Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
mike-tyson-mysteries-adult-swim-tv-show.jpg

Ugh, Era I am hurting.

I was listening to a random podcast with Larry Dorf where he confirmed that Mike Tyson Mysteries was canceled earlier this year. The good news is, the three main writers will continue to work together on a new project for Warner Bros.

For those of you not aware, Mike Tyson Mysteries is an animated comedy show on Adult Swim staring former heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson. He travels around the countries solving mysteries with a talking pigeon, a 19th century ghost, and his adopted daughter. This show perfectly nails the look and soundtrack of a classic 70s era Hanna-Barbera detective shows.

It's a really funny, really clever, very strange show that deserved a lot better than it got. Heck, I only saw it last year! You can find the first three season on Hulu though you can probably expect them to make the HBO Max jump whenever their current contract runs out.

I suppose I should be happy that it even got 70 episodes...but god damn it.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
New episodes were still being made? I've enjoyed what I've seen but I assumed it ended a while back.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed this show on occasion, mainly due to how weird if was. Sucks we don't at least get a finale.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea it was still going, and definitely didn't know they made 70 episodes. That show used to have me dying most episodes. Then hearing Mike Tyson talk about it during Comic Con 5 years ago also had me in tears.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I enjoyed the show but thought it had ended awhile ago, will get around to watching whatever I've not seen

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Pigeon brings the whole thing down. Mike, Marqeuss(the real show stealer) and Yung are all brilliant.

I put side characters over pigeon.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the show and some of its off-the-wall stuff. I also enjoyed the show Nobodies that the 3 creators worked on together. I look forward to seeing what the three of them come up with next cause I'll definitely check it out.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Problematic associations aside I'll still miss this show. It's one of the most absurd and off the wall animated series ever.

JoseJX

Oct 26, 2017
Disappointing, but not surprising. It was definitely some great surreal comedy. My favorite bit still has to be Heavyweight Champion of the Moon. It's basically perfect and they never quite topped it. My wife and I still do the "fender-bender" bit haha.

I'll definitely be on the lookout for whatever the writing group moves on to next though!

OP
OP
Video Games Are Dumb
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I enjoyed the show and some of its off-the-wall stuff. I also enjoyed the show Nobodies that the 3 creators worked on together. I look forward to seeing what the three of them come up with next cause I'll definitely check it out.

I just learned about this today! And yes, I guess Davidson got the deal and brought on the other two.
I don't really know much about him but he was able to keep Adult Swim notes away from the writers room.
Which is pretty dang amazing considering how much that show must of cost!

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that really sucks. I was just going through the back catalogue and thought it was fantastic. Will definitely check out what the writers do next.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Putting Mike's past and Norm Macdonald's shittyness aside, I really love this show. The show ending isn't the end of the world for me but it is disappointing. At least the old episodes will still be around and I can re-watch those

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
It had a good run. I still find it surreal this is something that actually exists.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being held accountable doesn't make you a better person for doing awful things.
Surely you can acknowledge that Mike's changed for the better? He has been a force for good and an inspirational figure for years now. If you think he's a horrible person, so be it but I believe it's rather obvious that he's not the same guy he was in his 20s. He didn't get away with anything (rightly so) and learned his lesson.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

After serving time, and by all accounts being rehabilitated (which should be the purpose of prison), what makes you say he's not a better person now than he was? Should ex felons never be allowed to work again? I've never seen the show or even heard of it, and not a fan of mike Tyson, but what's the point of excommunicating people from society after they have paid their debt and have changed their ways? If they don't have any opportunity after all that, may as well just let them rot in prison.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Some people don't want a lifetime ban on him. He was actually held accountable, put in prison, and to my knowledge, hasn't done something like that since in over 20 years.

People can fuck up, commit crimes, and reform. He has a much better case of having legitimate fans/supporters of his work than many of the others out there who have escaped accountability.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Probably for the best. It was pretty damn good earlier on but the last handful episodes ended in a way that was just for the shock value. Glad to hear the team has another project in the works as I think they done good work on this show and their previous live action sitcom. Would love it if they gone back to a previous project Davidson worked on, "Young Person's Guide to History." Now that show was funny as hell.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Surely you can acknowledge that Mike's changed for the better? He has been a force for good and an inspirational figure for years now. If you think he's a horrible person, so be it but I believe it's rather obvious that he's not the same guy he was in his 20s. He didn't get away with anything (rightly so) and learned his lesson.

