Quinton

Staff Writer at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
EDIT: THIS TOPIC CONTAINS MASSIVE SPOILERS. SERIOUSLY, DO NOT READ IT IF YOU HAVE NOT COMPLETED THE GAME!

Join me and flash back to your own forays into one of the best-reviewed games of all time. Join me on a journey of my own self-discovery. Join me, friends, for a post destined to inspire hundreds to scroll down, blink at its size, and exit the thread posthaste.

I have listened, and I have heard, the Breath of the Wild.

the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-title-screens.jpg

I harbor no delusions of grandeur. I do not believe that anything I am about to say has not been said before. This is a game that quickly became one of the medium's greatest zeitgeists, and that zeitgeist has echoed and reverberated for nearly two years. What I hope to accomplish today has a humbler goal. I am a writer. It is not within my character to experience a life-altering event and carry on living without writing about it. I do not feel complete until I have expressed myself in some literary way. Perhaps, then, this review is based upon selfishness. Ideally, of course, at least a few of you will enjoy the ride. I don't care so much whether or not you enjoy the presentation, the words themselves; what I'd like is for the fans of this wonderful game to wax nostalgic when they read my rambling quest for closure. If I inspire at least one of you to look back upon your own journey and smile, well, I guess I'll smile too.

In the final weeks of winter, in the year of our Lordess Emilia Clarke Two Thousand and Seventeen, the Nintendo Switch came roaring into the world like a lion. Apprehension surrounded the machine after the infamous failure of the Wii U to move the financial needle nearly as well as its company -- and, indeed, the industry -- had hoped. There were those who believed the Switch was destined to become king. Whether they looked to the promises of the latest upcoming game in the time-honored Legend of Zelda franchise or they were excited by the prospects of the system itself, they never gave up hope. Perhaps they didn't even care what anyone else thought. They had owned and loved the Wii U for years. But if Nintendo was going to get back into the playing field in a big and meaningful way, the Switch had to come out swinging.

Spoilers: it did.

nintendo-switch-reveal.jpg

Alas, I was nowhere to be found for any of this. I had been recovering from the literal worst year of my life in 2016 and I was neck-deep in a paid political fundraising gig out in Lincoln, Nebraska. I was living with a friend and his girlfriend at the time, and I won't bore you with the details except to note that the household dynamic was… poor at best. I hadn't stopped loving video games but I had completely lost the drive to play them.

Still, the buzz was palpable. I lurked the internet even then and I couldn't click two pages without bumping into the swirl of excitement encircling the Switch's successful launch and the new Zelda game's rave reception. "This is impressive," I remember thinking, "but surely the buzz will soon simmer down. Maybe there's a honeymoon phase here. I don't doubt that this Breath of the Wild thing is good but there's always another shoe to drop." The ten-out-of-tens kept pouring in. "Well, it's great to see this title doing so well with the critics. But sometimes these things don't go over quite so universally well with the fans." I might have made a passing Last Jedi reference if I had been capable of time travel at that point in my life. (Does this phrasing suggest I'm capable of it now? I'm afraid that's beyond the scope of this article's intent.) And yet, as I spent fifteen or so minutes a couple of times a week to taking a glance at websites like Reddit and NeoGAF, the enthusiasm didn't diminish. "Maybe there is no other shoe," I pondered. It would be a long time before I was afforded the opportunity to test that hypothesis.

With the help of two absolutely precious friends, I was able to move to North Carolina and, slowly but surely, get the physical and psychological help I needed such that I could return to my long-abandoned college studies. And at the tail end of September 2018 I purchased a Switch secondhand. I received Breath of the Wild for free from one of my old Tampa friends, popped the cartridge into its slot, lifted my Pro Controller off of the household's table-turned-makeshift-TV-stand, and at last we colonized Mars.

No, uh. I started a file on Breath of the Wild.

latest

Somehow my earliest hours with Breath of the Wild feel like a veritable lifetime ago. Being confined to the Great Plateau? Following the advice of an old man who looked suspiciously like Wind Waker's King of Hyrule and even more suspiciously like Santa Claus? Going to a scant four shrines and gaining four Sheikah Slate abilities within the course of two hours? But you know, there is one moment that feels closer than all the rest.

images

Just as everything changed when the Fire Nation invaded, so too did everything change when Link was handed the paraglider. In the most recent episode of CBS All Access' Star Trek: Discovery, Saru -- delightfully played by award-winning actor Doug Jones -- tells Anson Mount's fresh spin on legendary Captain Christopher Pike that "you never forget your first jump." The context is different but the quote has added resonance. Four months ago I jumped from the Great Plateau for the very first time. And, as this entire paragraph has clumsily illustrated, I will never forget my first jump.

