Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
www.theverge.com

Microsoft confirms Windows 10X is dead

Windows 10X features will arrive in Windows instead.

windows-10x-screenshots-26.png

Windows 10X was originally supposed to be for dual-screen devices, like the Surface Neo. Now it's cancelled.

It had some neat ideas, like a redesigned start menu. Let's see if the upcoming Sun Valley refresh of Windows 10 will pull some inspiration.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I remember a lot of devices like the Surface Duo/Neo and Lenovo Fold were specifically designed for it too. What does this mean for them?

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Windows 10 is like…the most disorganized, inconsistent, windows OS I've seen. I know 10 and 10X are practically different things, but I feel like Microsoft's vision for 10 is just so scattered.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Windows 10 is like…the most disorganized, inconsistent, windows OS I've seen. I know 10 and 10X are practically different things, but I feel like Microsoft's vision for 10 is just so scattered.
It feels like 25 different teams with different ideas and priorities throwing random things in and hoping nobody else breaks or removes them.

It's a miracle that it actually works pretty well.

edit: also the team in charge of the UI is a single snail with a pencil because there's no other explanation for updating icons taking several years

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

They really need to just make Windows 11 and start over. This whole Forever OS crap clearly isn't working for Microsoft.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan

Somehow the start menu search got worse since Win7. It got to the point I could just type a piece of the program name I wanted and bam, there it is. Now I'm always getting punted to file search or internet search or whatever.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Is the Surface Neo canned as well? Verge is saying so but not sure if Microsoft has confirmed it or if they are guessing.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow the start menu search got worse since Win7. It got to the point I could just type a piece of the program name I wanted and bam, there it is. Now I'm always getting punted to file search or internet search or whatever.
If you disable web searches it goes back to being fast and accurate like Windows 7. Unfortunately you have to use a registry edit or a program like O&O ShutUp10 to completely disable all of the Bing & Cortana crap.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, feels like that mentality might bite them in the ass one day.

Now its your time to shine!

220px-Tux%2C_gray%EF%BC%8Fgrey_background.png
www.resetera.com

Open Source advocate predicts Windows will "soon" become a flavor of Linux with a compatibility layer on top.

https://www.theregister.com/2020/09/28/eric_raymond_linux_beats_windows_prediction/ The arguments are thus: Microsoft big money maker right now is Azure, and that OS development profits are unsurprisingly way down since they aren't pumping out new versions of windows every other year anymore...

Any moment now...

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
If you disable web searches it goes back to being fast and accurate like Windows 7. Unfortunately you have to use a registry edit or a program like O&O ShutUp10 to completely disable all of the Bing & Cortana crap.

Pretty sure I did but somehow it still sucks at searching for programs vs Win7, I still get it searching files and stuff.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
The person who added internet searched to the search bar needs to have his head examined. The most annoying thing when trying to find stuff.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
F, even though this wasn't for me, I followed it's dev cycle quite a lot. A brand newish Windows was exciting, even if it was lite.

Microsoft keeps missing a lot with new slimmed down versions of Windows in the past 9 years (Windows RT, Windows 10S, now 10X), and they introduced fluent design around four years ago and it's still very little used. Even updating icons is taking them well over a year. Now Sun Valley is a new design overhaul they'll be unveiling soon?

I know Windows got new leadership/a new product supervisor awhile ago, so hopefully things turn around. Of course though, other than inconsistencies and failures with lite weight versions of Windows 10, Windows 10 is madly successful and everywhere. Just so many parts of it feel old, or scattered, (9 years later and we still have Control Panel AND settings, and it's not one app).

I feel like Windows 8 hit Microsoft extremely hard, with the minimalism, metro, flat screen and tablet rush. I wonder If Microsoft would ever eventually release a Windows 11 and from the get go have new icons, features, design.

Windows 10 has felt stale feature wise for years. I get Azure is the big money for MS now though.

Last edited:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I found that if a program has an entry in the old Start menu location, it appears when you search for it in the new Start menu.

So for the few programs that aren't automatically added as part of their installation, I go to "c:\users\<username>\appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs" and I manually add a shortcut to the program.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really wanted to get either a Surface Neo or a Lenovo Fold down the line, but the former wasn't out yet and everyone who reviewed the latter all said "wait for Windows 10X."

Guess I'm not getting either one then :-(

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Windows 10 works pretty well for me despite everything, even some time ago when I had only a 2GB RAM laptop (!).
I wish I could go back to Windows 7 though. Too much shit running at the background all the time.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
There's a vision for Windows 10? Someone should inform Windows devs about this.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
www.resetera.com

Open Source advocate predicts Windows will "soon" become a flavor of Linux with a compatibility layer on top.

https://www.theregister.com/2020/09/28/eric_raymond_linux_beats_windows_prediction/ The arguments are thus: Microsoft big money maker right now is Azure, and that OS development profits are unsurprisingly way down since they aren't pumping out new versions of windows every other year anymore...

Any moment now...
That was the dumbest take.

That guy said the proof was that they ported edge to Linux.
When in reality, they dropped their codebase and made it a chromium fork.

What's wrong with the windows kernel?

It has greater compatibility with hardware compared to Linux on consumer hardware.

They really need to just make Windows 11 and start over. This whole Forever OS crap clearly isn't working for Microsoft.
What isn't working? It's the biggest OS in the world on a billion+ devices.

People complaining about two control panels feels like the most minor complaint.

Windows X was another attempt at a locked down OS like IOS.
No idea why people are lamenting its loss

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I found that if a program has an entry in the old Start menu location, it appears when you search for it in the new Start menu.

So for the few programs that aren't automatically added as part of their installation, I go to "c:\users\<username>\appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs" and I manually add a shortcut to the program.
Thanks, I'll give this a shot when I get my PC up and running again (currently it's benched pending post-flooding basement office repairs).