Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
Alexandria, Egypt
The-Lord-of-the-Rings-The-War-of-the-Rohirrim-Variety-Exclusive-16x9-1.jpg

About:

The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim is an upcoming animated fantasy film directed by Kenji Kamiyama from a screenplay by Phoebe Gittins and Arty Papageorgiou, based on a story told in the appendices of the novel The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien. It is produced by New Line Cinema and Warner Bros. Animation with animation production by Sola Entertainment. A prequel set 261 years before the events depicted in the 2002 film The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, it stars Brian Cox as Helm Hammerhand, a legendary King of Rohan. Also starring is Miranda Otto, reprising her role as Éowyn from the live-action The Lord of the Rings film trilogy.

An article detailing the animation challenges:

Perhaps one of the buzziest event at the festival, the presentation for Lord of the Rings: War of the Rohirrim stressed the scale of its undertaking — marrying the immense detail and western aesthetics of J.R. Tolkien's fantasy series with the eastern aesthetics of anime, as director Kenji Kamiyama (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex) put it. Produced by Jason DeMarco, SVP of Action and Anime at Warner Bros. Discovery and executive produced by Philippa Boyens, a co-writer on the original trilogy, the film is intended as standalone, a tragedy lost to time and separate from the Ring or Sauron.

The nature of that story is reflected in the source material, just a few passages from Appendix A of Lord of the Rings, specifically its section on The House of Eorl. It's set during the reign of Helm Hammerhand (voiced by Brian Cox), a king of Rohan who built Helm's Deep, the famous location from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. A session moderated by DeMarco provided more artwork and detail.

Four Things We Learned:

The story is about the wreckage of war: The team were pretty happy to give away plot details – speaking candidly about its tragedy; it's all in the texts after all. Boyens called War of the Rohirrim a story about "the wreckage of war." She also teased the film's front-heavy structure, in which "one of the biggest battles comes at the end of the first act… and then where do you go?" The answer was one that she said Kamiyama helped to shape, as it becomes a story about "supernatural grief" that becomes akin to a ghost story.

War of the Rohirrim will be seen through the eyes of a mostly unknown character:

Though Helm Hammerhand, the creator of the fortress Helm's Deep, will be a familiar one to Lord of the Rings fans, the film's protagonist will be lesser known ‑ one who until this point is only called "Helm's daughter" in Tolkien's Appendices. One of the reasons why they chose Hera (voiced by Gaia Wise) for the film's subjective perspective was a pragmatic one: "everyone else dies," Boyens says. But also because they felt Hera was a more interesting figure to follow through a feudal, patriarchal warrior culture, and as a figure who only vaguely exists in the texts. With the character's portrayal, the team stressed a combination of vulnerability and hardiness, and that they didn't want her to be a "standard-issue warrior princess."

Director Kenji Kamiyama:

They filled in the gaps by going back to what they interpreted as Tolkien's own influences for the Rohan, in early Anglo Saxons. Hera herself is inspired by Æthelflæd, Lady of the Mercians, a similarly buried figure in English history. Other characters were more defined by Tolkien's text, such as the main antagonist Wulf — but the team still put their own visual spin on him: "he does pretty bad things, so he better be someone beautiful," Kamiyama relating the feedback from his design team.

The film will return to several familiar locations from Peter Jackson's trilogy:

Set roughly 200 years prior, the team had to figure out how both create visual consistency with the film series while reimagining what these places would look like. To do so, they consulted Wētā Workshop, pulling old CG models of the locations from their archives as well as consulting with designer David Falconer. Also working on the film at a concept and design level are John Howe and Alan Lee, illustrator who worked as concept designers on Jackson's original trilogy. When talking about the decision to make an anime production of Lord of the Rings, Boyens spoke of her desire for a more realistic style of animation, but also questioned simply slotting the characters we already knew into a new medium, so the team worked on a balance between visual consistency and creating something that felt unique. Helm himself feels like a visual basis for this on a character level, embracing a highly detailed art style with a bend towards realism.

Horses were among the team's biggest challenges to animate:

One of the biggest challenges came simply from the nature of the Rohan themselves as horse lords, and the sheer number that the team would have to draw, and "even just drawing one is…" Joseph Chou trailed off. To remedy this the animation crew was sent to a horse farm to "film it, experience it, be scared", before using CG animation as placeholders, and Unreal Engine to simulate scenes and experiment with different camera angles, before using hand-drawn animation for the final result. Similar methods were used for human characters, using a combination of CG models, live action reference and real-time simulation for the animators to interpret (but not to rotoscope, they stressed).

Two exclusive clips showing rough animation were shown, to highlight showed how these methods worked in concert. The film leans into visual familiarity to start, with traditional Lord of the Rings voiceover and a shot of a weathered map, before moving into camerawork emulating Jackson's sense of scale and reverence for mountainous landscape as Hera rides a horse through rocky hills. The second sequence was more subdued but also busy, full of characters talking in the halls of Edoras, with some of the aforementioned placeholders.

Kamiyama said that the project was one of his largest ever undertakings (and in the moment, as though to sympathize, the laptop showing the presentation on it displayed 'low battery'). The resultant work seems full of visceral detail, the quick and intense promo that closed out the presentation laced with flashes of dismembered limbs and arrow wounds and, of course, plenty of hand-drawn horses.

Release date:

Either April 2024 or December 2024 depending upon the source.

1_LOTR_WOTR_TT-jpg.webp

Will it be a worthy addition to the Tolkien adaptation canon? Or will it falter and join the ranks of disappointing Tolkien adaptations?

Lifejumper

#1 Celtics fan / #7 Serbia fan
Oct 25, 2017
The movie sounds interesting and is probably gonna look great. Looking forward to it.

Jun 11, 2023
I'm excited but cautiously optimistic. For me I don't feel like there has been any decent LOTR stuff since the trilogy ended. The benefit this has is that it's self contained and not in multiple parts.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
I'm very curious about how the animation itself will look. I assumed before that it would be purely CG animation but it seems it will be largely 2D?

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
There is very little source material so we'll see what stuff they come up with. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Kinthey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm very curious about how the animation itself will look. I assumed before that it would be purely CG animation but it seems it will be largely 2D?
Yeah it'll certainly interesting coming from this studio since they've only done CG productions so far which often didn't have a great look. Appleseed, Ghost In the Shell 2045, Blade Runner Black Lotus etc.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I don't really know what to make of it, to be honest. I've suffered through so much bad media based on Tolkien stuff (and no I don't mean Rings of Power, that show is far from perfect but also far from the worst thing to come from LOTR as a media property) that at this point if this sucks it'll be like... alright, another one for the pile.

But I'll be there Day 1. I will always be there Day 1.
Because what if.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I have no expectations. If it's great, I'll be pleasantly surprised; if it's bad, I won't be too disappointed.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
We were all burned pretty hard by Rings of Power, so I'll have to wait for someone else to watch it and tell me if it's good or not.

Is it a film or a series?

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
I had no idea this was coming out. Probably will see it out of the theater though.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
First I've heard of this and right now I'm not interested. That might change if I hear good things after it's released.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Oh I had no idea how linked it was to the Jackson trilogy. I figured it was a 'oh we have the visual rights to this so let's slap them on something.'

I'm cautiously optimistic. Kind of feel like it'll wind up being either perfectly ok or phenomenal.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot about this. I'm not sure what to think but I'm definitely going to watch it.

Bengraven