• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
He's right, but they don't have any. The school kids aren't the early adopters, the enthusiasts are, and we're not jumping in close to (or on) release without compelling single player software. We're not putting 500 down to play Minecraft or a procedural-generated lootbox market place. It failing to gain traction early will have a knock-on effect later down the line when parents come to pick what console they're buying for Christmas. They backed the wrong horse.

They need a N64 style first party launch on the X2. I don't think they can pull it off.

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony and Nintendo to MS these days:

DearColorlessChameleon-max-1mb.gif

I mean, MS seriously need to up their game in the first party department, sadly it will take time even though they need it now. Crackdown 3, SoD2 and a new Forza Horizon ain't conna cut it for me.
These annual Forza things can soon become the Infinity Motorsport. Ready yourself.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I trust Spencer is trying his best to improve this aspect of Xbox because god knows it's been brought up enough times in recent years but it's getting to the point where he's just repeating the same thing over and over with not much (as yet) to show for it. At least he's saying the right things though. It'd be more concerning if he was hand-waving away the criticism.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
It sure better not be "Fable-like" in 2019+.

Not with how in depth RPG systems have been and continue to evolve with open worlds.

It always felt like an RPG-lite to me.
It's a hybrid of RPG, adventure game and sim.

An open world is a natural progression. But it also needs stuff like dating/marriage, property ownership, a morality system as well as british humor to call itself Fable.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the rate he's going he will have said various versions of this more times than the number of exclusives they've had this gen by the end of this year probably.

Dec 15, 2017
Their best play is to hold everything for the next system launch. Positions are set in stone this gen, might as well come out firing for the next one.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont know the correlation between ERA and reddit, this is so funny, we are discussing on ERA, but people had to bring another forum because reasons.

I don't get it? Sometimes ERA talks about Reddit, sometimes Reddit links to ERA threads.

I just found it interesting how subreddits like r/xboxone, r/nintenoswitch and r/ps4 reacts to certain situtations.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, Canada
I mean... it's nice that Phil knows the problem, but I feel like we've seen variations of this tweet multiple times from him over the last couple of years. Enough with telling us, show something. Make me want to run out and buy an Xbox.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get it? Sometimes ERA talks about Reddit, sometimes Reddit links to ERA threads.

I just found it interesting how subreddits like r/xboxone, r/nintenoswitch and r/ps4 reacts to certain situtations.

Sure it's interesting, but again, i see no reaction related to Phil's tweet in that thread, what GoW/Hellbalde have to do with Phil replying on Twitter?

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
r/xboxone has also been a bit depressive since the release of GoW: https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/8e302o/since_god_of_war_isnt_on_xb_a_way_to_get_your_fix/

Dread it. Run from it. Annual Forza still arrives.

I really don't get where all this come from. I don't want Microsoft to release godofwaresque games. I want them launch games that make me enjoy the way I did with Fable, Crackdown, Sunset Overdrive or Gears of War. I couldn't care less for what is sony releasing, if I would want sonylike games I would buy a PS4. I want the kind of silly epic fun that was in the core of the best 360 games. Fuck grown up screenplays, and mature games.

I'm pissed because I'm not going to have a Sunset Overdrive 2, not because I'm not going to have Detroit Become Human.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Phil always say nice words, but not always they end becoming a thing.

In this case, we need more big, fresh games from Microsoft. Stuff like Sea of Thieves, that even if it feels incomplete it's a great start and a path to follow. Now let's hope they continue supporting SoT to turn it into a more complete, robust game, and at the same time they release their own Uncharted, Bloodborne, God of War and Zelda. I mean, not clones of these games. I mean AAA, top quality single player games that puts them in front of their genres or even redefine them. Like the 3 mentioned games or what Halo or Gears did in the past.

So they need to buy more 1st party studios, and if possible with already existing very popular IPs.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure it's interesting, but again, i see no reaction related to Phil's tweet in that thread, what GoW/Hellbalde have to do with Phil replying on Twitter?

Yeah, I agree, this was too off-topic. Carry on!

I'm pissed because I'm not going to have a Sunset Overdrive 2, not because I'm not going to have Detroit Become Human.

SO2 is not happening because the first one didn't sell well and after that they jumped to the R&C Remake and now Spider-Man which will make them a lot of money so they will probably continue doing Spider-Man for quite a while.

SO is the game I enjoyed most on my Xbox, even though it dissapointed me a little bit.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Whoa at Spencer's quote. It's important to tell the truth, but that doesn't inspire confidence in Microsoft's upcoming first-party efforts.

The games situation is worse than I thought.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Feeling like the donkey with a carrot being dangled.
I like a lot of what Xbox are doing but a games console needs system sellers and not in three years time.

scaryrobots

Oct 27, 2017
Doing Robot things
I like a lot of what Xbox are doing but a games console needs system sellers and not in three years time.

