WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I want Sylux to turn out to be an actual Chozo. Can you imagune that reveal where after a major fight with Samus, his helmet breaks, and boom, beak and feathers show up. Could be a cool plot hook, hates Samus because of her use of the Chozo tech, and hates the federation for not helping them out during the Metroid Crisis pre Metroid ZM.
Yes. That would be great.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
I want Sylux to turn out to be an actual Chozo. Can you imagune that reveal where after a major fight with Samus, his helmet breaks, and boom, beak and feathers show up. Could be a cool plot hook, hates Samus because of her use of the Chozo tech, and hates the federation for not helping them out during the Metroid Crisis pre Metroid ZM.
Lol.

This is why Metroid needs to go back to being a game with almost no story telling, and bring back the feeling of being alone in a dangerous planet.

They could (re)learn a few things from Souls.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt any of those Hunters will appear again.
The guy literally shows up in the post-credits for the two last games named "Prime" and the producer is talking for years how he would show up in the next game. Why would you doubt it?

Lol.

This is why Metroid needs to go back to being a game with almost no story telling, and bring back the feeling of being alone in a dangerous planet.

If they have to learn from something, it's from Prime 1.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
That'd be more interesting

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
My only question is: Why him? Out of all the other bounty hunters between Hunters and Corruption, they chose Sylux? Weavel has better motivation (space pirate and got fucked up by Samus), hell even Kanden does (rogue super solider experiment gone AWOL). Sylux just... hates Samus?

At the end of the day though, it doesn't really matter to me as long as the game is good.

oh, but can we have Rundas back? ._.

I imagine one wouldn't need to play the DS original to understand Sylux. He's just a rival hunter

No you don't. They don't even explain the hunters' motivations in the game. They were explained on the website and in other promo material.

He and everything from Hunters and FF should stay far away from MP4.

hey, you take that back

Hunters had an amazing online play. And for years it was Nintendo's best online system in a game, with friends, voice chat, rival system, and stat tracking.

There are some redeeming qualities from Hunters, including the controls.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Federation Force was a minor spinoff, what does it matter what that game does? By this logic Metroid Prime Pinball is part of the Metroid canon too.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Lol.

This is ironic. They could learn a few things from Souls, like actual characterization of the villains.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Is Sylux the Thanos of Nintendo?

I hope they redesign him so he doesn't look like a sharpie pen transformer.

Nov 1, 2017
Lol so will this guy be the controversial thing that causes Metroid fans to skip yet another entry in their beloved series? I can't wait until the proper reveal.

FatGoron

Oct 27, 2017
The "hate" against Sylux is the funniest thing. You are essentially hating a blank slate of a character for no reason.

It really isn't Sylux itself.... it's more the fact that the Galactic Federation is the single most generic and uninteresting element in the Metroid universe.
All we know about Sylux is that "he hates Samus and the GF", so it's easy to assume that, if Sylux is a villain in MP4, the GF will play a BIG role in the game..... and some people are just kinda..... eh..... about it.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Sylux needs to be reimagined from the ground up, he's lame as hell and i hope he's nowhere to be seen in MP4

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I couldnt care less. i just want a new 3D Metroid that doenst betray the franchise or the character of Samus. If it has to be a new Prime so be it but the trilogy is over. Lets not go back to Phazon please.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It really isn't Sylux itself.... it's more the fact that the Galactic Federation is the single most generic and uninteresting element in the Metroid universe.
All we know about Sylux is that "he hates Samus and the GF", so it's easy to assume that, if Sylux is a villain in MP4, the GF will play a BIG role in the game..... and some people are just kinda..... eh..... about it.

This is from a series which feature "Space Pirates". Every inch of general lore surrounding Prime is generic and uninspiring as hell. It is more about the games themselves they were featured in and how the factions were handled than the Galactic Force itself.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get the problem. He's a blank slate essentially. It's always a good idea for a game to have a general storyline, and (if there's a villain) villains with motivations. It doesn't need to be shoved in our face constantly during gameplay, but that doesn't mean it can't exist.

This is ironic. They could learn a few things from Souls, like actual characterization of the villains.

That was my first thought when I read that too haha

FatGoron

Oct 27, 2017
This is from a series which feature "Space Pirates". It is more about the games themselves were they are featured than the concept itself.

And yet, aside from the unfortunate name, they are actually a different alien race, with cool designs, and are led by a giant living brain and a winged dragon.

The Federation are just.... space marines... and have the whole "a faction of them was evil all along" thing going on for some games now, which is the blandest thing they could do with the concept.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm terrified this games controls will be fucked. Nintendo of Japan has never made an FPS to my knowledge. Hope theyvth got ID or Retro doing consulting.
After BotW I have zero worries they might fuck up something as common in 2018 as FPS controls. This isnt 2002 anymore where consoles were only coming to fully grasp a standarized FPS control scheme, and this Switch isnt the Wii or the WiiU. I'm sure we'll get optional motion controls and a classic one stick Prime scheme but Im also certian they will give a dual analog option. They cant have an FPS in 2019 without that.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
I REALLY hope Sylux isn't the main antagonist of Prime 4. For me, personally, he wouldn't even make it into the game.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
eh. I think the design is fine and if they don't force cutscenes and talking with him, the character can work well. Just shows us his story through logs and small interactions, but make the whole game still be about Samus alone exploring somewhere, with Sylux showing up as a boss. I really don't think it's much different from Dark Samus.
But why him

There is literally no defining factor about him other than he looks like a McDonalds Happy Meal Toy reject.

You could with ease make hundreds of more interesting, cooler and more fitting to the series characters. Why does it just have to be Sylux? If he's a blank slate, then we would lose literally nothing by throwing him away, and we could have a villain that's interesting instead.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
But why him

There is literally no defining factor about him other than he looks like a McDonalds Happy Meal Toy reject.

