Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Dude could you put more effort into your OP? You don't even say what game this refers to. And they're not even called Team Rainbow. COPY THIS INTO THE OP YOU FOOL:

A new trailer dropped today highlighting more changes and features for this redux of last year's Sun and Moon. Team Rocket returns as Rainbow Rocket along with other villains throughout the series history. In addition, the Battle Agency allows you to rent powerful Pokemon to battle and earn items. Finally, you can capture old legendaries through ultra wormholes.

DNoRERvUIAAIZLX.jpg

boss_01.jpg

n Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon, the greatest villainous organization in history appears! It's Team Rainbow Rocket—made up of the bosses from past titles in the Pokémon series!

The boss of Team Rainbow Rocket is none other than Giovanni, who was also the boss of the villainous organization known as Team Rocket in Pokémon Red and Pokémon Blue, the first games in the Pokémon series.

But that's not the worst of it—Giovanni has gathered into one group the bosses from the various past games in the Pokémon series! You and your allies will have to square off against what might be your greatest challenge yet!

What in the world could Giovanni and his allies be after, appearing in the Alola region so suddenly...?
imgL_01.jpg

The Battle Agency is a new facility where you can enjoy battling by easily renting powerful Pokémon.

When you don your sunglasses and become an "agent" at this facility, you can take part in Single Battles using rental Pokémon. You'll have three such Pokémon to command as you try to defeat the three Pokémon in your opponent's team. Try to win your way to being the best of all the agents!

The Pokémon you can rent for these battles will increase as you mingle with other players around you or over the internet. Connect with formidable players, and you'll be able to rent powerful Pokémon. So communicate with lots of other players, choose the Pokémon you like best from those available to rent, and aim to become the top agent!

Collect Totem Stickers!
With Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon,you'll be able to collect stickers called Totem Stickers all around Alola. Totem Stickers glitter and shine in the field.

If you collect these Totem Stickers, you'll be able to get a huge totem-like Pokémon for your team, based on how many stickers you've collected. It'll surely shock your opponents to see you using these oversized totem-like Pokémon in battle!

The totem-like Pokémon that you can get as allies can differ based on whether you're playing Pokémon Ultra Sun or Pokémon Ultra Moon.For example, you can get Lurantis as an ally in Pokémon Ultra Sun or Salazzle in Pokémon Ultra Moon.Search every corner of the Alola region and collect masses of Totem Stickers!
DNoREW1VQAAKIYe.jpg

The Japanese site also says what legendaries are in what game.
http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/usum/legacy/171102_02.html?i001=news
67c77820c5313a9edd83eff1264336a0a116d90b.jpg

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Mewtwo looks tiny compared to Giovanni lol

I like that they use the older designs. Maxie is one of my favs,
What's this mean for the Universes. I remember discussion that there were other Universes and that the one in Ruby/Sapphire are not the same as ORAS? So this Giovanni isn't the same as the one defeated by Red?

Lugia

Oct 27, 2017
I knew these games would be awesome, but this is on a whole other level.

Gamefreak you got me in!

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I find it hilarious that in terms of legendary version exclusives, Ultra sun gets Heatran and Ultra Moon as it's equivalent gets... Regigigas. One gets a hyper competitive pokemon and the other gets dead weight lol

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
What's this mean for the Universes. I remember discussion that there were other Universes and that the one in Ruby/Sapphire are not the same as ORAS? So this Giovanni isn't the same as the one defeated by Red?

Correct. These are villains that won. This doesn't change any of the other villains very much, but this has great implications for Giovanni.

After losing to Red, Giovanni retreated to solitude to reflect on what it means to be a leader. By Generation II, he believed that strength comes from an organization of people. He wanted to reunite with Team Rocket and answer their call for his leadership, but lost again to Ethan and Lyra. He determined he was not capable of leadership and took it as a sign to let his organization disband once and for all.

Giovanni has a lot more character development than other villains. There's a lot more to talk about than just this. But the point is that Giovanni would not continue being a villain in the wake of his canonical defeats. He has somewhat of a dark redemption arc where he cedes power and abandons criminal activity.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
The Japanese trailer has some extra footage.