I imagine many players struggled with the decision of which direction to choose for that first jump. There was a vast world of over a dozen regions completely unexplored and they all seemed to dwarf the Great Plateau as a dog would dwarf an ant. As for myself, the decision was simple. I had been told where to find Kakariko Village. It was suggested to me by, as I had correctly predicted, the ghost of Santa Claus that I ought to head there first to learn more about the events that had transpired while Link endured his century-long slumber. I jumped off the cliff which most directly faced the yellow blip on my wild and untamed map. And that was that.

1200px-BotW_Kakariko_Village.png

"Oh wow," I said aloud. I turned to one of my aforementioned precious friends and said, "It's nice to see that this is another Zelda game with a fully-formed hub town. Sometimes I'm a bit let down by a lack thereof." I reckoned Kakariko Village was Breath of the Wild's Windfall Island. I'd come back here often. It would be my central nexus, however relatively eastern it was in mundane technical truth. I suppose I was at least right about one of those things. I did return here often. Of course, I was entirely mistaken to think this was the one big unifying hub town. It wasn't but a dozen or so more gameplay hours that I came upon this terrifically-designed settlement and stared in shock:

020.jpg

By then I'd already met a few koroks, discovered several shrines, initiated a number of sidequests, slept with Kakariko Village's arrow merchant (don't, uh, don't tell Zelda, I guess), began setting out to unlock Link's long-lost memories, thrown at least ten cuccoos for no logical rhyme or reason, questioned why a UFO was flying high in the western sky at least twice as many times, gotten frightened almost to tears when a stone giant emerged from the ground with great suddenness, scared a horse and tamed another, paraglided more times than there are days of the year -- yes, even Leap Year -- and had a blast through it all. I was committed.

Prince Sidon left a quick mark, inciting me to fits of chuckling. An elder detested me, a king of kingly size and stature had delighted to see me, and soon enough I had taken to the open water riding on Sidon's back in a bid to infiltrate my first Divine Beast. I navigated my way through the Beast, battled my first Ganon shade, found out how much the dearly departed Mipha wanted to flipper the flip out of Link, and so my journey continued.

050.jpg

I scaled mountains so hot my Sheikah Slate just flat-out gave up on telling me the temperature.

maxresdefault.jpg

I met the oddly-evolved descendants of old friends from a long-ago era.

2017030620263800_F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.0.jpg

My jaw gaped.

1*WQkw7Wa_SV_aryj6stjcmw.jpeg

So.

zelda-breath-of-the-wild-0007-1500x844.jpg

Many.

Zelda_E3_5pm_SCRN06_bmp_jpgcopy.0.jpg

Times.

I cross dressed my way through a bazaar and Solid Snaked a ninja tribe.

2017031021274400-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg

I warmed up to a cast of fun and goofy characters who had met tragic ends one and all.

maxresdefault.jpg

I felt for a princess who struggled with her destiny.

maxresdefault.jpg

Hell, I even arranged a marriage.

900x.jpg

There were many fearsome foes. Some challenged Link with steel.

Red-lynel.jpg

Some challenged Link with weather's great extremes.

zelda-botw-mt-hylia.jpg

Some just went straight for the heart.

Zelda-Header-2.jpg

Everywhere I went there was beauty. Every new mountain to scale, every fresh forest to find, every enemy encampment rich with fun new bows to shatter at the next one. In the industry, we sometimes say that an adventure game's world lives or dies by its breadth, diversity and believability. I have no apprehension in saying that post-apocalyptic Hyrule succeeds unequivocally in each of these key ways and more. 190-odd hours had flown by and yet out here in reality it had been months. Almost every night after school I'd come home, boot up my file, and run. Whereas my initial decision on which path to take when departing the Great Plateau had been a simple one, I'd often hang around the local stables for a good long while before knowing whether I wanted to venture north, south, east or west.

017.jpg

jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

The sun began to set. I played through the late-game questlines and gained access to some rad new toys as well as deeper insight into those whose lives had ended when Link's eyes first shut closed. My trusty Sheikah Slate had all but finished buzzing to alert me of nearby shrines. I revealed the final region, climbing the final tower. (It was the northwest snowfield region, for the record.) I even met a fellow in a secluded cabin up there in the cold and lonely north who looked so much like Santa Claus that in the final telling I accepted the fact that that other guy was the last king of Hyrule. 45 more hours were added to my playtime in the meanwhile, and each and every one of them made me feel like the sun was drifting closer and closer to the horizon. Night was falling hard and fast on me.

