Plum

May 31, 2018
god-of-war-chains-of-olympis-button-1641590933835.jpg
god-of-war-ghost-of-sparta-button-1641590929380.jpg

Full spoilers for both Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta. No other spoilers from other titles should be posted here. Thanks! :)

This thread is the third in a series of LTTPs detailing my time with all the mainline pre-Ragnarok God of War games. The other threads are here:

God of War (2005) - https://www.resetera.com/threads/lt...eaming-the-quaint-and-great-beginning.657970/
God of War 2 - https://www.resetera.com/threads/lttp-god-of-war-2-an-objectively-superior-sequel.665113/
God of War 3 -
God of War: Ascension -
God of War (2018) -

So... two more God of War games played until completion:

FlKWfYJXoAEVPAU
FlKWfmkWIAANVCj

And, really, I'm not sure what to think. These games felt so inherently tied to their era, to the restraints of portable gaming and prequels, that neither have truly left that much of an impression on me either way. They're not experimentally janky yet surprisingly well-done like the first game, nor are they polished grand adventures like the sequel. They're just... God of War games, and that's a weird thing to feel right now, as I move on to an entirely new generation in the series. As such, I chose to write about these games in a singular thread, instead of singular ones like the other, Santa Monica-developed titles. Without further ado:

Chains of Olympus

If both of these games are fairly forgettable, then this is the most... forgettable. Now, that's not to say there aren't merits here. In the context of a PSP game, the game looks very impressive - being closer to the PS2 original than I really thought it could have. However, whilst the graphics are close to the original, almost everything else is as well. The game, despite offering a fair amount of 'new' additions to the gameplay, is very much identical to what came before - warts and all.

However, if this game is to have an identity of its own, it's that it's very much the God of War formula cut down to its very core. Puzzles are incredibly limited, platforming is - jokingly - almost non-existant, and the environments are really as basic as one could ask for when coming from that first title. There are literally only three bosses in the entire game, even. One of them being the obligatory - and kind of stale at this point - opening level boss. Now, these aren't necessarily a bad thing... but in this case it kind of was. Every level being a series of combat sequences, followed up by linear corridors and basic climbing sections, does not evoke the same feeling of adventure and grandness as the original. Similarly, whilst God of War 2005's bullshit moments were just that, they were also similarly memorable, and also occumpanied by some truly inventive and unique moments to boot. There's just... nothing like that in this game. With the 'non-combat' gameplay really just amounting to a very, very basic mirror puzzle. Something that can be excused given the portable origins, but is definitely harder to deal with in 2022 on a big 4K TV.

maxresdefault.jpg

Though, despite that, the game is still that same God of War action, and that's still really fun in its own right. This time, however, I had to play on Hard (Spartan, God, Titan, whatever it's called this time lol) Mode to get the Platinum and, man, did this get frustrating at times. This being portable, the camera was as much of an enemy as the enemies themselves - notably so given that very few of the returning, and even new, enemies felt as if they had been balanced to accommodate for smaller arenas and a limited camera. Similarly, this game - being the first one I beat on Hard - highlighted a fairly major flaw in the entire series' combat for me. That being how, due to the extreme lag after rolling, the high numbers of unblockable attacks, and the propensity to getting stun-locked by enemies, the combat is just... not that fluid. There are so many combos, but because of those above issues you barely - if ever - really make use of them. Often enough going for the tried-and-true Square-Square-Triangle. Whilst some combat encounters were satisfying to beat, I honestly cannot say that I had a better time here, than in the limited camera-space of Norse God of War.

