Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Oh my god I had this cap face glitch too last night😂. Games not terrible imo but now that I'm done with it with about 15-20 hrs playtime, I don't see myself coming bk to it.

edit: Also I disagree about not wanting to play as Kamala (she's actually my favorite to play as), but I don't get the love for her character arc lol, she's just your typical "hero".

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a play through. Boy, Im glad I didn't pick it up. Lots of bugs. Kamala is easilyy by far and away the best part. Super likeable, amazing lines, holds her own. Heck, a lot of the story is good but its crammed full of the GaaS stuff that it takes away from the game as a whole.Hard to design a SP game when you don't know if people are playing by themselves or 4 people.

I think one of the big things people can learn from say Ghost of Tsushima is a) getting rid of the HUD and b) skipping collection animations.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I think the game actually does a really good job of making you feel like those heroes, it just has too many bugs. But there is something special there.

Only that Hulk isn't almost unkillable, because well its still a game (but you can make him super fucking sturdy).

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'm picking it up next year just to play through the campaign on PS5 (not paying more than $20 for it), but I feel like they should've focused on one or two Avengers first before going for a full-fledged Avengers game. And damn, bringing up Arkham Asylum really puts into perspective how a game from 10 years ago managed to do a better job at making you feel like the actual superhero. Also... well, it's hard to expect a good game from Crystal Dynamics after the abysmal Tomb Raider games.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
I think a large problem is the characters really don't "open up" until you've unlocked all their skills, so as you play them in the campaign and early end-game you're basically playing the Kindergarten version of whatever character you choose. Cap at level 50 is an entirely different experience than Cap at level 10.

Of course, that does nothing to excuse the repetitive nature of the endgame and the game in general, and I feel like anyone who doesn't go into the experience as a Kamala fan isn't really going to be swayed since they bought the game to play as the fucking Avengers. As someone who hasn't really followed comics since the '90s, I just don't care about Ms. Marvel at all, and to make it worse her platforming sections were fucking abysmal and I spent more time fighting the button prompts than I did AIM forces.

That being said, the combat system is fucking phenomenal and I'm hoping CD can get the issues with bugs and such ironed out soon, because the sheer fun of playing as the best representations of these characters in any game so far isn't going to be enough for a lot of people if the levels and activities continue to have no variety and the numerous bugs aren't ironed out.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
This game is trash and deserves all the harsh criticism it's getting everywhere.
I think a large problem is the characters really don't "open up" until you've unlocked all their skills, so as you play them in the campaign and early end-game you're basically playing the Kindergarten version of whatever character you choose. Cap at level 50 is an entirely different experience than Cap at level 10.

Of course, that does nothing to excuse the repetitive nature of the endgame and the game in general, and I feel like anyone who doesn't go into the experience as a Kamala fan isn't really going to be swayed since they bought the game to play as the fucking Avengers. As someone who hasn't really followed comics since the '90s, I just don't care about Ms. Marvel at all, and to make it worse her platforming sections were fucking abysmal and I spent more time fighting the button prompts than I did AIM forces.

That being said, the combat system is fucking phenomenal and I'm hoping CD can get the issues with bugs and such ironed out soon, because the sheer fun of playing as the best representations of these characters in any game so far isn't going to be enough for a lot of people if the levels and activities continue to have no variety and the numerous bugs aren't ironed out.
Ya it's this idea of "keeping" you invested post campaign, however what they fail to realize is that a lot of folks lose interest in a game once credits roll. I wanna see an attempt to keep me invested DURING the campaign, not afterwards. And I just don't think the gameplay is good enough to carry it once ppl start to finish the campaign which is not long.

Ruprit

Oct 25, 2017
MA
Not surprising after watching their live stream play through of the game. It was bad enough to keep me from purchasing a copy.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
The mission objectives look even worse and repetetive than Destiny. Also didnt know that this game scored that low.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Ya it's this idea of "keeping" you invested post campaign, however what they fail to realize is that a lot of folks lose interest in a game once credits roll. I wanna see an attempt to keep me invested DURING the campaign, not afterwards.

I thought the campaign was pretty strong during the levels you played as the Avengers themselves, but Kamala brought it to a grinding halt outside of her interactions with Bruce. Thor, Tony, Widow, and Cap all had great entrances into the campaign and get you pumped as shit, then they throw it back to Kamala who...is a fan of the Avengers.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
The game definitely deserves criticism, but I don't think Kamala (or her being the main PoV/Playable character) is a problem.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I thought the campaign was pretty strong during the levels you played as the Avengers themselves, but Kamala brought it to a grinding halt outside of her interactions with Bruce. Thor, Tony, Widow, and Cap all had great entrances into the campaign and get you pumped as shit, then they throw it back to Kamala who...is a fan of the Avengers.
Ya the Kamala stuff was dull to me, she's your typical hero who is very predictable as a character. What upset me the most during my play through were two things, the obvious recycling and repetitiveness of the side missions, and how the game presents you with a combat challenge by throwing waves of enemies at you. Now we've seen so many games do this in the past, but that's exactly why I'm so fatigued on it now.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I found kamala quite annoying. As someone who didn't knew her before the game i couldn't care less. I'm not buying a Avengers game to play some random hero no one outside comics has heard of.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Kamala and iron man were my favourites to play as honestly. The game was boring as shit most of the time though. I went in with low expectations and was still disappointed. Glad I only rented it. Would have beeb pissed if I shelled out 60 for this.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
I really like the gameplay *shrugs* mission and level design need work though.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
I will wait for the game to be free on PS Plus , Epic game store, humble budle or something. Sounds like the single player is ok until you get bored of it.