There are many words and phrases in many different languages which have little to no English equivalent. In Japanese, komorebi refers to "the sunlight shining through the leaves of trees, creating a sort of dance between the light and the leaves." I purposefully waited to make my ascent into Hyrule Castle until a great thunderstorm appeared overhead in the cold dead of night. I felt no more komorebi and I needed that to be emphasized.

latest

In select Zelda games, there is a fateful duel between swordsmen at journey's end. As Ganondorf does not figure in Breath of the Wild's version of the timeless cyclical tale, the final battle was fought between man and manifestation. The Hero of Hyrule drew his Master Sword against the twisted abomination of pure malice...

latest

...and a long-suffering princess awakened the full extent of her long-denied destiny to avenge the loss of the Hyrule she so desperately adored.

the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-review-0037-1500x844.jpg

For all the nearly-unanimous praise Breath of the Wild rightfully receives, I have seen it said that its ending is a letdown. Briefly I pondered whether or not I might say the same thing, as the credits began rolling scarcely three minutes after Zelda's lethal achievement. Zelda had asked if Link remembered her. "That was touching," I thought, "but short as hell and static, but I can live with it. Especially in light of those fairly strong rumors around these parts of an iterative sequel coming in 2020." The credits rolled, beautiful music played, and then two more scenes unfolded -- one after the words "The End" appeared on screen, even! While it's true that they were both filled with Zelda monologuing about the shape of things to come (I mean, it's not like she's going to get much by way of backup vocals from her beau) I thoroughly enjoyed them nevertheless. And no reference to the the game's ending would be complete without mentioning how it felt to watch the four fallen Champions break into pretty little blue bits of light like so many monks. I had interpreted those pretty little blue bits of light as spirits at peace fading into the netherworld forevermore each and every time I saw those monks vanish. Seeing it happen to Mipha, Daruk, Revali and Urbosa wasn't easy, but their peace felt more than earned.

From the lands to the sounds to the overarching narrative to all the charming little character stories, from Stasis to Magnesis to Cryonis to Amiibo, from Faron to Eldin to Hebra to Gerudo, from Kas to Beedle to Sidon and even to those scandalous Great Faeries who may or may not have taken Link for a late-night swim without his verbal consent, from hour 1 to hour 50 to hour 235, Breath of the Wild never disappointed me. I have traveled almost the extent of my entire country by way of uncomfortable Greyhound bus, seen dunes and canyons and rivers and valleys so beautiful you just wouldn't believe it unless you'd been there, seen our very galaxy reflected back upon me alongside thousands of stars in a majestic countryside nighttime panorama, and I can think of no greater praise than to tell you that I now count my virtual journey through Hyrule among these life-changing times.

There's another Japanese phrase with no direct English equivalent that I'd like to share before we part. Mono no aware. "The bittersweetness of a brief and grading moment of transcendent beauty." Perhaps it seems foolish of me to say such a thing after spending four months on this journey. Yet I would argue it still applies. In many ways, for all the longest nights and earliest mornings spent picking up my Pro Controller and continuing my adventure, my lasting thoughts will be that the transcendent beauty I encountered along the way was all too brief.

Breath of the Wild is, without the vaguest hesitation, my favorite video game of all time.

maxresdefault.jpg

Oh yeah. And Phantom Thief, here's my damned write-up already. ;)

Last edited:

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
The most inviting open world game that has ever been conceived. After logging nearly 200 hours into it, and completing every shrine and completing my personal goal of getting the green tunic and the Hylian shield, my immediate thought was that I wanted to just do it all over again and jump right back into it. No other open world game has ever gave me that feeling before.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, that was one HELL of a good read. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us!

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is one of the greatest video games of all time and your piece is yet another reminder of why.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
What a write up dude holy crap. Reading it and seeing the pictures indeed revoked memories and how I felt at the moment. I always felt such a zen feeling when I would start the game. I feel like the game is so perfectly executed in feeling at home and at the same time it being unsafe. I love it.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
That was such a good read! I don't have much to add, but I'm really glad that you got so much out of this beautiful game. It's one of the best games ever made, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Fuck, I NEED to replay this game.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Hands down...

One of the greatest games ever made.

Bravo on the OP, I do not have the time to go back, but your OP did enough for me.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Very good OP. I wish the shrines that opened with the dragon scales had something more substantial than what we got

That was such a good read! I don't have much to add, but I'm really glad that you got so much out of this beautiful game. It's one of the best games ever made, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Fuck, I NEED to replay this game.

your free time disagrees with this

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing write-up. Breath of the Wild is a very special game in a Modern Era of gaming.

The sense of awe it instills are second to none and it deserves every ounce of praise that it's gotten.

