• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should we move to a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 86 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 80 20.4%
  • Wait until a couple weeks before E3

Votes: 226 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
The easiest, and one of the most pointless, if we're talking metascores. For instance, a game that everyone agrees is just OK may have the same or better metascore than a game that some people think is bad, and others think it's brilliant. Metascores are just a lazy shortcut that people love to use to justify their opinions. Individual opinions are all that matters, and all of them can be equally valid.
Sure, but a great metascore tends to mean more people tend to think the experience is great.

I mean we could sit here and argue that Halo 3 and Haze are of the same quality to some people, and that that's a valid opinion, but calling Metacritic useless or meaningless is just being reductive.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Metacritic are for gaming enthusiasts to swing their e-****s and sword fight each other. Let's not kid ourselves, most people don't give a rupee. :)

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The easiest, and one of the most pointless, if we're talking metascores. For instance, a game that everyone agrees is just OK may have the same or better metascore than a game that some people think is bad, and others think it's brilliant. Metascores are just a lazy shortcut that people love to use to justify their opinions. Individual opinions are all that matters, and all of them can be equally valid.

I completely disagree, but that's fine. Show me a game that "everyone agrees is just OK" that has an amazing Meta score. And even if you can name one or two from over the years, it's extremely rare. Metacritic is generally a great barometer for how games are received critically by the media and gamers as a whole. Of course people have personal preferences and differences of opinion. But it is downright silly to discount Meta when comparing the quality of game libraries.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I've been thinking about what PG could do to bring some real new stuff in Forza Horizon with FH4. I saw a clip of The Crew 2 and it had motocross racing, why not add that to FH4? Put dirt bikes in there, normal motorcycles etc.

Why not add things like ATV/quads in there? Or must Forza be cars and nothing but?

I actually do think bikes is the logical step for the franchise. PGR included bikes in 4 as well.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Crackdown 3 got an age rating in Brazil.

bildschirmfoto2018-0466pfu.png

https://generacionxbox.com/crackdow...do-en-brasil-pronto-podriamos-tener-noticias/
That picture at the top right, wtf is going on lol

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Hmm I think you can balance these two options. Fable just needs a reboot with far higher production values. That's kind of always what it needed.

I hope they can balance both. I remember loving the Molyneux pitch (lies) on the original but the final product never grabbed me.

On the topic of metacritic I think it's fine. I read it as a % of people who will enjoy this game. 95 score means 95% of the people will like it. 60% means 60% will like it. If you think of it this way it feels better.

Last edited:

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they can balance both. I remember loving the Molyneux pitch (lies) on the original but the final product never grabbed me.

On the topic of metacritic I think it's fine. I read it as a % of people who will enjoy this game. 95 score means 95% of the people will like it. 60% means 60% will like it. If you think of it this way it feels better.
Hmm that's more the rotten tomatoes formula. I guess you can look at the amount of positive, average, and negative reviews for that kind of approach!

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta

That would be more like a rotten tomatoes score, not a meta critic score.

Edit: Beaten, guess I should refresh the page before replying.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I stand by what I said, metascores and aggregate scores of any kind (but especially metascores, they're the worst offenders) are probably the worst things that happened to critical thinking about video games, and they shouldn't be used to directly compare merits of different games.

Of course, everyone is free to disagree, but if you try to use metascores, of all things, as a proper argument in a discussion about game quality, then that's a discussion that I will respectfully bow out of.

That's not what they mean, though, and it only proves my point - they can be different things to different people, and many people misinterpret their actual meaning (which for metascores is literally and exclusively "arbitrarily weighted averages of scores given by different outlets that Metacritic deems worthy of inclusion, that can't really be compared or lumped together because they use a variety of different grading scales, and it's not always the same outlets or even the same number of outlets contributing to those averages").

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I stand by what I said, metascores and aggregate scores of any kind (but especially metascores, they're the worst offenders) are probably the worst things that happened to critical thinking about video games, and they shouldn't be used to directly compare merits of different games.

Of course, everyone is free to disagree, but if you try to use metascores, of all things, as a proper argument in a discussion about game quality, then that's a discussion that I will respectfully bow out of.

That's not what they mean, though, and it only proves my point - they can be different things to different people, and many people misinterpret their actual meaning (which for metascores is literally and exclusively "arbitrarily weighted averages of scores given by different outlets that Metacritic deems worthy of inclusion, that can't really be compared or lumped together because they use a variety of different grading scales, and it's not always the same outlets or even the same number of outlets contributing to those averages").

