• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Imagine saying this to all slurs, sure "Bitch" might be a "low level standard" curse to you because you're not a woman, you're using the same arguments as backwards people, "it's just a word, it's your fault for getting offended", pretty the more back in time you go the more people used to defend other words like this, would you say this about the word "Fag"? how about the word "Kike"? "Beaner"? how about the N-Word?

"Oh but you can't compare the N-word to bitch!" you say, well yeah,it's true very few words can hurt as much as the N-word, but the point is, at some point people were "okay" with it, we now don't tolerate that shit, if a large group of women is saying "that word is hurtful to us, demeaning and perpetuates a culture of misogyny!" your reaction shouldn't be "well, fuck you, it's your fault for being offended!",just because you personally don't feel offended by it.

You either apply the same standard to all words or you accept context is relevant. And I say nigga all the time.

You dodged my original question about it.

Now we're in "no but you" territory...

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is my 3 year old sons best friend. He has like 8 best friends at nursery. This is dumb as fuck.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
User Banned (3 Days): Downplaying gendered slurs.
How would you feel when white people say it (im assuming you're not white)? how do you feel about this? or this?

No worse than I feel about anything else when I read about racism. Bitch has NEVER been the slur some of ya'll are trying to make it now. FOH. Is the word 'fuck' ok? Or am I now advocating sexual violence....?

Some of ya'll....

Naw we're in "blatant hypocrisy" territory.

Either namby-pamby is ok to use or it's not. We both know the answer. Which makes you the hypocrite in this situation.

People trying to eat Mammoth alive for saying Bitch are why Trump was elected.

Also, I submit cracker as an offensive word. The correct term is Saltine-American, thank you.

Happens anytime I don't adopt the prevailing white liberal/progressive ideology. I don't take it personal.

Ganhyun

Oct 26, 2017
People trying to eat Mammoth alive for saying Bitch are why Trump was elected.

Also, I submit cracker as an offensive word. The correct term is Saltine-American, thank you.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
No worse than I feel about anything else when I read about racism. Bitch has NEVER been the slur some of ya'll are trying to make it now. FOH. Is the word 'fuck' ok? Or am I now advocating sexual violence....?

Some of ya'll....

Im pointing out that a man saying "the word bitch doesn't offend me" is akin to a straight guy saying "the word fag doesn't offend me" or the countless white people who think they should be allowed to say the N-word, of course y'all feel like that, that word is not about you!

Bitch might not have the same connotations as the big league slurs, and nothing can compare to a slur so strong we call it "the N-word", but it's still a mysoginstic insult, just saying that if women are asking for people to at least decrease the usage of the word in media, your answer shouldn't be "It's your fault for being offended".

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
what's with this forum and its obsession about bitch today.

No fucking idea. Been saying it on the old forum no problem. Saying it here, no problem. Same context. Never in the context of someone's gender. But suddenly it's "Burn the heretic". Mofos gentrifying vocabulary....
giphy.gif

Im pointing out that a man saying "the word bitch doesn't offend me" is akin to a straight guy saying "the word fag doesn't offend me" or the countless white people who think they should be allowed to say the N-word, of course y'all feel like that, that word is not about you!

Bitch might not have the same connotations as the big league slurs, and nothing can compare to a slur so strong we call it "the N-word", but it's still a mysoginstic insult, just saying that if women are asking for people to at least decrease the usage of the word in media, your answer shouldn't be "It's your fault for being offended".

So now I can't use "aint that a bitch" or when I stub my toe "sonofabitch!" because I have a penis? C'mon. No one I know thinks like that. I live in NY. They're all democrats. Mostly liberal. No one is gonna gasp if someone uses that word if it's not in the context of a man trying to scream it at a woman. Or as an insult to describe a woman. Trying to shoehorn the outrage for that into outrage if the word is used AT ALL is some college humor sketch type silliness. No where else on earth, in physical reality does that rule apply. Time to come out the bubble dude.

Pretty obvious the context wasn't on some sexist shit.

Last edited:

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
what's with this forum and its obsession about bitch today.

I think it's mostly the shock of seeing members people assumed were really progressive displaying cognitive dissonance with usage of the word. It's like they can see the point with words they agree are offensive, but they either can't connect the dots or flat out refuse to acknowledge the other members are probably correct about the word bitch. So people that think they are feigning ignorance keep making futile attempts to show them the path to logical consistency. It's been fascinating to watch the last couple days.

raterpillar

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Not pretending a damn thing. Just pointing out I don't have that type of worldview with my vocabulary. The fuck, lol. I'm not at work. I don't have to speak job interview for your delicate ass sensibilities. One of the defining characteristic of any curse word is it can be traced back to horrible shit. So when you say rooted? Words have roots. No shit. Was that the context I used it in with specific intent to disrespect women? Was I trying to do some low key insult to women? FOH.

This 'best-friends' rule is some namby-pamby bullshit and way past what should be considered reasonable. Now, when I use the word 'namby-pamby' am I contributing to homophobia or gender stereotypes? After all the definition:

lacking energy, strength, or courage; feeble or effeminate in behavior or expression.
"these weren't namby-pamby fights, but brutal affairs where heads hit the sidewalk"
synonyms: weak, feeble, spineless, effeminate, effete; More

200.gif

Protip: The answer is no. Context matters.
That definition is wrong, or at least non-standard. If you can find another dictionary that uses 'effeminate' as a synonym, I'll change my mind - but you won't. The root of the word doesn't have a thing to do with that, certainly.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, best friends are a bizarre social construct anyway. I have several best friends in different circumstances. Like a work best friend, an undergrad major best friend, a party best friend, a nerdy best friend, etc.

