GK86

Oct 25, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iylZD9RaYek

RLn1xWG.gif

Article link.

It's been a year since we saw LG Display's 65-inch rollable TV prototype at CES, and now LG Electronics is bringing it to market as the company's flagship 4K OLED TV for 2019. The finished Signature OLED TV R that consumers will be able to buy sometime this spring — for an astronomical, premium price — is quite similar to that prototype, but LG has refined the base station and added a 100-watt Dolby Atmos speaker for powerful built-in audio.

LG is going several steps further by making the TV go away completely whenever you're not watching. It drops slowly and very steadily into the base and, with the push of a button, will rise back up in 10 seconds or so. It all happens rather quietly, too. You can't see the actual "roll" when the TV is closed in, sadly; a transparent base would've been great for us nerds to see what's happening inside the base as the TV comes in or unfurls, but the white is certainly a little more stylish. Functionally, LG tells me it hasn't made many changes to the way the LG Display prototype worked aside from enhancing the base. I didn't get to ask about durability testing — how many times the OLED TV R has been tested to go up and down, for example — but that's something I'm hoping to get an answer to.

And damn, will it be expensive.

Remember that the company's "wallpaper" OLED TV started at $8,000. This is significantly more impressive, so I'm expecting it will be significantly pricier than that. For now, LG is only saying that it will be priced at a premium level when it hits retail in the spring — probably around March. So it'll be a few years before many people can afford a rollable 4K TV. But at least you'll get to admire its engineering at your local Best Buy in the meantime.

Last edited:

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Popop screens? Yessss

We in the future now

I wonder what the durability is on these things if they're constantly being manipulated in this way?

OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Popop screens? Yessss

We in the future now

I wonder what the durability is on these things if they're constantly being manipulated in this way?

https://mashable.com/article/lg-roll-up-oled-tv/#WNfG8HkTvmqW

"It uses a flexible substrate rather than a rigid piece of glass that the OLED material is deposited on," explains LG's director of product marketing, Tim Alessi. He says the TV is rated to last at least 50,000 cycles of being rolled up and then out again, so prospective buyers shouldn't have to worry too much about the display degrading over time.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pah. Give me a TV I can roll up like a tube of wrapping paper and carry away under one arm, and I'm with you.

May 30, 2018
Lol that seems so pointless

If I had such an amazing TV I would keep it on display to flex on everyone I invite

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Does this mean the wallpaper model is going to get more affordable? Probably not but it's nice to dream.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I can't tell you how many times I've thought to myself, "Man, I wish I could stare at the wall behind my TV. If only it rolled up into a giant box."

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
thats hot. hopefully the retracting mechanism is designed to last forever or to be easily fixed though. in all likelihood, it would outlast the tv itself anyways if properly taken care of.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Such a TV would be amazing in a space where minimalism is trying to be maintained. Imagine going in to some rich persons place all like, oh damn, we gon be reading books or something? and this massive 65" alien tech unfurls from this tacky golden box made to look like it contains the dead sea scrolls. Thats what fuck you money gets you.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks really neat, in 10ish years when this tech is relatively inexpensive it will make it really easy to transport tvs for special events, I'd love to be able to go to a smash tournament and bring a decent setup, console, reasonable sized TV and all in a small bag

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
And if I'm paying all that money for a roll up screen, I want to see it roll up. Transparent box please. Gimmie that imac teal.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Seems pointless but if I had an amazing living room space overlooking Hollywood or the Mediterranean sea and I wanted the view to be the focal point but still have an amazing TV ready to take the focus... Then this is perfect. Ah I will win Euromillions one day and show you what I mean!

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That Mars movie from back in the early 2000s (the one with Carrie Ann Moss and Val Kilmer) had some cool roll-up iPad like devices the crew used. I wonder if they will ever be able to make the technology durable enough to become portable?

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
neat, but it still takes up the same footprint on whatever you set it on. So it doesn't really space-save.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seems pointless but if I had an amazing living room space overlooking Hollywood or the Mediterranean sea and I wanted the view to be the focal point but still have an amazing TV ready to take the focus... Then this is perfect. Ah I will win Euromillions one day and show you what I mean!
I could see a room with a view being the ultimate use for this kind of screen.

Oct 28, 2017
Cool tech but even if it was affordable it seems like more work than its worth. More moving parts means more things to break.

Imm0ralKnight

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Came into this thinking I could roll the TV up like a parchment paper and bring it everywhere I go with me. Disappoint!

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Daaang how much do yall get paid at 343????? O_o

LOL not that much! I expect to get an LG OLED in a couple of years (or the equivalent at that time) We were talking about this TV over the weekend - it's kind of amazing in real life. The screen is perfectly bright, there's no artifacts or distortion or prismatic bleed that I could see. And the showroom we saw it in had it about ten inches from the "wall" (it was a demo area with a sort of drywall backdrop and a proper screen surface).

It's basically magic. The projector beam is incredibly bright when you look down the back. And everyone looks down the back, but otherwise there's no visible evidence of how it's being done. And the calibration is largely automatic so I assume laser/infra red measurements decide how to warp the projection so that it squares off when it hits the wall, which makes me a think that the original projection lens is casting some sort of really extremes parallelogram shape. Maybe somebody more technical can chime in.

But yeah if I were a billionaire, this is the kind of stupid shit I would spend my yacht money on. As it is I have a 65 inch Sony XBR with the old sony HDR flavor of 10. I do have a Yamaha Atmos soundbar, which is more expensive than the (old) Sony TV but kind of mind blowing.

This LG will likely serve the same purpose - expensive proof of concept - like a Ford GT or Corvette - designed to show off future tech and present the brand as a deluxe thought leader while they figure out future uses and get the costs down. But mark my words, you'll see roll up OLED screens in scroll-form factors within ten years. Like a poster tube basically. You'll also see OLEDs with ahesive backs you can stick to the wall. And you'll potentially be able to order custom sized screens - eventually with OLED wallpaper for entire rooms.

Netflix HQ in LA has an amazing emissive "TV" wall in its lobby that's like thirty feet tall and conforms to doorways and alcoves and stuff. It's staggering to look at but I'm not sure what the tech is (not OLED) and the image quality is a little like the display walls in Microsoft retail stores, which are also very cool.

Edit: "D3 LED tech," 23 million pixels worth. It;'s even cooler IRL.

Keep watching for the scene change. Jungle to, well, real life hipster warehouse lobby?

http://www.d3led.com/technology/display-systems-technology.html

Last edited:

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I could actually see this being incredibly useful in rooms where the TV would otherwise cover up a window. Being able to set up a TV area in front of a window is huge for certain room layouts. Otherwise, you'd just be blocking the window and it wouldn't look as good.