Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I play many PC games with a PS4 controller and I was wondering if there was a list anywhere of all the major games that include the option to display PlayStation button prompts rather than the standard Xbox A/B/X/Y.

If no such list exists, let's just make it here.

I know for a fact that the PC version of Dark Souls Remastered detects if you're using a PS4 controller and changes the button prompts accordingly.

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
From my experience, enabling Steam's own controller options from within Big Picture enables you to play Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy with the PS4 controller as if it was just like on a PS4 (Same for Xbox One or a generic Xbox 360 controller if you can assign Steam to make it look like an Xbox 360 controller, I think. Haven't tried a Nintendo Switch controller since I don't own one). The port was done by Iron Galaxy.

But again, this kind of stuff is quite standard in so many PC games that it would be hard to believe if there's not a port that lacks such a thing

OH, forgot that Titanfall 2 and Watch Dogs 2 also natively support this kind of thing as well (wired/wirelessly)

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I believe For Honor offers the option, but I can't get it to display anything other than Steam Controller button prompts, sadly.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Dunno if there's a list but off the top of my head you've got Hitman 2016, Hitman 2 and Monster Hunter: World which have DS4 prompts show up automatically assuming you ain't using DS4Windows or something

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I think Ubi's been good with this. I'm pretty sure like Far Cry 4 and maybe some of the newer Assassins' Creed games have DualShcok icons. I could be wrong though, going from memory.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
As a PC gamer who plays with a controller, how are you not yet accustomed to Xbox inputs? I play with a DS4 too and get along just fine. Does this actually trip anyone up?

Also, why rely on native solutions when you can just use DS4windows?

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
As a PC gamer who plays with a controller, how are you not yet accustomed to Xbox inputs? I play with a DS4 too and get along just fine. Does this actually trip anyone up?

1) people should probably be used to it by now, agreed.
2) Tools to convert to MS's Xinput system (as opposed to the one that already existed for a long time in Linux that is also called xinput...) shouldn't have to exist because Xinput being a controller specific thing should have to b a thing. Directinput already existed and was fine and Xinput was yet another shitty MS PC move along with GFWL that shouldn't have existed that was touted to make it easy to developers when the real reason behind it was to get more of a lock on the PC gaming crowd by forcing them t use peripherals that used Xinput (which, at the time, were only 360 controllers).

to the thread: 20XX lets you pick what buttons prompts to use, it isn't even automatic.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Enabling PS4 controller support in Steam's menu often has the opposite effect, and makes games display Xbox prompts... But, more annoyingly, most PC games will not work with a PS4 controller wirelessly unless you do this or use Sony's official adapter. Just trying to use the PS4 controller through bluetooth AND get the PS4 prompts is an exercise in frustration. So if you want PS4 prompts, and you don't have an official sony adapter, you have to play the game wired with USB instead of playing wirelessly.

As for specifc games, the only one I had to add are Hitman (2016) and Hitman 2 (2018)

MEGrika

Oct 25, 2017
Downloaded Assassin's Creed Unity the other day since I got it for free but it turns out that the PS4 button prompts only work for the original Dualshock 4 and not the Pro version so that was disappointing. Basically killed any desire to play for me.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Downloaded Assassin's Creed Unity the other day since I got it for free but it turns out that the PS4 button prompts only work for the original Dualshock 4 and not the Pro version so that was disappointing. Basically killed any desire to play for me.
It should, are you using USB or bluetooth? As above, many PC games absolutely will not play nice with PS4 controllers and it's prompts if done via bluetooth versus USB.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
1) people should probably be used to it by now, agreed.
2) Tools to convert to MS's Xinput system (as opposed to the one that already existed for a long time in Linux that is also called xinput...) shouldn't have to exist because Xinput being a controller specific thing should have to b a thing. Directinput already existed and was fine and Xinput was yet another shitty MS PC move along with GFWL that shouldn't have existed that was touted to make it easy to developers when the real reason behind it was to get more of a lock on the PC gaming crowd by forcing them t use peripherals that used Xinput (which, at the time, were only 360 controllers).
Good info and I'm with you on all that, but I guess I'm just failing to understand the end goal of such a list. Are there players out there who would pass on an otherwise solid PC game due to a lack of native DS4 support?

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I often wish there was a way to switch a game to Dual shock button prompts even though I'm playing on an X1 controller because the PS layout is burned into my brain after 20+ years

MEGrika

Oct 25, 2017
It should, are you using USB or bluetooth? As above, many PC games absolutely will not play nice with PS4 controllers and it's prompts if done via bluetooth versus USB.
Was USB. Multiple people were complaining about it. Unity only recognizes the original dualshock 4's ID from the sounds of it. Maybe Sony's official adapter would make it work but I'm not that interested in paying money to get it working.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Good info and I'm with you on all that, but I guess I'm just failing to understand the end goal of such a list. Are there players out there who would pass on an otherwise solid PC game due to a lack of native DS4 support?
I'm honestly not sure. Aside from the left stick placement and touchpad, the buttons layouts are identical so it should just be a muscle memory type of thing if you've used both. We do have, however, some users who actually didn't own a PC controller until now and the "easiest" (and certainly cheapest) solution to using a controller on PC may be to just buy a DS4 and connect via USB or BT.

Button prompts are a bit of a shitshow in general, though, because there are some games ported from the 360 that only have Xbox buttons, even if you're using a keyboard (XBLA ported titles are notorious for this).

OP
OP

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
To be clear here, I'm specifically talking about the option to display PS4 button prompts (X/O/square/triangle), NOT support for the controller in general.

Pretty much any game on Steam can be played with the PS4 pad now that Steam Big Picture has native support for it.

How hard is it really for developers to add an option to the display settings menu that lets you choose between Xbox and PlayStation button prompts? If I ever make a game I will include that for sure, it's literally just swapping out some images.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018

I've confused the Xbox X button prompt on my DS4 more times than I'd like to admit.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
For those unaware, the reason why you have to disable the "PS4 controller config" option in Steam to get the PlayStation prompts to show is because all that option does is make games see your PS4 controller as an Xbox controller, which helps with compatibility issues sometimes but makes it impossible for the game to detect that you're actually using a DualShock.

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
"Full Throttle" has the DS4 controller option in-game. Just make sure to disable PS4 configuration if you're playing on Steam.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I use the Sony DS4 USB adapter and it works pretty good, but I just use it for stuff like katamari. Most times I prefer using the Xbox one controller because it 'just works' in everything and has the right button prompts.

I've confused the Xbox X button prompt on my DS4 more times than I'd like to admit.
Its even worse with Nintendo controllers, they have the same A, B, X, Y buttons but their positions are all moved around.

Feb 15, 2019

PC is my main platform, but every time a new Switch title comes out that I play for even as much as a day or 2. I get completely fucked over while playing that Switch game and for a bit when I switch back to PC.