• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Engagement is MAU and any related statistics. It's basically the measure of how frequently users are interacting with a service, and the breadth of their interaction.

What is the basis of this? Do you have a source, or did Microsoft clarify the term any where? Quite curious, and specifics would certainly help.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Engagement is MAU and any related statistics. It's basically the measure of how frequently users are interacting with a service, and the breadth of their interaction.
Okay, and again, engagement has actual specific metrics. Like MAU, as you pointed out. Average revenue per user, that's another. Average time per session is another. I know what engagement is. I know the metrics used for it. Microsoft shared none of them and just threw a term out there. I can't have a discussion with something that vague.

Mar 11, 2018
User Warned: Drive-by comment.
Have fun being in last place Microsoft. Because you're going to be there for a long time.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
No.

What this means is the average Xbox player spends more money then the average Playstation player. Which is true, and is absolutely a bright spot for the brand.

But it's also pretty normal. The more a console sells, the more it sells to a less "hardcore" player base, which means the spend per player will be diluted. The first 10 million people to buy a system will always be more valuable than the next 10 million, and so on.

That's what I said...

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
I believe easy to gauge from third party games.

Maybe they reveal such things too or for example EA, Ubisoft etc. give them stats on platform engagement with their games.

Data from third parties on how much software they sell, time spent, etc.

Muh console wars
Ah, you guys are right.

You know, that actually does make sense that Xbox might have highest engagement. When it comes to games like CoD, Battlefield, etc, even though the PS4 has a bigger lead than the Xbox, I think I remember some of those games having like a 55/45 ratio for PS4/XBO. Though I think that's because PS4 has a lot more games than the XBO, discounting big 3rd party games which they most likely go their numbers from.

Deleted member 32563

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Ok please here me out...

No thread privileges yet...

But let's say game pass holds steady with great adoption however console sales for MS decline a bit next gen. We'll position that MS knocks it out the park with putting their games and BC games on the service.

But what does this mean if other pubs don't follow suit?
What would be MS game plan?

Which leads me to my next question would MS be able to create a big picture mode that runs say on a customizable steam machine type setup? Pull in new MAUs by basically creating Xbox drones from existing hardware out there?

Hopefully not a dumb ? And thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
But surely your average engagement per user drops the more users you've got?
Yep.

It makes sense when you consider places PS4 has made strides in this gen. The middle east, for example, has grown quite a bit gen over gen. However, the engagement there wouldn't be as significant for various reasons. I think the potential is there though. Sony just needs to keep investing in their network and services as more countries become more capable of engaging on higher levels.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
xbox-one-engagement-1072654.jpeg

Well damn that's pretty good.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
What is the basis of this? Do you have a source, or did Microsoft clarify the term any where? Quite curious, and specifics would certainly help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Customer_engagement#Online_customer_engagement

Okay, and again, engagement has actual specific metrics. Like MAU, as you pointed out. Average revenue per user, that's another. Average time per session is another. I know what engagement is. I know the metrics used for it. Microsoft shared none of them and just threw a term out there. I can't have a discussion with something that vague.

You are correct that there's very little here to discuss, since the metrics behind the statement are likely kept for investors and not for public use.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
So am I, as I am sure you have noticed. It's just hard to talk about something like this without any actual specifics shared.
For instance, let's assume Nintendo shares this statement tomorrow: The Nintendo Switch generates the most average happiness among its owners. How exactly do you even respond to a statement like that? You might even have a meaningful conversation about it if there were some actual metrics (smiles per play session? Cubic Centimeter of Endorphin Release per session?) shared, but without any of that, what are you supposed to say, exactly?
I wasn't really addressing you cause you were asking about the topic. which was my point. I agree the topic is vague especially without anything concrete but even then many topics devolve in similar fashion with or without good talking points. It was more of a commentary towards that.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No.

What this means is the average Xbox player spends more money then the average Playstation player. Which is true, and is absolutely a bright spot for the brand.

But it's also pretty normal. The more a console sells, the more it sells to a less "hardcore" player base, which means the spend per player will be diluted. The first 10 million people to buy a system will always be more valuable than the next 10 million, and so on.

Thank you for clarifying!

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Vita.

To try to act like the Xbox is as niche as the Vita is just.....well downplaying.
That isn't at all what I'm saying.

I'm just saying consoles that sell less / aren't as mass market tend to have higher engagement, historically. You heard of the Vita having the highest attach rate, that's because people who do buy it tend to be more into it in the first palce.

Xbox One has a higher concentration of hardcore Xbox fans, and therefore higher engagement. The PS4 sells to a wider demographic, including more casual players who are less likely to be as consistently engaged.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Been awhile since we got some high quality PR from MS. Feels nice.
But yeah, is it really all that surprising that their much smaller userbase on average "engages" more than PS4's? Not sure how they'd really be able to compare with the Switch, most games that are on both came much later to the Switch, so not really a fair comparison or really many examples.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...No. No it isn't. Please stop.
Yes it is? I am assuming, which is what the user said I was doing. What should I stop? Being honest about how I don't actually know what metrics are being used?

