modiz

Oct 8, 2018

View: https://x.com/jamesstevenson/status/1702699579291074778?s=61&t=L0bPXDdqdqQM-JyYURxVeQ

www.ign.com

Insomniac Answers All of Our Questions About Spider-Man 2's PS5 Tech - IGN

IGN sat down with members of Insomniac Games that worked on Spider-Man 2, this interview discusses the game from a technical perspective and what things did Insomniac do differently for its third entry in the Spider-Man series.
So back in Miles, you were talking about a temporal solution that allowed you to offer different graphical options. So how have the graphical options been? You sort of touched on it a little bit, is my question.

MF:
So really the foundation for how we decide to render things is we like to have our resolution be dynamic and then we have a pretty robust temporal anti-aliasing solution that lets us scale that up and down, do different dithering effects with materials and things in the scene. And what that means is we get to leverage, we get to take the players' preference about how they want to play the game and also make sure we use all the features of their display in the console as well. So whether you have VRR television, 120Hz TV, whether you like playing at 60fps or 30 or 40, if you have 120hz TV, we really get to tailor everything to best utilize that tech.

After we did our tech piece about Miles Morales, we actually included a third graphic option. So we had performance and visual before and then I can't remember what it was called off the top of my head, but that sort of became standardized in the industry. I see everybody having the free setting fourths just came out and they have those similar ones.

MF:
So I think I want to say for those titles, we had Fidelity Mode, which had the full 4K in ray trace reflections, and then we had a performance mode which turned the ray tracing off and rendered at a lower resolution. And then we were able to add I think around launch, if not just after the performance RT mode as we called it, which was trying to be the best of both. And for this game we're really able to deliver that as a baseline performance mode. There's no mode of this game that has the ray tracing turned off, no need for it. We've really figured out how to deliver what we feel like is the right Spider-Man picture and visuals and we want to make sure every player is seeing that.

level

May 25, 2023
giphy.gif

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Insomniac the GOAT. Expected nothing less

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of assumed this would happen, but also, it's nice to have it confirmed. Blessed 60. No other way to play baby

Deleted member 57019

User-requested account closure
Banned
May 25, 2019
The difference between Sony and Microsoft this generation is that Sony's studios seem to do what it takes to get a 60FPS performance mode in their games, whereas Microsoft will just greenlight games shipping at only 30 FPS just to get them out the door - see Redfall, Starfield.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
While I played the first 2 at 30fps nowadays I've played so much 60 stuff I can't go back so this is a megaton for me

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in for that 40FPS mode. Nice to get confirmation and RT in all modes is awesome.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/jamesstevenson/status/1702699579291074778?s=61&t=Dns_a1_THTmJTtMazPiTfA

Confirmed by James Stevenson.

Mike Fitzgerald, Insomniac's director of techonlogy, also commented on it for IGN:

MF: So I think I want to say for those titles, we had Fidelity Mode, which had the full 4K in ray trace reflections, and then we had a performance mode which turned the ray tracing off and rendered at a lower resolution. And then we were able to add I think around launch, if not just after the performance RT mode as we called it, which was trying to be the best of both. And for this game we're really able to deliver that as a baseline performance mode. There's no mode of this game that has the ray tracing turned off, no need for it. We've really figured out how to deliver what we feel like is the right Spider-Man picture and visuals and we want to make sure every player is seeing that.

www.ign.com

Insomniac Answers All of Our Questions About Spider-Man 2's PS5 Tech - IGN

IGN sat down with members of Insomniac Games that worked on Spider-Man 2, this interview discusses the game from a technical perspective and what things did Insomniac do differently for its third entry in the Spider-Man series.

BlueJay

Oct 27, 2017
ALL MODES HAVE RAY TRACING??????

Insomniac are on another level. What a Marvelous development team.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Usually I'm Team 40fps for PS5 games like GoW, but for a game like Spider-man, I'll be 60fps or 120vrr all the way.

Deleted member 110398

Mar 9, 2022
now my question is, if they solely focused on 30fps, would the game have even a bigger jump in visuals? (still looks amazing though)

Sep 6, 2022
Since it's current-gen only, it makes sense as they don't need a fallback method like SSR etc to account for weaker hardware like PS4.

zolee

Oct 2, 2020
Fucking dope, I played a bit of Spider-Man in performance rt and it's crazy how clean it looks and running around 90 fps

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
as long as 60fps isn't doing something like decreasing traffic or foliage density noticeably, that's the one for me. if resolution is the only factor changing, that's an easy sacrifice.

thatJohann

Nov 17, 2020
I wonder how paired back the graphics will be at 60fps with ray tracing. I wish devs would just give us one best mode. The best possible one. So many options give me ocd.

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
My site spoke with Art Director Jacinda Chew, and we answered some community questions about Spider-Man 2.

If you want to check it out, the episode is on Spotify!
We also have a written version available.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I wonder how paired back the graphics will be at 60fps with ray tracing. I wish devs would just give us one best mode. The best possible one. So many options give me ocd.
But different people have different preferences. If they only have one mode, there will always be someone who is disappointed. But offering multiple modes is the best way to please as many people as possible.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I'm a simple (& a poor) man.

I would take stable/locked 60fps even with low ugly textures & don't care about RT at all.

But I'll take that 60fps with Ray Tracing thank you. 😊