Votes: 80 12.4%

• Total voters

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
exoplanets.nasa.gov

Life in the Universe: What are the Odds? - NASA Science

We don't know when, or even if, we'll find life beyond Earth, but NASA scientists continue the hunt among the thousands of exoplanets confirmed in the galaxy so far.

1675_AWA_4_illo1280.jpeg

As humanity casts an ever-wider net across the cosmos, capturing evidence of thousands of worlds, an ancient question haunts us: Is anybody out there?

The good news: We know vastly more than any previous generation. Our galaxy is crowded with exoplanets – planets around other stars. A healthy percentage of them are small, rocky worlds, of a similar size and likely similar composition to our home planet.

Now the bad news. We have yet to find another "Earth" with life, intelligent or not. Observing signs of possible microbial life in exoplanet atmospheres is currently just out of reach. No convincing evidence of advanced technology – artificial signals by radio or other means, or the telltale sign of, say, massive extraterrestrial engineering projects – has yet crossed our formidable arrays of telescopes in space or on the ground.

Drake's list can be a good conversation starter, and a useful way to frame the complex questions around the possibility of other life. But these days, scientists don't spend a great deal of time discussing it, Domagal-Goldman said.

Instead, they use a narrower yardstick: the habitable zone.

Every star, like every campfire, has a definable zone of radiated warmth. Too close, and your marshmallow – or your planet – might end up as nothing more than a charred cinder. Too far away, and its surface remains cold and unappetizing.

The habitable zone concept is not yet definitive. Small, rocky worlds like ours that orbit other stars are too far away to determine whether they have atmospheres, at least using present-day technology.

That's where teams like the one co-led by Kopparapu and Domagal-Goldman come in. The space telescopes and instruments now on their drawing boards are meant to be powerful enough to peer into these atmospheres and identify the molecules present. That will tell us which gases dominate.

She studies how to use the data gathered so far on exoplanets to refine designs for future space telescopes.

Over the past quarter century, thousands of exoplanets have been confirmed in a Milky Way galaxy that likely holds trillions. Thousands more will come to light in the years ahead. Tools like the habitable zone will help planet hunters sort through these growing ranks to pick the most likely candidates for supporting life.

"This is one of the questions we get from the public often: If there are aliens, how are we going to recognize them if they're really weird?" Domagal-Goldman said. "How do we find what we would consider to be weird life? And how do we make sure not to be tricked by strange, dead planets that look alive – mirages in the desert?"

Life on planets around other stars also might be hidden in a subsurface ocean encased in ice, invisible even to our most powerful space telescopes. Moons of Jupiter and Saturn are known to harbor such oceans, some revealing through remote sensing at least a few of the characteristics we expect for habitable worlds.

Where is everybody?

The question has fueled more than 70 years of debate, but boils down to a simple observation. Our Milky Way galaxy has plenty of stars, plenty of planets, and plenty of time to develop intelligent lifeforms – some of whom might well have had billions of years to develop interstellar travel.

Yet so far, we've seen no sign of such technology, nor heard a peep of conversation. Why is the cosmos so profoundly silent?

"If life had so much time to evolve, why haven't we found it?" Batalha asks, to summarize the question. "Why isn't life just crawling everywhere in the galaxy, or the universe? It could be a combination of a lot of things. Space travel is very difficult for us."

Experts offer many reasons why somebody, or something, might be out there, yet beyond our detection. On the other hand, the ultra-cautious might remind us that, while a lifeless cosmos seems unlikely, we have exactly zero information one way or the other.

Still, scientists like Kopparapu say they like our chances of finding some form of life, and are hard at work on the telescopes and instruments that could make that future, party-starting epiphany a reality.

"It's not a question of 'if,' it's a question of 'when' we find life on other planets," he said. "I'm sure in my lifetime, in our lifetime, we will know if there is life on other worlds."

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
IMO the universe is WAY too big to say there's no chance. I would not be surprised if there is some sort of life in our own solar system, let alone galaxy or universe.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Isn't it almost statistically impossible that we're completely alone in the universe?

Ayy Lmao

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
The universe is large enough to potentially have created life on multiple planets, yet at the same time it is also large enough for none of these groups to ever see evidence of the others.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
The odds that, in the entire universe, we're the only intelligent life seem astronomically lower than the odds that we're not, given the timescale and size involved.