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
Kind of dissonant to say she doesn't know the Avenger characters but then says that she'd rather play the known characters over Kamala?

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I think the game actually does a really good job of making you feel like those heroes, it just has too many bugs. But there is something special there.

Only that Hulk isn't almost unkillable, because well its still a game (but you can make him super fucking sturdy).

Really makes you feel like Spiderman.

Deleted member 76539

Banned
Jul 31, 2020
I'm honestly kind of shocked that there are people that don't like Kamala. The game is what it is but how someone could come away with a negative opinion of her is very confusing to me. She's by far the best part.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Beating up on Avenger's has become a cottage industry. It's an average game, not terrible and not great. Much depends on how into the Avenger's and Marvel you are because IP is a big portion of a games appeal generally. Also Kamala is fucking great.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I found kamala quite annoying. As someone who didn't knew her before the game i couldn't care less. I'm not buying a Avengers game to play some random hero no one outside comics has heard of.
How exactly do you expect people to know about them if they don't actually start using them?

Or do you think anyone gave a shit about the Guardians of the Galaxy before the movie came out?

Hell I'd argue the entire phase 1 Avengers roster minus hulk was on the same level Kamala is currently.

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

hulk going down to a pea shooter or iron man not being able to fly over a building

right out of the comics!

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I'm honestly kind of shocked that there are people that don't like Kamala. The game is what it is but how someone could come away with a negative opinion of her is very confusing to me. She's by far the best part.

its less about Kamala being bad and more about... well, most people probably not knowing her. Even the cover art kinda hides her. I think a lot of people just expected to be abel to play as their favorite hero through the campaign.

grizzmo

Oct 31, 2017
It's a solid 6/10, and I've had a pretty good time playing. Put the game down as the bugs, botched matchmaking, and activity fatigue got to me.

Definitely don't have as scathing of takes as many others including GFR (personally enjoyed the popcorn fun of the campaign especially Kamala), but I hope they expand on what works in this game and fix up the many, many things that don't.

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
There's something there because playing the HARM challenge rooms (empty white room with more enemies than you normally encounter) is really fun. It has a good core combat loop; it's just everything else is mediocre or bad. The bugs certainly don't help, but the slow skills and the negative status effects (especially the Heroic Power Drain) make it very difficult to figure out a groove. "When do my powers work?" You don't know if some white armor enemies hit you with pink stuff and it barely surfaces that information.

If you play defensively and avoid most attacks, the flow becomes more obvious. They really should have saved the disruptive enemies for the post-game or raids, so people could learn their classes first.

Edit: Oh, and it doesn't help that White Armor is either Power Drain *or* Cold damage. And the Power Drain Flying Drone *isn't* white. It's really not surfaced well at all. Purple dudes will teleport, and on-fire dudes have fire, but everyone else is a soupy mix of what the hell are you supposed to be.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I feel like if this game had been marketed as a successor to the old Captain America and the Avengers arcade game (that would continue to add characters), it would have been received better.

I'm really enjoying it, warts and all.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
hulk going down to a pea shooter or iron man not being able to fly over a building

right out of the comics!
You dont remember the issue where hulk was out farming so he could get a legendary drop where he got Orange Shorts +7 and Black Widow used her CC to buy Skintight Suit +11(+12 when against cosmic foes) and then beat Thanos the next issue?

PeterThePanda

Jun 10, 2020
Spain
For a game of this caliber, this should have stayed in the oven some more. The state it came out, as much as I like it, is pitiful.

Otherwise, I just don't see what they have against Kamala Khan. I was watching their streams playing the game and just couldn't handle it with them ranting about Kamala and that "stretchy powers are stupid and no one wants to see them". Why the hell is One Piece so big then?!?

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
While it doesn't look to be a terrible game (aside from the product placement and micro-transaction/$10 pass for each hero shit) it just looks so.....bleh. I have no other way to describe it, I have felt exactly zero desire to even consider picking the game up, and I'm an MCU whore of the highest order. I liked Thor Dark World...yeah. This game just looks so damn dull. The live service aspect being the obvious main focus couldn't have made it less appealing to me. Seeing some of the set pieces, some of the gameplay elements, and it comes across as items ticked off a checklist rather than creative intent, (Stealth section? Check. Minor puzzling? Check. Bits where you run away while actiony shit goes on around you? Check!) I know that's unfair as I'm sure ever game has that kind of thinking put into it's design, but the seams are better hidden in less cynical games. Zero hype, nothing shown that'd make me excited to play it (whereas I bought a Switch in order to play Golf Story and Luigi's Mansion 3 because those games really showed a lot of personality and gameplay that sparked my interest), and the likes of Virgin Media themed outfits for the Avengers to wear really told me everything about what the reason for the game's existence was...

200w.gif

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah picked it up after everyone said the retail was much better than the beta. It is not, it's the same game and the same bugs. The story has been pretty run of the mill too. Prob will trade it in after I'm done with it.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
This game is trash and deserves all the harsh criticism it's getting everywhere.

I really like Avengers, think it's got lots of great stuff in it, and it deserves all the harsh criticism it's getting everywhere. It's an unfinished game that's only out now because of the cynicism that pushes the industry to launch now, fix later.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
yeah as a marvel fan this game was a bummer

using the worlds most popular characters and making a destiny clone out of it

pukes

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good lord they dunked on it. Funny script too, I actually laughed at the "they lose one little terrorist attack and get canceled on Twitter" and "It is... acceptable"

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I'm already guessing the Destiny clone shit will be the reason this game will die on a vine unless they can churn out post launch stuff quickly.