excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Saturday Night Live continued its 45th season last night with host and musical guest Chance the Rapper. During the "Weekend Update" segment, anchor Michael Che compared problematic rapper Kanye West to Jenner, who came out publicly as transgender in 2015.

Che set up his non-joke by mentioning West's new gospel album, Jesus Is King, and his plans to alter old hits with G-rated lyrics. "At first I thought Kanye was losing his mind, and now I feel like he's fine, he's just turning into an old white lady," the comedian said.

"I mean, he used to be one of the coolest black dudes on Earth. Now he's showing up to events in sweatpants and orthopedic sneakers, listening to Kenny G and trying to get black people to like Trump. It's like, how long before this guy changes his name to Kathy?"

"Now, you might think that I'm crazy, but about five years ago, there was a fella named Bruce Jenner, and he moved to Calabasas…," Che trailed off as an old photo of the pre-transition reality TV star flashed onscreen. The audience largely groaned with a smattering of uneasy laughter, and one woman could be heard saying, "No." Che then looked at co-anchor Colin Jost, who laughed uncomfortably while covering his face with his hand.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
if he just stopped into "he is turning into an old white lady" the joke could have worked.... but he went and overexplained and made it worst at every single word he said after it

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Among this week's other "Weekend Update" jokes, Che described Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who has endorsed Bernie Sanders for president, as "another young woman turning to an old man promising to pay for college."

This guy just sounds like an all-around bigot and asshole.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I miss the Wiig/ Hader years

Haven't watched much since they left

That being said comedy in general has always been very unfriendly to LGBT... especially transfolk

Rewatched Office and the amount of anti lgbt and racism stuff was stomach turning... ugh

Ive grown more and more disgusted by comedy in general and this is just another reason why Im checking out

Not gonna leave without saying fuck Che tho

Because fuck them

collige

Oct 31, 2017
If he had a picture ready and everything, then that would presumably mean that some of the production staff were aware that this trash ass joke was coming up.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Oh my god you have all that time to come up with jokes about the fuckin bullshit garbage of an album Kanye put out and THAT'S what you go with?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
He also called Rudy Giuliani "the 9/11 of mayors."

Now this is actually somewhat funny while also being terrible. See how easy it is so still be a shocking comedian without being a bigoted asshole?

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I used to love the Weekend Update segments.

This is just . . . tragically terrible. Who approved those jokes?

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
This is just . . . tragically terrible. Who approved those jokes?

You guessed it: Frank Stallone.

frankstallone560.jpg

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I just saw the clip and thought something was edited out with how abruptly it switched back to Jost. What was the point of even bringing up Jenner?

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I would swap these guys out.

No, just take them out. Che has spouted enough offensive unnecessary jokes already. Get rid of them and add two new cast members who actually deserve to be on the show. Give Weekend Update to someone else.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Dave Chappelle made similar comments regarding Jenner and got an award for comedy.

Not bringing this up as whataboutism, but as an example to those who believe that woke culture and cancel culture are killing comedians' ability to do this kind of shit whenever they want.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
If people will defend comedians punching down with trans jokes then it's no surprise that others will start to nudge that line. Shit doesn't have to hit vile before it's bad and causing harm.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
If people will defend comedians punching down with trans jokes then it's no surprise that others will start to nudge that line. Shit doesn't have to hit vile before it's bad and causing harm.

There are so many things to dunk on Jenner about without bringing up that she is trans, too. She sucks, but the fact that she is trans is not one of the reasons behind it.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
SNL constantly signal-boosts idiots like this one. It isn't even surprising anymore. Remember when they gave Dan fucking Crenshaw a platform?

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
I don't understand the logic of the joke here... Kanye sounds like he's becoming an old white woman. Got it. But how Caitlyn Jenner's transition related? Is there something about Calabasas that plays into it? Or is it just: Kanye sounds like he's becoming an old white woman. You might think that's crazy, but look, this person also became an old white woman? Is that it??

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I don't understand the logic of the joke here... Kanye sounds like he's becoming an old white woman. Got it. But how Caitlyn Jenner's transition related? Is there something about Calabasas that plays into it? Or is it just: Kanye sounds like he's becoming an old white woman. You might think that's crazy, but look, this person also became an old white woman? Is that it??

Yep that's literally the whole "joke"

Oct 27, 2017
I've been in Jack Allison's corner during his yearlong beef with Che and this only further confirms that I backed the winning horse. Michael Che and Colin Jokes are pure spew - SNL can have them forever please.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
There are so many things to dunk on Jenner about without bringing up that she is trans, too. She sucks, but the fact that she is trans is not one of the reasons behind it.
It's why I rarely if ever entertain the 'it's not what they actually think, it's just a joke' line. Past the obvious 'just a giggle' bullshit, you have all the ammunition in the world to choose from and you nosedive right into the trans space? ..and then I'm supposed to somehow not think you harbour shitty views?

looprider

Oct 27, 2017
Yeahhh this was bad. The punchline is that a trans woman exists? Caitlyn Jenner can take a joke about herself (see Alec Baldwin roast, interviews) but this.. is not so much a joke as straight up 20th century transphobic garbage recycled as a "joke." And of all the things you can make fun of Kanye about.. you go with this? Bullshit

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
If you thought my trans joke wasn't shitty enough, how bout implying Bernie is AOC's sugar daddy for some reason
I mean, that seemed like an extremely average political joke by SNL standards. Just because it's at the expense of somebody you agree with doesn't make it particularly offensive or unforgivable.

But yeah, the Kanye/Jenner joke clearly didn't go over well and you could tell that Che was fully aware of that as the joke went on.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the video. Correct me if I'm wrong but, Michael says something like, "5 years ago there was a fella named Bruce Jenner". Wouldn't he be correct in naming what Caitlyn Jenner was called 5 years ago? Am I misunderstanding?

Also, the joke itself was just terrible.