I highly recommend everyone watch the most recent Cosmos series that came out last year. It's a masterpiece.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Even extremely rare things exist in enormous quantities. That's how big the universe is.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Either there is other life elsewhere in the universe, OR some sort of god is actually real and specifically created life on Earth. There's really no possible inbetween.

The reason we haven't detected anything is because the universe is massive. Our galaxy is massive beyond comprehension. The furthest mademade radio signals haven't even traveled 1% of the distance across the Milky Way.

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
If we find even unicellular life in our solar system, that would be extremely telling of the probability of life elsewhere in the universe. I'm holding out for the possibility of simple life living in the oceans of Europa, Enceladus, or Titan, maybe even in the underground lakes on Mars or the clouds of Venus too. Lots of potential habitats for extraterrestrial life close by.

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The universe is large enough to potentially have created life on multiple planets, yet at the same time it is also large enough for none of these groups to ever see evidence of the others.
Yet at the same time, it is so large that there is enough of a chance for multiple of these groups to find each other and meet :D

Damn, the universe is so incredibly fascinating.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's statistically impossible that life would only exist on Earth.
The real question is: will we ever be able to find said 'other' life given the absurd distances and obstacles involved?

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
They haven't found alien life in the Milky Way galaxy but that doesn't mean much.

The Milky Way galaxy is in the Virgo Supercluster which has 1300 galaxies in it and there are 10 million superclusters.

Even if you figure there is intelligent life on only 1 planet in 1 entire galaxy that would still mean billions of planets with intelligent life.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I think it's almost impossible that we're the only planet with life in the Milky Way, let alone the universe.

But I doubt we'll ever encounter life.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
4rq7BDF.jpg

As far as I know, every dot in this picture is an individual galaxy in a region of space.

Is it possible that in all that's depicted in this picture, let alone the entire universe, there's just us?

Sure.

But man oh man, is there an awful lot of possibility out there.

NeoBasch

Banned
Sep 17, 2020
Idk. I used to be optimistic that life as advanced as ours existed elsewhere, but after studying astrophysics and probability I think it's going to be pretty rare regardless. Now as for life existing at different times in the universe elsewhere, 100% yes. :D I'm just not sure what that form of life entailed.

But I just keep going back to the trope of an intelligent, intergalactic, space-faring civilization in sci-fi... if one did exist, why haven't they come visit to set our world straight? Jeez, I couldn't stand by and watch half the crap devolve into what it has if I with others had the ability to help change their situation peacefully for the better.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
"Astronomers estimate there are about 100 thousand million stars in the Milky Way alone. "

"By using the Hubble Space Telescope, astronomers have estimated that some 100 billion galaxies must exist in the cosmos"

that's like 1 gajillion stars. there's gonna be more than one planet with life on it. Chances are we will never come in contact with them because space is fucking hugeeeee

But I just keep going back to the trope of an intelligent, intergalactic, space-faring civilization in sci-fi... if one did exist, why haven't they come visit to set our world straight? Jeez, I couldn't stand by and watch half the crap devolve into what it has if I with others had the ability to help change their situation peacefully for the better.
how are these space faring races going to find us? we've only been transmitting into space for about 100 years. That's like 200 light years in any direction. Which is nothing compared to the 110,000 light year diameter of the Milky Way.

sp6bVii.png

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
"Astronomers estimate there are about 100 thousand million stars in the Milky Way alone. "

"By using the Hubble Space Telescope, astronomers have estimated that some 100 billion galaxies must exist in the cosmos"

that's like 1 gajillion stars. there's gonna be more than one planet with life on it. Chances are we will never come in contact with them because space is fucking hugeeeee

Not gonna lie but even now to this day the sheer size of the universe blows my mind.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
100%.

It whether we ever cross paths or they came before, extinct or come after us. It's just too huge to not be true.

Chasex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Either there is other life elsewhere in the universe, OR some sort of god is actually real and specifically created life on Earth. There's really no possible inbetween.

The reason we haven't detected anything is because the universe is massive. Our galaxy is massive beyond comprehension. The furthest mademade radio signals haven't even traveled 1% of the distance across the Milky Way.

It's certainly possible that life (as we understand it) is so statistically improbable its only happened on earth. A lot of conditions had to be right, a lot of time had to pass, it's only happened once, and its almost ended completely numerous times. So I don't understand what you mean by there's no in between.