Despite all that, there is still a story in here. One that... just happens. It's there. It does its job. It was very clear to me that Ready at Dawn did not prioritise story in this as, overall, there's less story than the very limited one found in the first game. Kratos defeats some Persians and then, suddenly, the sun falls out of the sky and smoke starts spewing everywhere. 5 minutes later the smoke ain't a problem anymore (seriously though, when I got the trophy for "Defeating Morpheus," I was baffled) and... now you gotta go get some primordial fire... and now you gotta escape from Hades again... and now Persephone was the villain all along! Things just kind of happen with Kratos himself having barely any agency. Even the final choice - of whether to stay with Calliope for like five more minutes before everyone dies, or save the entire world - is a dumbass choice only a Life is Strange fan could appreciate.

However, this story isn't without any merit. It did give us one of the most unintentionally hilarious QTEs of all time:

5de.gif

"Mash O to push your child away," is as absurd as the bombastic music playing behind a moment that's supposed to be touching. Whilst I must admit that these games have a more nuanced story than simply "KILL GODS!!!!"... I'll never say that they're great at tones.

Oh, and fuck the final boss fight and its unskippable cutscenes.

Ghost of Sparta

Now... is this to Chains of Olympus as God of War 2 was to 1? Yes, and no. Yes, because like God of War 2 it manages to improve in a significant number of areas. Most of which being the general presentation and the story, which I'll talk about in a moment. Genuinely, I am shocked that this was even possible on PSP. It sometimes legitimately has better technical artistry than some modern Switch games, and that's not a console-war hyperbole moment. The game manages to capture almost all of the scale seen in God of War 2, with graphics that managed to get framedrops (and screen-tearing... something I do not miss in modern times) from the PS3. It also, unlike Chains of Olympus, presents a significantly more diverse range of locales. Though with the weird downside of things getting all Dark Souls 2, where all of the following images feel like they're placed literally right next to each other:

ghost.jpg
3722424.jpg

4576131989_dd95be621d_b.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

(Again... this is all I could get. Google is legendarily shit at finding decent screenshots of games...)

It was also interesting to see some - fairly rudimentary - attempts at creating truly cinematic set-pieces. Of course this is a post-Uncharted God of War, so it makes sense that they'd be here, but it's still surprising to see what is - at heart - a PSP Game doing shit that's even at half the level of those titles. So, yeah, whilst the game looks the part... I'm honestly not sure whether it plays the part. The "arenas are too fucking small yet too big for the camera," issue is still here and worse than ever because, for some god-forsaken reason, Ready at Dawn decided to add more unblockable and nearly undodgeable grab attacks. The wraiths this time are even worse than usual, especially on hard where a single grab can take a quarter of your health bar even with the most rapid of mashing.

Whilst Chains of Olympus was the God of War formula cut down to its very core, this was... not that. Platforming is back, with climbing sections, parkour sections and more being significantly more plentiful. Set-pieces are, as mentioned above, much more frequent. Locations are more varied. There's more bosses. And so on. However, to me, this all felt like Ready at Dawn was translating the God of War formula whilst still heavily limited by the constraints of the platform. Climbing sections are many but incredibly brief. Puzzles are, again, very very limited. Bosses are often just regular enemies but with a new skin and a few new moves (though this is a problem inherent to all the games, I'm starting to think). Locales are brief and you never get to 'know' them like you know the Islands of Creation, or Pandora's Temple.

Now the story is a definite improvement over the original. Kratos had some agency, for one. His motivation of finding Deimos is, at the very least, something that's set up from the beginning - instead of set up in the final level of the entire game. However, it still very much feels like all the worst aspects of how these Greek games tell their stories, without many of the positives to back them up. This is mainly seen in how pretty much all the characters Kratos meets along his journey are more plot points than anything. Deimos, this game's entire reason for existing, has two scenes. One where he gets angry at Kratos. And another... where he gets angry at Kratos before immediately forgiving Kratos only to die moments later. Kratos' Mum is literally just a quest-giver. Thanatos, despite having more lines than Ares, is really just there to be a final boss. It's becoming quite obvious to me just why Sony Santa Monica, and Sony in general, wanted to move towards more deep and lengthy narratives... because there really isn't much to go on in either of these games.