I think when it comes to sexually abusing women, sure, he's probably turned around. But then again, he also endorsed and campaigned for Donald Trump in 2016. When Tyson Fury made really homophobic, transphobic, and anti-semitic, hateful comments, Mike Tyson defended him publicly. Few celebrities who are convicted rapists, public Trump supporters, and defenders of people who shared really abhorrent views would be given a pass here for starring in a funny cartoon -- but Mike Tyson is one of those people who can seemingly walk that line.

It would seem that Tyson still defends Donald Trump, as recently in an interview in 2019, where Tyson says he gets the criticism of Trump from black people, but he won't call Trump a racist. His defense of that position is that Trump is his friend and Trump stuck his neck out for Tyson, so Tyson won't criticize Trump that way.

Tyson is one of those people who I think is a predator, but also a victim. 25, 30 years after his most known predatory behavior, he's someone who I feel bad for some of the time. I think he was probably a victim early in his life, and then was never properly shown how to be an adult by the people who tried to latch onto him and use him for his insane talent... He was raised to be a killer, and turned to violence. And people like Don King or Don Trump, who seemingly befriended Tyson when he was at his lowest, he was used by them as much as he was helped by them, and I think he probably has a hard time breaking away from that. But, still, I think we're willing to make excuses for Tyson where we wouldn't with other people.

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
my point is that he was charged saw legal action. nothing will ever provide his victim with comfort. She is forever scarred. At the same time, as progressives, don't we also want former prisoners to be rehabilitated and lead lives where they can be economically productive while avoiding recidivism.

but yes he should've gotten more years.

Last edited:

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I just learned about this today! And yes, I guess Davidson got the deal and brought on the other two.
I don't really know much about him but he was able to keep Adult Swim notes away from the writers room.
Which is pretty dang amazing considering how much that show must of cost!
I'm glad he brought them. The trio seems to work well with each other. I thought they just came as a package and had no idea Davidson was connected to AS. I just remember watching the credits one day and actually recognizing some names and then realized who they were. And only after that could I hear some of their voices in the characters.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Mike Tyson sucks.
Norm McDonald sucks.

This show was hilarious, and it's cool that the people that made it are working on something else.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
my point is that he was charged saw legal action. nothing will ever provide his victim with comfort. She is forever scarred. At the same time, as progressives, don't we also want former prisoners to be rehabilitated and lead lives where they can be economically productive while avoiding recidivism.

A very small number of humans get exalted to the status, wealth and influence that Mike Tyson has had for decades after his rape conviction. I'm not saying that he shouldn't be allowed to work, that he shouldn't be allowed to have a good life, or even that he shouldn't be allowed to be a public figure. But I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that we can do better than to create television shows in the honor of a convicted rapist who got served a relatively soft-ball sentence, which he didn't even serve half of.

I say this as someone who genuinely believes Tyson has become a rehabilitated and good person at this point in his life.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Probably for the best. It was pretty damn good earlier on but the last handful episodes ended in a way that was just for the shock value. Glad to hear the team has another project in the works as I think they done good work on this show and their previous live action sitcom. Would love it if they gone back to a previous project Davidson worked on, "Young Person's Guide to History." Now that show was funny as hell.
I love the show, but I do agree that their over-reliance on unexpected shock value started to make the show's unpredictability painfully predictable. I think it was still worth watching though, and I am sad that it's cancelled.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tyson supported Trump in 2016 lest anyone forget.
ftw.usatoday.com

Mike Tyson just endorsed Donald Trump for president

Former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson is attempting to play kingmaker before the 2016 presidential elections. Speaking to HuffPost Live on Monday, Tyson, who was convicted of rape in 1992, talked …

According to this March 2020 article, Mike Tyson has endorsed Trump again for re-election:

www.click2houston.com

This is who celebrities are endorsing in the 2020 presidential election

Here’s are some of the top endorsements for Decision 2020.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Mike Tyson is a rapist and a wife-beater and he has apologized for neither and continues to say his ex-wife deserved to be hit.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017

this is bullshit. Look up anything he has said about his Robin Givens in the last decade or in his book. He is a wife-beater and he won't take any accountability for it.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Mike goes to the doctor for bites all over his body. Doctor says "you have mite bites". Mike misunderstands and says "Mike bites?" Then he says something like "you'll have to talk to Evander Holyfield. He knows all about those Mike bites." Had me rolling.