• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should we move to a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 86 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 80 20.4%
  • Wait until a couple weeks before E3

Votes: 226 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it but in fairness, I do love Ubisoft's open world formula. Story/premise is good but the execution/ending was disappointing. It was the cover system, shooting and gunplay mechanics that kept me playing for 113 hours and 100% completion. That was two years ago at launch. I recently replayed it and put in 50 hours, got to level 30 so I could play the Underground and Survival expansions but you need PS+ for Survival and Underground's mission that starts it wasn't appearing on the map and people said that it was glitched. I only replayed the game so I could play the two expansions and didn't play either and had deleted my online save two years ago since I didn't think that I would play it again.

I can say that Massive added a LOT of extra content to the game so if you have a group, I can definitely understand why it's been resurrected and rebounded from what it was. If I was an online gamer, The Division would most likely be the only game that I would play. Back to single player, it is repetitive (but every game is) and will come down to if you like all the gunplay and shooting mechanics. The game is also deep in the RPG elements in regards to building the right weapons build. Do you go for power, tech or health? It all works.

One thing to let you know in case you haven't played it - is that it is an RPG so enemies don't die in one or two bullets. You can waste clips on enemies. I know what the game is so I don't have a problem with it. It's basically like an old school RPG where you would constantly slash enemies and use magic until their HP is gone and they die. Same thing in Division but with guns and grenades, etc.

For reference as to games I like, The Division was my second best game of 2016 behind ROTTR (ps4). FC Primal was third.
Of all the things I've heard The Division praised for, the premise is not one of them lol. It's kind of a weird fascistic fever dream of a plot.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly don't think that Microsoft has to be early nor come out at the same time as Sony. I think them coming out a year later is totally fine. Why do I say that? Because they need to focus on games and their services more than their hardware coming out at the same time as Sony. Come out with a more powerful console and you'll be fine. What they need are the games. I think all what they are doing right now is setting up their ecosystem with first party content so that THAT is the thing that wins people over. Think about it.

Come out with great 1st party games over the next 3 years.
Fix your store so it's attractive to people on PC
Come out with your console in 2021 that's the most powerful console (or just as powerful if comes out at the same time)
Have your 1st party games scale from XBO to Xbox V within the launch year to maximize the amount of game sales (with only 2 big XV/PC exclusives)

The focus that Microsoft needs more than anything is getting their PC efforts off the ground. Why? Because that puts them in a position where the console sales doesn't matter as much as it does this generation. That's what Microsoft is going for. Changing the game on what really matters. If they can get their Xbox UI, Store, and PC ecosystem where it can get people to use it, MS will do much better next generation.

Their focus on PC gaming is happening now. I forgot the user from Flashbulb games said MS was trying to get PC games on console and trying to get exclusivity. Why? There's a whole swath of games on PC that never make it to console. Look at PUBG, MS getting a PC game and putting it on console that wasn't looking to come to console that fast. That's where Play Anywhere also comes into play. A lot of people talk about PC users not using it, but as tech gets better, a lot of these Play Anywhere games can be played on much cheaper PC laptop or devices. Those gamers who have Xbox can also play on PC and can be monetized. This is an angle that Sony can't really emulate (well they can but I just don't see it happening).

I believe that we'll se a lot more games that are on PC come to Xbox. But ultimately I think MS should focus on exclusive content coming to their store, the experience between PC and Xbox, and making sure that their next console is on part or better than PS5. I think MS can take their time and just make good games. Nintendo has proven that as long as you make a good console and bring great content, people will buy it. MS just needs to focus on that and I'm sure that they are. I think they started caring for great content once I saw that Crackdown 3 was delayed. They saw the reactions, they saw what happened with ReCore, they saw how Ninty came out with Mario and skyrocketed, they waited a long time to let Rare do their thing with Sea of Theives...I think that they are finally learning. Great Content will beat all.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I like their consoles too, the X is like the best console I've ever had hardwarewise. But they didn't deliver the X or S or new 360 at their first try at the start of the generation. I don't think they have shown yet that they can be as good with their first iteration hardwares. (Excluding the surface which I clearly don't know much about...)

I don'ton know how you can be in electronics and not know about the surface lineup.

And in addition you just ignored the fact i pointed out that, given its priorities, the Xbox One is an excellent piece of hardware. Like, literally, it's better quality than the PS4. It's purposely larger to be quiet, and it is, which factored into my decision to get one. And it's not even super large in the first place. The PS4 is smaller and as a result loud as heck.

