Oct 25, 2017
So I finally got around to watching Ratatouille. I've heard quite a few people describe it as Pixar's best film, and while I definitely don't agree with that. I do think it's one of their best. I was skeptical of it at first but it soon grew on me. A big part of the reason was actually because I really loved the setting, I think Paris is such a cool city and the way it's depicted in this film was really amazing. I also liked the unconventional plot of it being around cooking, and the ending of the film did hit me in the feels. One thing that surprised me was all the guns in this lol. Was not expecting the old lady in the beginning to start blasting off her shotgun in the beginning or the scene with the lovers and the pistol. I may be wrong but I don't recall guns being used in any other Pixar film, much less 2 scenes with them so that kind of took me off guard lol.

I do have a few subjective complaints. The first is, I fucking hate rats. I'm sorry but mice/rats are by far my least favorite animals. While watching this I was reminded of why I never watched it growing up. Around the time this film came out my house had a pretty bad mice infestation, which created a deep seated hatred of the animal in my family. So even when it eventually came out on TV we never watched it. Some of the scenes, like the beginning when the lady's roof caved in and all the rats feel out, or when the mice swarm the health inspectors car completely disgusted me. And I know it's ironic complaining about this, considering this is also one of the main plot points of the film but seriously fuck rats. Another issue I had was, that I didn't really like the 2 main characters. They both kind of came off as unintentionally douchy to me. Even towards the end of the film, I don't think I could say I really 'liked' either of them. I did really like the supporting (human) cast, though. Colette was cool, and I thought Skinner made a solid villain, Anton was actually imo the best character in the film and I think I got the most emotional at his development towards the end.

But yeah overall, really liked it. Solid film.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
with all due respect OP it's absolutely Pixar's best film

the fact that you enjoyed it even despite your rat hatred demonstrates its insurmountable strength

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Yeah, it's great and it's my favorite from Pixar.
I hate french (the language, sorry FranceERA) but that song at the end is just the cherry on top. What a beautiful film.
Most of Pixar's last magnum opus didnt connect with me (both WALL-E and Up) but Ratatouille is one of my favorite animated movies of all time. I like it even more than Toy Story.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Sorry as long as Toy Story and Toy Story 3 exist, I can't give it that position.
274.jpg

actually the cool thing about pixar is that there are few wrong answers

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite film ever. Endlessly rewatchable, and no draggy pacing in the middle like every other Pixar film.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I love it. This movie really gives me a cozy feeling.

Love the setting and the characters, and the overall message is so good.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
little known fact, pixar movies that came out after steve jobs died don't count

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
It's Pixar's greatest, ya gotta love the details like oven rack burns on the forearms of the kitchen staff

Plus Colette I mean c'mon man, she's something else, that motorcycle

Love the setting and the characters, and the overall message is so good.

The message is beautiful, anyone CAN cook

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
My favorite Pixar movie. Always makes me hungry after watching it

Anton Ego's speech at the end is so fucking good

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations. The new needs friends. Last night, I experienced something new, an extraordinary meal from a singularly unexpected source. To say that both the meal and its maker have challenged my preconceptions about fine cooking is a gross understatement. They have rocked me to my core. In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto: "Anyone can cook." But I realize, only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere. It is difficult to imagine more humble origins than those of the genius now cooking at Gusteau's, who is, in this critic's opinion, nothing less than the finest chef in France. I will be returning to Gusteau's soon, hungry for more.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
I always thought it was overrated. It's like a midtier Pixar at best (which is still like 8/10). I would rank at least Toy Story 1-3, Wall-E, Inside Out, Coco and The Incredibles above it.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Definitely one of Pixar's best, alongside Toy Story 3, Wall-E, Inside Out and Coco.

Good lord, almost everything they do is fantastic.

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
Coco is easily my favorite at this point, but Ratatouille and The Incredibles each had a long run as my favorite Pixar film when they came out.

Toy Story 3 is still the biggest tearjerker though. Inside Out is a real close second.

if the the first act of WALL-E were a short film it'd be Pixar's best work

Also yeah I can agree with this. The first half of WALL-E is pure art, and then it just falls off a cliff in the second half.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
a lot of Era users seem to think I'm actually a raccoon in real life, which is of course patently ridiculous

I'm in fact a rat who's been driving a man for over a year now