IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
1456137027-avengers-age-of-ultron-hulk-wide.jpg

Source: GQ Interview

Whether Ruffalo will return as Hulk is up in the air. "I'd love to do a standalone Hulk, I just don't think that's ever going to happen," he says. The CGI for the character is costly to produce, even though Ruffalo says it's likely to have come down in price over the years as technology has advanced. "It's very expensive if you did a whole movie, which is why they use the Hulk so sparingly. I priced myself out!"

Ruffalo has heard what critics have to say about him giving his prime acting years to playing a comic book hero. I wonder if it bothers him that there is something of a perception that the work is, perhaps, you know, not…

"Cool? I've heard it a lot from my peers," he says. "Sometimes I think it's jealousy, a little bit. Because then I see them run off and do it."

On the shift to Disney+:
Marvel is currently going through an identity crisis. Post Avengers: Endgame, the studio has struggled to form a cohesive narrative that ties its properties together. Recent release The Marvels is the studio's worst performing film ever, and its streaming shows on Disney+ are reportedly struggling to consistently attract big audiences. Meanwhile, fans are still waiting to be convinced to care about its new stable of heroes introduced after the departure of Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man and Chris Evans' Captain America.

"I think the expansion into streaming was really exciting, but the thing about Marvel movies is you had to wait three years and that created a mystique," Ruffalo says. "These corrections could be really positive things. Will it be what it was? I don't know."

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was because Universal owned distribution rights on solo HULK films or am I wrong?

Either way, we have had two shots at a Hulk f up m with neither being all that compelling. I just don't think HULK is interesting enough to carry 2 hours on his own.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I would probably be down for a movie where he spent 75% of the time in Banner mode. That's how prior Hulk movies worked.

I thought it was because Universal owned distribution rights on solo HULK films or am I wrong?

I think that has been the case, but the Universal contract either has expired or is about to expire.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida

Either way, we have had two shots at a Hulk f up m with neither being all that compelling. I just don't think HULK is interesting enough to carry 2 hours on his own.

Yes, that is exactly why he's used sparingly.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com

and Ironheart is interesting enough to carry some sort of 8 hour disney+ show?

they can do it if they want to. they just dont want to.

VCFL

Jan 24, 2018
Watching Endgame last night and I was going to make a thread about how we were robbed of a single movie with Mark. I love how they allow him to be a scientist and that's what I wanted. I want to see the scientist Bruce working on things and having internal conflicts with Hulk until he finally caves and allows Hulk to take over when he wants.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Can you imagine how annoying it must be to be asked the same question over and over again on every single press tour. Stop asking for a solo Hulk film it's not going to happen.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I've always liked how chill Ruffalo is about having done the MCU movies - "yeah, I made a bunch of money during my prime years and got to make some silly movies with a cast of people who all became friends - what did you do?".

I'd be interested in a Ruffalo Hulk movie just because the character is in such a weird place now as "The Hulk". Grey Hulk movie maybe?

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
These movies used to make a billion dollars a pop and they didn't want to shell out for CGI of one of their most popular characters?

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't even say he wasted prime years. He was around 45 and already had some great roles under his belt. I would love to be able to say I played an Avenger in my forties.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I've always liked how chill Ruffalo is about having done the MCU movies - "yeah, I made a bunch of money during my prime years and got to make some silly movies with a cast of people who all became friends - what did you do?".

I'd be interested in a Ruffalo Hulk movie just because the character is in such a weird place now as "The Hulk". Grey Hulk movie maybe?

Outside of his neat constant gaffes, Ruffalo is a good one. When he fucks up he listens anf apologizes really quick too.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
"We already tried a Hulk Disney+ show, and everyone hated it!" - Disney execs, probably

Schwarzbier

Nov 14, 2017
New Jersey
He shouldn't have ever been getting heat over doing Marvel films. The dude is free to make whatever movie he chooses. Most of his awards and nominations came during the MCU era, so I don't even really understand the criticism, unless they feel the acting world was "owed" something better.

