• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When code is stolen from the developers that is where I draw the line.
Well, the build in question was never intended to be public - it was stolen by people guessing the URL to part of the (as of the the time in question, unreleased) client's update system and finding the url to the current development version of the game client inside. The build was then pulled. At least that's how I remember it, it's been a while but that rings true to me.

This is where we start - a non-public build is 'acquired' and spread publicly by those responsible. This is just the start of the crazy, illegal behavior that would follow.

So, with that in mind, I suspect most people would object to the means by which ElDewrito was created and to the conduct of the people responsible.
Emotional investment is what I was asking about, but yeah didn't know anything was actually stolen.

It'll be interesting to see what comes of this because apparently there's no stopping people from playing anyway?

enMTW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Emotional investment is what I was asking about, but yeah didn't know anything was actually stolen.

It'll be interesting to see what comes of this because apparently there's no stopping people from playing anyway?

MS could go after the modders in a real way - issue DMCA take down demands on the mod client as opposed to the MS23 build of Halo Online, go after the master servers, insist that the developers shut stuff down. But they aren't. They appear to be trying to avoid the wrath of the internet.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this coming after certain actions by a couple of the people involved.

There's fan projects, and then there's openly taunting Microsoft directly and forcing acknowledgement, which means they're forced to activate their lawyers.

A lot of people on the Halo discord almost all agreed once it was known that the campaign assets from 3 were being brought in, they probably were going to get notice'd. When the project jumped from getting a game to run online to outright ripping game content, you're not gonna last long.

And it appears to me the method of takedown and the letter are as diplomatic as can be with Microsoft taking the narrowest path to navigate through this as to not cause anyone personal harm.

Last edited:

Red Alert

Banned
Mar 25, 2018
User Warned: Drive-by posting.
343 must be rageful considering nobody making modes for their games and trying to play older games instead of their shiny releases

lol

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
This makes me sad because it was shaping up to be something great (and I believe it will definitely kill the game, probably 50 people max will keep playing it) but at the same time it's very understandable. All I know is that I'm preparing a party this weekend to play some Halo.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How are they gonna shut it down though? It's already out in the wild. Does that just mean official development on the project will stop?

I can't imagine they could do anything to prevent the current version of the project from being functional and continue to have servers up.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever it is, it's great. I thought for sure it was the Halo 3 engine because of some of the dithering/LOD on distant objects that looked eerily familiar (see the rock in the distance on first screen below), but I really can't say for sure. Some more.

It's definitely really weird. Seems to look like Halo 4 at times, but only briefly. Some of that is probably due to Halo 4 assets, but still.

The lighting varies between looking kinda flat and bright like 3 and kinda dark and textured like Reach's.

It wasn't stolen from developers. It was stolen from a giant corporation.

Are you serious.

Theft is theft. I'm not allowed to go start making my own brand of Coca Cola, legally or morally, regardless of how big they are. Because if I can do it to them, I can do it to a less successful company.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks that it's going down but considering that it was based off Halo Online, it's not surprising. Hopefully these people can get help 343 get Halo on track. It's fallen off hard in the past few years.

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Advocating theft and distribution of ip, piracy.
miss-the-point.png

My point was that it's still not worth getting worked up over. It's Microsoft, who cares. It's not some small team or individual that lost a bunch of their work. Someone dumpster dived and took a dead project to some kind of completion.

enMTW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My point was that it's still not worth getting worked up over. It's Microsoft, who cares. It's not some small team or individual that lost a bunch of their work. Someone dumpster dived and took a dead project to some kind of completion.

Uh, yeah, that's not what happened. An in development build was stolen before the beta test even began and is the basis for this project.

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
While completely unsurprising and probably slightly legally necessary it still sucks. What's keeping 343 from contacting the devs, striking a deal, and releasing it for like 15 bucks? It should put up some huge red flags for 343 when there are tons of fan projects in development, pretty much all of which play like Halo before 343 was a thing. Especially when they get more viewers and excitement from alot of the Halo community than their games.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
343 must be rageful considering nobody making modes for their games and trying to play older games instead of their shiny releases

lol

What?

While completely unsurprising and probably slightly legally necessary it still sucks. What's keeping 343 from contacting the devs, striking a deal, and releasing it for like 15 bucks? It should put up some huge red flags for 343 when there are tons of fan projects in development, pretty much all of which play like Halo before 343 was a thing. Especially when they get more viewers and excitement from alot of the Halo community than their games.

Well.
  • The developers are using assets illegally ripped from old 360 builds of Halo 3 as well as the RU only, shut down Halo Online. Goes against MS's fair use rules.
  • Those same fair use rules are what keep fangames like Installation 01 alive and actively worked on. 343 -- and hell even Microsoft -- are one of the few devs/pubs that are immediately receptive of fanwork and love to give feedback. Hell it should be telling that 343 even wrote a fucking response for this where other devs/pubs would silently cut it off.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You should probably clarify this is not confirmed but I am hopeful.