You are correct that there's very little here to discuss, since the metrics behind the statement are likely kept for investors and not for public use.
Sure, and I have no issues with that. But going back to the original point, I can't actually fault people who don't know how to respond to something that vague.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
I guess it makes sense.
The larger your user base is the more casual users you have. Thus, the average metric of active users over spending and play time, deceases because you have more casual players that don't finish games, don't buy microtransactions and overall play less.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I think this makes sense, even if Microsoft doesn't explain it very well. I suspect that people who stuck with the Xbox brand despite the rocky launch with Xbox One probably feel more attached to Xbox LIVE services (since they used them on Xbox 360) and probably engage with community features more. This probably makes them more likely to try other (new) services that're similarly community- and cloud-driven.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Customer_engagement#Online_customer_engagement

The very link you posted in response, states that it can basically mean any number of things. In other words, your conclusion was based on little more than assumptions. Thankfully Matt has confirmed it means amount of money spent by the user base, not necessarily monthly active users.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Xbox versions of games are absolutely not "more lucrative" than PS4 versions. PS SKUs will absolutely earn more $ than XB ones.

There's a multiplat game, maybe it was (edit, it's ass creed) now that I think about it, that appre toy has far more mtx sales on Xbox than on PlayStation. Either way this would cause the games to be more lucrative for the pubs on Xbox.

Things like DLC, MTX etc. Are huge parts of revenue and the idea of it offsetting overall sales to the higher PS4 userbase should be possible.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It would be nice to know, but frankly this information isn't really geared for plebs like us.

Who you calling a pleb?

:P

We need to get a resetera member on the board.

Yes. This is Nadella laying out a roadmap and then justifying the investments he's authorized. People need to stop with the "I've heard this before". They haven't. Nadella talking to investors is serious business. If he loses credibility with them, he's not going to stay as the head of Microsoft.

The reality is that you can get away with saying certain things as fact if you are tracking metrics that other companies don't track, or track if you them in a slightly different way that favours you. Hence people are asking what these metrics are because without that context these statements have little meaning and it greatly diminishes the opportunity for us to have an interesting discussion on this.

I'd like to think that when he was making these statements there would have been some supplementary information provided to the investors to provide them with some context. We wouldn't be privy to such information though.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
I think this makes sense, even if Microsoft doesn't explain it very well. I suspect that people who stuck with the Xbox brand despite the rocky launch with Xbox One probably feel more attached to Xbox LIVE services (since they used them on Xbox 360) and probably engage with community features more. This probably makes them more likely to try other (new) services that're similarly community- and cloud-driven.
Agree, most likely current Xbox users are the hardcore Xbox user base. Also, MS has been aiming to the hardcore market with the X and all those improvements for tech enthusiasts like 4k freemasters.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
There's a multiplat game, maybe it was (edit, it's ass creed) now that I think about it, that appre toy has far more mtx sales on Xbox than on PlayStation. Either way this would cause the games to be more lucrative for the pubs on Xbox.

Things like DLC, MTX etc. Are huge parts of revenue and the idea of it offsetting overall sales to the higher PS4 userbase should be possible.
I would appreciate it if you could back this up, because while it's certainly possible on an individual title basis, it's absolutely not normal.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Makes sense. PS4 engagement is diluted by being the de facto console of this generation, thus attracting more casual players.

Xbox on the other hand gets less of those casual players so it has a higher concentration of core players, especially the big Xbox fans that stayed with the brand. Those superfans are probably dropping tons on services, games (including through BC), etc, and it shows through more than on PS4.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
The very link you posted in response, states that it can basically mean any number of things. In other words, your conclusion was based on little more than assumptions. Thankfully Matt has confirmed it means amount of money spent by the user base, not necessarily monthly active users.

I wonder though...

Won't a great deal of games have higher MAUs on Xbox anyway? Titanfall did, and so do the cod games, no? .. Edit: apparently cod don't report player numbers anymore

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
Yes it is? I am assuming, which is what the user said I was doing. What should I stop? Being honest about how I don't actually know what metrics are being used?

Sorry. I thought you were agreeing with the whole "They're making shit up to impress people" thing, because they literally can't do that to investors (at least the "making shit up" part). I got peeved and jumped the gun. My bad.

Yeah. Admittedly, it isn't the best source. But it is what it is.

Although, I don't see how you got "not necessarily monthly active users" from what Matt said?

Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense. Sony captured the casual gamer audience that goes after CoD, Madden, Fifa, and the like. Those gamers likely don't play as much as a "hardcore" gamer. Basically Microsoft's install base has a larger percentage of it buying more things, spending more time with games.
Right.

Xbox has more concentrated users (core crowd buying into what Xbox does best).
PS4 has less concentrated users (All types of folk around the world with different reasons for buying)

MS also benefits from having started this stuff early with the OG Xbox. From all the way back then, they have encouraged their base to engage with the product in this way and they are seeing the benefit now.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
I would appreciate it if you could back this up, because while it's certainly possible on an individual title basis, it's absolutely not normal.

All I know for certain is that Ubisoft states they make more money from Xbox players. It would make sense that it would carry over across more games like Shadow of War, etc.

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, a lot of people on here really can't handle any positive Xbox news, no matter how small it is.
That's not true at all. We are just laughing our asses off that Microsoft can't present hard facts, when doing PR. This is vague to its core and if some of you guys say that he probably provided only his investors with the specifics then...why did we even get this statement?

So I'm asking you: Which positive news? What is this news even about?

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, a lot of people on here really can't handle any positive Xbox news, no matter how small it is.

I don't necessarily know if that's the issue. I think the main issue is that very often it is the case that out-of-context sound bites aren't often good material in and of themselves to drive a discussion. Like if this came up because Microsoft called a press conference to throw the gauntlet down at Sony and declare that Xbox rules and PlayStation drools, that would probably merit a reaction from normal gaming fans. But offering positive spin on an investor call? That's what every company ever will do.

There's not really much of an interesting story here unless you are super into business analytics.

Oct 25, 2017
No.

Exactly.