Oh I fully understand the reality of the score and how its formulated. I personally choose to read the results differently because of the variables involved.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
It's not just Crackdown 3's delay and Scalebound's cancellation, its the general management of 1st party games that result in Xbox not being very consistent this late into the game along with their varying quality issues.
But that's what I'm saying. Had scalebound not been canceled this narrative wouldn't hold up. They have been consistent with releases other than last year

The fact that GAAS games don't always have glowing reviews out of the gate doesn't give SoT a pass, especially when it's MS's first new AAA IP debuting on a premier service like Gamepass.

I kind of enjoyed the game personally from my time with it but it has some very obvious and well documented issues. The game will of course get better over time but it doesn't make for a great first impression of 1st party for MS so far and I think it would have been more ideal to lead with a State of Decay 2 if it were possible.
Didn't say it deserves a "pass". I was just saying games reviews as they are currently structured don't really translate well to games that are ment to be played over a period of time.

Game seems to be a success with the people playing it. Like I said this stuff is all about narratives. SOT getting better review scores wouldn't change people's actual experience with the game or Xbox.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
I have to say if this rumor that the next Splinter Cell is exclusive to Xbox/PC turns out to be true, it could be a huge deal for Microsoft. It also wouldn't surprise me; Splinter Cell as a series has historically been closer to the Xbox brand than others.

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say if this rumor that the next Splinter Cell is exclusive to Xbox/PC turns out to be true, it could be a huge deal for Microsoft. It also wouldn't surprise me; Splinter Cell as a series has historically been closer to the Xbox brand than others.

Unless MS funded the game, its gonna be multiplat. Though, with ubisofts pedigree at this point, doubt they need help from MS.

Oct 26, 2017
I can't be the only one here that is rather excited for the reveal of Shadow of the Tomb Raider next week right? If you look at what they managed to do with the Xbox One hardware with Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow is probably going to look rather impressive on X.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm super excited for Shadow of the Tomb Raider! I liked Rise better than Uncharted 4 (both are excellent games though). The concern I have is that it's made by a different team than the first 2 games.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I don't want NT having another take at Ryse. The combat in their games always fall short.

And you can say what you want about Ryse, but the core combat mechanics were sublime and demanded perfect timing, specially in higher difficulties.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda sad that rumours of MS moneyhatting a (presumably timed) exclusive from Ubisoft is what passes for Microsoft first party and partner discussion though.
There's nothing sad about it. It's business and this thread is about Microsoft's Studios and Partners and any news or speculation we want to talk about pertaining to it.

Ciaran

Banned
Apr 17, 2018
There's nothing sad about it. It's business and this thread is about Microsoft's Studios and Partners and any news or speculation we want to talk about pertaining to it.

Relevant and worthy of discussion yes, but definitely a sign of the times.

I guess Microsoft's own quality first initiative is gonna take some time to bear fruit but it is sad it ever got to these lows.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I can't be the only one here that is rather excited for the reveal of Shadow of the Tomb Raider next week right? If you look at what they managed to do with the Xbox One hardware with Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow is probably going to look rather impressive on X.
Loved both of the new Tomb Raiders...can't wait to play Shadow.

Ehker

Oct 27, 2017
If someone working for PlayStation posted how they like GT Sport over Forza people would point it out. I imagine many here.

It might be from the heart and that's great, but if you work for the company it's just not going to come across unbiased as much as they want it to.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If someone working for PlayStation posted how they like GT Sport over Forza people would point it out. I imagine many here.

It might be from the heart and that's great, but if you work for the company it's just not going to come across unbiased as much as they want it to.

You just had Mike Ybarra wanting to play and stream God of War yesterday. All because they work for the company doesn't make them impartial.

As for you questions I don't think anyone would give a shit.

Ehker

Oct 27, 2017
You just had Mike Ybarra wanting to play and stream God of War yesterday. All because they work for the company doesn't make them impartial.

As for you questions I don't think anyone would give a shit.
Mike Ybarra isn't tweeting how he likes Tomb Raider better than Uncharted and is instead reaching across the aisle. People know his position with MS and maybe that'll bring people over.

Now if you work for one side and post how you like your games better I'm not sure that works the same, but I'm not touching this topic anymore. Everyone is free to post as they like, and I won't comment again.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Kinda sad that rumours of MS moneyhatting a (presumably timed) exclusive from Ubisoft is what passes for Microsoft first party and partner discussion though.
There was no talk about Street Fighter, or No Man's Sky, or Nier Automata on Sony threads? It seems odd to finding sad third party exclusives, something that has happened multiple times, on multiple gens, by multiple companies.

