Oct 25, 2017
México
GLD2H1IWIAAgGdh

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Then shut the fuck up.

Rude much?

I happen to agree that I have a much better idea of how much a game was worth to me after playing it than before. With the mediocre reviews I wound up buying Bard's Tale IV on sale for $6 or something absurd years after the fact, and would gladly have tipped several times that after playing it. On the other hand, I was skeptical enough to buy Fallout 4 for $20 and still felt ripped off. Reviews can only do so much to tell the story of whether a game will delight and inspire me or feel tired within a few hours.

Everyone's financial circumstances differ, and a "pay what it's worth to you" model is probably doomed from the outset because so many come in with an attitude that only suckers would voluntarily pay more than the absolute minimum you can get away with – but I often tip artists because they generally make a pittance for their work, and it's meaningful to me.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Rude much?

I happen to agree that I have a much better idea of how much a game was worth to me after playing it than before. With the mediocre reviews I wound up buying Bard's Tale IV on sale for $6 or something absurd years after the fact, and would gladly have tipped several times that after playing it. On the other hand, I was skeptical enough to buy Fallout 4 for $20 and still felt ripped off. Reviews can only do so much to tell the story of whether a game will delight and inspire me or feel tired within a few hours.

Everyone's financial circumstances differ, and a "pay what it's worth to you" model is probably doomed from the outset because so many come in with an attitude that only suckers would voluntarily pay more than the absolute minimum you can get away with – but I often tip artists because they generally make a pittance for their work, and it's meaningful to me.
this is a wildly different situation though, nobody minds tipping an artist that made great work for you
but in this situation here A) would the money most likely not go to the artists but fill the pockets of executives and shareholders and B) even if it actually went to the developers it would just become another way for management to pay actual developers less

there ist just no way that in todays greed and mismanagement in this industry this could turn out into anything positive for the people who would deserve it

Twohearts

Banned
Feb 8, 2024
Straya
I've bought SLARPG like 3 times just to support the dev because a lesbian furry rpg is the best idea ever, so I would totally do this for games that I really truly loved, like Deltarune (Have official merch) Ace attorney (have official merch), Paleo Pines (don't have merch yet), and other cool smaller games. No way in hell I'd ever tip someone like Sony though unless they brought back Sly Raccoon. and also to echo what everyone else is sayig, of course publishers would abuse it.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
As a game developer, thanks but NOPE.

Now, for a small indie team? Maybe buy the game again for a friend as a gift or something, but straight up tipping is just poison.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
there ist just no way that in todays greed and mismanagement in this industry this could turn out into anything positive for the people who would deserve it

You can make the same argument for buying games, renting games, game subscriptions, etc. If the premise is that the entire industry is going to grind developers into the ground then you're pretty much screwed regardless. I prefer to believe that, given better options to more directly support games that appeal, consumers will have a more direct impact on what it is that developers decide to devote their efforts to.

It's one of the reasons that subscriptions don't appeal in the least – it creates more levels of indirection between what I value and who gets paid to practice their craft. More middle management and executive mismanagement is likely to occur when I'm less directly able to support a developer. It's part of the reason I go out of my way to find and support indie productions right now. That's why games like I Was A Teenage Exocolonist, Stray Gods: A Roleplaying Musical, and even Baldur's Gate 3 are the sorts of productions in which I see hope for the future of gaming. Even Marvel's Midnight Suns with its obvious ties to mega-corporation IP was something I was happy to buy at full price when it launched, because it was clearly a passion project for so many who were involved.

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022
You know Mike you really should've thought more about keeping your mouth shut. What a horrible idea. As if there isn't enough overpriced crap in our games as it is. $70 for a game, $50 or more sometimes for a season pass, even more for MTX, and now he wants us to give them another $10 or $20 for a tip? Just absurd

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
You have to be careful driving down this avenue. It could lead to a slippery slope that has spiked traps at the bottom. The tipping culture is already out of control here in America and we don't need it in every medium.

Yeah, the thing in America where people in service jobs don't even get minimum wage and have to work for tips sucks. Up here in Canada and most of the world they still get minimum wage and you can chip in a few extra bucks if you think you got good service. I think that's fine, and I imagine that's basically what Ybarra was advocating. I doubt he was saying devs shouldn't be paid a proper base salary.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
lol not now not ever. But thats okays cause judging by this thread theres loads of people who'll be more than thrilled to tip and make up for me!
otoh how about we collectively turn games off near the end and youtube whats left o.o?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
A thousand fuck off Mike.

I would lend an ear if it was an indie talking about it but you? lol, lmao.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think the responsibility of fair pay for developers is up to managers and executives and not consumers, Mike!

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
In theory, if a developer is under a publisher, the publisher is going to get some unknown percent of each individual sale, not to mention things like engine fees, taxes, and platform cuts like Steam's.

You can buy the game again for somebody if you really liked it and want to support the developer, true. But the publisher would benefit significantly as well. A direct tip line would more directly support the developer, although there could potentially be a legal claim that the funds earned through any game, credit, or storepage-directed tip jar would still count as revenue of the game, and therefore still subject to publisher fees.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Publishers gonna open a patreon page for each of their games if Ybarra has anything to say about it.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't he in a leadership role at multiple companies where he could have conceivably made this happen if he thought it was a truly good idea? Yeah, not buying it.

unknown_nut

Sep 12, 2022
Tipping needs to go away period. It shouldn't be on the customer to pay the employee a livable wage. It should be on the company that employee works for.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I wouldn't trust a large company like Ubisoft to actually pass on any tips to the staff that developed a game. And indeed, for larger games with 1000s of people involved, you wouldn't imagine any given developer would get much of a share from a small tip anyhow...