It's also clear to me that both games really, really struggled with trying to fit themselves into the relatively closed stories of 1, 2 and 3. Neither are truly consequential to the plot (for 3 I don't know, but I'm assuming not), and many of the story elements are forced into place by characters acting like utter dumbasses. See: Ares and Athena capturing Deimos instead of just killing him right then and there. Both definitely feel like side quests.

Now...

75sw3v.jpg

Seriously though... it is weird. This time it's the "press up to throw your ghostly childhood self at a mirror," QTE. One that you have to do four times in a row. Each time, just lobbing that child into that mirror until it finally cracks. Just... how odd.

Platinum/Challenge of the ____ Thoughts

Generally, these two did not serve that much of a challenge when it comes to getting the Platinum. None of these games do. However, I must admit that the "Challenge of the Blank" things are getting a little long-in-the-tooth. Not because they're not satisfying, but because there's always that one that is just fucking bullshit. In these two, those are the ones in which you have to defeat a number of enemies without being hit once. Something that is fine in the modern GoW games as, despite the limited camera, every attack is telegraphed well, there's little in the way of random ranged bullshit, and dodging is significantly more viable. In this though? You just have to kind of cheese it. Be very patient and lay that cheese down like it's macaroni. It's just not fun at all. What I'm basically saying here is that these things:

Can fuck off.

Ghost of Sparta's trophies also had some of the weirdest ones there. The "Make her scream," trophy - where you have to make a titan scream for an entire minute - was as annoying as it was childish. Less annoying, but still incredibly childish, was the sex minigame related trophy - with this being the most bombastic one of them all - and the mandatory collectible you received by doing it three times in a row. I tells ya what that was not a comfortable trophy to get whilst I had family in the house for Christmas, nor was it really comfortable in general. But I'm not really at liberty to make a full judgement on them, so I'll leave that to others. Not annoying, but still grindy, were the trophies that required you to just grind a shitton of kills in the Combat arena. Literally no challenge but I still had to do them for that sweet, sweet Platinum.

In general though, I am questioning a little whether my desire to get a Platinum for all these games - in as short a time as possible - is truly a good one. I am following a guide for each one to make sure I don't miss any Gorgon Eyes or Feathers, and after the first two games I'm having to play these on Hard for the very first playthrough. Yet, despite that, I don't think I want to go into 3 and Ascension by abandoning that idea... so I won't. Unless there's something awful in either of those games that means I won't want to do them. In that case, feel free to tell me them here.

Concluding Thoughts

The portable God of War games are a weird bunch. Now that 'portable-only' consoles have been practically dead for years at this point, they represent a breed of games that simply doesn't happen anymore. When a smaller title arrives, it's very rare and - often-enough - just as bombastic and impressive as its parental title (see Uncharted Lost Legacy). These inherently limitedand small experiences are simply not a thing anymore, with DLC perhaps being the only real substitute. Honestly, I don't know whether I miss them. Playing them in the modern day, they're very much a "completionist's" game. One for weirdos like me who want to play all of what a series has to offer when they get the desire to play through them. Yet, I can imagine that back then (I was alive then, but I was mainly a DS gamer), games like these were nice to have, and impressive in their own right. I don't know, and despite this being the longest LTTP thread so far, these games are definitely going to be kept in my mind as more historical relics, than the epic adventures of the PS2 games.

Oh, and I gotta say that it's nice being able to play these natively. Streaming was OK, but even at the 720p these games run at the image is just so, so much better when playing on original hardware. If I ever have any desire to replay these games, I'll definitely buy the first HD collection on PS3 (if the store's still up by then...).

Now... Ascension or 3 next? Ascension is, technically, worse than 3 (and the only one I'll have to suffer through at 30fps...) - though graphically it's the best-looking Greek saga game. It's also another prequel, something that might be a bit weird to play after finishing the entire saga. However I've already played a post-3 game in Ghost of Sparta, so perhaps I should go back and play that instead, given that it'll likely be a step down in some areas compared to Ascension. I don't know, and some help here would be appreciated :D

Thank you for reading! Expect the next LTTP on whichever game I decide to play next... sometime next year.

