Haxik

Oct 27, 2017
I had never watched Penny Dreadful and have been catching up over the past few weeks. Right now, I'm at the beginning of the third season. After what I felt was a drop in quality and a slight change of direction in the second season, it became clear to me that this series would have been fantastic in an anthology format.

When I talk about a change of direction, it's because, in my opinion, the second season turns into a soap opera where romantic relationships between characters take precedence above all else. Or rather, sexual relationships, since they barely develop. There isn't a main character who doesn't get paired with one or several characters throughout the season, and overall, I feel that the series opens up secondary plotlines that it stretches throughout the entire season only to hurriedly wrap them up in the final part.

This, among other things, makes the characters' stories somewhat lackluster. Dorian Gray, for instance, still seems to me like a totally supplementary character who adds very little to the ensemble (and, by the way, is quite poorly portrayed by a really bland actor). The combination of all these characters, their relationships, and the overarching plot makes the series, in my opinion, feel somewhat aimless and tries to cover too much without being satisfying, as they stretch plotlines over ten episodes that could be resolved more deeply and satisfyingly in a single dedicated episode (like the police investigation into Josh Hartnett's character, for example). In fact, the episodes focused on a single character (The Creature, Victor, or Vanessa) seem to me the most remarkable in the entire series.

For this reason, and because I think the series truly shines when it reinterprets myths, folklore, and literary figures such as vampires, werewolves, witches, Frankenstein, or Dorian Gray himself, I would have loved a proposal much more centered on that, with each season revolving around one of these pillars, while intertwining and connecting characters between them. It would even fit much better with the format of the classic Penny Dreadfuls from which it takes its name.

I just hope that, at least, the third season ends on a high note.

Lemony1984

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 7, 2020
I guess they kind of tried this with the follow up series (City of Angels? Or something like that) but sounds like it wasn't great.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Remember enjoying season 1 and the rest not so much, ended up finishing it due to me having loads of spare time for some reason.

ukas

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a long time since I've watched it, but the last season was probably the
worst.

Azzazel

Oct 25, 2017
That show came out too soon. Imagine all the tiktok edits it would have if released today.

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
You are in for...quite the ride, OP.

GoT was a much bigger franchise, obviously, and therefore had more people bemoaning the ending but I would argue that few other creators treated their audience with such utter disdain as John Logan when he ended Penny Dreadful. I literally laughed out loud when the phrase "The End" came up on screen. It remains the Goth equivalent of

giphy.webp

Sir Wiart

Mar 11, 2024
Canada
Watched S1 when it first aired and one of the best horror origin material I've been. Tied with Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

MattyK

Feb 24, 2024
Eva Green possessed sex scene with Satan is my fav nsfw scene in cinematography, lol.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
The end of this show is such a travesty.
Just a middle finger to the audience.

OP
OP
Haxik

Haxik

Oct 27, 2017
I have finished it. And yes, the ending is an absolute disaster.

What a shame. The first season works very well, in the second they decide to turn it into a soap opera and the third separates all the characters in uninteresting and stretched plots to, in the end, put the closure in a rushed and sloppy way.

And, by the way, I have seen few series with characters as totally dispensable as Dorian Gray here. It never ceases to feel standalone, in a negative and totally uninteresting way, from the rest.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Penny Dreadful is less than the sum of its parts. Great cast, good look, some good storylines, but in the end it's just kind of a sexy Victorian monster mush.

I still enjoyed it though

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I just hope that, at least, the third season ends on a high note.
Oh boy, do I have bad news for you

Fake edit: ok I see you watched it. Yeah that finale was a disaster, one of the worst endings I've ever seen and soured me on the entire show. Vanessa got character-assassinated so badly :(

Mister Ursine

Sep 10, 2023
I quite enjoyed 2/3rds of it. Season 3 was mostly fine until the end. It's funny because nobody knew that was the series finale until the night it aired. The producers and network announced it right after the episode lol

Dorian sucks but his story is intertwined with Lily, who has my favorite arc on the show. So I can give him a pass.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
John Logan made a horrible mess out of the ending. The drop in quality from S1 was pretty shocking. Even S2 was fairly dull at times. Eva Green remained fantastic, especially that bottle episode in the mental institution.