Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Microsoft is now more valuable than Google
Third most valuable company behind Apple and Amazon

Microsoft has passed Google (Alphabet) in market valuation for the first time in three years, reports CNBC. Microsoft is now valued at $753 billion, while Alphabet (Google's parent company) is valued at $739 billion. It makes Microsoft the third most valuable company in the world, behind Apple and Amazon. This will likely only be temporary, though. Google originally passed Microsoft back in 2012, and the pair have traded positions a number of times in recent years. Still, it shows how much Microsoft has improved its stock price over the past five years since former CEO Steve Ballmer announced his plans to retire as Microsoft CEO.

Microsoft's stock price has more than doubled since CEO Satya Nadella took over four years ago. Nadella has refocused Microsoft on cross-platform technologies, the cloud, artificial intelligence, and wants to secure the future of quantum computing and mixed reality headsets. Nadella has axed Microsoft's failed Windows Phone efforts, and the company has generally moved away from the concept of having Windows at the center of everything it offers.

While Microsoft still trails behind Apple's market valuation of $923 billion and Amazon's $782 billion market cap, it has a diverse range of businesses where it generates revenue from. Google generates roughly 90 percent of its revenue from advertising, and the iPhone accounts for roughly 60 percent of Apple's entire revenue. In Microsoft's most recent quarterits Windows, Surface, and gaming divisions made up roughly 35 percent of revenue, with cloud taking around 30 percent, and Office and productivity more than 30 percent.

Microsoft might be facing questions over its relevance to consumers, but its stock price is now close to passing $100 per share. Some analysts believe the company's cloud business could double in the next few years to help push the company towards a $1 trillion market value.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/30/17408254/microsoft-google-alphabet-market-cap-value

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
That diverse portfolio is worth a lot by itself too. Damn though, that's a lot of money.

avaya

Oct 25, 2017
London
Google has had a poor performance YTD, more a case of it falling behind Amazon and MS.

Facebook has been worse.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
HOW? I feel if anything, Microsoft has been growing more irrelevant as time goes by

I'm thinking Microsoft's cloud and business services. Excel, Outlook, etc. people underestimate that business.

Then Windows is still the dominant OS on the market.

Plus they make solid products like the Surfacs Book.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
HOW? I feel if anything, Microsoft has been growing more irrelevant as time goes by
More and more companies going to the cloud. MS runs the business sector which makes $$$. Like everyone uses Office, Even with some strides from some competitors. they are really kicking ass on their business offerings and the cloud guarantees way more revenue yearly than single use licenses.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, its right there in the OP. Surface, Xbox, Windows, Office, Azure. They are insanely valuable. It's like saying "WTF, how does Netflix make so much money?!"

Good analogy. Ironically Netflix doing well means that Amazon (AWS) is doing even better. AWS is the one area of Amazon that is not talked much about on this forum but they are the market leader in cloud computing by a large margin.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
Good analogy. Ironically Netflix doing well means that Amazon (AWS) is doing even better. AWS is the one area of Amazon that is not talked much about on this forum but they are the market leader in cloud computing by a large margin.

I think AWS is one aspect of Amazon that people don't know about unless they work in the tech industry.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Time to finally get a Surface Phone announced right!?

Omg let it run Android and I'm there. I love my surface pro 4 so much. The surface team needs to design the next Xbox, too.

I mean, its right there in the OP. Surface, Xbox, Windows, Office, Azure. They are insanely valuable. It's like saying "WTF, how does Netflix make so much money?!"

And they've been advertising a lot more over the past few years. From the walking dead sponsorships to all the surface and azure commercials.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can we stop referring to Alphabet as Google? They wanted their stupid name change, now they should live with it. Google is just one part of Alphabet. Nice turnaround from Nadella, though the cloud services were kickstarted by Ballmer and that's what is carrying Microsoft now (aside from Office). Now if they could become an actual consumer company instead of focusing on businesses they could be the biggest company in the world. But their endeavours in that space all fall flat.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has and always has had one of the best R&D teams in the industry and Nadella is better at green lighting the right things, I think.

Nadella has been fantastic but Ballmer deserves some credit as well. Many of these projects were greenlit by him. Nadella has said as much in interviews.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Microsoft is undervalued. Microsoft still dominate the office and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Hell yes, Word and Excel are here to stay! Microsoft has a special place in my heart because of Windows since I've been a Windows user pretty much my whole life so this is neat.

Oct 30, 2017
Does this mean we'll get a Windows 11 that isn't super crap?
It was announced long ago, WIndows 10 is the very last Windows OS. From here they just iterate atop of it with new builds, like they have been now for some time.

They dominate the Enterprise market, almost complete domination. Mainly licensing from a number of things. Azure, O365, Server OSs and a sprawling portfolio of software that millions of business license every year.