Oct 25, 2017
"Preoccupied with a single leaf... you won't see the tree. Preoccupied with a single tree... you'll miss the entire forest. Don't be preoccupied with a single spot. See everything in it's entirety... effortlessly. That is what it means to truly "see."

D3nurU1XoAA4kO5.jpg

I've read many manga the past decade, many of them being amazing and others just OK.
But Vagabond is unbelievably good, the incredible artwork and character exploration is top tier, unrivalled under the sun even.
I've started it many times in the past but haven't put in the time to just read it all. So, during the past few weeks I was itching for something to read and I thought that I should really start it again. The beginning was pretty good, but it wasn't until Shinmen Takezō began his journey under a new name that I truly started to love this manga.
His journey of self improvement was such a great read. From savage beginnings to a wise warrior.
What does it mean to live by the sword? What does it mean to be unrivalled under the sun? What is there to look forward to after you reach the top of the mountain? Is there an end to the spiral of death?
How Takehiko Inoue explores this through characters like Musashi Miyamoto is brilliant but also poignant and beautiful, I only wish he completes this series one day, it'd be a shame to miss out on the final duel at Ganryujima.

If I was to choose my favourite arc, it'd be between the Yoshioka arc and the farmer arc.
Though some of my favourite moments are from other arcs, Sasaki Kojiro vs Koun, Musashi vs Hōzōin, Musashi's encounters with In'ei and Sekishuusai, Kanemaki raising Kojiro and many more.
The art is so damn good, I can't stress this enough. I'll just post some of my favourite panels here.
95rxgcg6a95z.jpg

b7e1ade236ea8da0d4e9844937faab6d.png

vagabond.jpg

f44adf466ce4716ef04edd6014182757.jpg

Anyway, yeah, not the most eloquent review lol. It's not perfect, I think there're some pacing issues, but overall it's a fantastic read. I definitely intend to check out more of Takehiko Inoue's manga, heard Real was good. I could talk about this series all day. I'd recommend it to literally anyone, manga fan or not.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Whether or not the manga will be finished does not take away from the fact that this spiritual journey should be read by any fan of the manga medium. It's about the journey.

Not going to lie this manga just deadened the impact of all other series I've read after it. It's just the manga with the most substance. It's incredible. Panels feel like water color painting or stills from a chanbara flick.

The pages that have no dialogue speak the most words.

This manga hit me spiritually.

OP
OP
SurrenderDorothy
Oct 25, 2017
Whether or not the manga will be finished does not take away from the fact that this spiritual journey should be read by any fan of the manga medium. It's about the journey.

Not going to lie this manga just deadened the impact of all other series I've read after it. It's just the manga with the most substance. It's incredible. Panels feel like water color painting or stills from a chanbara flick.

The pages that have no dialogue speak the most words.

This manga hit me spiritually.
Yeah, agree with all of this. I haven't experienced anything like it.
I can't stop thinking about it, some of those lessons in there will stay with me forever.

Thinking of reading Eiji Yoshikawa's Musashi soon.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yeah, agree with all of this. I haven't experienced anything like it.
I can't stop thinking about it, some of those lessons in there will stay with me forever.

Thinking of reading Eiji Yoshikawa's Musashi soon.

I will finish Yoshikawa's novel sometime.

I think what stood with me most, beyond the visceral action and beautiful imagery and compelling story, were it's themes, particularly that of self-improvement.

I'm not kidding when I say it's something I'm trying to follow now. That spirit of the samurai (minus the violence). But I mean that calm, present, focused feeling.

I picked up Takuan's book, The Unfettered Mind. Might be a good time to go back to it.

Deleted member 9932

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope Inoue one day somehow has the motivation again to go through it one more time and end the story. Reading impressions about Inoue's last manga exhibition left me wanting go through that same experience.