• 5mil

Votes: 585 20.9%

• Total voters

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
⛔️ Pls don't Thread in this Dread ⛔️

latest

First of all, to make things clear, if this game clears 2mil-3mil it's a major success. I'm talking about mainly if Metroid dread can pull the franchise in a way like AC/LoZ did for their franchises.

This thread is just saying that can this game really make the frachise more Boom in terms of success rather than maybe breaking previous record in sales

Anywayzzz List of Metroid Games that are the best sellers

2.82mil Metroid Prime (GCN)
2.73mil Metroid (NES)
1.76mil Metroid 2 (GB)
1.68mil Metroid Fusion (GBA)

Metroid Dread had a huge push and was the biggest surprise of Nintendo E3

seems Nintendo is really pushing this game as well as the reception (so far) has been positive.

Post your thoughts and how much you think it'll do lifetime WW

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
I'm gonna give it a safe 3.5 mil. Itll be successful, but it wont explode like Animal Crossing did.

Either way Nintendo are showing that they're willing to cater to their hardcore fans with this game. Tons of respect for releasing a side scrolling Metroid game on their modern console.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
It's primed for success releasing on Switch. The only circumstances that would've propelled it further would be releasing alongside the Switch successor.

Pr1me wasn't even a launch game, and it sold the most of the series on one of the less-selling consoles. Anything releasing on Switch has a much higher ceiling than that, let alone a series with a diehard base who are clamouring for it

Nov 25, 2017
Finland
It'll be hard. Samus' new design is kinda edgycool, but remains quite generic 3D generated character for lots of peeps who haven't grown with her.

I mean, if you look at the cover without all the nostalgia kicking in... who gets interested about this Ms. Generic McGeneric ?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it'll end up being one of Nintendo's evergreens, and in those cases Nintendo's insistence on not cutting the price of games tend to work against long term legs (ARMS, Origami King, Astral Chain, etc.), but I think Dread will easily become the biggest Metroid game so far. The franchise's word-of-mouth is stronger than its ever been, bolstered by a strong showing, and Metroidvania is bigger than it ever was. 3 mil seems like the safest bet, especially looking at performance of other iconic 2D revivals on Switch like Link's Awakening. Beyond that, who knows.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I voted 3M. I think it'll do solidly in absolute terms and could set a record for the series due to being an unexpected revival with a good initial showing.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
5 million is a lot. It could maybe become the best selling at 3 million but I don't think it'd go higher than that.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's not gonna double the sales of Prime lmao. And Metroid has notoriously weaker legs than most other Nintendo franchises, so 3 million is probably the absolute ceiling.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
I'd be over the moon if it made only a million. I be shocked and elated if it goes over a quarter of that.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna give it a safe 3.5 mil. Itll be successful, but it wont explode like Animal Crossing did.

Either way Nintendo are showing that they're willing to cater to their hardcore fans with this game. Tons of respect for releasing a side scrolling Metroid game on their modern console.
This is an odd comparison, there's only a handful of games that could even compare to Animal Crossing in this regard, even if it wasn't for Covid AC would have cleared probably 15 million easily. As much as I love Metroid, it was never going to reach anywhere near those numbers because people are heathens with trash taste it's much more niche.

I think at the very most it might do around 3 million if things go very well well. Depends on how much all of the good will games like Hollow Knight and others in the metroidvania genre were able to generate during the time Metroid has been somewhat absent.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's going to be a slow starter, as I reckon $60 for a fairly budget-looking 2D Metroidvania is going to be a tough sell when the genre is so well-represented in the indie space. Though a few years and a few discounts later, and I can certainly see it competing to be the biggest-selling Metroid game.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it's gonna do too well (by 20's Nintendo standards). Maybe 2 mil? I think Prime 4 has a better chance of being a breakout hit, I don't know how many people are into Metroid but I think Prime has a better chance of bringing in regular gamers.

Oct 25, 2017
At a price any lower than $60 I would've voted 5m easy. But when you've got Metroidvanias like Hollow Knight or Ori or Axiom Verge routinely launching at sub-$40, even I'm sitting here like…. Do I really want to pay full price for this? And I like Metroid a lot.

Hopefully I'm wrong because I'd love to see more Metroid but yeah. I'm expecting a more modest success I think.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it'll end up being one of Nintendo's evergreens, and in those cases Nintendo's insistence on not cutting the price of games tend to work against long term legs (ARMS, Origami King, Astral Chain, etc.), but I think Dread will easily become the biggest Metroid game so far. The franchise's word-of-mouth is stronger than its ever been, bolstered by a strong showing, and Metroidvania is bigger than it ever was. 3 mil seems like the safest bet, especially looking at performance of other iconic 2D revivals on Switch like Link's Awakening. Beyond that, who knows.

My thoughts exactly.

Not one of the big evergreen titles but Metroid (well, specifically Samus) has never had so much mindshare, in large parts thanks to the continued success of Smash Bros. Seriously, any Smash kid knows Samus thanks to that game.

Will do very well compared to other games in the franchise I think. This isn't Animal Crossing or Zelda though.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think it'll mostly depend on critical reception and word of mouth to see how far this goes. $60 doesn't help it either, given the pricing of its indie counterparts.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
I think 2 million is a reasonable hope. Anything above that would be very impressive.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
A 2-D game for $60 is gonna be a tough sell to the mainstream, but I think there're enough Nintendo/metroid fans to push it past the 3 million. Whether it hits 5 million depends on critical reception and word of mouth.

