Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
omg omg omg

Disney is returning to Notre Dame.

The studio is developing a live-action remake of The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. Disney is tapping Tony-winning playwright David Henry Hwang to pen the feature that will draw from the 1831 Victor Hugo novel and the 1996 Disney animated movie.

Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz, who earned an Oscar nomination for their work on the 1996 feature, will return to handle the music. The movie will not draw from the staged Hunchback production from Menken and Schwartz.

Mandeville is producing along with Josh Gad, who starred in Mandeville and Disney's 2017 live-action Beauty and the Beast, which grossed more than $1 billion at the box office.

Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/live-action-hunchback-movie-works-at-disney-1176584

This has always been one of my all-time favorite Disney films, but also one in need of some massive improvements. I wish them the best of luck in doing this justice.

That being said, the part about not drawing from the staged production seems odd. It has so many good songs! If "Made of Stone" doesn't make an appearance I'm going to be extremely sad.

Lock me in a bell tower if old (searched "Hunchback" and nothing).

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This actually has potential because the animated version is a masterpiece and a disaster depending what part is playing

doinkies

Jun 20, 2018
The one live-action remake I actually really want to see...though I think they should at least put some songs from the stage production in it too.

Nov 1, 2017
They're burning through these properties so fast. At this rate, they're gonna be doing a live action reboot of Mars Needs Moms in a few years.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Literally the only live action remake of a Disney animated film I have any interest in. Great news.

Hunchback is my favorite Disney film and I'd love to see how they adapt it.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Alan Menken? You have my attention.

Will they bother bringing back the gargoyles? Most everyone agrees they were the film's Achilles heel, but an actual commitment to the "Quasi's imagination" concept could work wonders.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I was always really uncomfortable with the way that they made Esmeralda the object of Quasimodo's desires and goals and then handed her off to the handsome strongman and swept Quasimodo's feelings under the rug because because they were inconvenient.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Quasimodo needed to "get the girl," but their set up and follow through for that arc was reeeeeally bad.

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
Hope that Quasimodo is a "real" person and not only CG like Gollum!

Gollum is great CG but I would like to see real diversity in the role somehow

If CG, would Andy Serkis be a good fit or who should have that role?

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think we're scraping the bottom of the barrel for live actions remakes now. This was a pretty dull and low-buzz film when it was new... part of the decline after the Little Mermaid, B&B, Aladdin golden streak.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Really weird not to draw on the stage musical which fixes a number of the issues of the animated version.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Get rid of the Gargoyles and this will be the first remake they've done that's better than the original.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Did you guys see the direct video sequel of the animated movie lol

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Just getting in front and pointing out this is the best villain song in history and they'd better include it

Oct 30, 2017
How is Disney this creatively bankrupt? "Well our attempts at new movie like Lone Ranger failed. Let's just remake the old movies people actually liked."

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Whoever gets cast as Frollo better have some chops.

Not to mention who they get for Clopin.

Bells of Notre DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Man. There's not a man alive who can play Frollo and nail Hellfire.

Don't do it, Disney. Just don't.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
It's not accurate to the book, but as its own thing it's pretty damn good. I want to hear this intro theme booming in IMAX!

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
latest

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's not accurate to the book, but as its own thing it's pretty damn good. I want to hear this intro theme booming in IMAX!

To be fair, EVERY adaptation of Hunchback changes a ton of shit from the original book. If they took the base Disney film and cut the gargoyles out and used that as the basis for the live action adaptation it COULD work...but it won't, because Disney's cynical remakes always miss the point of why these films worked (or in Hunchback;s case didn't work) in the first place.