• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MH1 - Fallen Shinobi; Sling-Gang Lieutenant; Battle Screech; Farmstead Gleaner
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Reminder text on mythics is more a matter of whether they have space for it.

Plague Engineer is a reference to Engineered Plague, and Carriers are a classic Phyrexian type, the most well known being Phyrexian Plaguelord. Oddly, no creature with "carrier" in their name is a carrier. Reveal article.

The Wrenn and Six reveal article mentions that Six is a treefolk that acts as a mech-like vehicle for Wrenn, who is symbiotically linked to it. Six is the "sixth treefolk", whatever that means. No genders are given.

Fallen Shinobi reveal
    en_tXU4t7I61d.png

This was going to be a reprint of Silent-Blade Oni, but they decided people would want all the ninjas to be new, plus they wanted it to maybe see Modern play.

D7V1ifiXYAAt6ZF

Reference to Siege-Gang Commander, of course.

Reprint of

15.jpg

D7WNIg_XkAE6gzr.jpg

First time UNTAP has appeared with +1/+1 counters. Also, Reaper King buyouts totally vindicated.
    390757882527744000.png

Last edited:
    MH1 - Goblim Champion; Collector Ouphe; Spiteful Sliver (?)
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Goblin_Champion_JP.png

Goblin Champion
    Haste, exalted
    His heroic episodes gives people courage, but in fact all are fiction.
    0/1

There's actually a comic that comes with the card
    231.png

232.png

233.png
    He's lying in the comic to encourage his comrades.

D7k1NVrX4AE5gCm.jpg:large

Seems like it could be big

j6syhb62er031.jpg

Spiteful Sliver

2R 2/2 Rare

All slivers you control have "When this creature is dealt damage, it deals that much damage to target Player or Planeswalker"

Boros Reckoner sliver.

And box art for Core Set 2020
    0btgtt25tr031.jpg

Chandra fighting a spirit thing

MH1 - Segovian Angel
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    oSRm43k.png

Segovia is a world where everything is smaller than normal... and apparently is literally Segovia, Spain.
    Worzel is one of the planeswalkers from the Alpha instruction manual.

MH1 - Throes of Chaos; Ninja Naga (?); Future Sight; Unearth; Dead of Winter; Endling
  • Oct 28, 2017
    pkUEcnZokrmN_KhRz9vCBntFOzEwIofRypOAtnP2uls.png

Wish there was no reminder text.

3zrnrnn2ey031.png

2U, 3/1

Creature - Naga Ninja

Ninjutsu 2U

Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, create a token that's a copy of ~.

7QqhFVMlSV7qO-OxAzURYLUQvYYi02jIfF-jRbwy9zk.png

That's a reprint.

tVXZNJ1_Oe8AQANPYBj8OS9EpJAPUNfG_n2QeEuS4Yc.png

That's a reprint.

dead_of_winter_en.png

Nice art.

4H1yllxx8u6r52iUAOL7TnfyjtuytS9Mkmd9EmvQLN4.png

Reference to Morphling:

MH1 - On Thin Ice
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    To me, it's weird that they keep referring negatively to Time Spiral's esotericism. That was a huge part of the charm! This set looks great, but it's annoying that everything needs to be focus-grouped into a sheen even in a product like this. Like, even in a set that's explicitly made for enfranchised players, we can't risk printing stuff that might give people five seconds of confusion.
    They're referencing cards that people are attached to like Goatnapper, not random jank like Cyclopean Mummy. Seems like a fine adjustment to me.

D7qnu3IWwAAxeX6.png

MH1 - Llanowar Tribe
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    D7r6OY8VUAAJNch

Each of the Llanowar Elves got pumped up enough to become a 1/1

And I actually did make a joke about this in Discord before this was revealed, albeit a 5-mana 5/5 that adds GGGGG.

MTG Salvation shutting down
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    I've thought of off-color entwine costs for a while, so it's neat to finally see them.

I also expected a card to have both convoke and delve, but Hogaak is much wackier than I expected.

In more somber news, MTG Salvation is shutting down. Before the rise of Reddit, this was the number one place to get card reveals and discussion thereof. Even during the first few MTG threads I created on GAF, I was often using them as a source of information. Ever since we started using Discord, I haven't gone there nearly as much, but it will still be weird to see it gone.

MH1 - Mind Rake; Smiting Helix
  • Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
    D70mmgUXsAArt0S.png

1.) I would have guessed that "Mind Rake" was used already
    2.) This is a design that they would never print in a normal set nowadays but totally could have been a common in the 2000s
    3.) Overall, a really cool skill tester/fun design

en_0NXAbKoz4L.png

Very illustrative of the fact that this effect is either B or RW, depending on how you name/flavor it

MH1 - Soulherder; Thornado; Wall of Blossoms
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    I'm not talking about the format-warping ones though. I argued against Counterspell before spoilers were out.

But there are plenty of cool non-format warping ones in Invasion/Odyssey/Onslaught that could slot right in. Pernicious Deed. Undermine. But they were deliberately not putting high profile splashy old cards in the set because well, let the words speak for themselves.

They fundamentally didn't understand what players would be expecting from the "first set to ever put cards directly into Modern".
    I mean if that's the metric we're using, then they did put in old cards like that.

fhmhc8tfqd131.png

D71Ih-jWwAAG7y7.png

xc8qto7kzd131.png

Forgot only the white version of Wall of Blossoms (Wall of Omens) is in Modern.

Status
    Not open for further replies.