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
I think around 1 million copies unless Nintendo put serious effort in marketing this game. Doubt it will sell anywhere close to the sales of Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze on Switch which seems to be around 3 millions.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Considering that more popular series like Donkey Kong, Kirby or Fire Emblem have just recently hit 3 million after years in the market, it's doubtful Metroid can get anywhere close to 5 million.

It could get to 3 million, perhaps 3.5 million but with lots of luck. Even Hollow Knight hasn't hit those numbers yet and it's much cheaper.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confident it can make about 4 million, and hopeful it will reach 5 million.

Jockel

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin
It's made by MercurySteam, so I'd guess the numbers won't stray too far from Samus Returns. Probably a bit more since Switch is in a way better place than the 3DS was at the time of release.

hog

Mar 9, 2021
I think Era is very much overestimating this series' mainstream appeal here. It'll do pretty well but it's not going to blow minds.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, as a Metroid fan, I hope it sells gangbusters, but I'm not expecting it, since we live in a cruel, dark world.

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Metroid still sorta unpopular in Japan? And some of those other Metroid games seemed far more visually impressive for their systems at the time.

I think it's an old franchise that less people might remember than you think. I also think a single player only side scrolling game at 60 bucks might have less appeal when other games on the system look more impressive or have a wider appeal.

No way it sells 5 million

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
These types of games have their fans. But there's also a lot of competition. Metroid isn't Mario and it isn't Zelda. I would personally be surprised with +2 mil. In any case, I will be buying!

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Maybe not 5 but close. I would hope so, it's a big name in the industry and big names are selling well in the last few years.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
1 mill~ is guaranteed, lifetime around 3 mill

This is the chance for the IP to start hitting the major leagues and push Metroid Prime 4 into the 7 mill~ zone.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to say. On one hand, lots of franchises have done best on Switch. On the other, it's still games in the Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and AC IPs above 5M; only Splatoon (which is clearly staying in that range) and Ring Fit are exceptions. There's a rather sharp drop-off too, with nothing between 3.5M and 5M.

I will say that Metroid Dread has a lot going for it, especially compared to Samus Returns. While the latter was a 3DS game that shared its first holiday with the Switch and BotW, Odyssey, and Xenoblade, Metroid Dread is just about the only brand-new single player game with some form of narrative from Nintendo not only this fall, but this year. It's in prime (heh) position to pick up some new stray fans, and I think you're already seeing some of the effects of that with the mind share the game has after E3. A lot of people that would normally be talking about something else just don't have that something else.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
3ml if Nintendo does no mainstream marketing over 5ml if they do.

1st party Switch software always sells millions.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just cuz it has 80 pages of an OT doesn't mean that's translating out of here. Still has to battle being a low selling franchise + 60 dollars for a side scrolling game competing with some greats that sell for like 20 bucks.

It'll probably do the best the franchise has done (until prime 4) simply by existing and being on the Switch, but I don't see it doing much past say, Fire Emblem or Xenoblade.

OP
OP
Tbone5189

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
5 million is a lot. It could maybe become the best selling at 3 million but I don't think it'd go higher than that.

That seems to be the general state of mind for the game so it's cool

I mean, sure would love it but let's calm down with lofty expectations like this^^

It's not an expectation, more as a "can it" question. Expectations are 2mil estimate with some optimistic of 3mil.

It's not gonna double the sales of Prime lmao. And Metroid has notoriously weaker legs than most other Nintendo franchises, so 3 million is probably the absolute ceiling.

it doesn't need to double it, under double is fine 😉

also BotW going to quadruple the previous best selling Zelda lifetime :P

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
Yeah afaik Metroid is unpopular in Japan. As opposed to Nintendo's other ips, which have worldwide appeal. It'll have to do well in America and Europe.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
1.5Mil at most.

I've been in rabbit holes like this multiple times before, and been burnt each time. Revived cult-classic sequel gets a fuckton of hype from its fans, "this is going to be the one that makes the series popular!" and then it bombs horrifically. Every. Time.

Cult Classic IPs like this will always be Cult Classic IPs - The only time they ever escape from Cult Classic status is by selling their soul and completely losing what that Cult Classic audience loved it for.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
I think the safe prediction is between 2-4 Million.

Also I find the whole discourse around whether Switch owners will spend $60 on a 2D game when a average port of NSMB U is selling like hotcakes.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Just cuz it has 80 pages of an OT doesn't mean that's translating out of here. Still has to battle being a low selling franchise + 60 dollars for a side scrolling game competing with some greats that sell for like 20 bucks.

It'll probably do the best the franchise has done (until prime 4) simply by existing and being on the Switch, but I don't see it doing much past say, Fire Emblem or Xenoblade.
What else are existing Switch owners that are fans of single player games buying this year?

SMTV?

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I'm hoping for a breakout of 3m (voted) maybe is stars align 4m.
All I want is nintendo to be happh so we get more Metroid.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Samus has gotten a lot of exposure in Smash and is well known there.
To call her generic in a time full of angry white middleage men with short hair is also quite a reach like someone here did.
People are hungry for games on Switch and I guess this will help Metroid, as well as being features as their big October/November game.
Compare it to the Wii with the third installment of a sub-series, a shitty game or the 3DS with "just" a remake on a platform that was as good as dead,
the Switch is still going strong.
The market for Metroidvanias also expanded over the years and I'm sure more people are willing to play a game of the franchise that founded this genre.
Then again 2D might help in Japan more, but I think a proper Prime in a 3D world is more appealing in the west.

3 mill could be and I hope for even more