Anyway, He's probably right it'll be too expensive, but there must be a good script writer out there who can make a good character driven film with minimal CGI. Marvel probably isn't willing to take that kind of risk though, even if it could be done with a somewhat low budget.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I can imagine when they haven't nailed down the script before shooting and with all the rewrites and then having to fix it all in post, yeah its probably going to cost way more than the previous movies.

Mar 27, 2018
If they can make She Hulk, they can make a Hulk movie. They would cost the same, and Hulk would actually go to theaters and make at least… well I don't know these days 🤷

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
They could easily do an adaptation of the 'Future Imperfect' story arch where Hulk/Banner fights a alternate future version of himself called Maestro, but that's too easy apparently...

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
People hating on Ruffalo for doing Marvel always reminds me of that Frankie Muniz tweet. I forget the exact phrasing but somebody says his acting is pitiful and replies "you know what's not pitiful? Retiring at 18 with 40 million dollars"

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
imo they should do a Hulk movie but not brand it as a "Hulk Movie" trademark symbol

MCU can do lots of (mostly) standalone movies without an official headliner. yeah they dipped their toes in that with Secret Invasion but just so happened it sucked so what it happens

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
All you have to do is watch Ruffalo in Poor Things to understand the prime of his career is NOW.

Twohearts

Banned
Feb 8, 2024
Straya
I would love a Hulk movie, but I don't trust a Hulk movie by Disney to approach the internal complexity of Immortal Hulk, and I doubt they'd go into the DID side of the Hulk since they "already have" a character with DID in Moon Knight (obviously they can have many, this is probably just how the writing would go). THere's just something sweet to me about The Hulk being a little kid and seeing Banner as the "Big Guy" he has to protect, and then Joe Fixit's desire to protect the Hulk. It much resembles our internal life, and I just don't want to see a Hulk movie unless they can capture that.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Smart ruffalo hulk is the most boring motherfucker ever. Granted, before that they turned hulk into a baby talking toddler, so…

The only time hulk was even remotely interesting in the mcu was when he went absolutely feral in Age of Ultron.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I couldn't care less for wanting to see the current Hulk version for a full movie. He is just boring.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Ruffalo has been in his prime for like 15 years. Even in between Marvel stuff he's turned in a bunch of great performances

Sep 18, 2023
Most of his awards and nominations came during the MCU era, so I don't even really understand the criticism, unless they feel the acting world was "owed" something better.
I'd call this a chicken-egg thing. He was a beloved actor getting notice for the 10+ years before Avengers, but not actual awards notice outside of like, critics circle awards for You Can Count On Me (which did get an Oscar nom way back in 2001).

Then in 2010-12 you get The Kids Are All Right, Margaret, and Shutter Island. In turn: critically beloved with a lot of awards notice, critically beloved movie with a historically tumultuous production and immediate cult status leading to the writer/director's next movie being an awards collector, and critically somewhat-loved auteur movie that had very good box office.

All of those predate Avengers escalating his star profile, and he probably still gets stuff like Spotlight and Foxcatcher without being the Hulk. And in the 10 years since then he's acted in like, 3 non-MCU roles.

Me personally, I hate that because I think his performance in something like You Can Count On Me (which is a fucking incredible movie) or The Kids Are All Right shows that he's a world-class talent as an actor, and instead he's done green screen bullshit for 15 years with his rare excursions out of that being something like Poor Things—which is fun but he does a necessarily thin, comic role. So while I'm sure there's some jealousness in there, as a simple viewer of movies I do think my gripe is somewhat well founded the same way it is with like, ScarJo or RDJ. These are talented actors who also have star power, and they largely haven't used the financial flexibility and renown granted by being in the MCU to make any cool or interesting shit. which sucks.

Sep 18, 2023
Ruffalo has been in his prime for like 15 years. Even in between Marvel stuff he's turned in a bunch of great performances
Has he? This is a complete list of his non-Banner roles since Avengers.

Thanks For Sharing
Now You See Me
Begin Again
Infinitely Polar Bear
Foxcatcher
The Normal Heart
Spotlight
Now You See Me 2
Dark Waters
I Know This Much Is True
The Adam Project
Poor Things
All The Light We Cannot See

A few of those are Shawn Levy pieces of lazy shit. Two of those are Now You Can See Me movies. Begin Again is John Carney's only bad movie and I don't like him in it. Poor Things, as mentioned, he's by design a very thin and purely comedic role.

