• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
Ok it might be over-dramatic to call this a return of the Online Pass, but it's setting up a bad precedent.

A bad precedent that is a Switch only problem.

Well, I could say the same for you. We all knew it's a late port (most likely because they didn't believe in the console and I don't blame them) before it was announced anyway so that's pretty much irrelevant.
There's a pretty big difference between not being confident in a console to put your newest games on there and not being confident enough to put a glorified ROM dump of a game series with heavy Nintendo ties, to the point where the main character was a highlight of the most recent Smash Bros. One is sensible, the other is outright moronic.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just confused as to why 2 was 5GB to begin with when Megaman 1-10 combined aren't even 2GB originally. What did they do that added several gigs of space to what are essentially SNES/PS1 ROMs?

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This definitely isn't ideal for folks that want physical, but at least we'll have the option to go digital. Kind of wish they went with a $60 price tag and at least gave us two carts for physical.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nooooo the 8gb cards are closer to a blu-ray if you're selling at $60. switch games at the lower side are closer to standard ps vita/3ds pricing, hence the $40 price point on a lot of titles. i don't know how people are making more than a few bucks on those $30 games.
Because the company doing the $30 games is Nicalis, and they are releasing games with tiny file sizes like Cave Story and The End is Nigh at $30. Bigger games that require a bigger cart, like Binding of Isaac and Wonderboy, are priced at $40 from them

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
nooooo the 8gb cards are closer to a blu-ray if you're selling at $60. switch games at the lower side are closer to standard ps vita/3ds pricing, hence the $40 price point on a lot of titles. i don't know how people are making more than a few bucks on those $30 games.

Why does the selling price make any difference to the initial cost of the cartridge / blu ray?

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
NBA 2k18 came out before DOOM.

Then maybe it's Bethesda or Nintendo acknowledging that no self respecting person bought Doom for the awful PVP? lol. In all seriousness though it could be that Doom requires a download in order to use an online only function whereas most games with these banners require a download for single player content?

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Feel bad for any physical buyers about this trend.

Thankfully I'm all digital. Still, not sure if I'm feeling 40$. Maybe I'll buy the first pack.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Because the company doing the $30 games is Nicalis, and they are releasing games with tiny file sizes like Cave Story and The End is Nigh at $30. Bigger games that require a bigger cart, like Binding of Isaac and Wonderboy, are priced at $40 from them

Do we actually know what size carts these games use? Would be curious if they are actually 1gb or in fact a minimum of 8gb. Considering the absolute vast majority ship on 8gb/16gb the economies of scale must mean there is going to be very little difference cost wise between 8GB cards and anything smaller

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
10vKgzS.png

are you kidding me

Are you telling me they couldn't fit all games in a single card?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Plenty people want it physical.
You're only getting half the game physical though. My point isn't whether somebody would want a physical version of the games or not, it's why they'd want half a physical version of the games.
I want to share the game with my wife.
It's only possible if the game is on a cart due to Nintendo being in the stone age when it comes to digital.
So you get more than one digital download code in the box?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User warned: repeatedly baiting and antagonizing another member
Well, I could say the same for you. We all knew it's a late port (most likely because they didn't believe in the console and I don't blame them) before it was announced anyway so that's pretty much irrelevant.

No you can't say the same for me because I haven't been banned multiple times for inflammatory/insulting post about Capcom's games.

But I digress.

I stand by what I said. And the release date of this collection is hardly irrelevant, but I feel like I'm going to get nowhere so let's just drop this here.

Faithless

Oct 27, 2017
"Free cleaning cloth included to wipe your tears when you will notice the download code"

What a JOKE.
F*** Y** CAPCOM !

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Ok it might be over-dramatic to call this a return of the Online Pass, but it's setting up a bad precedent.

A bad precedent that is a Switch only problem.

A game like L.A. Noire or Doom that only fully functions when a portion of the game is downloaded to internal memory of the SD card isn't ideal, but is something I'd accept. I can sell, trade, or loan out the game and anyone who receives it has access to the entire package.