Last edited:

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i have a lot of disdain for ghost of sparta. annoying encounters, annoying story, bad puzzles, bad set pieces. i prefer the more scaled back chains of olympus. i thought it better succeeded in what it set out to do

other random thoughts:

just ignore trophies lol. why subject yourself to boring grind just for a digital trinket. instead of playing through the game naturally, you're sitting with your nose in a guide the entire game just to ensure you're not missing anything. that's not how most games are designed to be played

god of war 3 has really good bosses. ascension has one really good boss, and the rest are pretty good. on the other hand, i think the core combat mechanics against non-boss enemies are better in ascension than in the rest of the greek series. they made some changes that were controversial, but i think they were big improvements

Returners

Oct 25, 2017
Ready at Dawn pulled off some magic with these games.

While they don't have the impact as the main games, there's story points here that affects the future.

Ragnarok spoilers

I would play them in order OP, 3 followed by Ascension, you also have the GOW3 remaster to play instead of on the PS3.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
i have a lot of disdain for ghost of sparta. annoying encounters, annoying story, bad puzzles, bad set pieces. i prefer the more scaled back chains of olympus. i thought it better succeeded in what it set out to do

other random thoughts:

just ignore trophies lol. why subject yourself to boring grind just for a digital trinket. instead of playing through the game naturally, you're sitting with your nose in a guide the entire game just to ensure you're not missing anything. that's not how most games are designed to be played

god of war 3 has really good bosses. ascension has one really good boss, and the rest are pretty good. on the other hand, i think the core combat mechanics against non-boss enemies are better in ascension than in the rest of the greek series. they made some changes that were controversial, but i think they were big improvements

Ready at Dawn pulled off some magic with these games.

While they don't have the impact as the main games, there's story points here that affects the future.

Ragnarok spoilers

I would play them in order OP, 3 followed by Ascension, you also have the GOW3 remaster to play instead of on the PS3.
Thanks for the replies!

I've decided to play 3 first then Ascension. Makes the most sense as, outside of the technical aspects, it'll be the same trajectory I went in for the PS2 and the PSP games. Got it downloading now! :D

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
Honestly I love Ghost of Sparta, it's my second favorite of the God of War games behind 3. I never played the console port, for whatever reason it's not on the new PS+ service with all the other GoW games >_>, but on the handhelds it's great. I appreciated how they really brought the challenge in the harder difficulties, where as CoO feels less punishing.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
I really like Ghost of Sparta, the sub-weapons are all really fun in that one. Doesn't have the scale of the console entries entries but I remember the bosses being pretty decent.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
IMO Ghost of Sparta is one of the best God of War games (my favorite being OG God of War 2) and Chains of Olympus probably is the worst. Actually it is. A completely forgettable experience.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
At the time, Chains of Olympus was absolutely astounding to behold on a handheld.

It played great, looked great, and ran great. I must have beaten it four times during my college winter job at a ski resort operating lifts.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Damn...how do you pass the Challenge of Gods where you have to destroy every destructibles stuff in less than a minute?? It's the only trophy I'm stuck at for platinum and none of the youtube videos helped. It's been 2 months!!!!

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
Damn...how do you pass the Challenge of Gods where you have to destroy every destructibles stuff in less than a minute?? It's the only trophy I'm stuck at for platinum and none of the youtube videos helped. It's been 2 months!!!!
It's still very challenging, but you need to use the gauntlet to quickly destroy the outer items before destroying the inner ones with quick combos from the blades. Spend a few tries learning exactly how many hits it takes to destroy the Gorgon Statues and such, then do not go over that amount of hits.

