Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Bungie has said before that they've wanted to do Fortnite-like live moments in the game, and it seems like tomorrow is their first real stab at it. The whole season has been building to the moment of destroying the Almighty before it hits the Earth and the Tower. So tomorrow morning at 10AM PT in the Tower, something will happen.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Knowing Destiny 2 I could see this not going well with people getting error codes right as whatever happensor something lol.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I can hear the rumbling of the stampede of FFXIV fans approaching to scoff at it being called a "Fortnite type event" despite it happening in FFXIV first.

Anyways, I feel like these kind of things have already jumped the shark now that we're hitting a third iteration of it and inevitable moment when Fortnite does it for a second time.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
Hopefully its something decent, Fortnite events are always fun to watch. Preparing myself to be beavered.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What even is the Almighty? Honestly, I've played several hundred hours of this damn game and have no idea what it is or why I should care, besides being some new cinematic thing to see

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
What even is the Almighty? Honestly, I've played several hundred hours of this damn game and have no idea what it is or why I should care, besides being some new cinematic thing to see

It is the ship that Ghaul was on. You fought through the ship and up to the top in the closing levels of the base Destiny 2 campaign. It was near mercury at the time if I recall since you had to avoid the sun in one of the exterior levels.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
Live event? it's just going to be cutscene, a slightly changed tower and then we all get an emblem.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London

Spoiler for the Destiny 2 original campaign:

It's the Red Legion starkiller flagship. It was going to destroy the sun until we disabled it and was lying near Mercury until the Red Legion set it on a suicide run towards Earth this season.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Is this (10am PT) taking place at 6 or 7pm UK time?

It's a Cabal ship/superweapon that you visit during the main story of Destiny 2. It's been apart of the current season's narrative too as it has been set adrift... targeted at earth, on a direct collision course with the Traveler and the Last Great City.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the fact that error codes, especially in the tower have been at an all-time high this season, I'm sure this is going to be a complete disaster. Can't wait.

I literally got beaver'd out of the tower while typing this lmao

StillEdge

Oct 29, 2017
Do you think DLC will have major sales after this? Xbox has a decent upgrade sale right now.

I for some reason only missing Forsaken so I doubt I'll get any good individual sale.

Last edited:

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the fact that error codes, especially in the tower have been at an all-time high this season, I'm sure this is going to be a complete disaster. Can't wait.

I literally got beaver'd out of the tower while typing this lmao
The beavers are out of control, I got like 10 yesterday

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Bring shades and your fave beverages for an Almighty sunset - or an Almighty-set.

almighty-zoomedout.png

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PLAYERS: We'd like more content and less FOMO.
BUNGIE: Got it, more FOMO in your content!

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Fully expecting something to go wrong (story-wise), and for the Darkness to fuck us over somehow.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this (10am PT) taking place at 6 or 7pm UK time?

It's a Cabal ship/superweapon that you visit during the main story of Destiny 2. It's been apart of the current season's narrative too as it has been set adrift... targeted at earth, on a direct collision course with the Traveler and the Last Great City.

Wait... There's an actual ongoing narrative now? It used to be there were story missions with expansions but once those were over you just farmed the raid for gear. They've actually turned Destiny into something where stuff happens over time?

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a decent summary of what's happened since the end of Shadowkeep, for anyone like me who's missed out on most of it:

Wait... There's an actual ongoing narrative now? It used to be there were story missions with expansions but once those were over you just farmed the raid for gear. They've actually turned Destiny into something where stuff happens over time?
It's been really sloppy so far, but yeah. That's what they're trying to do with the game.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
PLAYERS: We'd like more content and less FOMO.
BUNGIE: Got it, more FOMO in your content!

Gotta love when Fortnite does something like this and it's praised from the mountaintops and then Bungie tries it and you get comments like this. For what it's worth, I don't expect much out of this live event, but I still think it's cool that Bungie is even trying it. As someone who has been playing Destiny since it first came out, I've always wanted to see them do live events of some kind. The series is perfect for this type of thing.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes, pretty significant world changes since Shadowkeep.