The launch Xbox One is only "worse" than the PS4 because of it's specs, and the specs of either console came from the same company, AMD.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Yup.

Another big thing was unified memory, which was probably the biggest reason why there was such a huge gap in visuals and performance in early 7th gen games (and also why Bethesda RPGs ran like complete butt on PS3 after 20-30 hours). It's hard to directly compare the 2 consoles due to their different components, and falling back on exclusives always seems like a copout to me - Naughty Dog are notorious for how well they optimize their games and if given the chance to make a 360 game no doubt could've produced a real looker. But we'll never know and are left comparing games with different engines and different areas of focus (compare enemy AI in Uncharted and TLoU to Halo and Gears for instance).

DF also raised the question back then whether DirectX was holding the 360 back, so that's another point. So not sure ND would have been able to pull the same kinds of stunts on 360 like they had on PS3, but that's obviously not the hardware's fault.

ashthedragon

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope we see a revival of any Rare old IP soon, specially Battletoads. All the signals were there for a few years, Ras appearance at Killer Instict, Battletoads at Shovel Knight, 'toads redesign for Rare Replay (only franchise who had that for that game!) ... also, some brutal, dark humor hack and slash exclusive title could be very interesting, some sort of a God of War answer from Microsoft, but with far more attitude.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Not happening for a million reasons, and regardless, the last thing we need is one company effectively controlling the entire games industry.
Personally speaking, rather than Microsoft making an impossible purchase I feel like I would be the better choice to purchase Sony and ensure that Pixels gets a video game sequel.

/s :P

..........................Okay, I think I need a break from gaming.

Don't bother, just report 'em.

chase beck

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
I've loved Microsoft this generation and after catching up on rumors, oh my god am I stoked. Even if Fable 4 by Playground is 4 years away I'm still so excited. Been wanting to pull the trigger on a One X for a while, but Forza Horizon 4 in Japan might make me do it. Coalition helping with the mechanical side of Perfect Dark sounds very promising as well. Heres to the future.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017

Microsoft Corp. could afford to buy the PlayStation brand, but Xbox itself wouldn't be able to handle the acquisition considering its budget is rather limited and they struggle with their own limited portfolio. Even if this happened, they would utterly mismanage the brand, probably shelve more IPs than Sony ever did, and projects like Dreams would never fly. No thanks.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
You know, on the discussion of MS Studios, I'm curious to know who works on the system applications like Upload Studio. Some of those apps need serious reworks (especially Upload Studio, and directing users to the desktop for trimming is not a good thing!).

Thankfully with the latest alpha I've noticed some setting menus now have a light theme and have an updated look/feel. Though I wish the dev team would incorporate more features for the IR blaster. There's a lot of potential there that's being squandered, and it doesn't play well with the HDMI-CEC devices like my PS4 and Switch. Wish they'd fix that.

rtv190

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft Corp. could afford to buy the PlayStation brand, but Xbox itself wouldn't be able to handle the acquisition considering its budget is rather limited and they struggle with their own limited portfolio. Even if this happened, they would utterly mismanage the brand, probably shelve more IPs than Sony ever did, and projects like Dreams would never fly. No thanks.
pretty sure he was baiting (just look at the dumbasses username)

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
If PD is coming back, just a hunch that it'll be completely different, im expecting third person shooter/stealth.

Id love that too.
I think it will be a more action oriented splinter cell game kind of like blacklist but with open level designs instead of linear like splinter cell devolved into during conviction.

Of course with cyberpunk art and themes to the story.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I think it will be a more action oriented splinter cell game kind of like blacklist but with open level designs instead of linear like splinter cell devolved into during conviction.

Of course with cyberpunk art and themes to the story.
That is my dream PD game. Id love to see how deadly Jo can be with hand to hand combat. Much like Sam Fisher in Blacklist.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Well, first up, the software situation is exactly the thing that they're trying to remedy at the moment (and coincidentally, that's also the main topic of this thread). Will they succeed? It's too early to tell, but the next generation is at least a couple of years away. I agree that right now Xbox faces an uphill battle when it comes to the power of the brand. By the end of the last generation they managed to achieve almost parity with PlayStation, but that was squandered away pretty quickly. However, the very success of Xbox 360 (which was neither significantly more nor significantly less powerful than PS3), together with the seesaw that Nintendo seem to be on with their systems, shows that those things are not set in stone.

