Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why am I constantly slipping around like I'm on ice? Every jump I make is like two blocks away from where I wanted to jump. I was really excited to play this due to everyone saying it's the best 2D Mario but nah dude.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
My experience with it wasn't as severe as yours, but when the game first came out I made the exact same complaint and absolutely everyone acted like I was crazy. Like there was just a very slight looseness/slipperyness to the controls, and it drove me crazy from start to finish of the game.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I think they are tight as hell. They aren't SMB3 tight, but NSMB games aren't about that anyway

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I think it feels great. Funny enough SMB2 (USA) and SMB3 feel super slippery to my wife and I after playing so much NSMB over the past few years. SMB1 feels fine though.

Axiology

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah it's definitely something you have to adjust to. I only played NSMBWii, but it was noticeable from the start. Eventually I came around to it, though I think they could've served to tone it down a bit.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
They aren't slippery. I did testing on it back when SMM came out because some people were saying this. Here:

What I found is that all 3 games essentially have a p-meter. Obviously SMB3 has one cuz you can see it and we knew SMW had a hidden one, but I was surprised to find NSMBU is affected by one, too.

This is how SMB3, SMW, and NSMBU stack up on acceleration:

RjVgEQI.jpg

The red star is how far you have to run right from the very left edge of the screen to fill the p-meter and run at top speed starting with the p-meter completely empty. The blue star is how far you have to run right from the very left edge of the screen to refill the p-meter after having first run to the left at full speed.

What I found is that SMB3 has the slowest acceleration from 0 p and SMW and NSMBU are tied. However, SMW is the fastest at getting back up to top speed after stopping while SMB3 and NSMBU are tied.

So what about stopping? SMB3 has the worst skidding at full speed. You skid about 3-4 blocks. SMW and NSMBU take about 2 blocks, but NSMBU has a bit more of a pause on the stop that puts it about in line with SMB3 in how long it takes to change direction.

As for air control, SMB3 and NSMBU are about the same. If you run and jump from a platform and then reverse direction after jumping you will land on the spot you jumped from. If you do the same thing in SMW you will overshoot that spot by about 4 blocks.

In all 3 of the games you will only skid if you try to stop after landing a jump. If you try to stop before landing a jump, you will instead stop pinpoint. NSMBU adds an animation of Mario running in the direction you are holding, so this may lend to the perception that there is less control here. The jumps are no less precise.

In short, the long windup and cool down compared to SMB3 and SMW do not exist. NSMBU is a combination of aspects of those 2 games. It has the 0-100 acceleration of SMW and the 100-0-100 acceleration SMB3. It has the skidding distance of SMW but the similar stopping speed of SMB3. And it has the air control of SMB3. If any game would feel like it was on ice it'd be SMB3 due to the slower acceleration and longer skids.

It's especially telling with Mario Maker where all of the physics are the same (NSMBU physics) across all visual styles but people still perceive differences that don't exist.

Also:

Full speed jump arcs from all 4 games:

SMB:
47x9T3V.jpg

SMB3:
3KQ65UE.jpg

SMW:
JlbTZZc.jpg

NSMBU:
Uegm5MG.jpg

Put 'em all together:
XC38rcX.jpg

NSMBU's full speed jump arc is near identical to SMW's. SMB1's falls short and SMB3's is nuts.

Last edited:

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I always thought they felt a little slippery, but after playing Mario Maker - where every tileset uses NSBU physics I believe - I realized it's just the animations in NSMB games that's throwing me off.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Why am I constantly slipping around like I'm on ice? Every jump I make is like two blocks away from where I wanted to jump. I was really excited to play this due to everyone saying it's the best 2D Mario but nah dude.
Is your TV in game mode? It honestly sounds like you have some major input lag and you just weren't aware of it because most modern games are designed around it.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
They aren't slippery. I did testing on it back when SMM came out because some people were saying this. Here:

What I found is that all 3 games essentially have a p-meter. Obviously SMB3 has one cuz you can see it and we knew SMW had a hidden one, but I was surprised to find NSMBU is affected by one, too.

RjVgEQI.jpg

The red star is how far you have to run right from the very left edge of the screen to fill the p-meter and run at top speed starting with the p-meter completely empty. The blue star is how far you have to run right from the very left edge of the screen to refill the p-meter after having first run to the left at full speed.

What I found is that SMB3 has the slowest acceleration from 0 p and SMW and NSMBU are tied. However, SMW is the fastest at getting back up to top speed after stopping while SMB3 and NSMBU are tied.

