RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
eqs-023.jpg

STUTTGART, Feb 22 (Reuters) - Mercedes-Benz on Thursday delayed its electrification goal by five years and assured investors it would keep sprucing up its combustion engine models, becoming the latest carmaker to flag a weaker-than-expected appetite for battery-powered cars.

The company now expects sales of electrified vehicles, including hybrids, to account for up to 50% of the total by 2030 - five years later than its forecast from 2021, when it aimed to hit the 50% milestone by 2025 with mostly all-electric cars.

While automakers and suppliers are betting big on future demand for electric vehicles, investment in capacity and technology development has outrun actual EV demand, prompting carmakers to readjust production plans.

CEO Ola Kaellenius cautioned towards the end of last year that even in Europe, sales would likely not be all-electric by 2030, with battery-powered cars currently making up just 11% of total sales, and 19% including hybrids.

Kaellenius said Mercedes-Benz wanted customers and investors to know it was well-positioned to carry on producing combustion engine cars and was ready to update the technology well into next decade.

Its current plans for updates mean "it is almost like we will have a new lineup in 2027 that will take us well into the 2030s," Kaellenius said.

Shares in the luxury carmaker were up 5.9% following the news, also supported by a 3 billion euro ($3.3 billion) share buyback programme unveiled late on Wednesday.

Slower economic growth, supply chain bottlenecks, and trade tensions between China and both the U.S. and European Union also weighed on Mercedes-Benz's outlook for 2024, the carmaker said, forecasting lower returns on sales across its car and van division.

First-quarter sales are likely to come below the previous year's level, it said, as component shortages - particularly of 48-volt systems supplied by Bosch - continued to hold back production.

Electrified vehicle sales, including of hybrids, were expected to remain at approximately 19-21% of the total, Mercedes-Benz said.

The luxury car maker reported an adjusted return on sales in its car division of 12.6% for 2023, in line with its forecast, as inflation and supply chain-related costs as well as component shortages ate into its profits.

For 2024, it said it expected a lower adjusted return of 10-12% for cars and 12-14% for vans, down from last year's 15.1%.

The company raised its average price by 2% to 74,200 euros, and increased spending on research and development for future technologies such as its MB.OS platform.

Group earnings before interest and taxes fell to 19.7 billion euros from 20.5 billion euros last year despite a 2% rise in revenue.

($1 = 0.9223 euros)

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think the switch was ever going to happen as fast as some expected. 2030 is not that far away in the car design world.

A smaller marque with only a few models like, say, Lancia or Chrysler could go all-in on PHEVs and BEVs pretty easily, but Mercedes-Benz needs to sell a lot of cars and they sell cars to a lot of people who aren't necessarily early adopters.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Need to keep calling them out - both in-person and online.

We must stigmatize fossil fuel polluters to the level of Nazis. If you are a CEO, lobbyist or lawyer representing them, you deserve nothing less than PR disaster. Same goes for the investors - on Wall Street and the big bank executives who fund fossil fuel projects.

TL;dr Basically do more of what Climate Defiance is doing.

(EDIT: Edited for specificity. I am absolutely against condemning everyday people. What matters is we go after the ones at the top)

Last edited:

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Can they not at least pivot to every single car being an HEV or PHEV, if not a full BEV? There's almost no downside, from the consumer's perspective, to HEVs/PHEVs and they're a good foot in the door for electrification.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
Can they not at least pivot to every single car being an HEV or PHEV, if not a full BEV? There's almost no downside, from the consumer's perspective, to HEVs/PHEVs and they're a good foot in the door for electrification.
Toyota released the Prius 2nd gen in 2006. Almost 20 years later, they are only at 1/3 hybrids.

Why? Because the advantages hybrids and PHEVs have over BEVs are charging infrastructure and battery raw materials. Hybrids and PHEVs take longer to retool the supply chain, factories, and designs because they are more complex. And for-profit companies expect investments into research, factories, and human expertise to pay off in the long-term, so going into hybrids will delay BEV rollout based on those business concerns--unless governments force the automakers to abandon those investments. EREVs would make more sense if they have difficulty sourcing batteries.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
They really should. For a premium brand they should really be aiming for higher than 50% fleet electrification (including hybrids) by 2030. Lexus is intending to not sell a single vehicle that isn't electrified in some way by that point.