Let's not presume that launching at the same time necessarily equals hardware parity. It does not, that could swing either way, based on the decisions made. One of them might even deliberately go for something more unique, like Nintendo so often does.

But if we do presume parity, then Sony certainly has an advantage in mind share, and an advantage in software. Microsoft, on the other hand, enjoys an advantage in services and pro-consumer policies (crossplay, Play Anywhere, mods, Game Preview, refunds, gifting, BC, EA Access, Game Pass and so on). If Microsoft decide to wait in order to be able to offer even better hardware, they might win on that front, but Sony will further improve their mind share, and their software situation (because PS5 will get a head start with third parties, just like Xbox 360 did in 2005). Nothing guarantees that Microsoft will win if they launch simultaneously with Sony - in fact, they might be in disadvantage overall - but I simply believe that their odds will further decrease if they decide to wait. Remember that hardware superiority guarantees nothing either, as Wii so clearly demonstrated last gen, and the importance of hardware might be even diminished in the future.

And you know, we're talking about "winning" and "losing", but it's not a clear-cut distinction, and there are multiple criteria. After all, platform holders primarily think about those things in terms of making money, and install base is just one thing that might help them achieve better results - a means to an end, not an end goal itself. A lot could change over the next few years - actually, things are bound to change, and they're changing already - and it's going to be interesting to observe.
Hmm, you made some great points here, I guess we'll see what happens going forward. I definitely agree that MS has a software/feature advantage right now, the backwards compatibility is awesome, Game Pass as well, Play Anywhere is really fantastic too for us PC gamers, makes me go for the Xbox/W10 version over Steam whenever Play Anywhere is available, no double dipping and no juggling multiple save files. But I think they need to push forward and be aggressive, features can easily be copied - Xbox Live/PSN, Achievements/Trophies, etc.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I'll be thoroughly depressed if Fable is Horizon ZD light and Perfect Dark is Uncharted light. How often have the Halo killers or Gears of War killers worked out by comparison? Microsoft shouldn't me-too. They've yet to find one exclusive linear story driven game that has made a mark. Sony seems to have the magic in that area where as Microsoft's studios have been at their best coming up with their own genre influencing gameplay hooks.

Hopefully Fable and Perfect Dark aren't constrained by trying to impersonate something else. What Fable means to the masses is Fantasy RPG. Perfect Dark means sci-fi James Bond. Outside of those things, I hope both IPs have their own hooks and identity. The first games in both franchises were really the only above average games for their time. Neither one of them hold up well today. It's why these are interesting franchises to reboot. Hoping we see a reimagining similar to what happened with Tomb Raider and Fallout.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be thoroughly depressed if Fable is Horizon ZD light and Perfect Dark is Uncharted light
Fable will still be Fable I have no doubt about that, the characters and dialogue alone will distinguish it from Horizon which to be honest had some rather robotic people.

If PD turns out to be 3rd person and story focused you shouldnt have to worry about it being like Uncharted. Uncharted and PD are vastly different, they shouldnt even be compared even if you were to turn it into a 3rd person shooter.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Well, first up, the software situation is exactly the thing that they're trying to remedy at the moment (and coincidentally, that's also the main topic of this thread). Will they succeed? It's too early to tell, but the next generation is at least a couple of years away. I agree that right now Xbox faces an uphill battle when it comes to the power of the brand. By the end of the last generation they managed to achieve almost parity with PlayStation, but that was squandered away pretty quickly. However, the very success of Xbox 360 (which was neither significantly more nor significantly less powerful than PS3), together with the seesaw that Nintendo seem to be on with their systems, shows that those things are not set in stone.

Let's not presume that launching at the same time necessarily equals hardware parity. It does not, that could swing either way, based on the decisions made. One of them might even deliberately go for something more unique, like Nintendo so often does.

But if we do presume parity, then Sony certainly has an advantage in mind share, and an advantage in software. Microsoft, on the other hand, enjoys an advantage in services and pro-consumer policies (crossplay, Play Anywhere, mods, Game Preview, refunds, gifting, BC, EA Access, Game Pass and so on). If Microsoft decide to wait in order to be able to offer even better hardware, they might win on that front, but Sony will further improve their mind share, and their software situation (because PS5 will get a head start with third parties, just like Xbox 360 did in 2005). Nothing guarantees that Microsoft will win if they launch simultaneously with Sony - in fact, they might be in disadvantage overall - but I simply believe that their odds will further decrease if they decide to wait. Remember that hardware superiority guarantees nothing either, as Wii so clearly demonstrated last gen, and the importance of hardware might be even diminished in the future.