So what about stopping? SMB3 has the worst skidding at full speed. You skid about 3-4 blocks. SMW and NSMBU take about 2 blocks, but NSMBU has a bit more of a pause on the stop that puts it about in line with SMB3 in how long it takes to change direction.

As for air control, SMB3 and NSMBU are about the same. If you run and jump from a platform and then reverse direction after jumping you will land on the spot you jumped from. If you do the same thing in SMW you will overshoot that spot by about 4 blocks.

In all 3 of the games you will only skid if you try to stop after landing a jump. If you try to stop before landing a jump, you will instead stop pinpoint. NSMBU adds an animation of Mario running in the direction you are holding, so this may lend to the perception that there is less control here. The jumps are no less precise.

In short, the long windup and cool down compared to SMB3 and SMW do not exist. NSMBU is a combination of aspects of those 2 games. It has the 0-100 acceleration of SMW and the 100-0-100 acceleration SMB3. It has the skidding distance of SMW but the similar stopping speed of SMB3. And it has the air control of SMB3. If any game would feel like it was on ice it'd be SMB3 due to the slower acceleration and longer skids.

It's especially telling with Mario Maker where all of the physics are the same across all visual styles but people still perceive differences that don't exist.
Dropping fact bombs yet again.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't so much the physics but the fact it is a 3d model that throws me off. Eventually I adjust to it after a few levels and it feels like old school mario.

Oct 25, 2017
My patented 'hold B and flick in the opposite direction upon landing even when it's a one block platform' trick may still hold up.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I love the feel of NSMBU. I run and jump through the levels like a superhero.

I suppose they make it a bit "slippery" compared to some recent indie platformers in order to give weight to the character. Maybe they decided it's more satisfying that way? I dunno, but it works for me.

My problem with the game is that they adjusted the collision detection on enemies, so occasionally I'm surprised when I get killed by a goomba despite landing "on" it, but apparently I'm not centered enough...

movieclub

Jan 3, 2019
I have come to the conclusion that this game sucks.

I was super excited for it to come out on Switch, got it at midnight beat within 2 days.

Nothing left to come back to, not fun to pick up and play.

Physics and "wah wah" make no sense.

Bramblebutt

Jan 11, 2018

RjVgEQI.jpg

It's especially telling with Mario Maker where all of the physics are the same (NSMBU physics) across all visual styles but people still perceive differences that don't exist.

I've had hours long debates over this before. It's nice to have some assurance that I'm not completely insane.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
Did you play as Toadette? She is less slippery by design.

Also I found NSMBU to be amazing, but that is just my opinion.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what you're talking about honestly. I never noticed anything like this at all, except when actually being on ice.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
For as much as I bitch about the music and graphics, the way they control is by far my biggest gripe. Got it during the sale to see if I'll warm up to it more than on Wii u but man it's not much better

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds way more like input lag than anything as NSMBU physics, if anything, feel slightly less slippery than SMB3 to me.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017

RjVgEQI.jpg

Best post in forever. Thanks for putting this info out there.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I played it on Wii U way back, but I don't remember the game feeling slippery. Nothing like SMB2 at least.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
It feels off to me as well. I don't think its input lag on my TV as I've only played it in handheld mode. I just took it as I've got to get used to it.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
My experience with it wasn't as severe as yours, but when the game first came out I made the exact same complaint and absolutely everyone acted like I was crazy. Like there was just a very slight looseness/slipperyness to the controls, and it drove me crazy from start to finish of the game.

You're crazy. There's no slipperyness.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
3d models "feel" floatier than 2d sprites even when the physics are identical. i think it has something to do with the startup on the animation, vs the instant movement of a sprite
i always get used to it though

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
We all agreed to say it was the best 2D Mario in a devilish plot to trick you.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
When are people going to learn that just posting "can a mod fix the title" in the thread never works. You need to use the report function to report the thread to a mod and ask them to change the title that way.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I definitely prefer the feel of the Super Mario Maker version physics over what I've been playing.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I definitely prefer the feel of the Super Mario Maker version physics over what I've been playing.
They're the same, though. The only difference is the camera zooms out in NSMBU. And the SMM version uses low framerate animated textures for enemies and dynamic objects instead of full 3D models

Last edited:

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When are people going to learn that just posting "can a mod fix the title" in the thread never works. You need to use the report function to report the thread to a mod and ask them to change the title that way.

Unless you were already told it's fairly counter intuitive?

Why can only mods edit titles, anyway? Other than "because it was like that on GAF"