But if you ask me, I prefer a launch on Game Pass over a temporary exclusive all the way. Don't take nothing of nobody, and gives a lot to Xbox Users.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
There was no talk about Street Fighter, or No Man's Sky, or Nier Automata on Sony threads? It seems odd to finding sad third party exclusives, something that has happened multiple times, on multiple gens, by multiple companies.

But if you ask me, I prefer a launch on Game Pass over a temporary exclusive all the way. Don't take nothing of nobody, and gives a lot to Xbox Users.
If anything it used to happen much more than it does now. Games that spawned major franchises like Mass Effect, Bioshock, and Splinter Cell were all timed exclusives for Xbox. Today we'd all be screaming about "gross moneyhatting" if that happened.

Agreed that MSFT launching 3P games on game pass that they invest in instead of having exclusive content or timed exclusivity would be nice.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
I'm fine with Microsoft or Sony fully funding an IP as an exclusive if it was never going to happen otherwise. Not so much if it would happen, but it would take time.

If Sony were to fully fund a new Suikoden after buying the IP and making it an exclusive I would be fine with that. If Microsoft were do the same to Zone of Enders, I would be fine too. It's not like any of those were to ever happen.Then again, those aren't that great of examples, a better example is a dormant IP like Skies of Arcadia. If Microsoft or Sony would fully fund the creation of those kinds of games I'd be fine.

Also, I'm fine with timed exclusivity for games by new studios. Sometimes that can make or break development because otherwise they could go bankrupt.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks. Appreciate it. :)

I agree with a lot of this. On the more positive side I do think, barring any more misfortunes, Xbox is on an upward trajectory.

State of Decay 2 is coming, E3, Crackdown 3, Horizon 4, Ori 2, and on top of 2 long awaited timed exclusives in Below and Ashen. Hopefully great Halo, Gears, and Fable games beyond those as well.

Important components are being locked into place such as the reorganization of some of the Xbox executives, Gamepass, and a desire for expansion with streaming. Hopefully that type of stuff gives way to a better Xbox in 2018 and after.

Honestly, I just believe that it will continue to be more of the same. SOD 2, FH 4 and Ori 2 are the games im definitely interested in. Already have the ultimate edition for SOD 2 pre-ordered. Woohoo!!! Ashen simply isn't for me. Was interested in Below but three things turn me off to the game. One, it's roguelike or something like that. can't remember what it's called exactly but reading up on it, it reminds me of Rogue Legacy in that regard. You die and then come back as a different character or the dungeons are different when you die. Can't remember what it is but it's something along those lines that turned me off to the game. Second reason is the camera is too far out. Third, too dark but that could be based on game/TV settings.

No interest in Halo whatsoever but I do believe that it needs to be "special" again. Looking forward to Gears of War 5 but im expecting it to be a October 2020 game so it's still two and half years away. Fable is definitely next gen. Don't see any info or trailers until E3 2020 at the earliest. Not expecting the game until 2022.

The other stuff is great. Microsoft is lacking in one area and we all know what it is but I just don't see them doing anything about it but I would prefer to be proven 100% wrong.

I somewhat agree with this. Blacklist was a flop despite being multi-platform and I don't think the series will do as good as it once did. Also, if it's a single player stealth based assassination game, I'll be shocked if Microsoft pays for it to be exclusive in any way and I will wonder how well it sells on Xbox One if it does end up being an exclusive. With that said, I see the game being multi-platform with Microsoft having the marketing deal.

I personally enjoyed Rise of the Tomb Raider more than Uncharted 4, and can not wait for Shadow!

As everyone here knows, I heavily favor Sony and PlayStation 4 BUT at the same time, I also liked and enjoyed ROTTR more than Uncharted 4 to where ROTTR was my 2016 game of the year. Excellent game. Looking forward to seeing Shadow's trailer on Friday.

I'm super excited for Shadow of the Tomb Raider! I liked Rise better than Uncharted 4 (both are excellent games though). The concern I have is that it's made by a different team than the first 2 games.

Agree with this but im concerned as well. I believe that it's the Montreal studio that's working on Shadow as opposed to Crystal Dynamics who developed the first two games.

That's cool, but you work for MS, so liking Tomb Raider exclusive over Sony property won't really come across great.

I don't work for Microsoft and favor Sony and PlayStation 4 BUT I easily preferred ROTTR over Uncharted 4 so much so that ROTTR was my 2016 game of the year. ROTTR is in my opinion quite simply the better overall game.

Never played any of the Uncharteds, but I absolutely love the rebooted Tomb Raider games and can't wait for Shadow of Tomb Raider.

WOW!!! Seriously? You never played any of them? You should give them a chance. I'm not the biggest Uncharted fan overall but they do range from great to excellent. Looking forward to SOTTR as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.