Built a portal in the Tower in the Season of Undying

eve-campbell-d2-tower-gate-09.jpg

In the Season of Dawn - we rescue Saint 14 from the past from being killed by the Vex-

Destiny_2_saint_14.png

ThickSoggyChipmunk-size_restricted.gif

We visit our own grave in a future timeline in a community event called 'Corridors of Time'

bastion-7-500x500.jpg

The community rebuilt the lighthouse and ushered in the return of the Trials of Osiris

7cec9440a4e0484f44d7e2727e2943a281ee6124.gifv

At current, the Red Legion, being sore losers have set the Almighty (their Star-destroying super weapon space ship) on a collision course with the last city
tumblr_oyzq1t7Wj61wuktsgo1_500.gifv

we've spent the season arming the Warmind Rasputin to get its interplanetary defences to be able to shoot it down
Season-of-the-Worthy-Trailer-Destiny-2-1024x667.jpg

Its been kinda messy to be honest, but its a living game now.

May 19, 2020
"Fortnite-like" event lmao. Let's see how many people actually show up before you start throwing that around.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Gotta love when Fortnite does something like this and it's praised from the mountaintops and then Bungie tries it and you get comments like this. For what it's worth, I don't expect much out of this live event, but I still think it's cool that Bungie is even trying it. As someone who has been playing Destiny since it first came out, I've always wanted to see them do live events of some kind. The series is perfect for this type of thing.

I honestly like these kinds of events in games, it makes the world feel more 'alive'. Very first MMO I played was Asheron's Call and they had events sort of like that. Usually monthly-events with an on-going story. I missed it myself, but from what I read and seen, there was a period where they turned the rivers red with blood and essentially the big bad (who was actually big) roamed the map, which I think was the company playing as him. There was also the Virindi enemy which I also recall kind of raided the map, killing everything on its path.

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
I have it on good authority that its a jpeg.
that you have to finish a 10-step bounty to see. Oh, and btw 3 of the steps are bugged, they'll be patched over the coming weeks.

Jokes aside, hoping that we'll get something like the last season of Destiny 1 somehow, with a refreshing of old content to give benefits to doing older activities and having a bit more guidance on what to do, rather than another FOMO-fueled bounty fest.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020
It's just to give people an idea of the concept. No need to be so snarky about it.
Fortnite is unique in that it's, like, masses of people involved, usually involves big changes to the game environment and attracts lots of outsider attention. I don't think it's unfair to say it's not a great comparison to what Destiny is doing. This is more like one of those live plot events in The Matrix Online aka for the existing fans only.

Oct 27, 2017
Did you somehow not play the story? It was probably the best story mission in the game. Shame it was never used for a strike honestly.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Hey! That's me in the OP. I finally got a tweet into an ERA thread. #LifeGoals 😊

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Just got an in-game notification saying to get to the Tower and prepare for Rasputin. It's happeninggg

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Fortnite is unique in that it's, like, masses of people involved, usually involves big changes to the game environment and attracts lots of outsider attention. I don't think it's unfair to say it's not a great comparison to what Destiny is doing. This is more like one of those live plot events in The Matrix Online aka for the existing fans only.
Fortnite-like just means its the same concept - a live in-game thing everyone playing can experience at the same time.

Your argument seems to be based on popularity. No one is make that comparison - but I secretly hope Sir Paul McCartney shows up to perform 'Hope for the Future'.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
This happens in 45mins right? Hopefully this sparks something good ahead of the reveal later this week.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
NPC civilians in the tower are actually looking up and pointing at the Almighty.

Because its fucking huge now.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
One of the NPCs near Ikora is taking a selfie with the Almighty, lmfao

Also, fuck I wish I got to rank 99. The None Shall Pass emote looks so cool:

z7FaAHD.jpg