• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Ming-Chi Kuo is one of the most reliable industry insiders that focuses more on Apple but often times reports on other things. This is a far cry from the previously reported 50% cut in production but it also refutes Sony's claim that they "have not cut production numbers", maybe they used funny word play to make that statement or this cut happened afterwards?
Some critical updates on the sales/shipments of AR/VR headset devices:

1. Sony has cut its 2023 production plan for the PS VR2 by about 20%.

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I know US makes it weird because of PS Direct, but anecdotally here in Canada the thing is on the shelves everywhere, it ain't moving.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Makes sense, this was a hard sell in a tough market. Glad I didn't buy in, this thing probably won't see even Vita-level support

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised. Niche market, expensive, and only works with another expensive product.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I wonder if Sony has some sort of game plan to capitalize on Black Friday this year to get headsets moving cause I know I'd buy one for the right price on sale and I'm sure others would too

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
At least 20% sounds more believable than the older rumors, could be worse I guess. But at the current lineup it's just not particularly appealing to me.

Seiniyta

Oct 25, 2017
I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it also was out of the box compatible with PC. By all accounts it seems like an amazing headset, but limiting it to the PS5 seems like a poor choice in a still niche market.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
To be honest, Sony really needs to do the work to justify this thing in terms of software. Other devs have brought some good stuff, but Sony itself hasn't been making a particularly good case.

However, this thing is good hardware, it could easily have legs for a long ass time.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah…. No killer game apps and no backwards compatibility. I wanted it but can't justify it. The tech is good too

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i really want one but i can't justify the price. I mean.. even if i did at full price there are too many other games and expenses to justify it right now.

Plus a lot of the VR hype has subsided, poor marketing. And yeah having to go through PS direct in the US also.. idk what they expected. I see PS TV/ online ads all the time, but nothing on the VR2. I bet people don't even realize they made a new one they can buy right now.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I want a PSVR2 more than I want my PS5 at this point lol. Someday. That price is a bitter pill to swallow but for VR GT7 and Resident Evil, I'm gonna put down for it someday.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
they shouldnt be surprised after that recent state of play showed a bunch of vr games that blended in together

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
If it was compatible with PC, I would have bought them... but they need a price reduction too, they are too steep :S

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I know US makes it weird because of PS Direct, but anecdotally here in Canada the thing is on the shelves everywhere, it ain't moving.
And it's not going to. The thing costs more than the console, I don't know what Sony was thinking.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
It's too expensive and you can't even buy it in a store in the US. Love playing GT7 in VR though, it's really a transformative experience but the price and availability combined with a lack of big games just doesn't make sense.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
For whatever reason, everytime when it comes to VR threads, its always people wanting it to fail.

It has always been a niche market, and PSVR2 has a higher price tag than the console itself. Are people really expecting it to sell millions like hotcakes???

If you don't own a PS5 already, buying a PS5 + PSVR2 will set you back over $1000 USD. Not many people are willing to fork out that amount of money for something that has a closed ecosystem.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
price price price

Relying on a wired console connection could be a negative for people, but not necessarily impossible to overcome. That combined with the huge cost sink though is a real tough sell.

Sucks, because I'm sure it's a great experience, but in essence Sony created a huge barrier to entry.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Mine is collecting dust at the moment because I just can't be bothered to deal with the atrocious IQ because of those shithouse lenses. Once I barreled through the launch line-up, I just haven't had any games that aren't available elsewhere that are enough of a reason to power through my hardware frustrations. Massively disappointing.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
The time for mainstream VR has not come yet, and if those other companies want Metaverse to be a thing so hard, they gotta find a way to make the cost of entry much cheaper.

OP
OP

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
For whatever reason, everytime when it comes to VR threads, its always people wanting it to fail.

It has always been a niche market, and PSVR2 has a higher price tag than the console itself. Are people really expecting it to sell millions like hotcakes???
I feel like most people are just laying out the reasons why this production plan cut makes sense: it's expensive, no PC support, and there are just no killer VR games. I wouldn't describe that as wanting it to fail. Personally, I am disappointed that the headset is wired to a beefy console and like 90% of its games are upscaled Quest games. I really hoped that Sony would be the last bastion of AAA VR and had a continual release cycle of must-play VR titles. Maybe they do it later, but the way they launched this thing doesn't inspire confidence and it feels like they see the writing on the wall.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
The upcoming showcase should give us a much better idea about the next wave of software beyond the launch stuff.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017

the psvr2 threads on redflagdeals are filled with people saying it sucks and discussing how to return it. A lot of people exploiting Costco and Sonys return policy. I don't see sales recovering regardless if there's a price drop.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

I wonder if it's PS Direct only in the US because of price. Maybe Sony just breaks even at the current price point and if they had to sell them at US retailers they would need to either charge more (which would cause them to move fewer units) or sell them at a loss to retailers.

