KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
logo-light.3def3bc.png

Today, we are excited to announce the official launch of our all-new, forward-thinking brand, HoYoverse. The brand aims to create and deliver an immersive virtual world experience to players worldwide through a variety of entertainment services.

HoYoverse will expand its content production, technology research, and publishing duties through operations in offices in Montreal, Los Angeles, Singapore, Tokyo, and Seoul. With global talent and employees located around the world, HoYoverse will continue to research and develop cutting-edge technologies to enhance its capacities and capabilities to provide high-quality content that enhances and optimizes the player experience.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why you would drop the brand that has credibility but okay. Still gonna call them Mihoyo

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This must be one of the weird steps they're taking to avoid CCP control. They recently threw together a Singapore based subsidiary called Cognosphere that now handles publishing their games outside of China.

www.gamerbraves.com

Genshin Impact Has A New Publisher Named Cognosphere

Genshin Impact has officially changed its publisher from miHoYo to Cognosphere, though it's not the massive paradigm shift you might

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
This must be one of the weird steps they're taking to avoid CCP control. They recently threw together a Singapore based subsidiary called Cognosphere that now handles publishing their games outside of China.

www.gamerbraves.com

Genshin Impact has officially changed its publisher from miHoYo to Cognosphere, though it's not the massive paradigm shift you might
and yet we still getting censored in us and eu
:/

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So that HoYoverse doesn't have to conform to the same CCP censorship as MiHoYo does (I assume).
GTFO of CCP's censorship, here's why

www.gamerbraves.com

huh, I figured they could have just make two builds under the same name

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
So funny to see these companies scramble to align their name so that it's similar to Facebook's parent company.

Not even close to "forward thinking".

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Huh... Is this an attempt to rebrand themselves as more of a global and less of a Chinese company/brand and maybe to bypass CCP regulations?

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a good name but hey, if this is partly to get away from CCP censorship then I'm all for it. Recently they put out those alternate outfits for Jean/Rosaria/Mona/Amber and while they were only mandatory for the China servers in gameplay, they did retroactively make all instances of those characters wear the alternate outfits instead of the original ones in pre-existing quests/cutscenes (and any future appearances) for global servers.

Which in and of itself isn't a big deal I suppose, but the fact that they're having to compromises on some things for other servers too just because of CCP is not good for future content because who knows what totally normal plans might have to get scrapped or modified because of it. Hopefully they can keep the censorship on China servers entirely contained there going forward with this move.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
See, mihoyo sounds like some made up word, but bringing attention to the "hoyo" part sounds like a joke name in Spanish because that word means hole.

Just looked up the term holeverse online to see if I was alone on this and it gave me some discord screencaps of anal jokes.
e28cb1b6e5.jpg

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
See, mihoyo sounds like some made up word, but bringing attention to the "hoyo" part sounds like a joke name in Spanish because that word means hole.

Just looked up the term holeverse online to see if I was alone on this and it gave me some discord screencaps of anal jokes.
e28cb1b6e5.jpg

I mean, mihoyo is literally worse. It means "my hole" in Spanish. It has been the butt of the joke (Get it? :D) for years now lol

Hoyoverse is an (slight) improvement over that, I think!

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I mean, mihoyo is literally worse. It means "my hole" in Spanish. It has been the butt of the joke (Get it? :D) for years now lol

Hoyoverse is an (slight) improvement over that, I think!
Well, with mihoyo I actually pronounce the h as I always recognise and read it as an asian name. It'd need to be separated for me to read it as "mi oyo".

But hoyoverse is straight to the point. As soon as I see the word I have already pronounced it wrong.
I need to make an effort to remember that you're supposed to pronounce that h, as to me to identify that as a foreign word it'd need to be written as "Hojo", like the japanese name. It's as if you wanted me to read Hola as Jola. I just can't.

But now that I think about it even the correct pronounciation can be taken as a joke because "Joio" sounds a bit too much like "Jodido" in southern Spain.

Last edited:

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
This is great news if it prevents the state censorship even in the global version. I don't want to see Mihoyo's vision of designs be ruined cause of the CCP. The news of the forced outfits in cutscenes already pissed me off a lot.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
What is this obsession with Metaverse? Also if meta and verse mean more censorship, they better stay out there.
Alos metahumans anow PUBG following.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Given Mihoyo's love of multiverses the name makes some sense to me. Most of their games are already connected in a multiverse, and just Honkai 3rd by itself contains several parallel universes as a core part of its storytelling.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
It's funny how much of this metaverse stuff just sounds like a bad parody of the dot com bubble, like sit com bad. I just imagine Jen telling Moss and Roy...

"Oh we're changing our name to Renholmverse now, moving into the metaverse"
"the what verse?"
"the metaverse, it's, you know, the metaverse"
"you have no idea what it is do you?"
"of course I do, it's the metaverse!"
"then what is it then?"
"okay I have no idea what it is. But I don't have to know what it is, because no one knows what it is."

The IT department gets called to do a talk on the metaverse for shareholders, hilarity ensues as they speak utter nonsense and the shareholders cheer and throw money at them