He can't snap his fingers and create games out of his butt. Triple A games take a long time to be made so even if they started really pushing for them last year we won't see them for at least two more years.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spencer has been saying the right things, and he says them a lot, but for the longest time, that's all that's happened. It's time to put your money where your mouth is, MS. It's good that they're saying this stuff, but they need to start acting on it.

This is all in line with real changes happening on the ground though, we know this based on reputable sources claiming as such, company wide insights from financial briefings, rumours of ramp up in teams (Playground, Coalition), Phils new powers as a MS exec to write asamany cheques as needed, the Gamepass intiative, and of course Phil is outright staying it. With that in mind why should he reveal info that isn't mature enough just to satisfy fanboys that have no interest in Xbox and are using this situation to dismiss positive changes currently underway? Fanboys will simply move to the next narrative that these new titles are not going to be released and they're 'concerned' about the existence of these titles, then bring up Scalebound again, ad nauseum.

It will take time, he will not reveal games that are years off, we'll see these changes next gen.

I'm expecting some info into these changes at E3, but I'm not expecting to know the full extent of these changes.

Last edited:

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Yeah, I agree, this was too off-topic. Carry on!

SO2 is not happening because the first one didn't sell well and after that they jumped to the R&C Remake and now Spider-Man which will make them a lot of money so they will probably continue doing Spider-Man for quite a while.

SO is the game I enjoyed most on my Xbox, even though it dissapointed me a little bit.

I know it didn't do well and I still don't know why. It is the equivalent to the first crackdown. Pure, simple, crazy fun. That's why I liked so much my 360. Even when Microsoft aimed for a cinematic deep story it ended being something so delightfully corny as Alan Wake. I'm starting to fear that Spencer will take some complaining so much value that the next Xbox will try to be another Ps4.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They will have it in 3 years time, doesn't have to be on Xbox, but at least they'll be there.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox have been around long enough and so should have a constant role of high quality games imo.
They've had to recover from the disaster of Mattricks Xbox, ship has been stabilised, the division is doing well, they're refocusing. I mean, hindsight in light of real changes taking place is meaningless commentary. It serves no purpose if those concerned have learned from it.

Sniatch

Apr 9, 2018
it's not that serious man lol

The sooner enthusiasts stop taking tweets from console manufscturer execs so seriously to the point of policing what a person should or shouldn't say the better

I agree, people take tweets like this way too serious.

I think it's great that the head of xbox is engaging with the community.

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get where all this come from. I don't want Microsoft to release godofwaresque games. I want them launch games that make me enjoy the way I did with Fable, Crackdown, Sunset Overdrive or Gears of War. I couldn't care less for what is sony releasing, if I would want sonylike games I would buy a PS4. I want the kind of silly epic fun that was in the core of the best 360 games. Fuck grown up screenplays, and mature games.

So you would not want Spider-Man?

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In a different timeline, with better leaders at the helm of Xbox, there is a Battletoads game that we talk about in the same way we talk about the latest God of War. The potential is there but no one at MS really gives a shit about cultivating single-player IPs that sell the console. Phil says he does all the time, especially now when he watches Sony run away with their line-up, but so far we haven't seen anything worthwhile come to fruition.

I'll check back next generation. For now, the ship has sailed.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Going to be a long wait to see if he can deliver. Hopefully the appointment of Matt Booty to head up MS Studios and hiring Gallagher is just the start of good things to come for next gen. They need to come out swinging at their reveal with some evidence of the games they're planning to deliver.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, fuck Alan Wake, too! Only the best new IP that MS launched on 360.

/smh

What is this BS talk about "godofwaresque" or "sonylike games"? It tastes like a big heap of salt from over here. A good game is a good game. Last gen I was immersed in a Gears campaign or Alan Wake, now it's God of War, Bloodborne or UC4.

Also, we got a great Ratched & Clank game this gen. So there is that.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I'll give him his due he knows how to talk the talk. As evidenced by all the people who just refer to him as 'Phil' like he's their best mate.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Yeah, fuck Alan Wake! Only the best new IP that MS launched on 360.

/smh

What is this BS talk about "godofwaresque" or "sonylike games"? It tastes like a big heap of salt from over here. A good game is a good game. Last gen I was immersed in a Gears campaign or Alan Wake, now it's God of War, Bloodborne or UC4.
The post they were referencing was recommending Hellblade specifically because it's GOW-esque.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Yeah, fuck Alan Wake! Only the best new IP that MS launched on 360.

/smh

Excuse me for not wanting the same as you, or wanting Xbox to follow it's own path. Anyway my point is that I'm not more pissed for not having Alan Wake 2 (the first wasn't a mature game by any mean) when Sony launch good games, that when Sony is not launching nothing. I don't get why people feels worse because of things Sony is doing.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Thread whining.
I wish these threads would stop.

Fuck what Spencer has to say.

He's been saying a lot for years.

Why do we keep having threads about his twitter responses to desperate fans begging for content? He knows. He's been knowing.