signal

Oct 28, 2017
www.forbes.com

‘Marvel Snap’ Becomes Top-Grossing Digital Trading Card Game —Beating ‘Yu-Gi-Oh!’ And ‘Magic:The Gathering Arena’

The digital collectable card game from developer Second Dinner game has outpaced its legacy competitors.

Marvel Snap, an online collectible card game starring fan-favorite superheroes, has reached the $100 million mark, making it the top-grossing digital card came of the year so far by a wide margin and surpassing two Yu-Gi-Oh! digital games, Magic: The Gathering Arena and Hearthstone.
The game has been downloaded 22 million times since its October release, Game World Observer reported, including. 7.4 million installs in its first month.

Since then, it has earned $100.89 million in revenue and far outpaces the earnings of its biggest competitors: Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel and Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links, with a combined $55.2 million in earnings, Magic: The Gathering Arena with $19.6 million and Hearthstone with $18.6 million.

The United States is Marvel Snap's biggest market, followed by South Korea, Japan, France and Canada, according to AppMagic.

gameworldobserver.com

Marvel Snap tops $100 million in mobile revenue, solidifying its status as top-grossing CCG this year | Game World Observer

Marvel Snap has been a huge hit for developer Second Dinner and publisher Nuverse. Let’s dive into the numbers to see the game’s road to $100 million in revenue.

• AppMagic data also shows that Marvel Snap is currently the top-grossing collectible card game on mobile globally, with over $73 million in IAP revenue this year. It is followed by Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel ($33.4 million), Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links ($21.8 million), Magic: The Gathering Arena ($19.6 million), and Hearthstone ($18.6 million).

btvKIeo.jpg

Pretty impressive unless AppMagic is just wildly inaccurate. Not only for beating the combined revenues of the other top games, but because Snap seems to want your money the least from what I played of it. Not that Arena or Master Duel are begging for IAPs, but still.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Snap been steadily cranking the tension on getting folks to pay and/or pay more.

TrubbleFrog

Feb 23, 2018
With how much all the shop cards cost I am not surprised at all. People are probably currently whaling out for the Coulson and White Queen summer variants at $30

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I assume that a big factor is that, until a couple weeks ago, Marvel Snap was mobile only, while Yu-Gi-Oh and Arena both have PC and/or console clients - and I know Arena at least heavily incentivizes you to make your purchases in the PC client, since they get a bigger cut there.

Still impressive, though, for sure. Can't deny that it's one of the biggest card games in the digital space.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
This is mobile only right? Snap only got a PC client like 3 weeks ago compared to the others being on PC.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Snap been steadily cranking the tension on getting folks to pay and/or pay more.
With how much all the shop cards cost I am not surprised at all. People are probably currently whaling out for the Coulson and White Queen summer variants at $30
Oh. Ignore my out of date anecdote then 😔

can you imagine a new Pokémon tcg game on mobile
Live is good! One day they'll change their avatars.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't surprise me at all, since it is Marvel. And also because the game itself incentivizes spending a lot more than the other games I'm familiar with.

For example, Master Duel basically gives you enough stuff to make a ton of decks for free. Meanwhile, the only thing actually worth spending money on in Arena is the battle pass. But if you play the game enough for the battle pass to make sense, you'll almost certainly grind enough currency to buy it without paying real money.

Which is a shame, because I really like what Snap is doing in terms of the gameplay, but their monetization model makes the game impossible to recommend.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Been playing on/off since release and only got the season passes, never paid more than that, own I'd say 98% of the cards (bad ones I skip). But yeah I can see how it would be frustrating as a new player with how much you'd want new cards.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Snap can be expensive but the Spotlight Caches really made it so much easier to get new cards. The new progression system punishes people like me that have large collections much more than new players. There are more generous card games out there but frankly speaking they just aren't very fun and are kind of dead games so of course they are cheaper to play because they need players.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Been playing on/off since release and only got the season passes, never paid more than that, own I'd say 98% of the cards (bad ones I skip). But yeah I can see how it would be frustrating as a new player with how much you'd want new cards.

