Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is finally allowing games from the Windows store to be installed to any folder that can be accessed freely. The software giant started testing this functionality last year, and it's now rolling out in the Xbox all for all Windows 10 and Windows 11 users today.

This will greatly improve the game install process from the Windows store, allowing PC gamers to install titles into any folder of their choice with unrestricted access to game files. It should address the many headaches of installing games from PC Game Pass, and Windows users should be able to backup game files and restore them in the future.

Microsoft previously forced Windows users to install PC games from its app store into a dedicated WindowsApps folder at the root of a drive. While additional storage drives were supported, you couldn't install games into a folder of your choice or freely move them around or modify files.

You won't need to re-install your existing games to take advantage of this update, either. You can right-click on games in the Xbox app and select manage and then enable the new installation and game management features. Any games you install in the future will include the ability to choose which folder you install them to.

These changes will also open up the ability to mod more games from the Windows store and overall make the Xbox app a lot more Steam-like. The new Xbox app update is available immediately from the Windows store.

dKIC0Le.jpeg

www.theverge.com

Microsoft’s Xbox app now lets you install PC games to any folder

Some of the Windows store headaches are going away.

FMxpPPrXwAUG5jQ

Earlier news/scoop

Last edited:

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
As someone with a weird range of data drives for archival purposes, this is cool. I haven't dug unto the details, but I'd love to see something where a second Windows installation can "scan" newly added drives to find Windows Store installs and make them usable (if the profile has the proper license).

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Does unrestricted access also mean the files could now be re-used if say, I choose to reinstall Windows and games were on a different drive?

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So this issue is solved now right?
www.resetera.com

Gamepass PC is a ticking time bomb that results in permanently lost HDD/SSD space unless you nuke windows Microsoft - PC - Tech

EDIT: Also, almost all games that can't be uninstalled can not be reinstalled again even if you somehow manage to delete their data making that game completely unplayable. I had an issue with Wasteland 3 not being able to install about 4 months ago. What happened was I had the game installed...
Personally i have been using the advanced management for a while in insider now. And havent ran into problems.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Finally seeing some improvements. I was having an issue installing a game last week but the new update seems to have resolved the issue.

Super Craig

Oct 27, 2017
Worth noting that a game has to support it. Don't get the option on my Forza Horizon 3 install.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
If it still has issues with overall download/installing/uninstalling and missing hard drive space, then it's not much of a leap. I'll wait on the consensus before jumping back into installing anything. Installing where you want only fixes one of many problems.

Are these installs normal folder access or does it require to do some extra work to get access to them? Are they exe installs?

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I assume this means that there is no longer a need to have a WindowsApps folder or at least games don't need to go in there. This is good news as half the issues i have experienced with the app is an update failing, having to redownload the whole game only to be told that I cant install it into that folder.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
If it still has issues with overall download/installing/uninstalling and missing hard drive space, then it's not much of a leap. I'll wait on the consensus before jumping back into installing anything. Installing where you want only fixes one of many problems.

Are these installs normal folder access or does it require to do some extra work to get access to them? Are they exe installs?
I've been using this for awhile, no issues on my end.

Also no special access required and they just released an update to launch from the .exe in the folders now too, which was really my only complaint before

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using this for awhile, no issues on my end.

Also no special access required and they just released an update to launch from the .exe in the folders now too, which was really my only complaint before

Ok, then right along with all of this, are games getting more updates than they did before?

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I was in the insider build for this feature but everytime there was a patch it had to redownload the full game. Is that fixed now?

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
Seems like it's time to move everything out of the protected folders and cross my fingers that I don't have dead folders again. I assume they're moving away from some of the harsh drm with the folder security.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Basically, if they fully fix missing hard drive space, installation/download/uninstall problems and can allow mods like games on Steam would, then I may actually get back into GP.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Going to wait for more reports that people can install/uninstall games freely without issues before I try myself. Way too scarred from having to spend hours trying to complete uninstalls or running into error codes of no help etc. but this is great news regardless.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Yup I've been using the Insider build for a while and it's been great

Hopefully they de-UWP some existing titles like Sunset Overdrive though

Dosmo

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
www.resetera.com

Gamepass PC is a ticking time bomb that results in permanently lost HDD/SSD space unless you nuke windows Microsoft - PC - Tech

EDIT: Also, almost all games that can't be uninstalled can not be reinstalled again even if you somehow manage to delete their data making that game completely unplayable. I had an issue with Wasteland 3 not being able to install about 4 months ago. What happened was I had the game installed...
Should be. Worst case, you should now be able to manually delete the files if the uninstall has problems.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like it's too little, too late. I'm already super wary of GP on Windows after it fucked up my drive.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I am skeptical. Going to give it 6 months to a year before I even THINK about reinstalling that fucking dumpster fire on my pc. Hope it works out though

Jul 26, 2018
www.resetera.com

Yeah, this seems to attack the cause of all those issues people were having: the game files were too mingled with Windows OS files, hence all the limitations to simply copy paste nuke folders and that.

Finally the 21st century is here!!!

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Is this different than the previous beta that allowed you to do that? Because the last time they announced this it wasn't nearly as good as everyone hoped it would be, and only allowed you to do it on certain games.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I'm pretty PC illiterate. If PC Game Pass has been eating up my SSD when I've intended to uninstall games, will this update help me fix that retroactively relatively hands off, or will I have to actively fix up my drive myself with this update making files visible to the layperson, or is this only going to help with installation/uninstall going forward (if at all)?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
This means save data can be easily transferred to other launchers now? Great if so

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Beenusing it for months without issue, the only game that I can't install with it though is Phantom Dust sadly :(

Was one of the first things i installed on my fresh pc and it was absolute hell. Phantasy star online installing itself twice, dishonored 2 doing it 3 times and all kinds of other shit. I had to wipe and reinstall windows to get somewhere around 300g of space back. The cherry on top is the fuck you attitude from Microsoft. Been an issue for years and any online rep I talk to about it acts like they got up and ate a bowl of stupid breakfast. I'm pretty bitter about it obviously haha

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like it's too little, too late. I'm already super wary of GP on Windows after it fucked up my drive.
Jup. There are too many issues. Last time I used it I had a nother error that prevented games from even starting. It's just trash overall and subscription services don't work for me with games anyway. So I might not return to the service in the foreseeable future.
This means save data can be easily transferred to other launchers now? Great if so
That was rarely a problem for me. It depends on the game though.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Do we have access to the save games now?
You always have been access to save filed if fiddled with folder permissions. Those saves tho, most of the times, only works with the Windows Store version of the game.

You can find them in:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages

But yeah, saves are still in this particular folder, nothing has changed on that front.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Some games work with this while certain ones don't, either way it's much needed!

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Does this fix the "time bomb" issue with consuming HD space?

Yes because you can manually delete the game files now and they're in the folder you chose so it's easy to find them. I've been using it for a while on the insider ring and haven't had any issues with that aspect.

Do we have access to the save games now?

Pretty sure you always did unless they were stored in the game folder itself which isn't common. Pro tip check the PC Gaming Wiki they show the paths where save games and config files are stored.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
When I right-click a game, I have a "Manage" option and it's in there. Do you have the same?
I do.
I was looking at the Files option like in the OP picture but only see this.

NBKMwdo.png

However looking at General, I see something about Enabling Advanced Install features and clicking that only lets me change the folder where it's installed. Not the drive.

1aE22Fj.png

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
www.resetera.com

I've been using insider for a few months now and 0 issues (and dozens of games). This from someone who had issues before (with Halo specifically).