ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else trying to kill the boss in the goblin dungeon that Brigitta sends you to? This seems like a good spot to farm too if you want to do that. Wouldn't recommend coming here if you don't have a mage and healer though.
How did you even talk to her to get that? I didn't have enough Wisdom and there's only 3 days.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I put almost all my level up points into Magic on MC in preparation for early game in SMT usually being skewed towards magic.

The Warrior passive at level 3 being an attack boost from having another of the Archetype works out perfectly for Grius and Strohl early on not to mention the fire resistance.
Yeah this is 100% the play. Also makes fighting the Dragon a lot easier.
Having Seeker be weak to most of the early enemies is a really clever way to get people to experiment with the archetypes.

How did you even talk to her to get that? I didn't have enough Wisdom and there's only 3 days.
There's a guy on the main street that you can talk to after you exit the alley that wants you to help out with the cooking at the inn. You can get enough wisdom from that.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Okay is anyone else slightly disappointed in archetypes design so far? They're colourless and isn't as interesting looking as the personas
As someone who always felt the Personas were overly designed and too busy these more or less fall into the same category for me. They are a bit basic looking in terms of overall aesthetics and use of color compared to the Personas, but they still have that overly complicated look and element to them. There's going to be like over 40 of them though so I figure some of them are bound to look good.

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
having the protagonist voice your choices is making it really hard not to choose the asshole option in conversations now

Gallica: "I wish I wasn't so useless"

Protag: "Me too"

😂

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Played through the first dungeon on the Deck and unlike the city and the starting area it actually ran at a solid 30fps. IQ is just so bad though.

Elster

Jun 6, 2021
Hmmm, then I'll probably wait until someone makes a time management guide or something like that. I'm really bad at that and I'm always worried I'll do something wrong, screw my playthrough and have to repeat several hours of gameplay.
Yeah I'm hoping one of the like achievement guide people like powerpyx has one up day 1 lol

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
So... about the story.

Do you guys think our MC is from the "real world"?

I hope not, because it's soooo easy to see.
That's what they're alluding to, yeah. Eldas are Humans from our world while "Humans" are Eldas that got corrupted by Magla along the way. Main character's canon name is Will which seems too normal for a fantasy world. Eldas have no distinguishing features compared to the rest of the tribes and are treated as outsiders. A lot of this was pretty evident when you remember the original Re Fantasy teasers.

My big question is how the King fits into all of this. He placed More in Akademeia and the scroll that has the player's name in it is protected by his royal magic.

Azuos

Sep 29, 2021
That's what they're alluding to, yeah. Eldas are Humans from our world while "Humans" are Eldas that got corrupted by Magla along the way. Main character's canon name is Will which seems too normal for a fantasy world. Eldas have no distinguishing features compared to the rest of the tribes and are treated as outsiders. A lot of this was pretty evident when you remember the original Re Fantasy teasers.

My big question is how the King fits into all of this. He placed More in Akademeia and the scroll that has the player's name in it is protected by his royal magic.
Oh, I see. I understand things better now.

I've never played an Atlus game before, but I want to get this one just to see where the story goes.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
the game seems good, but I can't remember a game having worse legibility. Honestly so bad, everything with the text is a mess, feel like it almost shouldn't be allowed to pass cert when it's like this.

Nm6k2001

Oct 28, 2023
California
ngl I kinda groaned when the world map loaded and I saw the city is structured like every generic isekai/fantasy anime city with only the big funky structure spicing it up.

cftzj2xsld661.png

like it's giving that
I still can't believe that's real

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
having the protagonist voice your choices is making it really hard not to choose the asshole option in conversations now

Gallica: "I wish I wasn't so useless"

Protag: "Me too"

😂

Same but I actually followed through since I feel like sarcastic MC would be funnier and it's not like we have SL again so I want to break up my 80+ playthrough with some comedic moments.

Oct 27, 2017
This is absolutely fantasy Persona in every way that counts and I'm getting close to day 1 territory.
A lot of small changes and expansions in the systems.

Last edited:

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Just went through the very first cutscenes and reached the city.

So far, they are hitting the vibe very well. It's more brutal than modern Persona could ever be. I hope they really dig into (and please nail) the politics and race relation stuff. The only thing that was tonally off was how cartoonishly obvious the main villain is lol.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just went through the very first cutscenes and reached the city.

So far, they are hitting the vibe very well. It's more brutal than modern Persona could ever be. I hope they really dig into (and please nail) the politics and race relation stuff. The only thing that was tonally off was how cartoonishly obvious the main villain is lol.

This is the biggest issue I have. The VERY beginning of the intro, I was thinking "Oh, Louis could actually be a kinda cool conflicted/tragic villain". And then fifteen seconds later he's smirking stock villain mode. He doesn't get better during the main part of the prologue.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, and small sample size, but they're nailing the balance of script vs codex so far. I have enough context clues to understand what an Igniter does and that it's an uncommon sight (without spelling it out), but the codex fills more in.

Think FF16 nails this well too. Hope the trend continues for JRPGs.

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
I was almost certainly going to pre-order even without this demo but it pushed me over the edge and I did it

It's really, really good so far, and it's a very welcome change in setting to the Persona games, little changes in the gameplay make it a fresh experience as well despite all the similarities to other Atlus games, looking forward to grinding out the job system.

