Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hi.

So, there's been some discussion recently online and such about more and more men starting to wear at least basic makeup. I'm not talking about mascara and blush and eyeshadow or lipstick, but just basic things like concealer/foundation and powder, maybe bronzers to help even out skin tone and cover up any blemishes. There are a ton of brands out there that market themselves as "Makeup for Men", but their prices are typically inflated by a shitload, while generally offering the same product as "womens" makeup. I imagine a lot of the reason is to prey on guys who are new to it and don't realize it's essentially the same stuff that women use, just with a different branding. One of them is seriously something like "Tactical Makeup for Men" and it's all black branding with military dudes, etc and it's just so eye-rolling lol

In any case, do any of y'all gents wear this? If so, do you go for the "made for men" brands, or just stick to whatever? I've considered it, particularly when I have important meetings or interviews to go to, but also even for everyday use. I'm curious to hear some of y'all's opinions.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I generally avoid things that say FoR MeNn!!1 on the label. If I need concealer I'll get some. But not concealer FOR MEN!

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
nah, I don't think we're quite there yet as a society.

the only thing I'd be worried about going into a meeting/interview with makeup on is whether or not people would be able to tell (narrator: they would).

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Concealer being socially acceptable for men to wear would be really great. But I think if you would tell someone that you wear makeup as a man, they would look somewhat down on you.

Nevermind that all people that appear on TV wear makeup.

OP
OP
Ambient80

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I generally avoid things that say FoR MeNn!!1 on the label. If I need concealer I'll get some. But not concealer FOR MEN!
That's kind of how I feel. Like I said they are, from what I've seen, exactly the same as any other "made for women" product. They're just marked up like 2-3x the price.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do some skin care routine, which is basically applying 2 water based serums. But that's it, would never apply makeup I don't think it looks good on men (and women). Don't mind eye makeup and lipstick on women though.

OP
OP
Ambient80

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Concealer being socially acceptable for men to wear would be really great. But I think if you would tell someone that you wear makeup as a man, they would look somewhat down on you.

Nevermind that all people that appear on TV wear makeup.
See, I kinda think it is becoming more accepted. Lots of business guys are wearing it now, and some doctors in the hospital I work at are known to wear it at big meetings, or when they first meet a patient so they look nicer. I would doubt that it's extremely common, obviously, but it does seem to be getting more common than it once was.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
See, I kinda think it is becoming more accepted. Lots of business guys are wearing it now, and some doctors in the hospital I work at are known to wear it at big meetings, or when they first meet a patient so they look nicer. I would doubt that it's extremely common, obviously, but it does seem to be getting more common than it once was.
I am not aware of one man that wears make up in his regular life.
But where I am from even women wearing make-up is not that common, other than mascara and eyeliner and some light foundation. People walk around quite plain around here.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As a man, I do use moiserizers and exfoliants on my face that are usually marketed to women since my fiance tells me to. She knows her stuff and they do work on my skin to make it look healthier and younger. I highly recommend everyone at least do some basic skincare.

But no, I would not put on concealer or makeup. I think I'm past the age to need to conceal any acne or anything anyway. No judgement to those who do, by the way. Be your best self.

Edit: Actually I remember I once used my mom's concealer as a kid on picture day to cover up a giant zit. It was worth it. But I would not do so today since I haven't had acne in over 15 years.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. I have no interest in doing so. I genuinely do not care how I look. It's one thing that held over from when I was Christian ("28 And why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin, 29 yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not clothed like one of these.")

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I put some cream for my skin as it sometimes become too dry but that's about it. Even hair gel is completely out of the question.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
I really need to take better care of my face first. But yeah I'm thinking about getting some sort of concealer someday, by skin is always really reddish.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I'd prefer everyone just go natural women included but I don't begrudge anyone the choice if that's what makes them feel good.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I do sometimes. Don't see anything wrong with it and applied lightly enough, doesn't look bad. Plus it's fun to have some makeup time with my fiancée lol.

Plus I grew up applying makeup on my sister because her hands were a bit shaky and she couldn't do it herself too well so me applying it too turned it into a family activity.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Outside of my basic AHA/BHA/moisturizer skincare regime, I use a combination of foundation and concealer for the occasional event or acne episode.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think makeup is something you have to learn at an early age when you have an enthusiasm for it. Trying to get a dude in his 20's or 30's to learn all this stuff and then spend hard earned money on it is a fool's errand. Not to mention that there's probably still a pretty massive social stigma attached to men wearing makeup. I'd probably be more self-conscious wearing it than not wearing it, to be honest. If you come across the wrong person I could easily see getting threatened, insulted, belittled, or fought over it. Whereas if I just walk around as a guy with less-than-great skin nobody is really going to take notice.

Nov 27, 2019
I do a little foundation and gray or brown eyeliner. Nothing dramatic or even really noticeable if you don't know what I look like without.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If makeup could improve my appearance as sharply and dramatically as it does for women, I might give it a try. But if it's just some concealer or foundation to even out skin tone then I'm not going to risk an ass-kicking over it.

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a guy friend who started wearing light foundation and bronzer recently and he looks fantastic. You do you, boo boo

DyCy

Oct 25, 2017
I wear BB cream when my skin gets too bad. This year I'd like to start wearing some eyeliner from time to time.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Only during plays or musicals, the stage lights can make you look insanely pale.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I'm married and can't be bothered, I shave/shower every day which is good enough, I'd hate having to add makeup to my morning routine and don't know how much I'd actually get out of it.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
nope. Reminds me of the female comedian jokes about how hard dating is getting, with men taking longer to get ready than women.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Do you, live your best life etc etc. But nah. I just don't care that much.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Why are people mentioning lotion in here? That is nothing to do with wearing guy makeup. lol

Oct 27, 2017
I'd try it out if I could do it without getting all kinds of questions or unwanted attention. I'd love to try out lipstick or nail polish.

Oct 27, 2017
Paradoxically, if I was much better looking, I might consider it. But if I'm only putting lipstick on a pig, who would I be kidding?

Cdammen

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
No. It feels like such a hassle, the maintenance aspect that is. My skin is good as is and I don't want to clog up my pores with expensive chemicals.

If I would do it I would do it to express myself with some crazy coloured eye shadow or something. That would be fun, but I'm not into any of it. I don't want the attention, I don't want to waste money on the shitty industry, and I don't want to take the time from my already busy schedule of laying on the couch all day.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
My face has been super itchy for some reason so I've scratched my forehead, cheeks, eyebrows, eyelids, and chin raw. I slather vasaline all over my face because otherwise the raw areas would be scaly/scabby and it would probably sting even more when I sweat during workouts. Does that count?

If not, then nope.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I put care into my face and hair: creams, lotions, gel and whatnot, but no, I don't do any makeup.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I know it's subjective, but I find makeup and most beauty-type products kinda weird. It feels like the entire industry is propped up on convincing people they're naturally flawed and unattractive, but can become attractive if they buy and use a product for the rest of their lives.

I mean, if people want to use makeup, men or women, they are free to do so. It's not my place to tell them they shouldn't. However, my hope is that makeup for men never really takes off so men don't have their standards of attractiveness elevated in the same way women have had to deal with.