I can kind of see why, say, Mitsubishi might decide that a Mitsubishi Mirage that is going to be sold in developing markets can't bear the additional cost of a hybrid system to improve efficiency. They should include it anyway, of course, and that's where the government should step in to "encourage" them to include it anyway, but I can see why they might decide building in that level of tech into such a cheap car is impossible. But Mercedes doesn't have that excuse. They don't sell cheap cars.

Lexus's most affordable car, which starts at thousands less than the base model of the comparable Mercedes, is hybrid-only today. Mercedes should really be able to be 100% electrified (including hybrids) six years from now. The problem is they wanted to basically leapfrog the hybrid era and go straight to all-electric with their EQ line, but they (and the entire market) are finding that BEVs are still sort of an early adopter thing and will likely be for years to come, and the lack of investment in hybrids for their roadmap is coming back to bite them.

Toyota got a lot of flack for being late to the EV party — I've even seen them called "EV haters," even though they currently offer about the same number of BEVs as many of their contemporaries — but their decision to focus on hybrids and plug-in hybrids in addition to EVs seems more right by the day.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Been calling this for close to a decade now; these full EV switchover dates have always been too aggressive for the market to actually support. This was inevitable, particularly for any brands selling product in NA and Asia. Europe's legislation is the most aggressive on this, but they are also the market where it will be the easiest to do. But it put European luxury automakers in a predicament where they would face financial catastrophe towards the end of this decade with all-EV lineups in North America. Something had to give.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Been calling this for close to a decade now; these full EV switchover dates have always been too aggressive for the market to actually support. This was inevitable, particularly for any brands selling product in NA and Asia. Europe's legislation is the most aggressive on this, but they are also the market where it will be the easiest to do. But it put European luxury automakers in a predicament where they would face financial catastrophe towards the end of this decade with all-EV lineups in North America. Something had to give.
To be fair, every effort to push efficiency in a range of industries is billed as "too aggressive." Always an excuse to delay innovation and keep the status quo when it comes to this stuff.

I get it's complicated and hard, but would have been nice if the auto industry didn't fight efficiency at nearly every opportunity. They complain about stricter standards for ICE cars too.

golanalb

Dec 30, 2020

We must stigmatize fossil fuel pollution to the level of Nazis. If you even hint at supporting the fossil industry, you deserve nothing less than PR disaster, if not losing your entire business.
This is a take for sure. Electrification is also extremely fucked, and is just a way to save the auto industry. It has nothing to do with saving the climate. Not to mention the significant hurdles in widespread adoption considering the majority of americans can't even afford one or even has a place to charge it, so are you calling the single mom of 2 driving an old Honda civic because that's literally all she can afford a Nazi?

Electric vehicles are a solution for wealthy single-family home owners who want to feel good about themselves. Until we design our cities in a sustainable way (think public transit, building up, not out, stop developing suburbs and sprawls, etc) and enact major policy changes against corporations for pollution, then nothing will change and its just a facade that the auto industry puts up to make people feel like they're making a difference.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, every effort to push efficiency in a range of industries is billed as "too aggressive." Always an excuse to delay innovation and keep the status quo when it comes to this stuff.

I get it's complicated and hard, but would have been nice if the auto industry didn't fight efficiency at nearly every opportunity. They complain about stricter standards for ICE cars too.

True, but EVs are a different kettle of fish compared to ICE engines. Raising CAFE standards had no real hard limit to it other than raising R&D/material and thus finished product costs (and it did). Doesn't mean it shouldn't have been done.

EVs have different issues. We don't have to like it, but North America in particular (a lot of the rest of the world too) was simply never going to have the infrastructure to support all new cars being EVs by 2030. We have failing electrical grids in several parts of the nation as it stands, and we're talking about adding an EV charging at night in almost every driveway. That would likely double the average household's electrical power draw at nighttime. It was never going to happen that soon. It's probably *trillions* of dollars in investment in power grids alone away, and the market will have to be dragged kicking and screaming until EVs are better in every way than ICE cars. To say nothing of all the other unique challenges EVs face in order to sell well. Yet all Volkswagens/Audis/MBs/BMWs/Volvos/Alfas/Minis/Porsches/etc sold in the US were going to be electric by then? This was going to happen one way or the other, hence how I could forecast it years ago.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
its crazy to see some people on this board that basically expect car companies to go out of business chasing electric cars when actual people aren't interested enough to keep them in business. you aren't gonna force people into making something mainstream and especially with how expensive that purchase is.