And you know, we're talking about "winning" and "losing", but it's not a clear-cut distinction, and there are multiple criteria. After all, platform holders primarily think about those things in terms of making money, and install base is just one thing that might help them achieve better results - a means to an end, not an end goal itself. A lot could change over the next few years - actually, things are bound to change, and they're changing already - and it's going to be interesting to observe.

Agree about Sony's mindshare advantage if there's parity. That's why I don't believe the money Xbox is getting to invest will be to churn out a bunch of tried and true linear single player games to compete with PlayStation over the next couple years. They're going to start leveraging Cloud more. This is less about cloud power and more about cloud data collection and cloud connectivity. When people can leverage the cloud to play Sea of Thieves on their phone or data collected is used to take the Driveator concept to the next level...but in RPGs and action games...Microsoft will not only have carved their own corner of gaming, they'll also have sold connectivity of Microsoft services across all devices and marketed Azure.

If Xbox comes out in 2020 head to head with PlayStation, it will live or die based on how far they've leveraged cloud and cross connectivity. I see no other way for them to compete.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I don'ton know how you can be in electronics and not know about the surface lineup.
I already said I forgot about the surface, honest mistake. And we make industrial electronics at my work, there is literally no reason for me to have any experience in the surface lineup other than if I have a personal interest in them, I just mentioned my work when talking about that I have some knowledge in the complexity of creating electronics products.

And in addition you just ignored the fact i pointed out that, given its priorities, the Xbox One is an excellent piece of hardware. Like, literally, it's better quality than the PS4. It's purposely larger to be quiet, and it is, which factored into my decision to get one. And it's not even super large in the first place. The PS4 is smaller and as a result loud as heck.

The launch Xbox One is only "worse" than the PS4 because of it's specs, and the specs of either console came from the same company, AMD.
As for the hardware quality, I agree, but high quality isn't something that has helped MS compete with Sony except for maybe a few users. They need to have better specs imo, or be a lot cheaper maybe, hardware parity won't be enough when the Playstation brand is much bigger. Like someone said, it's an uphill battle for MS. I mean even if they made the exact same console and launched it half a year before the next Playstation, would it matter? I honestly don't think it would. :/

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fable will still be Fable I have no doubt about that, the characters and dialogue alone will distinguish it from Horizon which to be honest had some rather robotic people.

If PD turns out to be 3rd person and story focused you shouldnt have to worry about it being like Uncharted. Uncharted and PD are vastly different, they shouldnt even be compared even if you were to turn it into a 3rd person shooter.

PD stands a chance at having good gunplay, for starters.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If PD is 3rd person then I'm out. The original PD is one of my favorite games of all time and it sure as hell wouldn't be if it wasn't a First Person Shooter.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I already said I forgot about the surface, honest mistake. And we make industrial electronics at my work, there is literally no reason for me to have any experience in the surface lineup other than if I have a personal interest in them, I just mentioned my work when talking about that I have some knowledge in the complexity of creating electronics products.

As for the hardware quality, I agree, but high quality isn't something that has helped MS compete with Sony except for maybe a few users. They need to have better specs imo, or be a lot cheaper maybe, hardware parity won't be enough when the Playstation brand is much bigger. Like someone said, it's an uphill battle for MS. I mean even if they made the exact same console and launched it half a year before the next Playstation, would it matter? I honestly don't think it would. :/

Right but, you were implying the PS5 would be more powerful, because you said Microsoft wasn't as good, and I'm saying that's complete bull, because the only reason the Xbox One was worse than the PS4 was because of CHOICE, and it is clear their priorities are different this time around.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Coming from a long time graphics whore, I'd like to point out the games dominating this generation:
  • Minecraft (wasn't a looker last gen)
  • GTA 5 (a last gen game)
  • PUBG (jank and not finished. Best selling game to the hardware Master Race)
  • Overwatch (cartoony graphics)
  • COD (uses an outdated, last gen game engine)
  • NBA 2K, FIFA and Madden (sports games that have improved very little technically from last gen)
I'd argue that the single player games that have stayed fresh in the minds of gamers and have the most enthusiastic followings do so because there is something the community wants to keep talking about after the main campaign is over. (Last of Us, Witcher 3 or Soulsbourne).

