Oct 31, 2017
I'm not really picky when it comes to genres I enjoy. Really. I can even enjoy some country songs (although I have to say there isn't a single rap song I like).

But if I have to be honest I love listening to video game music, orchestras, JPOP, and pop and contemporary R&B. Oh and Daft Punk lol.

I just prefer saying "oh I don't listen to music"

I just get insecure because I pretty much never know what anyone is talking about :p

Anyone else?

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I have the privilege of loving pop and not worrying about my conventional masculinity

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Personally no. My music is obscure and I just dislike the vast majority of current popular music. I just know that I like what I like and don't care what anyone else thinks.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I turned off the sharing what I'm listening to thing in Apple Music. I don't really know what I like at all so I just try different things and feel weird about my friends seeing it for some reason.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I used to when I thought it meant the difference between me being cool or not. I grew up listening to punk music and thought everything else was shit. I still love punk to this day but I'm more likely to be listening to Lady Gaga or Cher before the Dead Kennedy's or Bad Religion. I don't care who knows it either.

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
When I was a kid and going into Tower Records to buy CDs and music videos, I felt a little embarrassed or shy going up to the counter, especially considering I listened to music that was not fashionable at the time (R.E.M., Talking Heads) but now I couldn't give a care.

Like what you like, love what makes you happy. That's all that matters when it comes to music.

MortosDer

Oct 27, 2017
I try to be polite and not go too hard on my stuff when I'm with people . But it has to something I know and enjoy so... no. I'm not

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
i judge people who don't listen to music (or say they don't) more than i judge people who just listen to video game music or w/e. at least they like something.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Music is just a bunch of tones arranged into various melodies. It's all noise depending on who you talk to.
Don't let culture or fads keep you down, be yourself and enjoy what you enjoy. As long as you're not being obnoxious about it, who cares?

Also it sounds like you have really diverse tastes, be proud of it.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I was until a few years ago and then I completely stopped giving a fuck.

edit: I guess I didn't really begin to care until late teens early twenties since I bought a lot of shit as a kid.

Oct 25, 2017
There's music in just about every genre that people will enjoy. Some people just have to dig deeper in certain genres than others.

Often things like video game music have just as many sub-genres as traditional music, and can be a sort of gateway into exploring more of other genres.

There isn't any real reason to be ashamed or insecure about music taste. You might get weird looks from others if you only listen to K-Pop, and will kind of just refuse to listen to any other music like a friend of mine, but most people aren't extremely well-versed in music. The only thing I'll say is that you should probably try to be a good sport if you're with friends and they're playing music they like, exceptions include blatantly not beginner's friendly music a la Death Grips or Danny Brown or something.

Final point is that if you're insecure about maybe not having much to say about certain genres, sites like Rateyourmusic have just about any album or song you can think of cataloged, and many users who will put artists you like into lists with similar artists for you to try out.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i like a little but of everything so no

i do 'cater' what im playing to the crowd tho.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Not at all insecure, but I am also old enough to have hit the "I don't give a shit what people think about ____" level.

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
Nope. I like what I like, and that ranges from Peter Paul and Mary to Sister Rosetta Tharpe, from William Orbit to the Mountain Goats, from Kacey Musgrave to Low. I don't really care if other people like what I like.

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Don't be insecure! Music is super subjective and your taste is absolutely fine. When you break it down, the foundations and patterns found in tend music to be pretty similar regardless of the genre. The people that try to put you down for your taste are likely just miserable inside. There's no reason for it. I avoid most music-related discussions as a result of that. Someone's taste is not bad because they like 'x' album or artist over the other.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Nah, I like the obkectively best music. Mountain Goats, TMBG, Austropop, J-Rock, Talking Heads...

But seriously, no reason to feel insecure. Its all good.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
Me i dont know why ,like when im at work i have my earphones very high so i can hear them without having them in my ear and when Hall and oats or micheal Jackson song comes on i skip.

Unspoken90

Oct 28, 2017
Used to be, but now I don't care.

When I was a kid I was ashamed to admit I liked stuff like Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears, and for the longest time I would refuse to acknowledge that I still have a soft spot for corny late 90s/early 2000s Nu Metal.

Now I just listen to whatever makes me happy.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
I used to be. I like a lot of niche artists and bands. A lot of them get shit on despite pumping out great music over the years. I stopped giving a fuck though. I like what I like and someone disliking it isn't going to change that.

One thing that helped me quite a bit was going to concerts. Being around people who like the same music you do is empowering.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
You sound like you have a relatively diverse taste in music.

Now I will go toe-to-toe with someone to argue about music, it's pretty much the only kind of internet argument I still go all in on these days. But really it's just because it's fun to argue about music.

I have been known to shit on Jpop and Kpop on occasion, but it's really not even the music, which is always well produced(sometimes too well produced, but eh that's modern pop music) and usually smartly crafted enough. it's more the business model/lack of artistic agency from the stars.

I'm much more dismissive of people who try to explain why X song is objectively trash, and it's clear they don't actually know shit about music and instead just have some beef with the artist or aesthetic(i.e. "rap isn't real music"). Or someone who's trying to tell me that taylor swift is actually a god-tier composer or something. If you just like a bunch of different music because of how it makes you feel...well, that's pretty much the whole point of music.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Maybe a little. Whenever co-workers or some friends ride in my car and nobody's talking, I usually end up putting music on. Sometimes I get the confused reaction.

Edit: Scratch that. Any time I play heavy metal or industrial at the hardcore/metal bar, there's always one fucking asshole who has to say, "You don't look like the person who would listen to that."

Zeshile

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
Kansas
Yes, very. Probably doesn't help that weezer is my favorite band and everyone constantly talks crap about them.

inb4 "Only Blue and Pinkerton are good"

I think a big part of my insecurity was judging other people's music taste and thinking they were doing the same to me. I've been getting a lot better about it though as I embrace more genres and start listening to different stuff.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Fuck yeah I am, if (and i really dont want to say this but dont know a better way to put it) "normal" people get in my car or ask what I'm listening to, I just hit them with something that can be accepted by everyone.
Will switch from what I'm listening to some top 100s billboards shit in a flash

activepassive

Oct 28, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Mine is impeccable. Just kidding. I am super into music, but I try not to be a jerk whenever someone is into something I don't really dig.

Don't worry so much about it.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I do not listen to music for recreation or get any enjoyment out of it.

Normally when people find out (after asking me what kind of music I like), I get a bunch of questions and reactions on "how?!". I'm used to it, so I feel pretty okay with my feelings on it.

In general, OP, I would say like what you want to like. You're listening to music for you, not for someone else.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I love just about every genre. If a song is good, I don't care who performed it. Mozart, AC/DC, the Spice Girls, Tupac, doesn't matter to me.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I largely listen to synthwave but keep away from most radio hits music nowadays. So while people won't necessarily call me over to discuss music, they won't complain when they ride in my car and I crank out some perturbator