Oct 25, 2017
professor x welcome mutants into the ncu
god i love the mcu

all 3 spider-mans, and now this??

giphy.gif

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My estimate, is that we are looking at a version of Superior Iron Man using his liquid-metal 'enzo-suit'.
The background also suggests they're in the halls of Illuminat HQ. As we all know, Iron Man is a key member of the Illuminati.
yes 'superior iron man's suit is white/silver/blue, however I'm guessing they'll be using their 'movie-licence' to tweak it a little.

There is a shot from the 30sec super bowl ad with that character flying up into frame that looks like a very Iron Man-esque movement/pose. Plus, somebody had to invent/control those Ultron Drones in that dimension.

The stills do look a lot like Maria and the energy style is very similar to Captain Marvel so it'd be a weird edit to do but hey, who knows.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Looks dope, marvel's got a hell of a year coming up.

Careful with "fan theories" about this one though, this trailer seems to corroborate a fairly extensive plot leak. Movie's been through a bunch of reshoots so who knows for sure how it'll shake out but yeah. Be warned!

LauraLaMer

Banned
Dec 5, 2021
It's unusual for Marvel movie trailers to highlight the director; I wonder if Taika will get that treatment for Love & Thunder later this year.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why can't they call him Shuma again?

AFAIK The name 'Shuma Gorath' came from a Conan the Barbarian story, and those rights are owned by Netflix or Universal or some shit.

thedirect.com

Doctor Strange 2 Might Be Victim of Marvel Rights Issue

Character rights issues may be preventing Marvel Studios from using an iconic Doctor Strange villain in this summer's Multiverse of Madness.

As pointed out by ComicBook's Adam Barnhardt, Shuma-Gorath is a name taken from Robert E. Howard's 1967 short story "The Curse of the Golden Skull" that features Kull the Conqueror. Shuma-Gorath would make his Marvel Comics debut six years later as a Doctor Strange antagonist in 1973's Marvel Premiere #10.

Howard is responsible for writing numerous Conan the Barbarian stories, which Marvel regained the comics licensing rights to in 2018.

That said, the live-action rights are more complicated. Barnhardt mentioned that as of September 2020, Netflix has the rights to Conan live-action and animation projects, and is currently developing a live-action series focused on the famed barbarian.

To make matters more complex, Universal Pictures distributed a Kull the Conqueror movie in 1997. Considering Shuma-Gorath was first introduced in a Kull story, that character's rights may still be tied up with Universal.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wanda: You break the rules you become a hero. I break the rules I become the enemy. It doesn't seem fair.

Got damn that line hit.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
ah so it's not a licensing thing then, huh. Weird.
No official source has ever been put forward that any sort of legal issues exist. There was never a character named "Shuma-Gorath" in the Conan books, it was literally just a name in a tiny off-hand reference once.

As far as anyone can tell, Disney/Marvel owns all copyrights for the character.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been saying this for a while.

This movie turning Wanda into a villain is yet another failure of the MCU to it's female characters for me.

I don't think this movie ends with Wanda as a "villain" and I'm not sure why everyone's so certain that's what's happening.

Hell, the trailer even spells out how wack it is that Strange is typically praised for doing significantly worse damage than Wanda.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We've read decades of Marvel Comics treating every powerful female character as a ticking time bomb of emotions because girls can't control their super powers.

That doesn't have much of anything to do with this movie. If Feige, Raimi and co. wanna take her in a different direction, they can and will.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Great trailer but the lack of Doctor Mordrid has me worried.

I know he won't be in the film but with all the multiversal shenanigans it would be the nerdiest, most wonderful cameo to have Jeffrey Combs show up.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
That doesn't have much of anything to do with this movie. If Feige, Raimi and co. wanna take her in a different direction, they can and will.

Looks at Black Widow.

*uh-huh*

The correct answer was to stay far, FAR away from the shit people have problems with, like they did with Carol.

Not directly bring it to the spotlight.

Also, Sam Raimi doesn't have a good track record with female characters, at all. In fact quite the opposite.

So I'll keep my reservations until I'm proven wrong.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Looks at Black Widow.

*uh-huh*

The correct answer was to stay far, FAR away from the shit people have problems with, like they did with Carol.

Also, Sam Raimi doesn't have a good track record with female characters, at all.

So I'll keep my reservations until I'm proven wrong.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Rogue ends up stealing some of Carol's power when she makes her MCU debut.

But that's... a separate discussion.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Rogue ends up stealing some of Carol's power when she makes her MCU debut.

But that's... a separate discussion.

Fun fact, many right wing idiots already have theories and "leaks" about a sexy Rogue defeating Carol as some sort of "Course correction" statement against the wokeness she represents that's making Disney oh so broke.

LOL.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first MCU content I've been optimistic about since, like, Endgame.