Also, the whole cast is great, Atlus managed to make a 'mascot' not annoying for once in Gallica, Strohl has a lot of heart, and albeit interactions have been brief with Hulkenberg, her voice acting is great and she seems a bit different to the usual first female party member you get. Also a fan of More having completely different energy to Igor lol

Louis seems like quite a stock villain so far though, just looks to be the typical power hungry and obsessive type, hopefully he gets some sort of interesting story in the full game

finally, late prologue spoiler Grius death was so predictable lmao, the game not giving you a social link with him and him being the same class as Strohl just made it so obvious

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Played the first hour or so. After how good Persona 5's opening was, I was a little shocked at how disjointed this opening is. Having to run around in a field full of enemies but being too weak to actually fight anything was certainly a choice. Really feels like they should have just cut that segment entirely.

The mascot/navigator character (the fairy) is already much more likeable and interesting than Morgana & Teddie. The writing quality in general seems solid. Combat has been really basic so far (on Hard mode), but I'm looking forward to it expanding later. Going Luck build because I'm an Etrian Odyssey fan and so I figure it's conceivable that stuff like Ailments might actually be viable in this game.

I also really like the look of the game. Seems to run fine on my computer (RTX 4070) but I'm not really sensitive to stuff like framerates.

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
Played the first hour or so. After how good Persona 5's opening was, I was a little shocked at how disjointed this opening is. Having to run around in a field full of enemies but being too weak to actually fight anything was certainly a choice. Really feels like they should have just cut that segment entirely.

The mascot/navigator character (the fairy) is already much more likeable and interesting than Morgana & Teddie. The writing quality in general seems solid. Combat has been really basic so far (on Hard mode), but I'm looking forward to it expanding later. Going Luck build because I'm an Etrian Odyssey fan and so I figure it's conceivable that stuff like Ailments might actually be viable in this game.

I also really like the look of the game. Seems to run fine on my computer (RTX 4070) but I'm not really sensitive to stuff like framerates.
Oh yeah I was a bit surprised with how the game just throws you in, it felt like there should have been a playable section right before that, or maybe a longer intro cutscene

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I was almost certainly going to pre-order even without this demo but it pushed me over the edge and I did it

It's really, really good so far, and it's a very welcome change in setting to the Persona games, little changes in the gameplay make it a fresh experience as well despite all the similarities to other Atlus games, looking forward to grinding out the job system.

Also, the whole cast is great, Atlus managed to make a 'mascot' not annoying for once in Gallica, Strohl has a lot of heart, and albeit interactions have been brief with Hulkenberg, her voice acting is great and she seems a bit different to the usual first female party member you get. Also a fan of More having completely different energy to Igor lol

Louis seems like quite a stock villain so far though, just looks to be the typical power hungry and obsessive type, hopefully he gets some sort of interesting story in the full game

finally, late prologue spoiler Grius death was so predictable lmao, the game not giving you a social link with him and him being the same class as Strohl just made it so obvious

Hulkenberg has a great voice but I kind of wish they gave her a more distinct accent. Like if they let her accent match the RIDICULOUS name they gave her it would add to the character, I think. But beyond that I'm glad she's not just a standard Persona "first girl".

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is 100% the play. Also makes fighting the Dragon a lot easier.
Having Seeker be weak to most of the early enemies is a really clever way to get people to experiment with the archetypes.

There's a guy on the main street that you can talk to after you exit the alley that wants you to help out with the cooking at the inn. You can get enough wisdom from that.
Ah damn, I don't have enough days left in the demo to do this. Will have to do it once it comes out.

Steamy Manatee

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 18, 2022
yeah the opening part felt really janky/not good. It did pick up for me after that thankfully.
The pacing was awful for the first 30 mins, probably worse than Persona but it does pick up rather quickly. Kept playing the demo and I am still appalled by how bad these environments look. I can see and feel the art direction but it just never came together. Still confused what happened here.

Not a deal breaker but probably the first Atlus game since PS2 that I actually think it looks a bit fugly

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Strohl is giving off more Ramza/Delita vibes and less "Here's your assigned bro best friend" Persona vibes. Which is a big step up as far as I'm concerned.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, the opening is pretty awful/boring, ngl. I turned it off after 10min, the stuttering was doing me in. Do I have to have these weird floaty things in the air everywhere all the time? It's like they kept asking themselves how to one up P5 and made an incredibly messy picture/UI.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The pacing was awful for the first 30 mins, probably worse than Persona but it does pick up rather quickly. Kept playing the demo and I am still appalled by how bad these environments look. I can see and feel the art direction but it just never came together. Still confused what happened here.

Not a deal breaker but probably the first Atlus game since PS2 that I actually think it looks a bit fugly

Fugly isn't the right word for it, at least not the one I'd use, but I know what you mean. Noisy?

Theres so much happening visually, all the time. Some of it looks punk rock, some like Hieronymus Bosch, some like an AI trained on Persona or SMT started to meltdown.

At times there appear to be textures on textures. Psychedelic baroque? But there's still clearly traditional JRPG underneath.