My words exactly. I've put just maybe 25€ in it in total (bought pass twice and bought one cheap Jubilee bundle) to the game and I've gotten cards for kind of decks I like to play, but it truly took time to get there.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Uh oh. I guess the progressively more expensive bundles are more popular than I suspected… ugh more incoming

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I'm surprised Magic isn't higher, it's the grand daddy of TCGs and Arena is monetized to absolute hell

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
It may take time to get everything but in 6 months i have f2p friends who can run almost every top performing meta deck where as they've been playing MTGA for years f2p and can't make 90% of them. It can be frustrating because of how much time it takes to get through the series but in terms of accessibility and monetization as far as im concerned it's the best on the market and i will take their model over Hearthstone, MTGA and Yugioh any fucking day of the week.

I've spent a fraction of what i spent on MTGA/Hearthstone on Snap and i am almost every series complete.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I wonder if they plan on a console release eventually, now that the PC version is out.

I'm disappointed that they let you use gold to upgrade cards now. Makes sense from a financial standpoint for them but it killed the fun of showing off your go-to cards that have been used a lot.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I have never payed and it seems fair to me. The only card that I feel that I "need" is Jeff and he is right now in the spotlight.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
I'm fully addicted to this game, I'll play it at least an hour every day and i absolutely love it. In total I've only spent £16 on it which is nothing for the amount that i play it

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I was playing this obsessiveky until I just hit a breaking point a few months back with the monetization/progress model. It was becoming a chore I wasn't enjoying and didn't seem healthy. I deleted it from my devices and haven't returned since.

Like most mobile games, it's too heavy on the FOMO-based monetization and felt gross, but I can see how it hooks people to spend a ton, which is a shame because the game itself is fun.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Wow I thought Hearthstone had them all beat.

Tried Snap a bit, it's well made but I just can't justify burning my phone battery on a game.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
As somebody that used to work on Yu-Gi-Oh!, this is huge.

For 20+ years the only games in town have been YGO, Magic and Pokémon, usually swapping the top spot amongst themselves.

Hearthstone was the first game that made everyone stand up and take notice (Konami were positively spooked by it, and the entire YGO team was playing it at work), and a few years later Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links was released. Pokémon TCG went through some massive changes too.

Will be interesting to see the landscape in 5 years and how the old guard adapts. Magic tend to focus on physical as they have the most mature business there,

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm disappointed that they let you use gold to upgrade cards now. Makes sense from a financial standpoint for them but it killed the fun of showing off your go-to cards that have been used a lot.

This wasn't really the case to begin with though, as boosters would be given out as level/season pass rewards all the time.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I was playing this obsessiveky until I just hit a breaking point a few months back with the monetization/progress model. It was becoming a chore I wasn't enjoying and didn't seem healthy. I deleted it from my devices and haven't returned since.

I don't feel the "chore" aspect at all. Daily's are the fastest to do in any game I've ever played and if you haven't played in months then you missed the addition of spotlight caches. If you have a large collection they can be mixed but if you don't you can literally get a new card every Spotlight you open which is leagues better than the old system. I don't think the monetization complaints are as accurate as they used to be.

The bundles are pricey but I never feel the need to buy them like I used as I just save caches now until there are several cards in a group that I don't have. The caches even make the season pass less essential because not having the card from the pass increases the value of the Caches the week that card is put in them.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel the "chore" aspect at all. Daily's are the fastest to do in any game I've ever played and if you haven't played in months then you missed the addition of spotlight caches. If you have a large collection they can be mixed but if you don't you can literally get a new card every Spotlight you open which is leagues better than the old system. I don't think the monetization complaints are as accurate as they used to be.

The bundles are pricey but I never feel the need to buy them like I used as I just save caches now until there are several cards in a group that I don't have. The caches even make the season pass less essential because not having the card from the pass increases the value of the Caches the week that card is put in them.
Yeah, I don't know what Spotlights are. I quit before then.

Your experience certainly may differ, but that's how it felt to me. I'm just exhausted by these models that cspitalize on addictive tendencies, and have little patience for them. Quitting the game felt like a relief. Even if I don't buy the offers, seeing the absurd pricing feels gross to me and sours the experience. Again, YMMV.