It'll be about games...but more than that, how the games impact gaming communities. There are communities built around the above games (whether they annoy you or not). What exclusive games or features is Microsoft going to build their gaming communities around? The percentage is small to hit a Last of Us or Witcher 3 home run so they have to be focusing more on other stuff.

My point is that hardware won't win the masses next cycle. It only matters if the weaker console costs $100 more due to a peripheral most people don't want and the boss tells his base of consumers to go fuck themselves if they don't like his visionary policies in 2013...or if the boss tells his consumers to get a 2nd job to buy a console that is 50% more expensive in 2006.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right but, you were implying the PS5 would be more powerful, because you said Microsoft wasn't as good, and I'm saying that's complete bull, because the only reason the Xbox One was worse than the PS4 was because of CHOICE, and it is clear their priorities are different this time around.

Xbox One was worse due to Microsoft and their horrible Xbox One presentation and all the stuff they wanted to implement. Add in the $100 more and being stuck with Kinect and that pretty much ended the generation before it began. It wasn't that the consumers actually made the choice, it was Microsoft who made the choice for them by trying to implement all that stuff which in turn pissed everyone off including all the loyal Xbox 360 fans.

Sad part is that exclusives wise, Microsoft was better at launch (even though I think that AC4: BF was the best overall game available on both platforms) but it didn't matter. All those decisions basically buried them even before Xbox One was released. If it wasn't for all that crap, I always believed that it would have been 52%-48% going either way.

Either way, that's all in the past. Microsoft just has to learn from it all and simply not do it again.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox One was worse due to Microsoft and their horrible Xbox One presentation and all the stuff they wanted to implement. Add in the $100 more and being stuck with Kinect and that pretty much ended the generation before it began. It wasn't that the consumers actually made the choice, it was Microsoft who made the choice for them by trying to implement all that stuff which in turn pissed everyone off including all the loyal Xbox 360 fans.

Sad part is that exclusives wise, Microsoft was better at launch (even though I think that AC4: BF was the best overall game available on both platforms) but it didn't matter. All those decisions basically buried them even before Xbox One was released. If it wasn't for all that crap, I always believed that it would have been 52%-48% going either way.

Either way, that's all in the past. Microsoft just has to learn from it all and simply not do it again.

I never implied it was anyone's choice but Microsoft. That makes no sense. And you're just diverting from the issue.

Microsoft has shown a clear departure from the priorities of back then. They ditched that $100 liability you're talking about early on, and now have even ceased production iirc. Their whole focus with the X has been "the most powerful console ever made." The idea that the Xbox 2 will have worse spec than the PS5 because Sony "is a hardware company" just does not hold up under any scrutiny and needs to die.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never implied it was anyone's choice but Microsoft. That makes no sense. And you're just diverting from the issue.

Microsoft has shown a clear departure from the priorities of back then. They ditched that $100 liability you're talking about early on, and now have even ceased production iirc. Their whole focus with the X has been "the most powerful console ever made." The idea that the Xbox 2 will have worse spec than the PS5 because Sony "is a hardware company" just does not hold up under any scrutiny and needs to die.
Agreed. Microsoft's biggest and really only misstep in terms of hardware power was Xbox One, and Microsoft went ahead and fixed that problem during the same generation.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Microsoft has done a great job in turning the brand around since launch in every aspect except the one that matters most which is games. Hopefully, they fix that in time for Xbox 4. For specs, I see Sony going with 16GB GDDR5 RAM, the Ryzen CPU, an at the time current GPU that will hit at least 8TF (don't think it will be higher) so they can hit native 4K easier and include a 1TB SSD. If I had to guess price, I would say $500 but I would be perfectly fine with that. I see Microsoft being pretty much the same.

The Sony having better specs because it's a hardware company honestly doesn't make any sense. It's going to come down to which chipsets both decide on using. Of course, we have 30 months to go before we find out so there will definitely be a lot of speculation, rumors and whatnot until official announcements.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If PD is 3rd person then I'm out. The original PD is one of my favorite games of all time and it sure as hell wouldn't be if it wasn't a First Person Shooter.
latest

No but seriously, just dismissing it for the idea of it being 3rd person is pretty ridiculous especially for one that has at this point zero spot in gaming and in need of a reboot. One of my favorite shooters Halo could turn 3rd person in a game where you play as like a spec ops unit and I would be completely open to the idea and to see how they pull it off.