Frankly I had a lot more trouble on the "no-hit," challenge. Did cheese tactics with the gauntlet's powerful slam attack, but since Kratos spends an entire Greek epic's worth of time standing around after every single one, it was pure luck whether I got hit or not.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
They are both amazing titles and I love how short they are I have finished them quite a few times because of that. They are excellently paced.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
Ohhhh shit, I completely forgot to add this little side note into the OP:

OK, so it's not often that a game's shadows - if they're not outright glitching - takes me out of the experience. Here, though? Yeah, it kinda did in both games lol.This was mainly when Kratos is doing a double jump. Due to the low-poly character model, and a shadow map that I presume removes any of the dynamic elements from said model, the shadow ends up looking like one of these:

71W8qukOcmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It was oddly distracting throughout my entire time with both games. Maybe the original two PS2 games had it as well but I just didn't notice because of streaming.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
these two games really add some much needed depth to Kratos which made me go "yeah, he's still a shithead but he gets screwed over so many times"

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I think Ghost of Sparta is maybe my favorite of the series, in no small part that the opening of God of War 3 is essentially the finale of Sparta.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I enjoyed both of them when I replayed them a while after launch. They look gorgeous uprezzed and indeed are legit imo better looking on the whole than a lot of recent Switch games lol *cough ScarletViolet cough Bayo 3 cough*. Both are pretty short ~4-5 hour experiences too like the console games and eminently playable. I also remember enjoying the story elements quite a bit but it's been a while.

They're in that camp of portable versions of games that were super impressive, not as good as the console titles, but still good and I wouldn't be mad if someone say I had to play them again. Same sort of camp as Metroid Prime Hunters which is another game that feels like sorcery on the DS both in terms of how much of the console titles was implemented as well as the stellar multiplayer that was entirely new.

Shame that RaD didn't really do much with Sony IPs after the order. Though the VR games iirc were meant to be really quite well received.

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
I finished them both two weeks ago (going through my gow backlog), and they were fine. It's a smooth, yet bit bland ride. Then I played ascension and even though it was much more bombastic in terms of visuals and environnements I immediately missed those psp games overall controls and gameplay.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
I finished them both two weeks ago (going through my gow backlog), and they were fine. It's a smooth, yet bit bland ride. Then I played ascension and even though it was much more bombastic in terms of visuals and environnements I immediately missed those psp games overall controls and gameplay.
lol, I've only got Ascension left now (working on the God of War 3 LTTP atm) and this does not bode well. I hope I haven't left the worst for last...

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
lol, I've only got Ascension left now (working on the God of War 3 LTTP atm) and this does not bode well. I hope I haven't left the worst for last...

I can't speak to how it compares with the GOW games you just played (Funnily enough I'm just about to start them), but I had fun with Ascension!

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
GOW 2 and 2018 are my favorites, followed by 3, CoO, GOW1, Rag, GOWA, GoS.

I wish there was a way I can play without emulation or hooking my PS3 up. It's ridiculous that we can't play this series locally on PS4/5.

Also, what's up with Kratos's overly large hands in Ascension?

Ascension is a weird one, like nobody was asking for another prequel after GOW3. I think a hypothetical GOW4 set in Norse on the PS3 in the style of the old games would have been the way to go and I doubt the series would have been shelved for so long.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I still have Ghost of Sparta sitting on a shelf unplayed, Chains of Olympus was alright but like a lot of a handheld adaptations the control limitations are annoying. On PSP, using the shoulder buttons and a direction to roll feels very cumbersome compared to simply flicking the right analogue stick.

Sequel Thread is Out!
OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
Just a bump to say that the next thread in the series is now out:

www.resetera.com

LTTP: God of War 3 - A True Epic, for Better and Worse LTTP - Sony

Full spoilers for all GoW titles released before 'Ascension.' No other spoilers from other titles should be posted here. Thanks! :) This thread is the fourth in a series of LTTP threads detailing my time with all the mainline God of War games pre-Ragnarok. The following threads are here: God...

This time, we move into the next generation...