The scary part is that it can be even better..

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Most fun to explore open world ever IMO. I have some issues with the side content (and to a lesser extent, the story, though I felt that was perfectly fine for a Zelda game) that keep me from saying it's an all timer though. My 2017 GOTY though and quite easily in my top 10 of the gen.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic OP. Does a great job of explaining why this game was so special.

Best adventure game I have ever played. Mostly because for much of it it felt like my own adventure.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just earlier today I was listening to Hateno Village remixes on YouTube and thinking about how this might be the first game since the N64 that managed to recapture that feeling of a world where I didn't know all the rules, where anything could happen. I honestly expected to live the rest of my life without another game that made me feel that way.

BotW2 will never manage to live up to it. But boy I hope I'm wrong.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic write-up

As other people, i want to replay it again haha one of the greatest game of all time, nintendo really knocked out of the park

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
Thank you for this.

BotW was a strange and wonderous companion when I was having a difficult time navigating life. Ill always cherish my time with it and the adventure I'll never forget.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Well fucking said. Great read, OK. Thank you.
I'm replaying for the first time myself, and experiencing DLC for the first time. It's a fantastic game.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be even better. BotW is such an amazing foundation to build upon.

people always say this but I'm skeptical

Breath of the Wild gave me a feeling I hadn't felt in decades, that childlike sense of wonder. that I hadn't felt that feeling in so long speaks to what Breath of the Wild accomplished and also how difficult it is for even the best of games to invoke that feeling.

it is for sure a great foundation to build on and perhaps the next one will be another instant classic and its many individual elements will be "objectively better" and yada yada

but that first time playing through Breath of the Wild? I'm under no illusion that any game will ever make me feel that way again and I'll be here waxing poetic if one ever does

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Very nice writeup.

It's so hard to play other open-world games now after playing BOTW. I just played a few hours of Assassin's Creed: Origins before giving up. What an awful, tedious, soulless game. AC:O is everything wrong with open-world games. I hope more open-world games can be fun, inventive, and enjoyable like BOTW.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
So, am I missing something, or did they blatantly forget to put a fishing pole in this game? There's rivers and ponds and lakes and seas and fish that swim in them, but there's no way to fish aside from blowing them up or making a wonky ice pillar.

Been playing RDR2 and just being in a gorgeous landscape fishing made me think of OoT and I was about to switch to play BotW, but then remembered there's no fishing pole.

What gives?

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
So, am I missing something, or did they blatantly forget to put a fishing pole in this game? There's rivers and ponds and lakes and seas and fish that swim in them, but there's no way to fish aside from blowing them up or making a wonky ice pillar.

Been playing RDR2 and just being in a gorgeous landscape fishing made me think of OoT and I was about to switch to play BotW, but then remembered there's no fishing pole.

What gives?

There's no fishing pole, correct. Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, another method of fishing is just to grab them as you swim near them like how you can grab insects and crabs. It's that method being so accessible that probably made a fishing pole unnecessary.

Last edited:

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017

What gives?
Bombs are better than fishing rods

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Bombs are better than fishing rods
Not when i want a relaxing afternoon or evening of just fishing.

This is about as relaxing as it gets, unfortunately. (This can also be done in RDR2)

Also, if there was fishing pole where you could choose bait, it could be used to bait enemies or us to hook hats off folks or all sorts of other systemic shenanigans.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I already declare this the thread of the year.

Can only agree on basically everything you say. It's so far ahead of everything else regarding both gameplay and exploration for me. When other games makes you put down the controller after the credits roll BOTW is made to want you to jump in and play some more, and I'm still playing it, finding new things and ways to play, I still have korok seeds and shrines to find, even after I've seen the ending credits several times. It is by far my best game of all time.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I actually felt the opposite after beating the final boss. I felt much more satisfied in preparing for the fight than I did in feeling like I had a world open to me after. There was just no driving force, no reason TO journey. I keep trying to dip back in, just to do slice of life stuff - like fishing - but just feel hollow. Wildlife de-spawning in relatively short distances or after short durations of "chasing" also hampers my experience. Chasing an animal that just vanishes after 30 seconds, but is still equidistant is discouraging.

Maybe I just need to get the DLC and play on master/hard mode. I only put 90 hours in and there are still areas that are unknown to me. Was hoping one of the DLC would be something that added more small side quests or new areas to explore or other things that build the world out or deepened it, but both just don't appeal to me when I read the feature list.

Shrines and korok seeds weren't fulfilling, but finding the places to take pictures to access memories was my favorite part. More things like that would be amazing.

