UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just done with NFS Unbound and I thought it was worth discussing a bit.

For starters, the good :
- the game looks great. I mean, after HEAT that looked good at night but horribly bland and muddy and last gen during the day, Unbound managed to take a much better approach with its art direction for the world, both in the city and outside, during the day and the night. It not as good looking as NFS 2015 at Night (that art direction that game was god tier) but at least its vey enjoyable during the day and offer lots of variety in landscape, from the city (Chicago) the fields and the mountains.
- I really like the art direction overall, the anime characters ? I didn't care much, but I enjoyed the driving effects, they are flashy but not distracting. I also enjoyed the game focusing heavily into heavily modified cars throught full body kits, with the legendary customs behing bonker stuff, sometimes going for scifi looks, sometimes madmax, sometimes hardcore dyi racing. Its refreshing to see a game leaning to heavily into car mods but not only from the Underground like tuner scene. I mean look at this :

maxresdefault.jpg

image-5-44.jpg

Sure its overdesigned, too busy and obnoxious, but it is a statement. Its fun to see devs go all in for once in a genre where the brand usually are iffy about damage and mods.

- The progression system is very open ended. You play want you want. Sure the calendar and deadlines are here to structure your progression but if you feel like grinding you can, if you feel like skipping ahead because you feel ready you can too. Dont like drifting ? Never do a drift event ever. Very permissive progression. Good stuff.
- The driving : THANK GOD they gave up the stupid HEAT model. Driving feels good, you can tweak with a slider if your car grip or drift more (depending on the parts that slider will go be able to go more on one side or the other) and drifting is something you have control on. You are also rewarded for grippy turn with boost so no loosing team here. Good stuff.

Overall the game looks great, feels great to drive, lets you play your way and have tons of shit to unlock on the map with rewards for completions, just like old times.

Now the less good stuff :
- this game is all risk no reward. By the structure of the HEAT gauge, the more you play the more risky it is for each day (day + evening) and there are no reward for it, as an event at 0 heat will reward you the same as a 5 heat win. And escaping pursuits gives jack shit in comparaison even in late game.
- Police cheats, of course, but it gets old, fast, when you see a cop out of nowhere, casually driving down at 300+ kph just to get you in his cone of vision the LAST second of your escape progress. It happens all the fucking time, it feels so fucking artificial when you are sitting under a roof far from heli sight and just wait with engine off for the escape bar to empty.
- I'm sure the teammates aren't program to ram you but they WILL crash into traffic that WILL crash into you. Many many times I've seen an AI just go off its way to hit a traffic car and that will veer into my path and I'll crash without being able to do anything lol
- the game economy is REALLY rought early on. the money is very tight and the game force you to keep some to progress for a deadline in the first week... it can be very frustrating. Also, I'm not sure why the engines are more expensive when swapped into a more expensive car. Makes no sens, its the same engine lol I didn't end up buying anything, just playing with the cars the game gave me (the one you can race to win) and upgraded these, it was expensive enough to stay on track with the progression.
- No rewind. I know I know. Forza Horizon spoiled us, but listen, when you get that much random traffic and that much weird collision and physic glitches, give us a rewind option in the open world, outside of events, when we grind for the Stars for the speed zone / speed camera / jump challenges. The set up for these can be frustrating to re do again and again when you get a random bump making you loose grip.

Overall, I'd say its the most inspired, fun and varied NFS in the past decade. Its taking the best from Most Wanted 2012 and 2015, its not handling or looking like shit like HEAT

I'd recommend it, good fun.

GiveMeCoins

Sep 4, 2022
I totally agree on your points here. This is the first need for speed that I actually had fun with since hot pursuit 2010. I started off on hard mode and had fun but the ai of the opponents and the cops was driving me insane. I was dumbfounded to find that hard mode just limits retries. I don't gain extra cash or parts. Bonkers.
I set it to easy which I believe loosened things up with the the ai but the cops were still nuts on high heat levels.

Overall this game is so close to perfect for me and in the end, despite cop frustrations this is a great nfs game

Hero Prinny

Oct 25, 2017
The really aggressive cops and how the heat gauge works is why i didnt end up playing past the trial you get on gamepass but I do agree its pretty fun.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
- I'm sure the teammates aren't program to ram you but they WILL crash into traffic that WILL crash into you. Many many times I've seen an AI just go off its way to hit a traffic car and that will veer into my path and I'll crash without being able to do anything lol
*laughs in midnight club 2's psycho racer and traffic ai*

- Police cheats, of course, but it gets old, fast, when you see a cop out of nowhere, casually driving down at 300+ kph just to get you in his cone of vision the LAST second of your escape progress. It happens all the fucking time, it feels so fucking artificial when you are sitting under a roof far from heli sight and just wait with engine off for the escape bar to empty.

ive mentioned this before but EA seriously needs to do something more with the cop chases. theyve included them in every game for the last decade and never really improved it. there either annoying or too easy. they really need to go back and play need for speed most wanted 2005 for inspiration on how to reinvent the cop chases because they suck rite now. the cop chases could really use a sand box approach to how their designed but they seem to continue to resist doing anything more with them.

squeaky

Oct 26, 2017
Best NFS in ages, I think. 100%ed the achievements which I rarely ever do. As for the AI hitting traffic to hit into you... this is a super valid strategy online, too :D The takedown system is so hard to use but trapping players with traffic cars is so satisfying!

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I thought it was really fun and played through the end of the story. Once I got the hang of the handling it became incredibly fun to play. Drift tuned cars were my preference over grip, but once you get to the highest tier you have to go grip if you want to keep up.

I'd play some DLC in a heartbeat but I highly doubt they'll do anything.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
It was good. But got super repetitive towards the end. Cop chases especially got really annoying.

Online mode was meh. Forcing you to play certain amount of races with certain cars to unlock other cars kinda sucks.

I think Need For Speed should just copy Forza Horizon at this point. Maybe set it in an interesting location like Japan.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
It was good. But got super repetitive towards the end. Cop chases especially got really annoying.

I think Need For Speed should just copy Forza Horizon at this point. Maybe set it in an interesting location like Japan.

Yes it got repetitive.

And i dont get why racing game dont copy forzathon. Weekly challenges, rewards, new monthly cars to get in the weekky challenges, force you to play different cars, styles, events with different settings...

Its very easy to do as the only content to create are new cars, the rest is just modifying parameters for existing events and challenges.