RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
2020-lexus-lc-500-02.jpg

Lexus has removed the LC and RC sports cars from sale in the UK, which means it now sells only hybrids and EVs, and no longer offers a V8.

The two-door GTs were approaching the end of their expected life cycles anyway, at seven and 10 years old respectively, but a spokesperson for the brand cited "legislative and homologation issues" as the reason for their withdrawal.

It is not clear, though, whether the decision was made in light of GSR2 safety regulations, the EU's new cybersecurity directive or fleet emission quotas.

Autocar understands both cars are no longer available in mainland Europe, and the UK allocation for each has been sold out.

The withdrawal of the LC and RC means Lexus's European line-up is now mainly made up of SUVs, with just the ES and LS saloons 🤠 and LM MPV remaining alongside the LBX, UX, NX, RX and RZ crossovers.

It also means all Lexus models are electrified, with the firm's naturally aspirated 5.0-litre V8 retiring along with the LC and RC. That leaves the Ford Mustang and Chevrolet Corvette as the only two series-production cars available with an atmo V8 in the UK.

The LC has been on sale since 2017 with the choice of the pure V8 or an electrified 3.5-litre V6, receiving the option of a soft-top convertible in 2020. It has sold 624 units in the UK over its lifetime.

The older RC was available with a four-cylinder hybrid from launch, but that was dropped in 2020, at which point the coupé was offered exclusively in hardcore RC F guise with a 467bhp version of the V8.

The RC was the more popular car, with 2600 units sold in the decade it was here, but Lexus sold just 15 examples last year and only 12 in 2022.
www.autocar.co.uk

Lexus line-up goes electrified only as LC and RC F retired | Autocar

Lexus drops its two coupés, meaning it no longer offers a V8 or a sports car

The LC 500 is a dream car of mine, would love to drive one before it goes away in North America in the future.

View: https://youtu.be/2HPszF7iwYw?si=L54jh-QPH2BomOUt

View: https://youtu.be/bHdVaZC8Ld0?si=j1LH_ds4wro4PwDz

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Someone a couple of streets away from me has an LC and it looks really nice in person. I've only seen it parked, never in motion, but I'm guessing it's quite fun.

A different person on that same block has a couple of early Toyota MR2s and honestly, while I'd love to take the LC out for a drive, one of those might be more fun to own.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I almost bought a used LC500 before I decided to get a Corvette C7 (also used) instead. Love the LC

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
That V8 is a dream and is bulletproof. It's almost worth overlooking the shitty infotainment. Almost.

Edit: Just saw the LC 500 in the SG video has shit canned the mousepad and it looks like it's just the interior view on the Lexus site that's lagging (I checked that before I popped off). That's good. Wish they'd do the same for the IS500.

Last edited:

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like the LC is just sitting on dealer lots here in the states. It's just such an expensive car and you're getting into a price range where your average buyer isn't prioritizing things like build quality or reliability quite as often. And if you do care about that, then at $100-$120k, you're within striking distance of a lower spec Porsche 911. Otherwise you're probably thinking Corvette which is the one of the very few GM products worth spending money on. And either one of those will be much better sports cars for doing sports car things.

If this is a segment Toyota is serious about competing in, I know they can do better. As much as I love their V8 in their more affordable options, I would have loved to have seen that now 10+ year old V10 used in something like the LC. Could they have developed a Corvette killer at a better price than the LFA? Might have been too risky of a venture but would have loved to have seen them try.

The RC/IS are the walking dead in every country especially with the death of the GS. If they return they'll only be AWD (maybe even FWD on lower trims) with the TNGA-C platform probably (Corolla/Prius/UX)? If they're ambitious they'll somehow stick it on the same platform as the LC/LS to retain the RWD bias but I'm not holding my breath.

Mar 21, 2018
As a Lexus SUV owner I would love one of these even if it's not practical. Someone up the road owns one and it's a thing of beauty in the flesh.