All I ask is that when they do they provide an FoV slider. That's all I need. Just give me that. Support for over 60fps and ultra wide would be sweeeeeet but at least git me an FoV slider.
Yup. A port is completely meaningless to me if it doesn't have an FoV slider.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia

That's the entire reason it was shut down though because it was using stolen* Microsoft assets.

* any group that doesn't have permission to use the assets from Microsoft would be using stolen assets

enMTW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Lots of things. A laundry list of criminal acts by core contributors to the project.

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017

Greywind

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aren't the devs of the mod the same people who leaked and stole stuff from PartnerNet back in the old days? I'm just curious after seeing few familiar names.

enMTW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
meh, doesn't change my opinion. If halo online was some successful project, I'd be more sympathetic.

Just to confirm, you are totally cool with people illegally obtaining an in-development build of a title and spreading it around, prior to even the first public beta test of said title?
Aren't the devs of the mod the same people who leaked and stole stuff from PartnerNet back in the old days? I'm just curious after seeing few familiar names.

YUP.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. A port is completely meaningless to me if it doesn't have an FoV slider.

I just get so motion sick and disoriented after long play sessions. It actually makes me weirdly grumpy; it's odd. Don't have that problem with wide FoV. That's at it's worst of course. I have some better days, but at it's worst it's really really not enjoyable.

It's such a shame because I love classic halo, but 60 fps for MCC only fixed some of the issue for me.

Part of it is there's very few games I can play on a TV. Shooters I just cannot for any significant amount of time. I just lose all sense of direction and get a headache. Playing on a monitor helps tremendously and I don't get a headache, but I still have the disorienting feeling.

But yeah, the bit about

"and we hope to be able to partner with the ElDewrito team and broader mod and content creation community to help inform the types of experiences and features our fans desire."

Is definitely exciting for me. Because those are the kind of people who would probably try to get ultra wide and 100+ Hz support, and already did implement an FoV slider. So hopefully Microsoft gives MCC the attention it deserves on PC.

They're gonne have to, because it'll probably be on the windows store.....

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
People defending asset theft is a pretty telltale sign on how fucked the priorities of the gaming consumer are

So much for games preservation amirite

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
If there is a PC port with key mapping and a FOV slider those better come to Xbox too. Not happy with any of the control presets on Xbox and I just want to be able to jump between games without the FOV changing. The behaviour of crouch in Halo 1 and Halo 3 is so bad if you try to use it like in Halo 4 or 5.
Those, and an unlocked framerate. I know it's a pipedream, but man that would be total bliss. That's the one thing about El Dewrito that I actually am not a fan of; the locked 60 fps which is definitely an engine shortcoming.
Definitely a pipe dream, I feel pretty confident saying that won't be coming. Would require to much underlying code in all of the games to be changed in order for it to work for the niche limited number of PC players that would use it. Would definitely love to see it happen though!

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
People defending asset theft is a pretty telltale sign on how fucked the priorities of the gaming consumer are

So much for games preservation amirite

"Entitlement" is often misused and can bug me a lot, but boy is it appropriate here.

It is nice that 343 even outright talked about PC support for Halo for the second time in a month though, and very like, direct. They've always dismissed it before with that canned PR talk. The language seems different. I hope that's indicative of something.

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
Just to confirm, you are totally cool with people illegally obtaining an in-development build of a title and spreading it around, prior to even the first public beta test of said title?

In this specific circumstance I don't really care. Halo Online failing to come out was not caused by that build leaking. A situation where people pulled a build and put something out that hurt the original owner would be different.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
This fucking thread of shitting on 343 for no reason when this shit isn't even legal by any stretch of the imagination is nauseating.

I feel bad for the shit that Stinkles has had to put up with here AND on the other site at times.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
In this specific circumstance I don't really care. Halo Online failing to come out was not caused by that build leaking. A situation where people pulled a build and put something out that hurt the original owner would be different.
Let's rob a bank, doesn't actually hurt anyone since the money is insured /s

enMTW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You understand that at the time the build was pulled no one involved would have known that Halo Online would ultimately be cancelled prior to release? The intention was to modify a F2P game and distribute said game, resulting in it competing with the actual official offering.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is about as graceful a company could be in this situation - even giving the team enough time to build something worth putting on their CVs before they were obliged to do a C&D.

And yet the response in here is as embarrassing as expected.

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
Let's rob a bank, doesn't actually hurt anyone since the money is insured /s

You'd probably cause a lot of emotional trauma to the people involved. You're a piece of shit if you think that is victimless.

You understand that at the time the build was pulled no one involved would have known that Halo Online would ultimately be cancelled prior to release? The intention was to modify a F2P game and distribute said game, resulting in it compete with the actual official offering.

