Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
www.businessinsider.com

McConnell backed stimulus checks after fears for Georgia election: NYT

In a private call, McConnell reportedly said the lack of direct stimulus payments to Americans was affecting GOP Senate campaigns in Georgia.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell's decision to support $600 payments to Americans as part of a new round of federal coronavirus relief was motivated by fears for the Senate runoff elections in Georgia, according to The New York Times.

Two sources told the paper McConnell's U-turn on supporting the one-off payments came after hearing that Republican opposition to more stimulus checks was hurting the campaigns in Georgia.

Times sources said McConnell warned fellow GOP lawmakers that Sens. Kelly Loeffler and David Perdue were "getting hammered" over the payments.

The Times reported that in a private phone conversation Wednesday, McConnell said backing another round of direct payments to Americans could help.
Negotiations on the relief package are going down to the wire, with a Friday deadline looming to avert a government shutdown. This could be extended.

Negotiators had hoped to strike a deal after two in-person meetings on Wednesday, but they left that night without a final agreement.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, of course he did. No one really believed he all of a sudden grew a heart and a soul. If he did, it would have been more than a meager $600.

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
Someone tell mitch no one will vote for their insider traders, er, candidates unless they implement universal basic income...

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah $600 is something but not nearly enough and it's upsetting it's a step down from 1200. My only hope is Dems take Senate and at least 1 more package along the lines of the first (ideally more) passes

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
The train's already left the station. Way too little, way too late. Had the GOP been in support of supporting the American people throughout the pandemic, people would care. A piddling $600 in December isn't going to move the needle.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I was told Pelosi was the one blocking the checks.

And yeah, that's pretty bad. Things are getting bad again - so the move shouldn't be a lower amount. Same for UI. But at the same time, the electorate will probably reward the GOP for it anyway. Even though they've been opposed to it for months.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I love that after all this time suddenly there's some leverage over this turtle fuck.

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, if the democrats had any kind of messaging apparatus, they could begin crucifying the GOP with this. First they didn't want anything, and now they want a meager 600? Would you rather get 600 or more?

Unfortunately, I have very little faith in the (nearly nonexistant) DNC messaging apparatus

chimpychi

Oct 27, 2017
For being the richest country in the world, we sure love to spit on those that need help. I never got the first $1200 so I'm not even expecting this one.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The train's already left the station. Way too little, way too late. Had the GOP been in support of supporting the American people throughout the pandemic, people would care. A piddling $600 in December isn't going to move the needle.
considering the only needle that matters at this point is in georgia, it might.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I mean, him blocking a stimulus is probably what ultimately cost Trump the election, so it makes sense.

Here's hoping that a paltry $600 offends Liberals and Conservatives alike (but for opposite reasons, obviously) and costs the GOP Georgia, too.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
Lol that's not even enough for a month of rent for a lot of middle and lower income americans. That is HALF what we got before.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Hmmm....$600. So in Republican math that should hold down poor* households for about 3.5 years. Now stop complaining!

*Being very liberal with the word poor here. Many of those households have refrigerators.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
considering the only needle that matters at this point is in georgia, it might.
The people of Georgia (just like everywhere else) are going to see this one-time $600 payment like

tenor.gif

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Well, then keep pushing. $600 is a fucking joke. This bill needs to have a $1,200 check and enhanced UI of at least $400 with backpay.

This ghoul does not care about a single person in the country.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine that... fucking over the people who have voting power might actually bite you in the ass...

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the checks are whatever. The bigger fear for me is they include the checks for political points but get it at the expense of unemployment insurance and the Dems end up in a lose-lose where GOP looks good enough to win Georgia but unemployment benefits get whittled down to an unacceptable amount

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Will people who are still being claimed as "dependents" on their parent's taxes get fuckall this time around, or have they changed that?

I didn't get the $1,600 because of that.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
This man is so fucking horrible man. Dude's like the epitome of trash. Fuck this asshole. You better at least give people $1200 again and even still that ain't enough. People are losing their homes because of this shit.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Here in Oklahoma, one of the cheapest states in the country, this would not cover a single months rent for your typical 1000 sqft house. Is it really going to convince people Republicans give a fuck? It's honestly just God damned insulting.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
If Dems lose Georgia then the Senate's only job for the next 2 years will be to block everything. They want to see an economy collapse to help them in 2022.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's maybe 1 rent payment in the cheaper areas of the country. Some people might get to stave off eviction for one more month. Thanks, Mitch.