But yeah I'm not surprised it's not really moving off store shelves in Canada.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's controversial to say that I'm pretty sure everyone predicted this.

• Not wireless
  • High price point
  • No killer app exclusives at launch
It was doomed before it even launched. Sent to die.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
The time for mainstream VR has not come yet, and if those other companies want Metaverse to be a thing so hard, they gotta find a way to make the cost of entry much cheaper.
This is why I think Sony should try to capitalize on PSVR2 deals for this Black Friday. They might not want to do a massive discount for PSVR2 already but the market has spoken. As it stands, the interest in PSVR2 is not there nor is strong enough for people to spend $550 USD w/o tax for the headset. And that's 550 without purchasing a single game for it too!

If they want people to get invested in the PSVR2 and want people to willingly buy a PSVR2, they're gonna need to do a ton of PSVR2 Bundles with different games at an affordable price for Black Friday this year. It feels like that's the only way to really flood the market with PSVR2 headsets and to get people to buy into the PSVR2 ecosystem willingly. They may, unironically, need to make a deal for the PSVR2 that people can't refuse on Black Friday.

And I know a lot of people think that PSVR2 needs a killer app to sell the headset to people but as true as that may be, I still don't think a killer app would be compelling enough for people to buy a PSVR2 due to its price unfortunately.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Bad sign but not surprising. Device is just not positioned for mainstream success. No wireless + needing an expensive console to plug into is a huge turnoff.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
PCVR enthusiasts are the ones who buy headsets at this price and this isn't compatible with PC. Furthermore, it has no killer apps, no BC and it's priced at 600 usd (requires a 500 usd ps5 too) when it's main competition is the Quest 2 that can be played anywhere.

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
I could drop £480 on a PS5 and gain the exclusive ability to play Demon's Souls and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, plus FFXVI, Spider-Man 2, and Wolverine when they release - plus a bunch of other enhanced-PS4 & multi-plat games.

I could then drop another £530 and play what, Horizon VR and Gran Turismo/Resident Evil ports?

The value proposition just isn't there in comparison even against the original PSVR lineup, and I know my PSVR is collecting dust by now.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
People in different platforms were quick to jump on my about my thought if this vs. Meta Quest 2, especially if you have a gaming rig and access to SteamVR (nearly every good title on PSVR2 is on SteamVR or Quest), but PSVR2 needs exclusives badly. It's better VR tech but it's just not convincing to own right now.

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's controversial to say that I'm pretty sure everyone predicted this.

• Not wireless
  • High price point
  • No killer app exclusives at launch
It was doomed before it even launched. Sent to die.

I see "killer app" mentioned a lot.
What would that be exactly for a VR device?

Oct 27, 2017
Mine is collecting dust at the moment because I just can't be bothered to deal with the atrocious IQ because of those shithouse lenses. Once I barreled through the launch line-up, I just haven't had any games that aren't available elsewhere that are enough of a reason to power through my hardware frustrations. Massively disappointing.
This is the first time I've read about someone not happy with the actual quality of the thing, except for maybe the head mount. What's wrong with the lenses and how do they compare to other headsets?

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
While you may be right about the "timing", what we know so far is that once the wire was removed and the headset was made standalone, there was significantly more interest in VR than EVER before.

What I feel we can learn from this (with the meta quest 2) is that convenience (and price) is a huge factor in how VR is adopted.

I personally think VR will catch on even more than the quest 2 if we can get the form factor even smaller/lighter — almost like a pair of shades. Once you can put it in your pocket/shirt pocket, it becomes a no-brainer to buy and use for entertainment/work/etc. Obviously, that is light years away, but it's something to think about.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
VR gaming is a fad. Sorry, but those are the facts.

It will exist with smaller titles and regular games that get vr modes.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I see "killer app" mentioned a lot.
What would that be exactly for a VR device?
Half Life Alyx was for PCVR for a hot bit.

We just routinely go back to the value proposition for the headset and I feel like Sony just didn't put enough thought into it?

Why, Where, and How?

Why do people want it? Outside of the limited games that it runs, what can you do with PSVR2?

Where are people going to use it? Most people do not have a space that is safe enough for VR. The living room is a terrifying prospect when playing games that could result in you accidentally punching your TV.

How are people going to get their hands on it? You can't just go out and buy one and the price is beyond unreasonable for what it is.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think VR will ever take off until the technology can be compacted into a pair of glasses and be priced accordingly. It's just too early