Yes, but that's not what happened in the end.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Are all Halo related threads on here normally as embarassing to read as this one?
Yes they sure are, and to be fair almost all threads about intensely loved IP's are kind of embarrassing. When fans are disappointed about anything in the slightest they tend to insult before thinking about the legal and financial positions of the publishers and developers, thus where the term "entitled gamer" comes from.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Are all Halo related threads on here normally as embarassing to read as this one?

Basically yeah

Irrational shitheads feeling scorned by a faceless monolith venting out their grievances ad nauseum in scenarios where their grievances weren't even brought up within the context of said thread

Well the developer of Halo Online, Sabre, and whoever was licensing the IP in Russia for the game has probably lost all of their rights for the Halo IP licensing in the foreseeable future due to the build leaking. That's one way something like this can hurt a small developer

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

Ehhhhh not quite. But...I mean I wasn't surprised.

Though I should be fair because initially I got kinda ticked too, but after reading the situation and I'm glad I didn't just instantly make an angry post. Sucks, but I get it. Stinkles made a good post explaining it as well.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
halowcvenue-1.jpg

They are one of the worst devs. They've completely ruined a great franchise with every step they've taken with it. I'm not the only Halo fan with this opinion. I was responding to someone saying they burnt their bridge with PC gamers, which means they've burnt every bridge they had. They are one of the worst devs in gaming.

God damn you gotta be mad unwashed to bring up the Halo eSports thing lmfao

Like no soap in the house lmfao

Okrim

Dec 14, 2017
Italy
Eh, using the assets is really a step or two too far.
By the way people have asked this for years, it's clearly not a priority but the demand is there, let's hope that Microsoft actually decides to do something in light of this.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
ElDewrito's 0.6 update has been everything we could have hoped for and so much more. The community response and support we have been given has been exciting, humbling, above all, appreciated. We have poured our hearts and souls into this game, and you have been the best community we could have asked for.

Unfortunately, 343 Industries and Microsoft have noticed it's success, and have reached out to us regarding potential legal action, and have requested we temporarily halt development.

You can view their article and statement here: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/eldewrito-community-content

Microsoft had this to say about 0.6′s release.

"While we are humbled and inspired to see the amount of passion poured into this project, the fact remains that it's built upon Microsoft-owned assets that were never lawfully released or authorized for this purpose. As this project reverberated across the community, our team took a step back to assess the materials and explore possible avenues, while Microsoft, like any company, has a responsibility to protect its IP, code and trademarks. It's not optional in other words. "

"BTW, we're not "shutting down the mod" or going after the Eldewrito crew - we're enacting action to remove the Halo Online code and packages from places it's being hosted.. "

There was no Cease and Desist, no DMCA, just an brief conversation about what they suggest we do.

What does this mean for the future of ElDewrito?
To be completely honest, we do not know the answer to this question yet. Our conversation with 343 was very brief. Since ElDewrito itself is simply an open source mod and not a Microsoft asset, the mod itself will not be taken down. However, it appears that any Microsoft assets required to play the game (MS23 builds, Full 0.6 game zips, ect) will likely be taken down by Microsoft. All we know is that have been told to temporarily halt development until more information is available, and we must honor this request. During this time, please do not make threats or harass 343 Industries.

Can We Still Play 0.6?
Yes, absolutely! Play the hell out of it. Create more incredible forge creations. You can resume playing 0.6 as normal. It is important to note that ElDewrito itself is not being taken down - just any and all of Microsoft's assets are. In the meantime, enjoy the great game that we have poured our hearts into.

The number of people that have played 0.6 has blown us away. At the time of writing this post, there are over 8000 players playing. Here are some cool facts about the stats recorded in just 4 days of playing 0.6.

www.blog.eldewrito.com

Basically, we know MS and 343 don't want this out here, but we encourage you to all keep playing and downloading until their lawyers force us to remove our download links.

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
This fucking thread of shitting on 343 for no reason when this shit isn't even legal by any stretch of the imagination is nauseating.

I feel bad for the shit that Stinkles has had to put up with here AND on the other site at times.

343 gets a lot of shit, but they did directly lie to their community about the MCC. I bought a next-gen console for that collection and have never been so disillusioned by the industry as I had been with that release.

Halo 5's direction didn't light the world on fire either. =( The only thing they've done right since taking the reigns of the franchise has been improving the scope of Forge.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Care to elaborate on how stealing something that is owned by someone could possibly not result in the owner of said goods being victimized by the act? Seems like a very convenient definition of thievery and its implications and consequences.

What's your take on piracy there partner? I'll bet it's a nuanced one....

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
"There was no Cease and Desist, no DMCA, just an brief conversation about what they suggest we do."

lmfao goddamn this forum is embarrassing sometimes, they didn't even C&D it