Oct 25, 2017
Back in August, we informed you about Metal Gear Solid 4 running on the PC via the Playstation 3 emulator RPCS3. And today, we are happy to report that the game is fully playable on a custom version of RPCS3, from start to finish.

Furthermore, the game's performance has been significantly improved. While there are still some drops below 60fps in some scenes, most of the game can now run with 60fps. For comparison, the original PS3 version is running at 30fps. Moreover, this custom version of RPCS3 fixes numerous bugs and glitches.

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, arguably the most unique action game there is, and Konami refuses to move it anywhere. Happy to see it's accessible on modern hardware.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Awesome, I was waiting for this to marathon through the series again. Not quite in time for Destra but I'll take it regardless.

I know RPCS3 used to have a bug in MGS4 where it was technically "playable" and completeable but it would crash randomly after running for more than 10-15 minutes, I guess this is what that fixed?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
That's crazy. I never would have thought that emulated PS3 games like MGS4 would be running this well in 2019. The game looks really good in the video.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Based on the footage I've seen, it's playable in the sense that you can do it, not in the sense you'll get console performance consistently without multiple crashes.

Give it another two months, and custom build or no, it'll probably be good.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually own MGS4 (unless I've lost it) but have never really played it (beyond the first couple hours) and no longer own a PS3.

I've always heard the game is a mess narratively, but is the gameplay on par with the rest of the MGS series? ie, mechanics, set pieces (infiltrating bases), etc?

Sorry, not trying to derail...

OP
OP
Poetic Injustice
Oct 25, 2017
I actually own MGS4 (unless I've lost it) but have never really played it (beyond the first couple hours) and no longer own a PS3.

I've always heard the game is a mess narratively, but is the gameplay on par with the rest of the MGS series? ie, mechanics, set pieces (infiltrating bases), etc?

In the first few acts, yes. But it's more focused on story than stealth gameplay in the later acts.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
That is insane, it's not perfect obviously but still the amount if progress in a few months is staggering.

I don't really follow RPCS3 though, what is a custom build? A separate executable that you have to download instead of a general emulator?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. And what if I skip the long cutscenes..... or is a lot of the gameplay just boss fights and different types of gameplay (eg, fixed vehicle segments) in later acts?
If you skip all the cutscenes, you might have like 3 hours of gameplay. Acts 1, 2 and 4 are the ones with most game time, but it's not that much. Act 3 and 5 are really really short outside of the story stuff.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Like I said before, this gives a great hope for PS5 fully emulated games.
The bugs in this version are creepy though, the Beauty and the beast bosses look like covered in lava. :p

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Maybe I'll finally finish it. My disc had a teensy tiny knick on it and it would always crash right at a point near then end when a boat was about to run over Raiden or something like that.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh cool. I have both a disc of this and a PS3, but I guess I'm kinda tempted to play it on my PC now. Neat.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
PS3 emulation is the main reason why I want to upgrade my PC right now (can't afford it though), I still have a PS3 and MGS4, Demon's Souls, etc but playing them at 60fps at high resolutions would be awesome. Oh, Resistance 3 must look so good...

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

I don't like it as much as the other MGS gameplay wise, but it has some cool moments for sure. Ignore the people that are saying it only has 3 or 4h of gameplay, it's obviously much more than that for a first playthrough.

Game has more than 8h of cutscenes.