I've been interested in Wandavision and FatWS and Loki, but I wasn't going in with the expectation that they'll actually be good, and I straight up haven't watched most MCU movies that have come out since, but Minds of Madness?

I think it's gonna be good.

NWH was a pleasant surprise, but I went in with reserved expectations. With Raimi, I'm all in. Just let the man do what he does, Marvel

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks at Black Widow.

*uh-huh*

Black Widow also has nothing to do with this movie. And while I'm not entirely sure what character flaw you're griping about with regards to her, it strikes me as silly to act like most of these heroes aren't all ridiculously flawed individuals. Hell, Tony went out as the universe's savior after effectively playing the villain in two different ensemble films.

Wanda's gonna be aight, and the MCU is set to be carried by a number of diverse characters moving forward, ranging from heroic to blatantly evil.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Man I think this is the first time an mcu trailer advertised the director without the director already making a loved mcu movie such as the Russos being hyped in infinity war trailers and Gunn being hyped in guardians 2 trailers

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fun fact, many right wing idiots already have theories and "leaks" about a sexy Rogue defeating Carol as some sort of "Course correction" statement against the wokeness she represents that's making Disney oh so broke.

LOL.

LOL.

If they have Rogue stealing some of Carol's power in the MCU, it's only going to be to differentiate the MCU X-Men from the Fox X-Men films. Once the mutants start getting their own MCU films, I expect they will dominate the MCU like they tend to dominate the rest of Marvel.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Ahhhhhhh professor x is freaking being introduced!??!!!?!!!!? Fuck yes!!!!

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks at Black Widow.

*uh-huh*
If Clint had taken the fall instead of Natasha we'd have seen takes about how that was a paternalistic microaggression that deprived her of her agency.

Women can be heroes. Women can be villains. Women can be morally ambiguous characters who are sometimes heroes, sometimes villains. It's fine.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
If Clint had taken the fall instead of Natasha we'd have seen takes about how that was a paternalistic microaggression that deprived her of her agency.

Women can be heroes. Women can be villains. Women can be morally ambiguous characters who are sometimes heroes, sometimes villains. It's fine.

Wow, that's one way to hand wave the issue several of us have pointed out.

Absolutely no one is saying that women can't be villains. It's about how Wanda herself has been handled so far. Her entire character is "Being in the middle of a tragedy or emotional breakdown"

And thinking the problem with Natasha is only her death is...yeah not even scratching the surface.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Strange absorbing those dark beings at the end made me think that it's Knull.

This guy also looked like Blackheart
ts9WUIy.jpg

iu

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
My hope is that she's the act 2 villain and then act 3 is one of the other Stranges, and Wanda comes back from the brink to help the group out.
The leaked version of the story I saw is so fucking awful for Wanda it basically salts the earth for her character.

I could have sworn there were reports that they were retooling things a bit after Wandavision if you're talking about the leaks i think though I've lost track at this point.

TheMerv

Jan 1, 2022

Or you just don't kill off either character instead of having two cynical super spies believing a space Nazi. Like killing of Widow in that movie comes across as repetitive when last movie killed off another female hero in this exact spot.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I'm so glad I'm getting more of Wanda. I hope she gets her own movie after this and she is super important going forward. She absolutely my favorite, and Im invested in her storyline at this point.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Aren't they doing a SHIT ton of re-shoots?

(would be funny if the reason they revealed so much during this trailer was cause the re-shoots wipe the uh bombshell moment in it)

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Wow this trailer wasn't playing around.

Also this looks to be the most visually beautiful MCU movie. Raimi is not disappointing.
Colorful palette, great cinematography are immediately noticeable! Wish more MCU movies actually looked good as this

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Sam Raimi Directing a Marvel movie 20 years after his first one alongside Feige in a post NWH world...
kronk-oh-yeah-its-all-coming-together.gif

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
LOL.

If they have Rogue stealing some of Carol's power in the MCU, it's only going to be to differentiate the MCU X-Men from the Fox X-Men films. Once the mutants start getting their own MCU films, I expect they will dominate the MCU like they tend to dominate the rest of Marvel.

God I hope not. I don't need the movies to become masturbatory over the Mutants and then drop the IQ of every other character to make the Mutants the best ever and always right.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck me. Didn't expect Professor X.

Was already excited for the movie, but this trailer got me even more hyped. This is gonna be awesome.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Shit are those Stark bots.

Is Tom Cruise Superior Stark really gonna be a thing?

We doing a multiversal illuminati with Patrick Stewart!?

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Well if we're going the Illuminati route we know reed richards is on the council, Wanda was fighting the human torch?

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Good to see Patrick Stewart back as Professor X. He said he was retiring from the role after Hugh Jackman retired from Wolverine. So either money speaks or Jackman is also back.

He is probably a varient Professor as Stewart is 81 years old.