Basically I'd argue he's great in Spotlight and Dark Waters and pretty good in Foxcatcher, and everything else either due to his performance or (more often) the material can be disregarded. So that's 2.5 great performances in 10 years. Is there really something I'm missing there?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks For Sharing
Now You See Me
Begin Again
Infinitely Polar Bear
Foxcatcher
The Normal Heart
Spotlight
Now You See Me 2
Dark Waters
I Know This Much Is True
The Adam Project
Poor Things

A few of those are Shawn Levy pieces of lazy shit. Two of those are Now You Can See Me movies. Begin Again is John Carney's only bad movie and I don't like him in it. Poor Things, as mentioned, he's by design a very thin and purely comedic role.

Basically I'd argue he's great in Spotlight and Dark Waters and pretty good in Foxcatcher, and everything else either due to his performance or (more often) the material can be disregarded. So that's 2.5 great performances in 10 years. Is there really something I'm missing there?
Foxcatcher, Spotlight, Normal Heart, Infinitely Polar Bear, and Poor Things he was all good in, and there's the Derek Cianfrance series that I didn't watch but won him a bunch of awards. He hasn't exactly been hurting for lauded non-marvel performances in the past decade. And if you don't like those, then take it up with his agent

Fedeuy

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks For Sharing
Now You See Me
Begin Again
Infinitely Polar Bear
Foxcatcher
The Normal Heart
Spotlight
Now You See Me 2
Dark Waters
I Know This Much Is True
The Adam Project
Poor Things

Have you watched The Normal Heart?

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Ruffalo would probably lobby for a Hulk film himself if he got emailed some pages

oh454lhzksi81.jpg

immortal-hulk-26-6.jpg

immortal-hulk-26-3.jpg

immortal-hulk-26-5.jpg

4eisg4i58hx31.png

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Is the Hulk CGI more expensive than it is for other characters somehow? Cause, like, GOTG3 has two primary all CGI characters.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017

Hulk: Across The Hulkaverse
Hulk: No Way Hulk
Deadpool & Wolverine & Hulk

I can also see Marvel realizing it's kind of counter-productive to make entire movies focused on a character whose main thing is being tormented by the transformations that the audience is basically there to see in the first place.

Sep 18, 2023
Foxcatcher, Spotlight, Normal Heart, Infinitely Polar Bear, and Poor Things he was all good in, and there's the Derek Cianfrance series that I didn't watch but won him a bunch of awards. He hasn't exactly been hurting for lauded non-marvel performances in the past decade. And if you don't like those, then take it up with his agent
I sampled both Infinitely Polar Bear and This Much Is True and both seemed bad to me, but I guess I can't render judgement. Otherwise those are the ones I named plus Normal Heart. Sure he's gotten noms for some of that but as I said I think that can be a chicken-egg thing—he's very prominent so he's more likely to get noms, but he also probably would've gotten noms even if he hadn't done the MCU as he was already on a trajectory towards that. I think number of actual quality performances is the thing that's up in The air—I mean would anybody argue that Anthony Hopkins or Christopher Plummer are/were actually giving their best performances in the late 2010s? Or that the recent singles of Diane Warren are actually great and meaningful and relevant music? Awards are one thing, Ruffalo could have had that and consistent long-lasting critical acclaim…he kinda left that in the dust.
Have you watched The Normal Heart?
No but it's on the list despite Ryan Murphy being a cancer. Love Groff in Mindhunter and Knock at the Cabin, so I hope it's good. If it turns out amazing that would up it to like 3.5-4 good performances over 10 years, so I'm not sure it would collapse my stance that Ruffalo has wasted his years while in the MCU.

Feb 16, 2022
Ruffalo is a fantastic actor. I wish they hadn't done what they did to Hulk, tbh. His Banner was the best in those first two Avengers movie.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
It's a damn shame how great he was in the first two Avengers films then was given nothing to do ever since