Pixeltuner

Oct 29, 2017
Great OP :) I've just started a new save. (after 250+ hrs on the first one) It's a shame I can't wipe my memory and experience it all fresh again, but the second time round I can appreciate all the little intricacies, mechanics, carefully placed hints etc. a lot more. It's a lot more deconstructive affair this time although taking a moment to enjoy a beautiful sunset looking out over Kakariko village never gets old :)

And I can't wait to run into Kass again ^^

Dantendo

Oct 27, 2017
South Australia
Not gonna lie, that OP made me want to start a fresh new file. Quality post.

I still remember playing it for the first time, it came at a time where I hadn't touched a game in months due to gaming feeling like a chore. I had lost all interest in open world games after getting spoiled by the brilliance of The Witcher 3.

BotW, rekindled my love for gaming and reminded me why I should never doubt Nintendo.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't stopped playing BotW since it launched. Over 700+ koroks on my original save. Have just finished Vah Medoh as the first beast on a play through with my son. We are taking our time exploring and have ~150 koroks so far. Just maxed out stamina and will begin upgrading hearts. He directs me around and I have him lay out puzzle solutions before we try them, to get him thinking.

It's an astounding game. I must be around 350-400 hours now. And it still impressed me each time I turn it on. There are still places I haven't seen. There are still treasures I haven't opened. Quests I haven't finished. It's a massive achievement.

What makes it more impressive to me is this followed Skyward Sword. Skyward Sword was a solid Zelda entry. The previous few games were solid entries. And I thought that's what we would get from now on: top-tier, but conservative adventure games that didn't do too much to mix up a winning formula. Then came Breath of the Wild. Like, Nintendo... you guys had this in you the whole time?

God, I hope it wasn't a fluke. It's a marvel.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
people always say this but I'm skeptical

Breath of the Wild gave me a feeling I hadn't felt in decades, that childlike sense of wonder. that I hadn't felt that feeling in so long speaks to what Breath of the Wild accomplished and also how difficult it is for even the best of games to invoke that feeling.

it is for sure a great foundation to build on and perhaps the next one will be another instant classic and its many individual elements will be "objectively better" and yada yada

but that first time playing through Breath of the Wild? I'm under no illusion that any game will ever make me feel that way again and I'll be here waxing poetic if one ever does
Well, in my case, the sense of wonder was somewhat muted due to learning to much stuff in the interim.

BotW 2? A brand new world? Improvements and refinements across the board? Me going in fresh and unspoiled on release?

That will be my GotG right there, right then.

Lilo_D

Oct 29, 2017
I really want to forget everything about this game and start it again
Great write OP!

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
That was a wonderful review. Wish i could put my thoughts into words this well. And yeah BotW is a special game, for me in two very specific ways in particular. First i love open world games, especially the one's from yesterday that didn't hold your hand and just put the player into a foreign land without much explanation. I feel devs in the past had greater trust in their players and believed their curiosity was enough to drive them forward into the unknown. BotW harkens back to those times and made me remember why i loved open worlds so much.

And secondly it restored my faith in the console Zelda's again after feeling for the longest time they didn't know what to do with it. Their faith in this game was palpable to me. Really it felt like they knew exactly what they wanted to accomplish with this game and just did it.

Over the last almost two years it has become my favorite Zelda game as well. Before, i put it at the same level as OoT and MM, but with more time between me finishing it, i came to realize that it had surpassed both of them in my mind.

Last edited:

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
If I hadn't liked the game, this thread would have probably made my eyes roll back into my skull.

Luckily I loved the game to bits, and this may well be it's best tribute yet. Thanks for writing that and making me relive a lot of memories (even ones I didn't have but I borrowed from you wholesale), Quinton .

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
BOTW 2 can and will be A LOT better, they just have to improve story, dungeons and more music.
Well, i liked the story quite a bit, thought how the music was used in this game added quite a bit to the atmosphere and i was pretty satisfied with the dungeons. Now, i'm not against adding bigger dungeons and more music and the like. I'm just saying it will be a different experience. Like if we have an overworld theme like in older Zelda's, that will change the character of the game quite a bit. It will make it different, but that doesn't automatically mean better.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wanted to replay this sometime but now that I own an OLED it's basically impossible. I don't want those static, never moving heart containers burned into my screen.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
So who's going to be the first voice of dissention in this thread? Oh crap, it's probably me. I just didn't feel the same magic most other people did oozing from every pore of this game. So, can't really jump all in with the gushing praise.

Great write up though. Carry on with the party.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
I have BOTW since March 2017
I'm at 150 hours, i did the 4 beasts , and i just unlocked the last tower of a region. Around 110 shrines
Still quests to do AND the two DLC before Ganon
This game is so huge