My bet is there are many intelligent species separated by deep space and deep time, but given the laws of physics they never interact. Instead retreating to VR spaces where the fundamental physics are not a blocker. Why waste time engineering solutions to leverage energy on a solar scale just to travel to a planet with a bunch of dumb apes? Just procedurally generate something and program your AI consciousness to feel good and content for eternity.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Prokaryotic life, or its equivalents, are probably pretty common. Complex life? Especially life that leads to technological civilisations? I'm not as sure about.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Life formed here, it has to be able to form elsewhere. It's just that the cosmos is so vast, that the universe could be teeming with life and we just wouldn't know it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always found the whole "is there life in the universe" question dumb. because we have proof of a non-zero chance that life can spring up. to say that there isn't other life in the 13B lightyears of the observable universe at any point in those 13B years is just foolishness.

how how advance that life is, is impossible to say. but we can at least say it's on the level of us at any given point

Drensch

Oct 27, 2017
Is say it's close to a certitude. But when you say life, if you mean bipedal people? Maybe not. But if you include single celled creatures or a much broader idea of what's a living thing, the universe is so big that is say it's quite possible. I think the Andromeda effect or sphere had a discussion on this. It's quite likely that any life in the universe would be hard for us to understand that it is indeed a living thing at first glance.

ZeroRay

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the current age of the universe and my somewhat educated belief that intelligent life is very, very rare - even only including planets that can support it:

I'd estimate one active civilization per galaxy currently

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
The odds that, in the entire universe, we're the only intelligent life seem astronomically lower than the odds that we're not, given the timescale and size involved.

I highly recommend everyone watch the most recent Cosmos series that came out last year. It's a masterpiece.
What's the estimated survival rate for a civilization though? If a civilization can only survive 0.00000001 percent of the elapsed time it may not have lined up for us.

Oct 31, 2017
I find it inconceivable that that their isn't life out there somewhere. Intelligent, self aware life though? Who knows. Given the distances and timescales involved it's entirely possible civilisations would never meet or even be aware of one anothers existence

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Life, as in any kind of life, seems totally certain unless our understanding of the nature of the universe is completely wrong. I don't think there are many people with any level of knowledge on the subject who would be surprised if we found some kind of life within our solar system, and that finding would imply that life was extremely common.

But I just keep going back to the trope of an intelligent, intergalactic, space-faring civilization in sci-fi... if one did exist, why haven't they come visit to set our world straight?
It's difficult to know what might be possible or impossible (or uneconomical) for a civilisation like that. The sci-fi civilisations you're imagining have limitations that are based more on plot than reality (and that often get broken or removed anyway). Real-world limitations might be very much more restrictive and there's no reason to expect interstellar travel to be anything other than a really big deal even for a civilisation with considerably better tech than ours.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
There's probably thousands, if not millions of life forms in our galaxy alone, let alone the universe. We still are on our little tiny pixel of a planet in a sea of pretty much infinite space. Y'all who actually think there's no other life, or that it's even a question or even a probability are all crazy.

crazy, I tell you.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem is people combine two different questions "is there life?" and "is there intelligent life?".

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
life formed here 3.5 billion years ago. it's possible that life could have already formed a couple billion years before that and died out a billion years before dinosaurs hit the scene.

my headcanon is that dark energy in the universe is cosmic pollution from some sort of alien species from a billion years ago.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There are so many galaxies, let alone stars and planets in the universe that I find it inconceivable that whatever caused life to spring up on Earth hasn't happened somewhere else many times already.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Of course there's other life out there.

Oct 30, 2017
So among the trillions of stars and... whatever number comes after, planets, you don't think another tech civ exists?
Well, it's a possibility.

As an example of a low estimate, combining NASA's star formation rates, the rare Earth hypothesis value of fp · ne · fl = 10−5,[55] Mayr's view on intelligence arising, Drake's view of communication, and Shermer's estimate of lifetime:

R∗ = 1.5–3 yr−1,[19] fp · ne · fl = 10−5,[33] fi = 10−9,[38] fc = 0.2[Drake, above], and L = 304 years[46]
gives:

N = 1.5 × 10−5 × 10−9 × 0.2 × 304 = 9.1 × 10−13
i.e., suggesting that we are probably alone in this galaxy, and possibly in the observable universe.

(...)

But results for this vary drastically, depending on the (accuracy of the) parameters.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone once likened the reason why we haven't seen any evidence of life in the universe this way - we have scooped up bucketfuls of water out of the ocean and thought "where's all the fish?". Life is out there, we just don't have the means to adequately scan yet. I'm sure in some areas of the universe it's the equivalent of a coral reef, life seemingly everywhere. But at the moment we're getting tiny nanopixels of distant planets and trying to extrapolate in indirect ways if life is there. I just don't think we have the technology yet.

HazySaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
West Yorkshire, UK
The universe is way too big that for there not to be a single other planet capable of supporting life, it has to be out there.

Also we're basing the possibility of life on our own biology, for all we know life has evolved for far more extreme environments than Earth

NeoBasch

Banned
Sep 17, 2020

how are these space faring races going to find us? we've only been transmitting into space for about 100 years. That's like 200 light years in any direction. Which is nothing compared to the 110,000 light year diameter of the Milky Way.

sp6bVii.png

I'm not supposing they would rely on transmissions I guess. If they are so advanced to have light-speed travel using warp drives to alter space and skip time. I'd imagine they'd have much more of the universe mapped compared to us. So my question would be why haven't they found us if they are capable of traveling huge distances like that?

That's just my pessimistic side though. I'd love to see a peaceful space-faring civilization. I love sci-fi!

Also I thought I remembered reading once just how rare and long it takes for garden worlds to come into being. While the universe is huge, I imagine time to be longer still. How many rocks do we know exist in space compared to astronomical bodies that fall within garden world conditions right now?

Now if we were talking about non-space-faring species, I'd imagine it's much more likely they exist alongside us elsewhere in the universe. However because of how long life can take to develop even on world's that meet garden world conditions, I put my vote under the last option. I truly have no idea, and I'm eager to follow the news as we discover more information to see if we can answer that question. Until then, I guess I just don't know. I think it's possible for there to be life elsewhere at this point in time, but I also think there may not be based on probability and time.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not supposing they would rely on transmissions I guess. If they are so advanced to have light-speed travel using warp drives to alter space and skip time. I'd imagine they'd have much more of the universe mapped compared to us. So my question would be why haven't they found us if they are capable of traveling huge distances like that?

That's just my pessimistic side though. I'd love to see a peaceful space-faring civilization. I love sci-fi!

Also I thought I remembered reading once just how rare and long it takes for garden worlds to come into being. While the universe is huge, I imagine time to be longer still. How many rocks do we know exist in space compared to astronomical bodies that fall within garden world conditions right now?

Now if we were talking about non-space-faring species, I'd imagine it's much more likely they exist alongside us elsewhere in the universe. However because of how long life can take to develop even on world's that meet garden world conditions, I put my vote under the last option. I truly have no idea, and I'm eager to follow the news as we discover more information to see if we can answer that question. Until then, I guess I just don't know. I think it's possible for there to be life elsewhere at this point in time, but I also think there may not be based on probability and time.
You're basically asking about the Fermi paradox.

Wikipedia article lists a lot of possible answers, but noone knows.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of probability? Yes.

In terms of practicality? No. Since we're never going to come in contact contact them.

So i vot ay lmao.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
So among the trillions of stars and... whatever number comes after, planets, you don't think another tech civ exists?
Possibly, at least anywhere close enough in space/time to matter. Life emerged on Earth 3.5 billion years ago, and up to only a few thousand years ago there was no technological civilisations here, a long time of nothing. And Earth/the solar system seem relatively nice and stable for life compared to most.
And then there's the Fermi paradox. Spacefaring civilisations could have been around for billions of years already, and estimates put colonising the galaxy at between 10-100 million years. Long to us but not much on galactic timelines. The basic premise of the paradox is that they should have been here by now, millions-billions of years ago, so where are they? We also don't see any evidence of anyone out there.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA

how are they going to find us. there's billions of galaxies and even more stars and planets. This is not a needle in a haystack, this is a single grain of sand in all of the oeans of the world x 1,000,000,000.

unless these advance races created semi-sentient probes to send to every star system in every galaxy?

hal-hefner-2001-the-monolith-hal-hefner-2.jpg
\\
And then there's the Fermi paradox. Spacefaring civilisations could have been around for billions of years already, and estimates put colonising the galaxy at between 10-100 million years. Long to us but not much on galactic timelines. The basic premise of the paradox is that they should have been here by now, millions-billions of years ago, so where are they? We also don't see any evidence of anyone out there.
there's probably a giant space faring culture in the center of our milky way, like in Farscape or Star Wars but we're too far out in the edge for them to give a fuck. Also the Fermi Paradox is a theory. And it wasn't even created by Fermi.