You could with ease make hundreds of more interesting, cooler and more fitting to the series characters. Why does it just have to be Sylux? If he's a blank slate, then we would lose literally nothing by throwing him away, and we could have a villain that's interesting instead.

Just redesign him and call it a day. The humans in the last Metroid Prime spinoff game were redesigned to have giant heads, who cares if Sylux is redesigned to look a lot cooler?

I don't necessarily want him to be in the game, but clearly the two cutscenes in the OP suggest he'll be a big focus of the plot at some point. Let's make the best of it.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just redesign him and call it a day. The humans in the last Metroid Prime spinoff game were redesigned to have giant heads, who cares if Sylux is redesigned to look a lot cooler?

I don't necessarily want him to be in the game, but clearly the two cutscenes in the OP suggest he'll be a big focus of the plot at some point. Let's make the best of it.
I will agree that if they turn him into a different character altogether he could turn out fine.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But why him

I don't know why him, but he's a blank state like you said. It's hard for me to hate a character that never did anything bad to these games. I also think he fits the series, his design is pretty alien and he's a bounty hunter that doesn't speak anything.

They can redesign him (and probably will). I just don't care too much about why or why not use Sylux (they will tho, so I won't bother getting mad at it before seeing the execution), I just don't want a lot of exposition in the main story, but I don't think that depends on Sylux.

Oct 25, 2017
Why does Sylux have to have previous characterization? Literally the options for Prime 4 are: A new character with no previous characterization, or classic Motherbrain/Ridley.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
I had no idea people hated sylux. I think it could be cool to bring back some of the hunters, and that Prime 3's ending was a cool way to hype up the idea of sylux making a return.

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't played any of the games Sylux was in so i don't really have an opinion on him. Metroid bosses aren't exactly deep or overly present in the story usually, so i hope him being a sorta recurring character doesn't mean we're getting too much plot in the game. I think Corruption was already pushing it.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
They've kinda done "evil superpowered Samus clone" twice in the Metroid games, but I think Sylux could be interesting as an actual inversion of Samus's character: make him a bounty hunter who was raised by the Space Pirates just like Samus was raised by the Chozo. I don't think anyone wants Prime 4 to be some kind of giant lore dump, but a good straightforward/simply-understood antagonist with an engaging personality would be great.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I do not care about any (specific) characters in the Metroid universe, do not want to learn anything more about them, and have no use for this stupid character design. Just build some hostile (non-verbal) aliens and scatter some planet-specific lore for me to read, and we're good.

Deleted member 42641

Banned
Apr 25, 2018
Metroid is so ripe for a cool story, characters, setting etc. Just anything really so much potential there but it seems the series doesn't really have the leads to bring it to that level.

We have yet to see any of Prime 4 so this could all be in vain, but the series certainly needs some fresh ideas to really return to what we love it as

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
And yet, aside from the unfortunate name, they are actually a different alien race, with cool designs, and are led by a giant living brain and a winged dragon.

The Federation are just.... space marines... and have the whole "a faction of them was evil all along" thing going on for some games now, which is the blandest thing they could do with the concept.

These are the least exciting things to ever try make something sound exciting. The designs and behaviour of the space pirates in Prime are as generic as it gets.

Omega Pirate is literally Federation Force-tier bad. Like I said, the general lore in Prime is just extremely uninsipired all around. The Galactic Force is not some grand outlier.

Livia

Banned
Feb 9, 2018
Bergen
I don't get why Metroid Prime 4 needs a "story". Prime 1 didn't have a story other then some few cutscenes, but you kinda figured out the story or lore by scanning the enviroment. I pray they use the Prime 1 template and create something similar to that game in terms of the worlds and its enviroments, along with great enemy designs and an atmospheric soundtrack. Isolation, exploration and atmosphere is what really makes a Metroid game truly great.

AaronC

Oct 29, 2017
Never understood the apparent motivation to try and make Sylux a thing.

He was just one of 6 random shells made for Hunters because it needed characters for its multiplayer mode. It was novel having different characters and types of weapons in a Metroid spinoff, but they all had backstories you could write on the back of a postage stamp.

Nobody cares about him, nobody cares about trying to make him happen.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never understood the apparent motivation to try and make Sylux a thing.

He was just one of 6 random shells made for Hunters because it needed characters for its multiplayer mode. It was novel having different characters and types of weapons in a Metroid spinoff, but they all had backstories you could write on the back of a postage stamp.

Nobody cares about him, nobody cares about trying to make him happen.
This so much. If it wasnt for Era and before this g-a-f I swear I wouldnt remember that this guy existed, much less his name. He was completely forgettable.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean who else would be the villian? Phazon will probably be gone, so Dark Samus probably won't be the villian.

Well, the Federation turned to be corrupted in the end of Mother M and Fusion, why not make the federation hunts Samus or Samus hunt the corrupted federation

I couldn't care less about Sylux.

The Prime trilogy is over. The story has been told. Cut the subtitle and move on.

Eh, yes, the Phazon story was the main point of Prime , unless focuses now into Hunters and fight for the remaining phazon

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
We need to see what he can do before we completely denounce him.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't care less about Sylux.

The Prime trilogy is over. The story has been told. Cut the subtitle and move on.
Im willing to bet you anything that that they are dropping the number but not the subtitle. MP4 was just a placeholder title given to us so that Samus Returns didnt get a Federation Force backlash because of fans feeling Nintendo didnt care enough. The damn MP4 logo wasnt even completely new! The Metroid Prime in the logo was a rehash from MP3, only the "4" was new.

Come this E3 I hope we'll learn its subtitle and they're dropping the 4 but its too late to drop Prime.