Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
It's also a nice explanation of how developers can benefit from ray-tracing.

Segway to Glasswire if old.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
using only 2 games, with 1 of them being shadow of the tomb raider which only uses RT for shadows which is definitely barely noticable... cmon son

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Every now and then I do watch a video from Linus, but imo he doesn't really have the best analysis as it doesn't go too in-depth and his overall conclusion isn't really that informing. Watching it so far, these videos are always formed around his proposition and every argument is skewed towards that, which is kinda bad as his video also reaches the tech-layman.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
The tech is still early, but i think the noticeability of it'll depend on the game of course. No idea why they only used Minecraft and TR, though

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Ray tracing isn't transformative enough for me to care about it.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They didn't use Control... thats like the game to RTX on. Come on.
Hell any kind of recent game using it would be nice (minecraft being fine to test it with)

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
It's a trash comparison. These are all games built with rasterization and the same old tricks. No shit raytracing shoehorned into them doesn't really pop out. But look at something like Metro Exodus. I could tell which one's raytraced and which one isn't in seconds. As more and more games integrate RT from the beginning of their development, the gap will become more obvious.

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Haven't watched the video yet.

But in my experience:
RT Shadows and Lighting - I can barely tell half the time
RT Reflections - Extremely noticeable, and what I actually like using RT for.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
Not a great video as usual tbh.
The choice of games is not very interesting, and it's not surprising or news that the average gamer does not (and doesn't need to) now the difference.
Either a game looks pleasing or it doesn't, that's all they care about.

That said, the definition of ray tracing, path tracing and rasterisation was atrocious, so maybe people that cannot tell the difference are excused lol.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
His end-point is the best point. It saves developers a lot of time with RT.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a trash comparison. These are all games built with rasterization and the same old tricks. No shit raytracing shoehorned into them doesn't really pop out. But look at something like Metro Exodus. I could tell which one's raytraced and which one isn't in seconds. As more and more games integrate RT from the beginning of their development, the gap will become more obvious.
Exacly! Despite him doing his research(As it shows on the video), it still come as uninformed and falsely objective video. I guess he wanted a casual reaction from RT, but alas. Regardless, Ray-Tracing is the future of real-time rendering and has a lot of positives for developers.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
This was a shit video. He chose games where raytracing wasnt really pushed and people who were even remotely tech inclined were able to note the difference.

seroun

Banned
Oct 25, 2018
Yikes on the examples used.. RT is a game changer whether people like it or not.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should have picked Metro Exodus, Control and Cyberpunk. My guess is that everyone would have easily spotted the differences then.

BoredLemon

Nov 11, 2017
It feels like they made the conclusion beforehand and then specifically choose games with least noticeable RT implementations to get there.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Personally speaking, I feel like trying to hit native 4k is more of a waste of resources when image reconstruction techniques like DLSS exist.

Raytracing is only gonna be used more as time goes on and while it may take awhile, you won't see devs going back to rasterization after making the shift.

So I hope Nvidia and AMD keeps on improving their DLSS and Super Resolution tech instead.

Also this was a very poor choice of games as examples and bad timing when you have the Metro Exodus developers going entirely raytracing now (and with great results).

He's right that you really don't need to rush and get a RTX card right now but I wouldn't be so confident even in 5 years.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been saying this for years, but I've yet to see a single example of ray tracing that justifies the performance hit.

Chippewa Barr