Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I've never played this game despite owning it on steam for years and I've finally decided to get around to it. All the praise has always interested me and I love HK-47 in that little mobile star wars game, apparently he's much better in this obviously so I wanted to see what the hype is about.

I'm in the beginning of the game still, only got to Taris I think is the name of the planet, and my character is being made more towards how I usually do characters in fallout. Which is more charisma and whatever else so I get fun dialogue choices, I don't know if there are a bunch of "bonus" dialogues like that in this, but I wanted to try it out.

Anybody can give me some tips in how to play it or if there are any mods I should know about? I remember reading that either this one or the second had a big portion of the end of it cut and there was a mod that completely brought that back. So I wanted to know if there's anything essential, also a guide on how to install the mod would help since it's honestly been a while since I've played a modded game like that.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
This brings back fond memories. I remember completing it thinking "now this is the reason I bought an Xbox". Best Star Wars game ever that has yet to be surpassed IMO. Enjoy it OP.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the mod you're thinking about is for the second game, and it is essential.

The first KOTOR also has a restoration mod but it wasn't critical content like in the second, that said it is very cool. If you don't mind starting over I say go for it, since you said you barely got to Taris so that's not a lot of gameplay.

Some tips:
-Taris is the most boring part of the game, stick to it because afterwards the game becomes soooo much better.
-Don't fully go charisma because you'll be fucked towards the end of the game, unfortunately it isn't something like Fallout 1 where you can beat it by just dialog choices.
-Dual wielding sabers is dope as fuck.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the mod you're thinking about is for the second game, and it is essential.

The first KOTOR also has a restoration mod but it wasn't critical content like in the second, that said it is very cool. If you don't mind starting over I say go for it, since you said you barely got to Taris so that's not a lot of gameplay.

Some tips:
-Taris is the most boring part of the game, stick to it because afterwards the game becomes soooo much better.
-Don't fully go charisma because you'll be fucked towards the end of the game, unfortunately it isn't something like Fallout 1 where you can beat it by just dialog choices.
-Dual wielding sabers is dope as fuck.
Charisma boost force abilities tho.

Poohblaster

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Taris is a bit of a slog, but once you get past that the game really starts to shine and become less linear.

Trekkie

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am i missing out on anything by playing the mobile version or is it exactly the same?

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing game! I'm doing another playthrough on my Xbox One via OG backwards compatibility. Just about to leave the planet immediately after Taris.

If you've never played the game, I don't want to get too much into tips/tricks etc. The one big tip I'll give is regarding leveling: There's an overall max character level of 20, when you become a Jedi, you also get your Jedi level - so you'll have your overall level and Jedi level. The more levels you progress to prior to becoming a Jedi, the less levels you'll be able to have access to as a Jedi due to the level cap of 20. Example, if you're level 8, then the max Jedi level you'll be able to achieve is 12 (for a total level of 20). If you're level 5, then you'll be able to get to Jedi level 15. This may be important, as there are some Jedi powers have 3rd tier requirements of Jedi level 15.

There's plenty of guides available if you need help. There's a lot of old school RPG vernacular present in the menus that I had to look up since I'd forgotten what that stuff meant.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
KOTOR is my favorite game of all time. Number 1 since the day I beat it. A friend in middle school bought it for me for my birthday - to this day, no idea why he spent $60 on a game for me, but I appreciated it. I didn't know what it was, but I liked Star Wars so sure. Put it in my Xbox that night around 5pm after school on a Friday with my friends over. Played till 6am. Beat it before Monday. Instantly declared it my GOTYAY and it's never been dethroned.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
True, but Wisdom does it just as well and other bonuses unless you're going Jedi Consular.

That said, I'm not suggesting that you can't do charisma, I definitely did it for the fun persuasions. Just that you shouldn't exclusively max it.
Oh, yeah, for sure. Don't put all the eggs in that basket.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome game, my favorite Star Wars game to date. I beat it on the Xbox then on the PC. Excellent title. HK-47 and that reveal still stick with me to this day.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Brotherhood of Shadow was one of my favorite mods for the game back in the day but I can't really remember if it holds up or not.

There is some quality cut content stuff, like Bastila being able to join you on Korriban, but nowhere near what KotOR II requires.

Be sure to pick up KotOR II next btw. That one is one of my all time favorites.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't bother with any fan mods or restoration mods for the first game, it doesn't need it or truly enhance it. The second is much better with the restored content, however.

Just play the game, it's not super hard so you'll be fine no matter what you do :)