DuckSauce

Powered by Friendship™
Aug 19, 2023

We must stigmatize fossil fuel pollution to the level of Nazis. If you even hint at supporting the fossil industry, you deserve nothing less than PR disaster, if not losing your entire business.
Let me know when utes can do the same job while powered by a battery system as they can traditional combustion, then majority of regional/rural Australia will change. Plus actual decent distance before charging and further ease of rolling out microgrid systems is needed.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Every time a car manufacturer says they are backing out on EVs and focusing on ICE even more it makes me wonder why I should bother getting their current EVs when it may need new software support in the future. Their loss I guess.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Every time a car manufacturer says they are backing out on EVs and focusing on ICE even more it makes me wonder why I should bother getting their current EVs when it may need new software support in the future. Their loss I guess.
They're not backing out of EVs. A higher percentage of their fleet is electrified with each passing month.

They're just pushing their original target to reach 50% fleet electrification by 2025 back. Reaching that goal would have frankly required their first EVs to be massive, Tesla-level successes with the buying public, and it's been clear for a while now that they wouldn't reach that goal quite so soon. It'll be a lengthier transition period, and they'll need to keep making competitive ICE vehicles throughout.

Mercedes-Benz has some of the best in-car software in the industry. I'd certainly be more confident with MBUX than anything from most any other manufacturer.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
assume this means flex based on location. Eg some markets that are heavily ICE will remain that for now, but others like Europe may electrify sooner. I'd like to see more granular info on their plans. Eg UK is kicking in zero emission mandated this year which requires x% of sales to be EV or the manufacturer is fined. That % increases year on year.

They already have one of the better coverage of their lineup with most model classes have a full EV option

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Earth

Good luck with this schtick!

Calling people Nazis is surely the way to persuade them to demand and buy hybrids, let alone EVs.

I'm not even interested in an EV until the fast charging landscape improves, but I'll definitely lease another Prius.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
so are you calling the single mom of 2 driving an old Honda civic because that's literally all she can afford a Nazi?

Absolutely not. That kind of ire should be targeted exclusively toward the big movers and shakers of mass pollution.

I'm talking CEOs, lobbyists, the corporate lawyers and paid commentators.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
its crazy to see some people on this board that basically expect car companies to go out of business chasing electric cars when actual people aren't interested enough to keep them in business. you aren't gonna force people into making something mainstream and especially with how expensive that purchase is.

Well we're in this crazy position where we've waited so fucking long for any kind of wishy-washy committment to reducing emissions globally that governments need to act. Yet we're *also* worried about the poor megacorporations not making enough profit as we try to take big steps towards the changes we need to make.

Of course we don't want people out of work. But perhaps if governments acted sooner, it would be simpler to have a gradual transition. This is entirely on the governments of the world waiting too long and therefore requiring change to be more rapid.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Wow. That's something.

I mean... What's more extreme?

My posts?
Or fossil fuel bigwigs knowingly causing mass death?

You've all seen the news. Billions of dollars in property damage. Millions of lives lost or displaced.
If this was done by people with guns and tanks, it would called war crimes or terrorism. But since this is done by unprecedented extreme weather, we somehow can't directly connect it to the suits causing it?

Last edited:

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017

I love ERA, but this forum is often out of touch on a lot of issues. Unfortunately, electrification is something we really should have been doing by the early 2000s so that we could have decades to transition more effectively to EVs. That growing pain isn't going to result in widespread adoption anytime soon, and these overly aggressive guidelines will hurt more than help adoption.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Not positive reading as a person hoping for a more rapid transition to EV's. I do understand why though. EV's can be expensive, and in a market where the infrastructure isnt there, its hard to convince people. Add in the fact that a lot of people dont even believe in and/or care about climate change you get slow change. Tougher legislation and more subsidies is all we can hope for I guess.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I recently bought an electric car and I absolutely love it, but it's plain as day that the technology hasn't overcome the barriers required for mass adoption, which is unfortunate cos it means we're all that much more likely to die in a ruined ecosystem.

