• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Nothing but great news really ,even if we won't see results anytime soon. One thing is for sure, MS finally realizes things need to change.

Martl

Oct 30, 2017
Austria
jokes on them, sony santa monica isn't even in santa monica
mild_shock_patrick_stewart_acting.gif

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
To be honest, if you gave me a full-fledged game dev tycoon game I would play it until the end of time.

That aside, great news all around. Wonder if we'll hear about this at E3.
They hired Darrell Gallagher onto the Xbox Studio Leadership team recently (March?) and said they would share what he's doing at Xbox "at E3". If you look at Darrell Gallagher's LinkedIn, his previous job was Activision in Santa Monica. So I would say very likely.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's just me but I'd take a 1v100, avatar based game over 90% of the AAA titles released in the last year.

Prety sure HQ proves that a market exists for it

This times a million. Too many people on this forum don't know what they missed. A new 1v100 type of game would dominate and demolish HQ. Microsoft had a brilliant idea and then shelved it and let a new entrant come and take over without struggle.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling. History of similar behavior
3rd new MS first party studios? This is crazy!

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
I read your post wrong naughty dog is in santa Monica however SSM is not
SSM moved to LA when they moved to a new building. Their old place was run by Allan Becker who is now in Tokyo in Shinagawa running Japan Studio so let's see what magic he has kept to his chest for all these years. I want to see that fruit come to fruition that Shu has teased.

Dee Bill

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
This is great news. Can't wait for E3 and what's next for Xbox.

I'm happy to read all the good news about the Xbox division these days, next Xbox should be very interesting !

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have the funds to just pay Cory balrog and his team quadruple whatever Sony is giving them, and just hire talent like that

AnubisRising

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Cant believe ms would make such a big deal and go after the best talent around before announcing games. /s

Cant wait to see what it leads to

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
Firstly... are we up to quadruple A games now?

Secondly... this is one studio?, because it kind of reads like more than one studio.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Make the Santa Monica studio the next team dedicated to Gears of War to bring even more confusion while talking about GoW

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they don't pigeon-hole this new team to existing IP and let them create something new.

They need to start building out their roster of IP

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The location is ripe for employing frustrated Hollywood talent to pass off B-movie schlock as "the best stories in gaming".

I'm kidding, keep your panties on.

CoLD FiRE

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
The location is ripe for employing frustrated Hollywood talent to pass off B-movie schlock as "the best stories in gaming".

I'm kidding, keep your panties on.

I know you're joking but it has some truth to it. While it would be nice to have new MS IPs with strong stories, I just hope they don't follow the "cinematic" experience crowd with 25 minute long cutscenes after every 5 minutes of gameplay. I'm hoping they focus on innovating in terms of gameplay while providing compelling stories that don't overshadow gameplay as a bonus.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I know you're joking but it has some truth to it. While it would be nice to have new MS IPs with strong stories, I just hope they don't follow the "cinematic" experience crowd with 25 minute long cutscenes after every 5 minutes of gameplay. I'm hoping they focus on innovating in terms of gameplay while providing compelling stories that don't overshadow gameplay as a bonus.
Do you feel like the cutscenes in Quantum Break (a narrative driven Microsoft game) overshadowed gameplay?

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
So don't expect anything to come out of this for at least 4-5 years? A for effort, but why did they wait so long?

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
This would be really promising if it was 2012

Imagine, if you will, that time continues and that some time in the future, promising games are revealed. And at that unknown moment in time, will you think "this would have been really promising if it was 2012, instead of [date]"? Probably not.

AnubisRising

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
So don't expect anything to come out of this for at least 4-5 years? A for effort, but why did they wait so long?
phil had to report to a guy who did see the point of the gaming division so the guy didnt give me much budget and room to do much.

Phil now reports right to the ceo and now has all that

clarkatroid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good to see Nintendo and Sony push MS. Competition is good, it's win win for us guys. Can't see why anybody would want MS to fail. Fingers crossed they deliver.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Excellent news. Microsoft finally investing in new developers. Hopefully they expand the other studios and let them create new IP's.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Well, Phil really going after 1st party studios. If you can't buy the franchise and publisher than build it. Building from the ground up is a long and costly affair but at least the studio won't be a different corporate culture other than MS. I wonder when if the Xbox brand will still be a hardware supplier by the time this studio starts outputting something worth releasing?? Don't expect Xbox two to have many good 1st party games at launch

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Excellent news. Microsoft finally investing in new developers. Hopefully they expand the other studios and let them create new IP's.
The dream (not realistic but the dream) would be to split Turn10, 343 Industries, The Coalition and Rare into two studios and allow them to work on two games at once (one per studio).

Acquire Playground Games (both studios because they are full of talent).

Have this new Santa Monica new IP studio.

That would be a total of 7 new studios if they did that. They don't have the budget for that but it would be cool if that happened.