Also it's worth noting that the designs for Archie and Maxwell are from the original RS and not their ORAS remakes. So they are definitely not from the XYverse.

Zinnia haters BTFO

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
He was handed a piece of humble pie after losing to Red & moved on with his life, disbanding Team Rocket. This development was further cemented with HG/SS. Of course, if this is an alternate timeline version of Giovanni where he actually did beat Red like some people here suggested, I'd be willing to go along with this. The idea in of itself sounds interesting, & US/UM as a whole is shaping up to be a great send-off for Pokémon on the 3DS. It's just the Giovanni thing that's basically shitting in my otherwise-nice-looking meal.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I had no interest in picking either of these up after being kinda disappointed in Sun and Moon, but I actually got chills at that remix in the beginning. Ya got me back in Pokemon

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
LOL is that Wicke holding malasadas? GF knows what they doing.

Anyways, interesting that they're using the old Maxie and Archie designs for this. Even if I prefer the new designs this sells the "alt universe" idea more (and they look better here than in RS proper imo)

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
If these are the villains that won wouldn't Cyrus have destroyed the universe by now? Did he destroy his universe and get kicked out of his distortion world and end up in the USUM verse? Giovanni is like the only sensible villain around.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Sooooo what's the point of the whole Rainbow part of Team Rocket? Does the name change serve any purpose?

Take into account that since Gen 6, Pokémon games (including the Gen 3 remakes) are happening on a parallel dimension where Mega Evolution is a thing and there are hints throughout the games that there's a way to cross from one to another, so maybe it has something to do?
Why do people take a single line of dialogue from a character who spouts nonsense seriously? That line was clearly just a little nod to the audience to acknowledge that there aren't megas in the original games.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I find it hilarious that in terms of legendary version exclusives, Ultra sun gets Heatran and Ultra Moon as it's equivalent gets... Regigigas. One gets a hyper competitive pokemon and the other gets dead weight lol

yeah they split up the beasts for what ever reason, i don't understand why they did that

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Team Rocket? Giovanni? MewTwo? Remixed Original Battle Music?

Fuck yes! UltraSun will be the first Pokémon game I buy since HeartGold.

frankabus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dude could you put more effort into your OP? You don't even say what game this refers to. And they're not even called Team Rainbow. COPY THIS INTO THE OP YOU FOOL:

A new trailer dropped today highlighting more changes and features for this redux of last year's Sun and Moon. Team Rocket returns as Rainbow Rocket along with other villains throughout the series history. In addition, the Battle Agency allows you to rent powerful Pokemon to battle and earn items. Finally, you can capture old legendaries through ultra wormholes.

DNoRERvUIAAIZLX.jpg

boss_01.jpg

imgL_01.jpg

DNoREW1VQAAKIYe.jpg

The Japanese site also says what legendaries are in what game.
http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/usum/legacy/171102_02.html?i001=news
67c77820c5313a9edd83eff1264336a0a116d90b.jpg
Nooo the legendaries are split, GAHH

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Battle Agency is really cool.

Also, what the hell is Faba doing in the villain line-up instead of Lusamine or mah boi Guzma?

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I was sleeping on this because it looked like a boring update. But 20 years of villainy with Giovanni using Mewtwo, you should've led with that Game Freak.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
(Copied from the other thread)

According to the site, most of the major legendaries are version exclusive. I think similar to how ORAS did it. Based on the list, I may be on the Ultra Moon train after all. I'm still not a fan of the time shift, but it might be interesting playing something different from Sun.

Battle Agency looks very interesting. The rental facility was always my favorite in Platinum, so I hope this can come close.

And of course, villainy hype. Hopefully that whole event is more than just a single dungeon.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If these are the villains that won wouldn't Cyrus have destroyed the universe by now? Did he destroy his universe and get kicked out of his distortion world and end up in the USUM verse? Giovanni is like the only sensible villain around.
It could be a Zen-Oh situation with Cyrus (utterly destroyed his universe so he jumps to another one).

