MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Another day, another Zelda thread from myself, to all of you.

latest

1200px-SS_Crimson_Loftwing_Artwork.png

The Loftwing. A flying mount introduced in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. A creature only seen once in physical form in the Zelda series, yet it's symbol is in almost every Zelda title.

057504b551b23c74b59c8547d0995b51.gif

tumblr_ou0f2u534c1s021dwo2_500.gifv

Look at this thing. It is absolutely oozing with personality. I want one. If Wolf Link can exist alongside you in Breath of the Wild, I don't see a canonical reason not to include a single Loftwing in Breath of the Wild 2. Make it a late game reward. Some mystery that's hinted at by various NPCs and quests throughout the game, leading you to the location of perhaps the last remaining Loftwing, or even a sanctuary of Loftwings where you must choose and tame the Loftwing of your choice.

Imagine the interplay of dismounting the Loftwing into your paraglider, or even dismounting into a slow motion shot with your bow and arrow. Imagine your Loftwing catching you as you fall, run out of stamina paragliding or just paragliding right onto your Loftwing's back in mid-air flight. Loftwings could have a stamina bar and a cool down to keep them from breaking the game entirely. As I said, it should be a late game reveal to really open up one final form of traversal.

hylian_symbol.png

The Hylian symbol itself represents a Loftwing. They deserve to be in more Zelda games.

Here's my scenario for why a Loftwing could be necessary:

Screen_Shot_2019_06_11_at_2.02.36_PM.png

The castle rises into the sky, a flying mass that you cannot reach, no matter how far you advance your skills.

Enter the Loftwing.
tumblr_mdtlijmhi71roi1a1o1_500.gif

Using the Loftwing, you finally advance on Ganondorf's floating fortress.

It would be reminiscent of these scene from an older game:

That's all I got. Breath of the Wild 2 needs more animal friends that can actually become your primary mount. Riding deer, bears, stalhorses or the Lord of the Mountain was really cool, but we need an NPC who specializes in registering unusual mounts.

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, I think if they're going to keep the existing world from BOTW1, they need to have sky and underground realms that you can seamlessly transition between.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I would be fine with this. I really want Botw2 to deliver on all fronts of exploring Hyrule.. Above ground, underground, underwater and in the sky. Let us experience every inch, high or low, of Hyrule.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Who needs Loftwings when you have the flying Magnesis minecart exploit?

OP
OP
MasterYoshi

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I would be fine with this. I really want Botw2 to deliver on all fronts. Above ground, underground, underwater and in the sky. Let us explore all levels of Hyrule.
Some sort of King of Red Lions nod would absolutely push me over the edge of my hype limits. Even if it's just an inanimate wooden boat with a sail.

dorjjj

Oct 31, 2017
Oh yes, I want to traverse a giant underground cave system on the back of a giant, flying bird.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Loftwings rule. The controls were not fun and Skyworld was kind of pathetic, but the birds themselves are still endearing and awesome designs.

That said, a flying mount might break the traversal mechanics. BOTW's vastness is meaningful because it forces you to confront natural barriers and obstacles in the landscape. Flying over those obstacles defeats the purpose.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to be able to ride a dragon in the next game. Hide some islands and stuff in the clouds, open up a whole new realm of discovery partway through the game

Deleted member 3924

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just make it like How to Train your Dragon instead. Birds are for scrubs.

World of Warcraft's mounts were pretty crazy

Last edited:

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Absolutely agree, I hope the team figures out how to implement flying mounts.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
A flying mount would be awesome but I'm not sure the engine can handle it. The Master Cycle already causes loading stutters in many parts of the map. A flying mount would just make things even worse.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
A flying mount would be awesome but I'm not sure the engine can handle it. The Master Cycle already causes loading stutters in many parts of the map. A flying mount would just make things even worse.
Well they might be able to improve the streaming of data for this as it will be solely focused on the Switch. It's a small but potential chance of some performance improvements that could benefit something like this.

Another solution would be to have the "sky" portion of Hyrule operate similarly to SS's. In that it would be a separate plane, though a more seamless one where we can still see the land below, but at such a distance streaming data becomes less onerous. Basically they could require Loftwings to maintain a certain altitude. Similarl to SS where they never venture down towards they land below and only stay up high up in the clouds and floating islands. So we can freely fly around and jump off and use our paraglider to descend, but we can't go below a certain height with our Loftwings.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Gliding and flying around on updrafts was way more fun than flying the birds in Skyward Sword.

It always felt awesome to be falling and slowing down time when aiming the bow.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I expect a lot of BOTW2 to be underground honestly. We're getting back to dungeons this time.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look at those big silly giant Shoebills. I love 'em.

I do agree that it would have to be a seriously late-game thing, but I would love to ride a Loftwing in some capacity again.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Loftwings in BOTW 2 would be great but also present a lot of technical challenges. Riding the motorcycle at full speed in BOTW can already cause the game to freeze up for seconds at a time and pop in would become an even bigger issue.

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Yes bring back Loftwings! Them being late game traversal is a good step in keeping them from breaking the game but I'm sure there are other ways to go about it.