I don't mind teaching kids that friendship is flexible.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Completely disagree based on reading the words from some of the people on this forum.

Best friends leave yo

And then

It's just no good anymore since they went away
Now they'll spend their time just making rhymes of yesterday

As they say it's better to never have best friended at all than best friended and lost. That's just science.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, best friends are a bizarre social construct anyway. I have several best friends in different circumstances. Like a work best friend, an undergrad major best friend, a party best friend, a nerdy best friend, etc.

I don't mind teaching kids that friendship is flexible.

Tho in the real world there is always people you'll connect with more than others, it's not that you are forced to fill the designated "spot" for your best friend, having best friends it's something that just organically happens as you develop socially.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I also think that teaching the idea of "best friends" might make kids feel like they're cemented to their friendships, you know? It's totally OK to change friends as you age.

I think that "best friends = concrete" thinking is why adults have difficulty making friends. You see threads about it all the time on ResetEra.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That definition is wrong, or at least non-standard. If you can find another dictionary that uses 'effeminate' as a synonym, I'll change my mind - but you won't. The root of the word doesn't have a thing to do with that, certainly.
even if his definition isn't wrong, why use "oh yeah well this is problematic too" as a gotcha? what a clean way to dunk on yourself by demonstrating that plenty of day-to-day things that we do could use reflection.

Dicer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You are all my best friends, but I also hurt the ones I care about...so fuck all y'all!

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I seriously doubt the term "best friend" is what leads to cliques.

Best isn't objective anyway, you might think John is your best friend but that's a pretty bias POV no? What if I think Joan is your best friend, shouldn't I have a say, shouldn't we all, shouldn't science? It's pretty Objectivist, anti-science stance to believe in the individual that deeply. Best is a social construct, immeasurable and ultimately meaningless, we need to tear it down, maybe you can change my mind about having friends at all though, I'm willing to listen, but you'll have to explain how we can keep Friends out of the reach of impressionable minds... and Sonic.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
I also think that teaching the idea of "best friends" might make kids feel like they're cemented to their friendships, you know? It's totally OK to change friends as you age.

I think that "best friends = concrete" thinking is why adults have difficulty making friends. You see threads about it all the time on ResetEra.

I'm wholly confused by this. I don't follow the reasoning at all, not the link between best and permanence since opinions are malleable and relationships change, nor the statement that having a best friend makes it harder to make other friends outside of maybe not spending time seeking new friends because you have existing ones. But that last part isn't a bad thing.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The anti-PC won't jump to attack this because the more vocal ones don't have close friends and would benefit from this sort of thing.

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is what happens when you try to police things people can and can't be saying.

This is the end goal.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Alright, did the left go so far left that they're now right wing snowflakes?

First of all, actually imagine the situation as reality... It's not like kids are being isolated and slapped around for saying 'best friend'. Get real.

Also, it's one preschool in the nation.

No one is taking away your freedom here, and I'm 99% certain these children aren't being punished in any way. Very likely this is being misconstrued by an overreactive parent.

How nefarious is it really for a caretaker to say to a group of kids 'we encourage not to say 'best friend' but for everyone to make friends and treat each other equally.'? It's a positive message, and exactly the type of thing one would expect to hear where groups of children are being taught simple social skills for a couple hours each day.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This is what happens when you try to police things people can and can't be saying.

This is the end goal.

You nailed it bud, when folks say don't invite Nazis to speak at Universities they are doing so because they want to end best friends forever

Actually in Canada we've already done it, saying Best Friend here is rightfully seen as hate speech against the friendless and is punishable by 6 months in isolation, to teach you what it is like to have no friends. We started with nazis because no one will speak up for the Nazis and now we've achieved the end goal.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
You nailed it bud, when folks say don't invite Nazis to speak at Universities they are doing so because they want to end best friends forever

Actually in Canada we've already done it, saying Best Friend here is rightfully seen as hate speech against the friendless and is punishable by 6 months in isolation, to teach you what it is like to have no friends. We started with nazis because no one will speak up for the Nazis and now we've achieved the end goal.

it's true! we didn't tolerate hate speech against muslims, and now (insert generic alt-right apocalypse scenario)!!!!

oh gooooosssshhhh!!!

Slash Ess, to the max!

for real, I think banning "best friend," is ridiculous, but Come On with that crap,

..."this is the end goal," oh god.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Over zealous protection of young kids and teenagers will end up catastrophically for them when they enter the real word.

It's like banning a kid from going outside the house to protect him from germs and bacteria. And then when he does, his underdeveloped immune system is useless and the tiniest infection can kill him.

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The "end goal" is putting unqualified idiots in control of what we can and cannot say with the justification being that they're protecting people. Those people usually do not wish or need to be protected. The end goal is pointless shit much like this that makes no real sense and turns people, usually children, into emotionless robots incapable of utilizing free thought and common sense.