1. Price is way too high.
2. Public Charging infrastructure is a kind of shit, the gold standard being Tesla superchargers but the convenience is simply nowhere close to petrol stations.
3. Private charging, which is a huge win, is not available to anyone not living in a single family home.
4. The long term risks associated with batteries are just so unknown (cost, safety, etc).

Until those are resolved, even basic around town use cases like mine are just not gonna make sense for most people. People won't pay a huge premium for the theoretical long term benefits while dealing with the realities of today.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
That growing pain isn't going to result in widespread adoption anytime soon, and these overly aggressive guidelines will hurt more than help adoption.

I think it's worth noting – because there seems to be a bit of confusion, in your post and in others – that the mark M-B is backing away from is an internal goal, not guidelines imposed upon them by any regulators or governments (which is, of course, why they are free to push it back).

Many of the largest automakers have electrification goals that are more aggressive than the current government mandates. We'll see how well they meet their goals (spoiler alert: I'm expecting further push-backs from most of them).

The problem for the "legacy" automakers right now is that R&D resources are finite and developing EVs and ICE vehicles in tandem for a decade or more is very difficult. I'm not just talking about money, but just having enough engineers and designers to manage two parallel product lines. So a lot of the larger companies, like GM, looked at the success of Tesla and really really hoped they could have a fast transition to EVs and basically not have to develop next-generation ICE cars in addition to those EVs. It seems like it's not going to be that easy.

An interesting side note: if you take BEVs and PHEVs together (as vehicles that can drive reasonable distances on electric power alone), the company that sells the most of that category of vehicles in North America is obviously Tesla. But the company that sold the second most last year? Stellantis. Despite not currently offering a single fully-electric vehicle in North America! Their plug-in hybrid Pacificas and Jeeps have proven enormously popular, doubling in volume from 2022 to 2023. For all the talk about a potential consumer pull-back from EVs, it's important to remember that people really like driving on electric power – a lot of the masses just want to also have the backup option of an ICE engine.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This is a take for sure. Electrification is also extremely fucked, and is just a way to save the auto industry. It has nothing to do with saving the climate. Not to mention the significant hurdles in widespread adoption considering the majority of americans can't even afford one or even has a place to charge it, so are you calling the single mom of 2 driving an old Honda civic because that's literally all she can afford a Nazi?

Electric vehicles are a solution for wealthy single-family home owners who want to feel good about themselves. Until we design our cities in a sustainable way (think public transit, building up, not out, stop developing suburbs and sprawls, etc) and enact major policy changes against corporations for pollution, then nothing will change and its just a facade that the auto industry puts up to make people feel like they're making a difference.
This is where my feeling is. We tend to put more weight on the decisions of the consumer rather than the decisions of the producer. Average people do choose to buy cars, sure, but they aren't the ones choosing infrastructure which is designed around keeping them driving.

I don't even own a car, and I specifically factored in that I don't want to own a car when I chose where I was moving to. But if I look at job postings, they frequently list owning a vehicle under requirements on the expectation that I can't travel without having my own car. Despite my efforts, I'm being explicitly told that I need to drive.

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
You've all seen the news. Billions of dollars in property damage. Millions of lives lost or displaced.
If this was done by people with guns and tanks, it would called war crimes or terrorism.

Well, based on the news, the US would send Mercedes billions of dollars of petrol and ICE components, give the Mercedes CEO a big hug, and tell them to stick with petrol.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

We must stigmatize fossil fuel polluters to the level of Nazis. If you are a CEO, lobbyist or lawyer representing them, you deserve nothing less than PR disaster. Same goes for the investors - on Wall Street and the big bank executives who fund fossil fuel projects.

TL;dr Basically do more of what Climate Defiance is doing.

(EDIT: Edited for specificity. I am absolutely against condemning everyday people. What matters is we go after the ones at the top)
I'd rather point and laugh at people like you

Chippewa Barr