Underground caverns and caves, no flying period. Mountains or giant trees that are surrounded by certain clouds that zap birds dead if you get too close. Maybe later the bird learns a whirl wind move to blow them away. Narrow passages in crevices within mountains that would be too small for a bird to fly near or in. I don't know I'm just thinking of certain environments that could logically hinder flight.

The Loftwing starting off very weak flight wise and you grow it's stamina over time seems like a really good idea.

But Loftwings needs to be connected with the entire world, not condemned to stay at a certain altitude for all eternity.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give me Loftwings with DLC skins so i can make them into those fucked up Twilight Birds

I really want to be able to ride a dragon in the next game. Hide some islands and stuff in the clouds, open up a whole new realm of discovery partway through the game
This i would not want. Dragons are in every fantasy game ever and its nice having atleast one big popular fantasy franchise that almost never has them as a focus in any real way. BotW's dragons are already the best way to use them.

Deleted member 3924

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This i would not want. Dragons are in every fantasy game ever and its nice having atleast one big popular fantasy franchise that almost never has them as a focus in any real way. BotW's dragons are already the best way to use them.

Oh sure, but we ride a horse in every Zelda and thats fine? At least make the Elk nontemporary or something so you can go all Ashitaka

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Loftwings are great, but Skyward Sword and BotW are at completely opposite ends of the Zelda timeline. The latter is literally tens of thousands of years after the former.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh sure, but we ride a horse in every Zelda and thats fine? At least make the Elk nontemporary or something so you can go all Ashitaka
? I just dont like Dragon oversaturation. I would LOVE more unique and weird mounts and stuff, especially like the Elk, Bears, Undead Horses, or the Lord of the Mountain already in the game. For flying types, I think loftwings would be much more unique than a dragon mount.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
No, for the same reasons flying mounts ruined WoW.

Why explore anything or have adventures when you can avoid it all with a flying mount.

Deleted member 3924

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
? I just dont like Dragon oversaturation. I would LOVE more unique and weird mounts and stuff, especially like the Elk, Bears, Undead Horses, or the Lord of the Mountain already in the game. For flying types, I think loftwings would be much more unique than a dragon mount.

The fact that loftwings have already featured in that sense makes them less unique in Zelda. Also if its not unique in your mind that doesn't mean Nintendo's best can't make it so.

Why explore anything or have adventures when you can avoid it all with a flying mount.

Obviously you wouldn't get a flying unicorn at the start of the game nor would Nintendo make exploration redundant. Either it would have stamina or limited capacity in some way. Give Nintendo some credit lol.

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
Want to see the game run at 20 frames that bad huh? The loft wing will have to be slowed down considerably and actually kind of feels weird with intelligent bird species being in the game.

Deleted member 3924

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Want to see the game run at 20 frames that bad huh? The loft wing will have to be slowed down considerably and actually kind of feels weird with intelligent bird species being in the game.

is it weird catching fish when Zora are a thing? The game has a bunch of standard birds and fish already

Lot of assumptions being made here

Whats the alternative, a mostly subterranean overworld? I don't see that happening.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
How about bringing back Aquamentus and making it a mount as a compromise? It is a dragon, but with a sorta horse-shaped body and a unicorn horn. I think it could work as an exotic Zelda mount.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that loftwings have already featured in that sense makes them less unique in Zelda. Also if its not unique in your mind that doesn't mean Nintendo's best can't make it so.

Obviously you wouldn't get a flying unicorn at the start of the game nor would Nintendo make exploration redundant. Either it would have stamina or limited capacity in some way. Give Nintendo some credit lol.
I mean, everyone thinks they can have the cool new take on dragons and its always still the same big fire breathing lizard with wings. Even Dark Souls, and its stone dragons are still pretty generic as far as dragons go.

Who cares if Zelda has already done Loftwings, theyre still unique to Zelda and fairly unique in general. This is like saying "gorons have already been in Zelda, orcs would be a fresh new race instead".

Deleted member 3924

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, everyone thinks they can have the cool new take on dragons and its always still the same big fire breathing lizard with wings. Even Dark Souls, and its stone dragons are still pretty generic as far as dragons go.

Who cares if Zelda has already done Loftwings, theyre still unique to Zelda and fairly unique in general. This is like saying "gorons have already been in Zelda, orcs would be a fresh new race instead".

Httyd dragons are how id imagine them for Zelda, very stylized and imaginative, not DARK SOULS.
(I also think you're underestimating Dark Souls creature designers a whole lot)

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
is it weird catching fish when Zora are a thing? The game has a bunch of standard birds and fish already

Whats the alternative, a mostly subterranean overworld? I don't see that happening.
None of the fish and birds are major mechanics.
And to the second quote my point is unless new info has been released both points are just speculative but come off as known facts.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine all the crazy exploits you can do dropping out from a Loftwing and transitioning to the glider...and then shield surfing.

Jan 3, 2018
As much as I want a more linear Zelda, I think Nintendo's probably going to keep the open ended philosophy and therefore there won't be any new late-game items or mounts.