Oct 29, 2017
To be fair Dreams should have never been a video game. Maybe so km e side app that makes content or something.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
latest

No but seriously, just dismissing it for the idea of it being 3rd person is pretty ridiculous especially for one that has at this point zero spot in gaming and in need of a reboot. One of my favorite shooters Halo could turn 3rd person in a game where you play as like a spec ops unit and I would be completely open to the idea and to see how they pull it off.
You don't take an existing IP with a fanbase starving for content for nearly a decade and then literally change the entire games genre and gameplay.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
You don't take an existing IP with a fanbase starving for content for nearly a decade and then literally change the entire games genre and gameplay.

Exactly. This is what I've been trying to get at for the past few pages. A third person PD could work, but would it really be a good idea to change it so drastically? You need the right ideas and the right team to pull something like this off.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally the only thing changing is the perspective (if we go by the current rumors and they are to be believed) genre would still be the same as an action game the gameplay would still be a shooter difference is perspective, its hardly "changing the entire game" lmao also lets be completely real here....the "fanbase" doesnt even exist at this point unless you are on official Rare forums or sites like this where the hardcore go. No one knows what that is, let alone has played 2 of the console games which came out more than a decade ago. I know people roughly the same age as me who dont even know what Perfect Dark is honestly the only people I know that know about PD is my younger brother, childhood friend and his sister (they played a ton of PDZ MP) and my older cousin that grew up at the start of N64 (I joined late-ish to that party). That fanbase is dead and needs some adrenaline pumped into its veins in the form of a reboot (I would say soft reboot because I would still like to see Joanna Dark and the same organizations and all that, just restart the story)

edit: should note I dont even care if its 3rd or 1st person, I just wanna see a damn good PD reboot at this point and hope that the rumor is to be believed and that hopefully its a holiday 2018 or 2019 title.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. This is what I've been trying to get at for the past few pages. A third person PD could work, but would it really be a good idea to change it so drastically? You need the right ideas and the right team to pull something like this off.

For all we know it could be a hybrid like PUBG where you can alternate between the two views as you please, or with first person popping up when you aim down the sight. Too early to jump conclusions about how the game will be, anyhow, as far as we know it could be a tech demo or a pitch.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Literally the only thing changing is the perspective (if we go by the current rumors and they are to be believed) genre would still be the same as an action game the gameplay would still be a shooter difference is perspective, its hardly "changing the entire game" lmao also lets be completely real here....the "fanbase" doesnt even exist at this point unless you are on official Rare forums or sites like this where the hardcore go. No one knows what that is, let alone has played 2 of the console games which came out more than a decade ago. I know people roughly the same age as me who dont even know what Perfect Dark is honestly the only people I know that know about PD is my younger brother, childhood friend and his sister (they played a ton of PDZ MP) and my older cousin that grew up at the start of N64 (I joined late-ish to that party). That fanbase is dead and needs some adrenaline pumped into its veins in the form of a reboot (I would say soft reboot because I would still like to see Joanna Dark and the same organizations and all that, just restart the story)

edit: should note I dont even care if its 3rd or 1st person, I just wanna see a damn good PD reboot at this point and hope that the rumor is to be believed and that hopefully its a holiday 2018 or 2019 title.

Don't underestimate how many people there are in the PD fanbase and how important the fanbase can be. The core fans of a franchise can still be very integral to how well a future entry sells. Even if the hardcore fanbase is pretty niche nowadays, that doesn't mean you should ignore what the fans who have been with the franchise since the beginning want and frankly, it'd be very dickish of them to just completely ignore those fans. I really hope MS has the sense to not let a new PD lose the important elements that made the original so great back in the day, whatever perspective they choose to do it with.

Basically, look to the new Killer Instinct for an example of how to do an old franchise right and look to Nuts & Bolts to see what happens when you don't handle things well.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No way they do SSD, better chance at a 2-4TB HDD just for cost reasons, also more space is more important at the moment when people have 1TB HDD filling up and we are only just transitioning into 4K territory.

True and I agree. I'm just hoping that it's an SSD. Plus, they will be cheaper by the time PS5/Xbox 4 launch and Sony/Microsoft would be buying in bulk and thus, lowering the cost. At the very least, im hoping that the consoles can both fully take advantage of an SSD for those who'll swap out the HDD for an SSD.

Nov 12, 2017
It's simple... most of the game out that gen was running better on the Xbox ...one could think that first party just invested more effort to make beautiful games ...in fact when you say first party ...i think that mostly u mean "naughty dog" ;) because in other games is very hard to see ps3 power advantage . ...

Status
Not open for further replies.