That said, small indie developers should absolutely encourage people to donate, e.g., a Patreon, Ko-Fi or encourage offering more for a game on Itch.

RaphaBE

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
California
Going to go against the grain here - I don't think that would be unreasonable. People are up in arms because he used the term "tip", but I don't think that's any different than donating to content creators. It'd also be entirely optional without any pressure whatsoever, since it'd be anonymous. In other words, I think it's a lot more comparable to the non-American version of tipping (when you think someone went above and beyond) than the American version (essentially mandatory with possible repercussions when you don't tip). Maybe I'm not as cynical as the majority of people here.

I wouldn't trust a large company like Ubisoft to actually pass on any tips to the staff that developed a game. And indeed, for larger games with 1000s of people involved, you wouldn't imagine any given developer would get much of a share from a small tip anyhow...

That said, small indie developers should absolutely encourage people to donate, e.g., a Patreon, Ko-Fi or encourage offering more for a game on Itch.
Things are not black and white though. I don't necessarily disagree that it would be hard to trust a developer like Ubisoft, but there's a wide swath of situations between Ubisoft and that one guy creating a game in his spare time. Which ones of those deserve donations (whether through Patreon or directly in game) and which ones do not? Where do you draw the line? I'll take Larian as an example - it's an independent studio that put out an amazing game. As far as I know, it's also a great place to work at and they pay their developers fairly. I'd have zero issues with giving them a little bonus.

Last edited:

Re-Tails

Aug 16, 2020
lmao, please no. Just pay your devs properly ffs.

Actually good question raised by many above, why the fuck would I want to be tipping ABK/EA/Ubi after paying money for their games? Knowing that this money will never go to the people who made the game.

BK0X

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not American, so the whole tipping culture looks incredibly idiotic to me (no offense to Americans). Just buy the DLCs if you really like the game so much...?

Lyriell

Oct 27, 2017
No, put prices up if its necessary to keep a company in business. I don't mind variable prices... but get wrecked with tipping culture and who exactly does the money go to when hundreds of people contributed to a game?

Tips are dumb and its better to just pay eveyone better.

EvaUnit787

Aug 6, 2023
Hell No

Give US more if we actually get a platinum or equivalent, since that is just a waste of time mostly. Some avatar or background would be ok. Something

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Yeah during the credits, just list all the paypal accounts of everyone that worked on it.

That way we can select who we think did the best job on the game and tip them for it.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Hell nah to the nah to the nah. You wanna tip then just buy a copy for a friend. But shut up advocating this crap.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I purchased takeout tonight (at a chain) and went to pick it up myself. I had to go through like three screens when I paid via debit to refuse the tip. I'm a generous tipper. I always tip when I get delivery, get a cab, go to a restaurant and eat-in, stay at a hotel and get my luggage brought up as well as for room service, etc, but I'm not going to tip for someone to hand me a bag. If they don't like it, I'll step behind the counter and get the bag myself.

As for tipping when I finish games? Hell no. They're already just under $100 here in Canada. If I like a game, I'll give it as a gift to a friend or family member but that's about it.

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah tipping culture can absolutely do one. It's an awful Americanism that's an excuse for not paying staff well.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I just finished Assassin's Creed Odyssey and I wish I could give the devs a tenner as a tip. Once they split it up they will have half a cent each

javiBear

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'd love to tip the game devs, but the problem is that they usually get fired as soon as the game is shipped. Who would my tip go towards in that case, Mike?

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
In theory, if a developer is under a publisher, the publisher is going to get some unknown percent of each individual sale, not to mention things like engine fees, taxes, and platform cuts like Steam's.

You can buy the game again for somebody if you really liked it and want to support the developer, true. But the publisher would benefit significantly as well. A direct tip line would more directly support the developer, although there could potentially be a legal claim that the funds earned through any game, credit, or storepage-directed tip jar would still count as revenue of the game, and therefore still subject to publisher fees.
Direct tip line set up by publisher of the game... I mean I can't see how anything but a tiny percentage of that goes to any actual devs - it would basically be like Spotify cheques for musicians, 0.00025c and before long the publisher would set up a tip threshold where they don't pay anything out if it doesn't get a certain amount of tips... if you're a smaller indie company where the devs own the company together, I suspect something like a patreon where fans can get behind the scenes insight/pre-release footage/dev diaries etc... is more useful than a "tip jar" anyway

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
I don't dislike the idea, but someone making games the quality of Blizzard should only expect tips in the form of "please finish making the next game before releasing it."

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
There have got to be better ways of directly supporting the individual developers rather than introducing a broken American tipping system into an industry that doesn't need it and shouldn't use since all the proceeds would go to the publisher anyway.

I'd love to tip the game devs, but the problem is that they usually get fired as soon as the game is shipped. Who would my tip go towards in that case, Mike?
Probably the same place it would go towards even if the devs weren't fired / laid off. The publisher/ business owners.

c2c

Mar 4, 2021
Funny how Mikey lists a bunch of games that sold for $60 as $70 games that he thinks people should be able to pay tips for.