A game including a one-time consumable key for the "second portion" of the game is inexcusable. (See: Bayonetta 1+2, Resident Evil Revelations 1+2) I refuse to buy anything with that setup. Once you use that code it's "stuck" to you forever, immediately ruining the resale or trade value of the game in the future. No thanks.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I predicted this shit cause it's the exact same thing they did with the Revelations collection. Expect the same with the MMX collection
Lol. Same here. Except I thought that they would put Legacy Collection 1 as a download code and Legacy Collection 2 as a cartridge. Capcom gonna Capcom. Whatever, I'm getting it digital anyway.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not looking forward to all the third-party games coming this year that will inevitably require a download and have a huge ugly white banner on the box art.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
2 is probably a download to cut cart costs. Maybe? I guess. I dunno.

But regardless, the definitive collection is here! Awesome!

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do we actually know what size carts these games use? Would be curious if they are actually 1gb or in fact a minimum of 8gb. Considering the absolute vast majority ship on 8gb/16gb the economies of scale must mean there is going to be very little difference cost wise between 8GB cards and anything smaller
You can just compare the file sizes from the eShop download and that gives you a good idea. No company will use a bigger card when they only need a smaller onr, because the small ones are cheaper

julian

Oct 27, 2017
So it's $5 more to get a cart that only contains one of the collections? Honestly, what the fuck?

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I love physical as much as the next guy but I sincerely do not understand why everyone is so upset ..

Deleted member 62

Why does the selling price make any difference to the initial cost of the cartridge / blu ray?

Costs of blu-ray+licensing fee typically depend on the retail price (Nintendo used this structure also on Wii/Wii U). For Switch (and also DS/3DS) these costs solely depend on the size of the game card.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
So buying them digital is 35 bucks, but buying them physical is 40 and you still have to download the bigger game.

"Cart price" is being abused at this point, for publisher greed.

Tsukinopio

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
I'm not looking forward to all the third-party games coming this year that will inevitably require a download and have a huge ugly white banner on the box art.
Dark Souls doesn't. So far the only publishers to embrace this trend are Take-Two and Capcom. Every other third-party release has been borderless, including games that required a download like DOOM.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
You're only getting half the game physical though. My point isn't whether somebody would want a physical version of the games or not, it's why they'd want half a physical version of the games.

So you get more than one digital download code in the box?

I misread your comment, I thought you meant why I wanted it physically in the first place!

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Very much a cost saving measure. They can put Collection 1 on a 1GB cart + code, which is going to be cheaper than an 8GB cart for both, plus getting someone to program a splash screen.

I've already got both on PS4, so I'll be passing on this at full price. Might pick up when it's under $20.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls doesn't. So far the only publishers to embrace this trend are Take-Two and Capcom. Every other third-party release has been borderless, including games that required a download like DOOM.

Take-Two has gigantic AAA games. Capcom's 400MB ROM dump of MMC1 is not taking up most of whatever card its on.

1.) They are cheapening out on the cart.
2.) They are cheapening out on a splash-screen to let you be inside of a single cart for both games.

This way they have to do zero extra work for their late-ass port.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
You can just compare the file sizes from the eShop download and that gives you a good idea. No company will use a bigger card when they only need a smaller onr, because the small ones are cheaper

My point is a fraction of games use 1gb cards whereas they will be mass producing 8gb / 16gb cards due to the vast majority of retail games using these sizes which will bring down their cost relative to the niche 1gb cards effectively making any cost savings dwindle to the point of being non-existent

Deleted member 62

My point is a fraction of games use 1gb cards whereas they will be mass producing 8gb / 16gb cards due to the vast majority of retail games using these sizes which will bring down their cost relative to the niche 1gb cards effectively making any cost savings dwindle to the point of being non-existent

Publishers are paying the prices that Nintendo is charging, not the actual production costs.