vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
header.jpg

Thought this was worth making considering performance is looking kinda spooky + most of the posts in the demo thread are all that.

i7 7700k/1080 Ti here. Older rig but it should still be able to knock this one out of the park. Performance is all over the place for me especially in large open spaces like Grand Trad. There's also jaggies EVERYWHERE. Might just scale up as far as I can, lock it at 30FPS and call it a day. The fluctuations are what's bothering me.

I'll update the OP as community suggestions and fixes come in.
  • The game opens with rendering scale at 200% which could explain frame rate issues for you. Make sure to turn that back down to 100%
  • Slow performance could also be due to the game incorrectly using integrated graphics. If this is the case, switch to your GPU in Windows Graphics Settings
CPU Affinity Fix:

Start the game, start Task Manager, go to Details, right click Metaphor.exe and change Affinity, set it to one core and save. Repeat and tick all cores back again and it will not go back to eating one whole core and causing these issues again. Sadly you need to do this every time you start the game.

DXVK Fix:

People are reporting that DXVK dramatically increases performance. Download it and drag its contents into the Metaphor directory. If this doesn't work try disabling RTSS if you have it installed.
github.com

Release Version 2.4 · doitsujin/dxvk

D3D8 support D8VK is now part of DXVK, and implements D3D8 largely on top of the existing D3D9 implementation. Please refer to pull request #3411 for further details. Native WSI changes dxvk-native...

SpecialK Performance Fix:

This game has absolutely insane timing code under the hood that's causing some of the worst performance I have ever seen in a game. I threw together a patch to remove the bulk of the offending threading code and replace it with more efficient scheduling.

None of the problems are graphics API related, they should be so lucky :)

Extract this to your game's directory and it will apply the fixes automatically.

MINIMUM:
  • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 or AMD FX-6300
  • Memory: 6 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti, 4GB or AMD Radeon R7 360, 4GB or Intel Arc A310, 4GB
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Storage: 93 GB available space
  • Additional Notes: 720p @ 30 FPS. A CPU with AVX support is required.
RECOMMENDED:
  • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-7600 or Ryzen 5 2600
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, 4GB or AMD Radeon RX 480, 4GB or Intel Arc A380, 6GB
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Storage: 93 GB available space
  • Additional Notes: 1080p @ 60 FPS. A CPU with AVX support is required.

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
locking at 75 fps on my ryzen 7700 and rtx 4070 nets a pretty stable experience at 150% res scale (1440p)
locking at 60 fps makes it basically 100% stable

RoshuanNL

Jun 17, 2024
holy, I heard about the performance from others (mine is still downloading), but I should be able to run it well based on these recommended specs... weird, might it get a day one patch or something?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
runs well at 1080p 60 with 100% render scale on my 1660 ti ryzen 4800h but it runs too heavy for a ps3 looking game. forza horizon 4 doesn't run this heavy on my system

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly quite bad from my side.

With a 3080/13700k, at 4k (100% res scale) and all turned on, there are many section where it doesn't go above 45fps while using like 50% tops of the GPU.

Seems very bad optimized.

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
Runs pretty poorly on my 7800x3D + 4080 machine. Inexcusably so to be honest. Really in dire need of optimization and DLSS.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
It's so crazy this game doesn't have a TAA solution. This game is built on some really ancient tech.

tandeciarz

Apr 21, 2020
Good lord… no time to focus on the right priorities in terms of doing a competent PC port but there was time to add DRM, this sucks

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
i5-8600k/RTX4070/1080p here and it's okay at normal textures, 100% scaling, at 60fps. But it should be running way better than just "ok" considering how it looks

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Copied from the Steam forums but this improved performance for me

Start the game start Task manager go to Details right click Metaphor.exe and change Affinity, set it to one core save, Repeat and tick all cores back again and for some reason it will not go back to eating one whole core and causing these issues again. Sadly you need to do this every time you start the game.

Apparently using DXVK works for some people too.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing on a review code but just a PSA that when I loaded it up on Steam, it was running at like 10fps and I had no idea why (I have a 4070ti)... until I found out it was using integrated graphics for some inexplicable reason. I had to switch it to use the GPU manually in my Windows graphics settings. Just in case this helps fix the performance for anyone!

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
the "fuck taa" guys love this game.
😂 😂

Copied from the Steam forums but this improved performance for me

Apparently using DXVK works for some people too.
Lmfao I remember having to do this with Dishonored 2's disastrous port at launch.

Hooray! Just as I expected!
Lyall save me!
Gotta look at the bright side. Glad they put this demo out now so all the little fan fixes and patches should be ready by launch.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Played for 30 minutes at max graphics and 60fps. Seemed okay with some dips.
Graphically the game looks like ass. I love the style of it all, but the graphics are giving me Fire Emblem Three Houses flashbacks.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Gotta look at the bright side. Glad they put this demo out now so all the little fan fixes and patches should be ready by launch.
Yeah, I just wish Atlus would put that liiiiiiiiitle bit of extra work on their PC ports. Though, people showing up for this stuff anyway (me included) so there's probably not a whole lot of motivation to do so.

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020
It's meh, mostly sticking to 60-ish, only made it to the fortress and getting the odd drop to 50. I like the art style but graphically this game is dogshit so the performance is not warranted, having said that 60-ish isn't unplayable.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Disappointing that it seems like it's choking so much with 2 weeks until release. I really hope it gets addressed somehow.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah, I just wish Atlus would put that liiiiiiiiitle bit of extra work on their PC ports. Though, people showing up for this stuff anyway (me included) so there's probably not a whole lot of motivation to do so.
P3R and SMTVV were buttery. So happy they're moving away from their in-house engine.

Yep I noticed this immediately upon booting and going to the graphics menu.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
did a little 1080p rig test and I have it locked to 60 on a 1660 super with no drops (high texture and 100% render)