Hoodbury

Oct 27, 2017
My commute home is around an hour and I get hungry and need something to give me a little wake up energy burst to drive that everyday. Currently I eat Reeces peanut butter cups and I have like 3 or 4 of them on my way home. I should probably have something a little more healthy. (obviously) Anyone have any good driving snacks? Here are the requirements:

1. Has to be easy to eat while driving so no silverware needed or messy foods. I'm in my work appropriate clothes so I don't want to get them full of stains.
2. Doesn't need to be refrigerated. It's going to be sitting in my car all day. (I do have underground parking at work so it won't be baking in the hot sun at least)
3. Has to be healthier than the reeces I'm eating now, otherwise I'd just stick to reeces, since I love them, lol.
4. Has to have something to give me a little energy or caffeine to wake me up for the long car ride.
5. Has to be sold in a way that will last me for about a week of driving. I grocery shop once a week to restock.
6. I don't want to have to prepare it beforehand each day. Should just be ready to eat.
7. Has to be gluten free. (sorry this will probably make this tougher)

I'm in the US so has to be a food for sale in the US at a normal grocery store.

OP
OP
Hoodbury

Hoodbury

Oct 27, 2017
luke warm water for a snack to give me energy? no thanks.
That's a good option, but would they give me a little boost I need like chocolate does?
I have an apple for my 3:00 snack actually so don't need another one.
I'm not familiar with this, do they need to be refrigerated after opening?

OP
OP
Hoodbury

Hoodbury

Oct 27, 2017
The Granolar bar type responses are also good ones. I like the Kind bars and sometimes have those for breakfast. I should have also said a requirement isn't something that will ruin my appetite for dinner which I eat pretty much when I get home. I don't think a little Kind bar would do that but I don't want to fill up.

Oct 28, 2017
homer_car_acessoriese0ked.jpg

Gushu

Sep 29, 2018
Nuts like Almonds, Walnuts, Pecans, Peanuts.. Or a mix with dried fruits?
I also like to eat mini Salamis when i travel.
Fresh fruits is always good too!

OP
OP
Hoodbury

Hoodbury

Oct 27, 2017
get chocolate pretzels
Hmm, now we're talking. Do they have them gluten free though? Just finding a bag of regular pretzels that are gluten free is pretty limiting at the grocery store I go to.
how about a dried fruit like craisins
I do like craisins but I'm not sure they would fill me up enough without eating a lot of them which would give me a stomach ache. Mixed in with like a trail mix would work though but then I'd have to prep that.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of the energy/boost is mental, not an actual phsyiological requirement. I've got between a 50-70min commute and I used to buy one of those KIND bars leaving work because our vending machine has them for cheap ($0.50/ea), and I'd eat thm about half way thru, and then convinced myself I needed them... but I didn't. It was a mental dependence, not a physiological or physical dependence.

A tall cup of cold water might also do the trick if you're being more health conscious. Especially if you're eating an apple just a couple hours before leaving work, it'd be unusual to require that much more food to stay awake or alert.

malus

Oct 30, 2017
I often have a bag of (unsalted) nuts in my car. For the energy boost I would also mix it with dried fruit.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Kind bars are reasonably healthy, store well, and gluten free. I'm a honey roasted nuts and sea salt kind of guy.

91RzM8JE4oL._SX522_.jpg

Edit: looks like I'm not the only one.

OP
OP
Hoodbury

Hoodbury

Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of the energy/boost is mental, not an actual phsyiological requirement. I've got between a 50-70min commute and I used to buy one of those KIND bars leaving work because our vending machine has them for cheap ($0.50/ea), and I'd eat thm about half way thru, and then convinced myself I needed them... but I didn't. It was a mental dependence, not a physiological or physical dependence.

A tall cup of cold water might also do the trick if you're being more health conscious. Especially if you're eating an apple just a couple hours before leaving work, it'd be unusual to require that much more food to stay awake or alert.
Oh believe me I also think this or know this. That's part of the reason for wanting to get off of the Reeces. I know as soon as around 4:45 my brain and stomach are already anticipating them and start to take over me. If I could get down to just drinking water or having a little dried fruit or something I would, but I think I need to work down to it gradually.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
3-4 Reese's cups per day? Damn dude yeah you need to get off that. It's not good at all.

Eat some nuts and an apple.

As someone else said I kinda doubt you actually need the energy. It's probably mental and addition. And if you do something healthier should be much better for good energy rather than a big sugar bomb.

My normal workday eating
OP
OP
Hoodbury

Hoodbury

Oct 27, 2017
3-4 Reese's cups per day? Damn dude yeah you need to get off that. It's not good at all.

As someone else said I kinda doubt you actually need the energy. It's probably mental and addition. And if you do something healthier should be much better for good energy rather than a big sugar bomb.
Well, it's really only 3-4 days a week. I work from home 1-2 days so I don't eat them then. Besides the Reeces peanut butter cups, I eat pretty healthy on work days. Here is my work day eating schedule:
Breakfast - gluten free oatmeal 1/3 cup.
9:15 morning snack - multi-grain cherrios and a small serving of plain almonds.
11:15 lunch - A gluten free lean cuisine frozen lunch, banana, another small serving of almonds.
3:30ish - apple
5:00 - road trip home reeces.

edit* for drinks on work days I drink 1 can of dt. Mtn Dew on my car ride into work, otherwise I'm drinking water all day long at work and have water with my breakfast oatmeal.

I appreciate all the responses and suggestions! I think I am leaning towards just buying a box of Kind bars.

Last edited:

Gushu

Sep 29, 2018

I agree, sugar and also caffeine makes tired like crazy after a short energy high. Try to reduce that stuff and you might not need a snack while commuting at all

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
Have you considered just picking a few things you're interested in trying/know you enjoy instead of asking people on the internet what you should eat?

Good on you for trying to drop your daily dose of reese's peanut butter cups, but but I find the entire premise and your meticulously crafted rules pretty funny for what's going to amount to either one word responses or "how do you people function/why can't you be normal" posts

OP
OP
Hoodbury

Hoodbury

Oct 27, 2017
Have you considered just picking a few things you're interested in trying/know you enjoy instead of asking people on the internet what you should eat?

Good on you for trying to drop your daily dose of reese's peanut butter cups, but but I find the entire premise and your meticulously crafted rules pretty funny for what's going to amount to either one word responses or "how do you people function/why can't you be normal" posts
I thought long and hard about whether I should click post or not when I created it. But I find people on the internet are great for coming up with suggestions you would never think of yourself on really anything. People on the internet are great resources. Have you ever considered asking people on the internet for anything? And so far I don't think anyone has accused me of not being normal have they? Most have given pretty good suggestions. Plus nothing wrong with a little good humor while on my lunch break for those that brought some humor to the thread.
This, and if you care about beef you can always get Turkey jerky or even salmon jerky.
Beef jerky or any jerky really would also be a good idea but it is usually pretty expensive and the fact that it is so good I don't know if I could buy a bag of it and not devour it in one sitting to make it last the week. That was kinda the issue with the reeses, it started with just eating 1, sometimes 2 if I was really hungry and they are so good that it grew to 3 or 4, heh.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Pretzels or a bag of mixed nuts/berries.

Almonds, Cranberries & Cashews mix at Trader Joe's is $5.99 and should last you 4 car rides.