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
I never really got around to playing the original sun and moon even though I wanted to. Should I go ahead and skip sun/moon or do you think I need to play sun/moon first?

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was handed a piece of humble pie after losing to Red & moved on with his life, disbanding Team Rocket. This development was further cemented with HG/SS. Of course, if this is an alternate timeline version of Giovanni where he actually did beat Red like some people here suggested, I'd be willing to go along with this. The idea in of itself sounds interesting, & US/UM as a whole is shaping up to be a great send-off for Pokémon on the 3DS. It's just the Giovanni thing that's basically shitting in my otherwise-nice-looking meal.

No, the games never definitively say he quits the villain life after losing to Red + Gold. He's disillusioned after losing to some other kid, but that doesn't mean he won't try to take over the world again. People with that much ambition don't just give up forever.

LuckyChamCham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Le sigh, still not as hyped for this as I should be..oh well, will get anyway :p

edit: Glad to see my main man Ghetsis though! :D

OP
OP
PadWarrior

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
(Copied from the other thread)

According to the site, most of the major legendaries are version exclusive. I think similar to how ORAS did it. Based on the list, I may be on the Ultra Moon train after all. I'm still not a fan of the time shift, but it might be interesting playing something different from Sun.

Battle Agency looks very interesting. The rental facility was always my favorite in Platinum, so I hope this can come close.

And of course, villainy hype. Hopefully that whole event is more than just a single dungeon.
Which version is mewtwo in?

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I never really got around to playing the original sun and moon even though I wanted to. Should I go ahead and skip sun/moon or do you think I need to play sun/moon first?

I asked this in a different USun/UMoon thread and everybody told me they were pretty sure it'd be just fine to jump in! Alternate dimension and all that jazz.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Rocket Rainbow is hype. Seeing Giovanni with Mewtwo is super cool. Interesting that Maxie and Archie use their RSE designs, rather than their ORAS redesigns. Presumably these incarnations come from non-Mega timelines? Guessing this is the post-game story episode that interviews have alluded to.

The Battle Agency looks neat. I was hoping for the full Battle Frontier, but the Factory was always the most interesting facility, so expanding upon that alone is acceptable to me. I still kinda hope for something like the PWT too though, but I suspect that's not gonna happen.

Totem stickers are... cool, I guess? I don't really care about them, but I'm sure some people will enjoy them.

Legendaries are, as expected, just Hoopa Rings v2. Why does US get Heatran though while UM is stuck with Regigigas? Feels like UM really should have got Cresselia. Oh well.

More Island Scans mons are cool I guess, but unless you can now get their HAs through it, I have little reason to care.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Rocket Rainbow is hype. Seeing Giovanni with Mewtwo is super cool. Interesting that Maxie and Archie use their RSE designs, rather than their ORAS redesigns. Presumably these incarnations come from non-Mega timelines? Guessing this is the post-game story episode that interviews have alluded to.

The Battle Agency looks neat. I was hoping for the full Battle Frontier, but the Factory was always the most interesting facility, so expanding upon that alone is acceptable to me. I still kinda hope for something like the PWT too though, but I suspect that's not gonna happen.

Totem stickers are... cool, I guess? I don't really care about them, but I'm sure some people will enjoy them.

Legendaries are, as expected, just Hoopa Rings v2. Why does US get Heatran though while UM is stuck with Regigigas? Feels like UM really should have got Cresselia. Oh well.

More Island Scans mons are cool I guess, but unless you can now get their HAs through it, I have little reason to care.

There are infinite timelines, don't think they're from RSE if they actually accomplished their goals

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Please let me draft my opponents pokes in Battle Agency. GAMEFREAK PLS.

Also I didn't see Manaphy in that legendary pokemon image.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The legendaries in this don't include Jirachi, goddamn it!

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I am pretty excited, but I hope they don't retcon Lusamine to majke her look good.
And the genies are back :|